Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Slice of Bread
Dec 20, 2007
This lp was brilliant from start to finish, thank you making it D-Vac!
Also, could you tell us the sources you cited for the thesis in the penultimate video please? For those of us who would like some bedtime reading :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

A Slice of Bread posted:

This lp was brilliant from start to finish, thank you making it D-Vac!
Also, could you tell us the sources you cited for the thesis in the penultimate video please? For those of us who would like some bedtime reading :)

Almost all of it is from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's entry on objectification. That's the one to read if you want to know more! I read a lot of it though.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Was the girl at the end (Love Lost) the first who had independent animation when being dressed? Maybe it was just the priming from the talk of objectification, or the contrast with the boy who was a statue.

I think there are characters who reacted to being prodded and primped, but that's different from one who seems to move on her own. It's almost subversive.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.
Masterful ending to a great LP. Thanks so much!

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
This has been a brilliant thread. Thanks DeVac, for showing off all these very formulaic and horrible games. It's sad to think what these games are doing to the girls that play them. It all portrays a single standard of beauty and it's horrible.

But I've loved taking part in this thread and showing off some Girl Games on my own. It's been fun :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That was the best possible ending I think. To anything.

Whole LP has been pretty interesting, but it was nice to have something that was just funny without horrible implications. And really, I don't think anything you did in that last video would have seemed out of place in that weird Hollywood Beauty Salon game.

Thanks, Dvac, and everybody else.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 19, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

McDragon posted:

Whole LP has been pretty interesting, but it was nice to have something that was just funny without horrible implications. And really, I don't think anything you did in that last video would have seemed out of place in that weird Hollywood Beauty Salon game.

I actually recreated everything she does to her face in the original game in order

Thanks everybody!!!!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
I have to ask, was the running paint on the doll's irises intentional? If so, then that was simply ingenious.

Thank you for this LP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the thread D-Vac! It was edutational. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 19, 2014

Kamikaze Scotsman
Dec 14, 2013

So long girl games; we will miss you.

This was a brilliant LP D-Vac. Thank you for doing it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the thread D-Vac! It was edutational. :v:
Tell me there's an LP section.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
This has been one of the best LPs ever, as well as an awesome thread. Thanks DVac (and everyone else!).

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
This was not only one of the best LPs to come out of Something Awful in awhile, but you managed to simultaneously make the best HowToBasic video, and at the same time, the most disturbing HowToBasic video ever.

Well done Devious Vacuum you crazy genius you.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Men expanding to fill available space.

Goons.txt

Also, D-Vac, when you said SPORTS (from "participate in SPORTS" iirc) I could not help but think of Powerthirst.

Not even finished watching the Makeover video. And it is glorious. A perfect end to the LP.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 19, 2014

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
This was an amazing thread, D Vac! I'm also psyched my named was in the credits. That video is the best thing my forum name will ever be attached to.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I usually like to think I'm at least somewhat conscious of all the horrible objectification, sexism, etc ingrained in our culture/s, but hearing it all laid out like that in the second-last video... that sort of thing always gives me this feeling of creeping horror at how insidious it all is. So thanks for that. :v:

More seriously though, thank you for all your hard work on the LP, DeVac! I can't really imagine a better ending than that final video. That impromptu blue-paint solitary tear really was too perfect.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
I hate to say it, but that makeover video isn't representative of the girl games I've seen - the music is too good and it even loops correctly! What kind of hack job is this?

Ahem.

It's not every day you get an LP that's not just exemplary but transformative. Prior to watching it, I would have scoffed at the possibility of the medium to support a discussion as weighty as the need for social upheaval in a genuine and clear way, and I am incredibly proud to be made to eat my words.

So thanks for breaking the drat door down, basically.

I'm a staunch, angry-rear end feminist; getting a concise and powerful statement in favor of values I believe in would have been more than enough for a subforum about playing video games for the internet. That would have been sufficient, is what I'm saying. I came out of it with a new respect for LPs and their ability to convey important information in a novel way, and I gained a new respect for Something Awful. No thread has ever, ever raised my opinion of the site or the people on it more than this one.

Going forward, please remember that you and the participants in this thread have raised the bar, and that irrespective of our ability to communicate it, we appreciate the esteem you've given to the community. Thank you very much for making the most terrifying games in the history of the internet palatable.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
D Vac, I want to thank you for all your amazing hard work throughout this LP, which not only managed to be incredibly entertaining and a whole lot of fun, but also hugely informative about the subversive and terrible nature of these games which I had no idea even existed.

I didn't think you could outdo your previous episodes and I was so, so incredibly wrong. What an amazing finish, I was down after the first one and then laughed myself stupid at the second. Bravo.

You are the LPer I want to be when I grow up.

Thanks for everything.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, now I'm sad that you never did the "MAKE THE PREGNANT LADY SEXY" game, but that... that sure was a thing.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

This was wonderful. Excellent work.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Everything about this LP was great and the finale was even better! I'd like to think everyone learned a little something on this bizarre journey through Girl Games.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
This was a wonderful and thought-provoking LP. Bravo for powering through all the awfulness that is the majority of girl games and managing to make it entertaining.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

You made art.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
Chiming in to say that the whole thread was just brilliant, and thank you to everyone that participated. I laughed, I cringed, I never wanted to look so deeply inside of a nostril but then I did anyway.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

sunsweet posted:

I never wanted to look so deeply inside of a nostril but then I did anyway.
Girl Games: The Line
"And when they break, we will be like sisters. Having stared down nostrils... and flinched..."

