Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«73 »
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It is a classic symbol of racism in America. This is where the white man has taken the black man and put him between two buns. And then dumped ketchup on him.

Alright folks, it's that time of year again. It's the Sunday night where those of us who don't give two shits about the Super Bowl can get together in somebody's apartment, get shitfaced, and yell at the TV. Yes, I'm talking about the Oscars.

So, what's the run down this year?

The show will be held March 2nd, 2014. Ellen DeGeneres is hosting.

But the nominees - WHO ARE THE NOMINEES?

Best Picture
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Director
Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
Steve McQueen - 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne - Nebraska
David O. Russell - American Hustle
Martin Scorsese - The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Christian Bale - American Hustle
Bruce Dern - Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor - 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Amy Adams - American Hustle
Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock - Gravity
Judi Dench - Philomena
Meryl Streep - August: Osage County

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Barkhad Abdi - Captain Phillips
Bradley Cooper - American Hustle
Michael Fassbender - 12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill - The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto - Dallas Buyers Club

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Sally Hawkins - Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence - American Hustle
Lupita Nyong'o - 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts - August: Osage County
June Squibb - Nebraska

Best Writing - Original Screenplay
American Hustle
Blue Jasmine
Dallas Buyers Club
Her
Nebraska

Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay
12 Years a Slave
Before Midnight
Captain Phillips
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street

Best Animated Feature
The Croods
Despicable Me 2
Ernest & Celestine
Frozen
The Wind Rises

Best Foreign Language Film
The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium)
The Missing Picture (Cambodia)
The Hunt (Denmark)
The Great Beauty (Italy)
Omar (Palestine)

Best Documentary - Feature
The Act of Killing
Cutie and the Boxer
Dirty Wars
The Square
20 Feet from Stardom

Best Documentary - Short
CaveDigger
Facing Fear
Karama Has No Walls
The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life
Prison Terminal: The Last Days of Private Jack Hall

Best Live Action Short
Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)
Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)
Helium
Pitδδkφ Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)
The Voorman Problem

Best Animated Short
Feral
Get a Horse!
Mr. Hublot
Possessions
Room on the Broom

Best Original Score
John Williams - The Book Thief
Steven Price - Gravity
William Butler & Owen Pallett - Her
Alexandre Desplat - Philomena
Thomas Newman - Saving Mr. Banks

Best Original Song
"Alone, Yet Not Alone" from Alone Yet Not Alone – Bruce Broughton and Dennis Spiegel
"Happy" from Despicable Me 2 – Pharrell Williams
"Let It Go" from Frozen – Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
"The Moon Song" from Her – Karen Orzolek and Spike Jonze
"Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom – U2

Best Sound Editing
All is Lost
Captain Phillips
Gravity
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Lone Survivor

Best Sound Mixing
Captain Phillips
Gravity
Inside Llewyn Davis
Lone Survivor

Best Production Design
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Gravity
The Great Gatsby
Her

Best Cinematography
The Grandmaster – Philippe Le Sourd
Gravity – Emmanuel Lubezki
Inside Llewyn Davis – Bruno Delbonnel
Nebraska – Phedon Papamichael
Prisoners – Roger Deakins

Best Makeup & Hairstyling
Dallas Buyers Club
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa
The Lone Ranger

Best Costume Design
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
The Grandmaster
The Great Gatsby
The Invisible Woman

Best Film Editing
12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity

Best Visual Effects
Gravity
Iron Man 3
The Lone Ranger
Star Trek Into Darkness

Well, that's all there is! Seems like a really good list this year. How do y'all feel about Oscar Nominated Film Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa? Two-time Oscar Nominated Film The Lone Ranger? And please, no comments about Jonah Hill unless you've actually seen The Wolf of Wall Street. Well, let's have at it - What got snubbed? What's overrated? How is the Academy going to gently caress this all up?

REMINDER: The music from Inside Llewyn Davis was not eligible for a nomination due to it being based on existing songs. Likewise, Blue is the Warmest Color was not eligible for Best Foreign Film due to a release date technicality. France did not submit it as their choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

You have my permission to
STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

I'm glad Bad Grandpa got recognized. It wasn't one of my favorites of the year, but I did enjoy it quite a bit when I saw it in theaters, and it's hilarious and pretty cool that it got an Oscar nod. Jonah Hill absolutely deserves the nomination for Wolf of Wall Street because it was a great movie and he was great in it.

