Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I was totally like you DV, although I embraced femininity earlier (high school) and less thoroughly. I still hate dresses and never wear makeup, but my hair is a source of constant vanity and I collect scarves like limited-edition beanie babies.

One thing I don't think a lot of women experience is actually talking about why they feel the need to pretty themselves up. I once had a sociology of gender class where we talked to the person next to us about how they get ready for the day and why, and the girl I was talking to rattled off a list of things she did in the morning but could not for the life of her explain why she did them other than they made her feel pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I went around some girl game sites looking for any horrific examples I could play, and I learned that a series of surgery games by A10.com are surprisingly popular on them. Almost all of them straightforward surgery simulators like correcting scoliosis and implanting a cochlear implant; one of them involves simple rhinoplasty, but only as an addendum to functional nasal surgery.

You'd think more people would cash in on the market if girls love them that much.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Dreadwroth posted:

Hey it's totally awesome to like whatever, tomboys are awesome! Some of my best friends are tomboys! Gender identity is a fascinating topic because while sexuality is fairly binary, the gender of a specific human is more liquid. But I might be wrong, so I hope I don't insult anyone.

Do you mean binary as in you're attracted to one gender or the other, or binary as in you're attracted to one gender and/or the other? For the former you'd definitely be wrong, but even as a bi woman I tend to categorize people with fluid genders into "more man" or "more woman" categories.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Peach Style posted:

I don't know if I want to games to teach girls to wear lamp shades over their heads. :ohdear:

I had some fun with those games identifying what clothes are actually Chinese and which they just threw in there because "it's Asian so it must be Chinese, right?" Also, the shoes she's wearing are actually meant for bound feet, as are a lot of the shoes I've seen in these games.

I did find a surprisingly accurate game where you dress up a Qing empress, though. Look at this Manchu style!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I just looked up Sweet Fuse and the protagonist is Keiji Inafune's (imaginary) niece. :whoptc: I'm perplexed and intrigued.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

That's why I say RPGs are the real dressup games.

I'd agree except in 99% of RPGs, you won't be able to wear what you want because it'll be weaker than something else. There should really be a system where you can wear the textures from whatever armor you've ever acquired instead of the actual armor you have.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

While looking around dressupgames.com I found the artsiest of all dress-up games: http://www.dressupgames.com/fashion/erte-elegance-5234.html

My creation:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I played way too long with the manga creator and came up with....

The Trials of Mary, Campus Crusader for Christ

It's a lovely morning, but Mary spots a sinner in need of saving! (Read right to left, like those Japanese comics the kids like!)

Mary is so focused on saving these boys that she doesn't even notice those other sinners! You can do it, Mary!

Remember, ever-changing hair is but one of God's gifts!

Sometimes sinners can give you the slip! Mary knows you need to hold on to at least one of them!

But sometimes sinners are really wily, homosexuals especially. Mary will find them later, though.

A typical conversation between sinners takes place. They're not even eating a proper Christian meal!

Mary senses the sinner Mark nearby! She needs to go read her catechism, but she makes sure to remind him of Christ's love.

The next day Mark finds Jesus! Hurray!

Or not! Remember that some sinners are stubborn. Mary can do it, and you can, too!

Gyre fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Compendium posted:

I feel like this is the kind of manga a Christian anime fan who hated yaoi would come up with. Hell, there's a whole subset of awful fanart that tries to be religious, as if they're trying to reconcile their beliefs with their love for whatever show/comic/cartoon they're into.

I was thinking Serenity, if you've ever heard of it. The idea actually came from noticing that on the page 2 it's pretty obtuse on how to change generic girl A's outfit from schoolgirl to something else. That page is also why her hair keeps changing, because you can't approximate that haircut in the other pages.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 17, 2014

• Locked thread