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Well, I guess that's that. It's been fun seeing these horrid flash creations mocked, and it's been interesting being exposed to a smattering of feminist topics. Thanks a lot, Devious Vacuum.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
This has been amazing. That tear of blue paint on the blow-up doll... there are no words...

Thank you, DVac and everyone else, for an entertaining, depressing, educational, and overall incredible LP.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
I was just about to watch the last three videos, but before that, I wanted to mention that this thread inspired me to make my own "girl game" ... in Twine. It's super-long (with the exception of one particular route) and probably only tangentially-related to the themes of the thread, but I finally finished it, and decided that I would link it here: ♥ Magical Makeover ♥

If you're in the mood for reading thousands of words of pink-text nonsense, then holy poo poo is this the Twine game for you!

Thanks for a great thread, by the way, D Vac. I used to like those Candybar Doll Makers when I was kid, so I can understand the appeal of dress-up games (even though a lot of the Flash ones offer an absurdly minimal array of options), but the nose-cleaning, dentistry, and surgery games are incomprehensible to me. I guess children are supposed to like things that are gross? And also body horror? One could try to argue that they're educational, but they're so divorced from actual medical procedures that the argument really doesn't hold water.

The eye-game was the worst for me :gonk:

BlueFlowerRedSky fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 19, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

I was just about to watch the last three videos, but before that, I wanted to mention that this thread inspired me to make my own "girl game" ... in Twine. It's super-long (with the exception of one particular route) and probably only tangentially-related to the themes of the thread, but I finally finished it, and decided that I would link it here: ♥ Magical Makeover ♥

This is fun! I turned into a butterfly, went to Fruit Prom, but then I got locked in a room with a sassy bird :(.

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks! That last video was something else :eek:

The reverse makeover (now that I've seen it) and the liposuction game were both gross, and definitely more offensive than any of the surgery ones, but for some reason I still had the most visceral reaction to that eye game. Ugh. Who was that made for?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

If you're in the mood for reading thousands of words of pink-text nonsense, then holy poo poo is this the Twine game for you!

Thanks for a great thread, by the way, D Vac. I used to like those Candybar Doll Makers when I was kid, so I can understand the appeal of dress-up games (even though a lot of the Flash ones offer an absurdly minimal array of options), but the nose-cleaning, dentistry, and surgery games are incomprehensible to me. I guess children are supposed to like things that are gross? And also body horror? One could try to argue that they're educational, but they're so divorced from actual medical procedures that the argument really doesn't hold water.

The eye-game was the worst for me :gonk:
That was fun.

I briefly became a plant person and freed a dragon.

Edit: I tried it again, got to the place with the golden cassowary and the fairy lock, but it won't progress.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 19, 2014

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

That was fun.

I briefly became a plant person and freed a dragon.

Edit: I tried it again, got to the place with the golden cassowary and the fairy lock, but it won't progress.

Oh no, what broke? :(

It worked before I uploaded it, but I'll check it out.

Edit: The passage was linking to itself.(I guess I messed something up when I was re-formatting things?) I fixed it and re-uploaded the .html file here. You can get past the lock and get to Ending #3 now, but I'll want to check again to make sure that all of the other endings work.

Edit2: Looks like all seven endings are accessible now! I noticed another typo that I made, but whatever. I changed the link in my earlier post to go to the fixed version, too.

BlueFlowerRedSky fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 19, 2014

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Oh my god I made a fool of myself in front of a magical mirror and then restored the dove princess in time for bed and hung out with my best witch buddy. :3: This game is fantastic.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Woo! That was actually really cool! I became a plant lady!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

That was loving awesome.
I covered myself with crystals and got stabbed by the princess. Yay makeovers!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

All the words!

I became a plant person and helped the dragon queen regain her throne.
And probably became a bit better of a person.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I saved a bird. Neat! I liked how the only choices you have are how you dress up.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Oh no, what broke? :(

It worked before I uploaded it, but I'll check it out.

Edit: The passage was linking to itself.(I guess I messed something up when I was re-formatting things?) I fixed it and re-uploaded the .html file here. You can get past the lock and get to Ending #3 now, but I'll want to check again to make sure that all of the other endings work.

Edit2: Looks like all seven endings are accessible now! I noticed another typo that I made, but whatever. I changed the link in my earlier post to go to the fixed version, too.

I really really thought this was some clever coding trick we had to figure out by typing in some hidden form, or go to a secret URL, or look through the source to find.

:arghfist::)

I was slightly miffed but I really like the story, and finished it now.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I played it for a long time and now all of this text looks green. So, you know, there's another nice feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just got caught up on this thread. I don't know why, but my immediate thought at the end was: "Now we are all sons of bitches."

Thank you very much for this thread. The encapsulation of the normalized absurdity meant for young, growing minds was very enlightening.

• Locked thread