Did Mud really not get a single nomination? I think it made the festival circuit in 2012 but it wasn't released theatrically until 2013. Tye Sheridan absolutely deserved a nod for his performance as Ellis.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ella ella

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did Mud really not get a single nomination? I think it made the festival circuit in 2012 but it wasn't released theatrically until 2013. Tye Sheridan absolutely deserved a nod for his performance as Ellis.

Cinema Discusso > The 86th Academy Awards: Deserve's Got Nothin' To Do With It.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Valyrian, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

Best Actor category was stacked as hell this year, but I think Bruce Dern or Christian Bale could have been easily replaced by Joaquin Phoenix (Her) or Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips). American Hustle doesn't really deserve the praise its getting, but the academy's gotta choke down that David O. Russell/Jennifer Lawrence dick at all costs. Jonah Hill was great in Wolf of Wall Street, but I didn't find the actual character all that interesting. Also what the hell, no Blackfish documentary nod?

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Cinema Discusso > The 86th Academy Awards: Deserve's Got Nothin' To Do With It.
I mean yeah, I think this and other award shows are irrelevant anyway, but still, that seems like a pretty strong performance to just overlook completely. And the Oscars give lots of public exposure to movies that may otherwise not have gotten them. Most people I know didn't see Mud, so it sucks that the Oscars won't bolster its popularity. Oh well.

Also this:

teagone posted:

Best Actor category was stacked as hell this year, but I think Bruce Dern or Christian Bale could have been easily replaced by Joaquin Phoenix (Her) or Tom Hanks (Captain Phillips). American Hustle doesn't really deserve the praise its getting, but the academy's gotta choke down that David O. Russell/Jennifer Lawrence dick at all costs.
Christian Bale was good but he wasn't one of the best of the year, whereas Joaquin actually was. But yeah, I understand that the Academy has to jump all over a David O. Russell production.

Rageaholic Monkey fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2014 around 19:45

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003

I
ANALYZE
CARTOONS

You know, snubs don't seem to be as horrible this year as in other years. It would've been nice to see Joaquin Phoenix, Spike Jonze and Pacific Rim in their respective categories, sure, but otherwise seems reasonable.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Steve Yun posted:

You know, snubs don't seem to be as horrible this year as in other years. It would've been nice to see Joaquin Phoenix, Spike Jonze and Pacific Rim in their respective categories, sure, but otherwise seems reasonable.
I didn't really care for Pacific Rim, myself, but it's more deserving of an award than Star Trek: Into Darkness or Hobbit Street: Smaug Never Sleeps. And I haven't seen The Lone Ranger, but from everything I've heard, it's painfully mediocre aside from a couple scenes and is even offensive at times, so I don't even know why that one was nominated.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ella ella

And I haven't seen The Lone Ranger, but from everything I've heard, it's painfully mediocre aside from a couple scenes and is even offensive at times, so I don't even know why that one was nominated.

Presumably because it had good makeup and special effects. It didn't get nominated for best picture, people.

"I heard second-hand that this movie may or may not have been bad and/or offensive! God, how dare they nominate it for Best Visual Effects!"

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at Jan 17, 2014 around 20:06

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Presumably because it had good makeup and special effects. It didn't get nominated for best picture, people.
Well yeah, but I hadn't heard from anyone that it was a particularly good looking movie. I mean, it very well may have some great special effects. With a budget of $250 million, it sure as hell better. But the first I heard of it was when it got nominated for an Oscar.

Again, I didn't see it so I'm not qualified to say

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Well yeah, but I hadn't heard from anyone that it was a particularly good looking movie. I mean, it very well may have some great special effects. With a budget of $250 million, it sure as hell better. But the first I heard of it was when it got nominated for an Oscar.

Again, I didn't see it so I'm not qualified to say

Yeah, the effects are really good (as is the makeup and wigs, which it was also nominated for) so it's not a surprise, but I only know that because I was paying attention during the movie even though it sucked.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I don't understand the arbitrary number of Best Picture nominees. Is it based on a percentage of votes?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

Obtuse Cunt.
Please Do Not Engage.
Will bore you and everyone else with inane questions.

Was Captain Phillips actually that good of a picture or is it just the Tom Hanks factor?

Cacator posted:

I don't understand the arbitrary number of Best Picture nominees. Is it based on a percentage of votes?

They increased it about 4 years ago because people felt that some films were getting snubbed (but really it's because "Academy Award Nominee for Best Picture" is a great thing to have on your box).

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

computer parts posted:

Was Captain Phillips actually that good of a picture or is it just the Tom Hanks factor?
I saw a free advanced screening of it a couple weeks before it was released in theaters. I thought it was pretty standard. Not terrible, but not really deserving of praise either. Barkhad Abdi deserves his nomination for best supporting actor but Tom Hanks was just whatever in it. It's one of those movies where if you saw the trailer, you saw the whole movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I only know that because I was paying attention during the movie even though it sucked.
Well good for you

I still have no desire to see that movie.

MorgaineDax
Nov 29, 2004

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

computer parts posted:

They increased it about 4 years ago because people felt that some films were getting snubbed (but really it's because "Academy Award Nominee for Best Picture" is a great thing to have on your box).

And it's something like a film needs 5% of the first place votes, which is why some years there might only be 9 nominees instead of 10.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I saw a free advanced screening of it a couple weeks before it was released in theaters. I thought it was pretty standard. Not terrible, but not really deserving of praise either. Barkhad Abdi deserves his nomination for best supporting actor but Tom Hanks was just whatever in it. It's one of those movies where if you saw the trailer, you saw the whole movie.
Well good for you

If they ever start quoting movie forums on movie posters, I sure do hope they use yours.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

Cacator posted:

You have to win 5 percent of the total vote, but the details of the process get pretty complicated. Basically, the way the voting math shakes out, it's numerically unlikely we'll ever get ten best picture nominees. Nine is most likely unless there's a really weak field.

quote:

It's one of those movies where if you saw the trailer, you saw the whole movie.

That's interesting, because most of the reviews I've gotten (from friends or critics) say that the trailer was misleading in making it look like a traditional, USA-glorifying thriller while the movie itself was more interesting and complicated than that. I hadn't had much interest in seeing it from the trailer, but the secondhand reviews were making me rethink that. Anybody else have thoughts on this one?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

aslan posted:

That's interesting, because most of the reviews I've gotten (from friends or critics) say that the trailer was misleading in making it look like a traditional, USA-glorifying thriller while the movie itself was more interesting and complicated than that. I hadn't had much interest in seeing it from the trailer, but the secondhand reviews were making me rethink that. Anybody else have thoughts on this one?
I haven't seen the trailer, and the movie isn't really a USA-glorifying thriller, but it's not really a complex film either. I could definitely see it being condensed appropriately into a trailer. Do you like tense thrillers that throw in some moral gray area, but still come out as expected and don't actually explore that moral grey area all that much? Then Captain Phillips is for you. I thought it was very good and worth watching if you want a well made film, but it's not particularly special.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Well it kind of does glorify the US in that a main theme of the movie is that Somalians are only pirates because they don't have the opportunities to be anything else like American citizens do, and you do feel sympathy for the pirates at times because they're just kids, and if they don't follow their orders, they'll be killed. They don't kill anyone themselves throughout the course of the movie, so it's not like they're committing high atrocities or anything. They're just carrying out orders with minimal collateral damage.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It is a classic symbol of racism in America. This is where the white man has taken the black man and put him between two buns. And then dumped ketchup on him.

I felt that Captain Phillips had more depth than it let on. There's a line at the beginning where Phillips (Hanks) tells his wife about how in the old days you just had to keep your head down and follow orders and eventually you were made a captain. The young sailors these days have it much harder, they have to fight and step over each other to move up the ranks.

That line pretty much paints the entire film - it's not the tale of Captain Phillips, it's the tale of TWO Captains - Phillips and Muse. Phillips' line at the beginning lays out the entire film. His entire strategy when dealing with the pirates is to keep his head down and do what he's told. This is partly out of fear, but it's also a strategy. He isn't aggressive like these young sailors, he's quiet and trying to divide them. Whenever he speaks, points out a flaw in their plan, begs for water - it's an attack. Last year when Battleship came out we were talking about how it uses the board game as a metaphor and how it forms the philosophy of the film. Well Captain Phillips features another nautical strategy game.

Muse and the pirates are young and try and take control violently. Their strategy is aggression. And their infighting is problematic. They're all trying to step over each other in order to be the captain, and Muse is constantly fighting not only Phillips, but his fellow pirates to maintain that status.

Likewise, Muse and the pirates view themselves as fishermen. They used to be fishermen, back in Somalia, but the environment was destroyed. Now, they still believe themselves to be fishermen. Only they "fish" for what replaced the fish, cargo ships. They hook them (attach a ladder), reel them in (board them), and sell them (rob and ransom them). But this idea of them being fishermen is also false, they're pirates. The coast guard tries to tell Phillips over the phone that he shouldn't worry, but he tells the coast guard "These aren't fishermen."

I liked that the film didn't try to get emotional and focus on the hardship in Somalia too much, for the same reason I feel that Wolf of Wall Street benefits from not showing the victims. We get just enough backstory to know the pain these people have gone through, but what matters is the present. What matters is that they're pirates and they've kidnapped a man. It's sympathetic to them while still condemning them. But it's hardly HOORAH AMERICA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone actually liked American Hustle? Not one person I've seen has failed to call it offensively overrated

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone actually liked American Hustle? Not one person I've seen has failed to call it offensively overrated
I liked it but I also think it's overrated. It could have been so much more, but it seemed to be content with just getting by and merely being decent. And yet it's still getting a truckload of praise, but I expected it to.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

TrixRabbi posted:

Well Captain Phillips features another nautical strategy game.
This is a very good post.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

I really hope Wolf of Wall Street wins best picture just to have people flock to the theaters expecting to see another slick movie about rich criminals, but instead be treated to Leo DiCaprio snorting coke out of a hooker's rear end in the opening scene.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

Come on Abed, let's spoon in the Gluon Chamber.

I can't believe I'm rooting for Jonah Hill to win the Oscar but his performance in The Wolf of Wall-Street was so goddamn good I can't imagine giving it to anyone else.

Y-Hat
Feb 10, 2007

I'll get you, I'll burn you, I'll crush you, I'll flush you down, down
The toilet where you'll spiral around, round
Awwww tick... tick tick tick

Jared Leto will win Best Supporting Actor because it would fit too perfectly with Dr. David Thorpe's theory that Jared Leto is the center of the universe in some teenage girl's fanfiction, and we're all just bit players.

The Jorts of Zeus
Feb 13, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I can't believe I'm rooting for Jonah Hill to win the Oscar but his performance in The Wolf of Wall-Street was so goddamn good I can't imagine giving it to anyone else.

It's just so bizarre to see him up there, acting his rear end off (in a good way). His performance made me want to watch Moneyball, just to see what else he's got.

It was really jarring to watch Wolf... a few days after having watched This is the End.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

It's just so bizarre to see him up there, acting his rear end off (in a good way). His performance made me want to watch Moneyball, just to see what else he's got.

It was really jarring to watch Wolf... a few days after having watched This is the End.

You should definitely watch Moneyball. It's very good.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

I'm pretty amazed at the lack of Inside Llewyn Davis love, it was extremely well regarded critically. I think it should have at least gotten noms for Oscar Isaac (over Bale) and Best Screenplay (over Hustle).

second-hand smegma
May 4, 2004

It hurts my maiden eyes to see chu people insult Xenogears.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think it should have at least gotten noms for Oscar Isaac (over Bale) and Best Screenplay (over Hustle).

This. Completely. Politics, man. Somebody done hosed up.

edit; It's that time of year! I always tell myself that I don't care about awards, and this time I mean it! Still....

second-hand smegma fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2014 around 04:51

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I can't believe Gravity got 10 nominations. It was by far my favorite film of the year, which usually means the academy ignores it. It deserves at least Sound and Cinematography, but I'd be happy if it walked away with anything.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Fish Of Doom posted:

I can't believe Gravity got 10 nominations. It was by far my favorite film of the year, which usually means the academy ignores it. It deserves at least Sound and Cinematography, but I'd be happy if it walked away with anything.

For me, Gravity suffers from Life of Pi Syndrome. Sure, it was a beautiful looking movie, but like 75% of it was CG. Gravity would be MORE deserving of a cinematography win than Life of Pi though, because at least Gravity had to pioneer new filming tricks and techniques to get it's CG looking good. Life of Pi was just average looking CG the whole time.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

I don't understand why people were getting uppity about Jonah Hill considering it's his second nomination.

Then again, I missed the whole apparent uproar and don't really know what it was based on (I'm assuming it was because he's Jonah Hill).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

PTizzle posted:

I don't understand why people were getting uppity about Jonah Hill considering it's his second nomination.

Then again, I missed the whole apparent uproar and don't really know what it was based on (I'm assuming it was because he's Jonah Hill).

Yeah pretty much. "What!? How dare the fat kid from Superbad get recognized for doing excellent work!"

second-hand smegma
May 4, 2004

It hurts my maiden eyes to see chu people insult Xenogears.

OldSenileGuy posted:

For me, Gravity suffers from Life of Pi Syndrome. Sure, it was a beautiful looking movie, but like 75% of it was CG. Gravity would be MORE deserving of a cinematography win than Life of Pi though, because at least Gravity had to pioneer new filming tricks and techniques to get it's CG looking good. Life of Pi was just average looking CG the whole time.

I agree. Cinematography as a term carries over a 100 years of baggage, history that has a lot to do with the interaction between various lenses, emulsions, and light-proof boxes... and it all has very little to do with CG manipulation.

Digital Cinematography and Videography are better terms for the majority of what is happening in Gravity and Life of Pi, but as it turns out the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an institution which probably should care a tiny bit about the artistic distinction between two very different techniques, couldn't give a gently caress. moo vee

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

To be fair, Jonah Hill only garnered his first nomination because people were so shocked to see him do anything more complicated than pretend to be high and tell some awkward jokes. It was a "Wow, we like to see you stepping out of your comfort zone" nomination (and also a "Wow, this category is really weak this year" nomination), not an actual "amazing acting work" nomination. I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street, but I assume he's stepped up his game since Moneyball.

I wasn't surprised to see Oscar Isaac not nominated since that category was stacked this year, but it would have been nice for him to be on that list. He did an amazing job. You could make a case for Michael B. Jordan and Joaquin Phoenix and of course Tom Hanks and Robert Redford, but it seems like Bale is the only real weak spot in that category, so even if you took him out, you'd still be missing a lot of good performances. I don't feel too bad for Oscar because it seems like his career is on the verge of taking off, and he'll have plenty more chances in the future. And the older three have already had their turns--but given how Hollywood treats its young black actors, it seems totally possible that Jordan won't get another chance. (I hope I'm wrong and he gets lots more amazing roles! But . . . you know.)

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

American Hustle can have all the acting awards and costuming awards it deserves but it being considered for best picture and best screenplay kinda sets this weird sad precedent. Like, if we're gonna have a snobby academy, let's have a full blown snobby academy, no half measures. Go full snob and snob-punish the gently caress out of that film for its mess of a plot.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

Come on Abed, let's spoon in the Gluon Chamber.

aslan posted:

I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street, but I assume he's stepped up his game since Moneyball.

Yeah. Moneyball still had Jonah Hill playing Jonah Hill. The character of Donnie and how Hill plays it in Wolf is so unlike anything he's done before. It is an amazing transformation and I'd liken to Daniel Day-Lewis's performance of Bill The Butcher in The Gangs of New York--funny, charismatic and larger than life without ever going over the top and becoming a mere caricature.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Valyrian, motherfucker! Do you speak it?!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah. Moneyball still had Jonah Hill playing Jonah Hill. The character of Donnie and how Hill plays it in Wolf is so unlike anything he's done before. It is an amazing transformation and I'd liken to Daniel Day-Lewis's performance of Bill The Butcher in The Gangs of New York--funny, charismatic and larger than life without ever going over the top and becoming a mere caricature.

Let's pump the brakes here a bit. Jonah Hill was good in Wolf of Wall Street, but it's straight up ridiculous to compare his level of talent to Daniel Day-Lewis. That's just dumb as hell.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

he said, fully erect.

teagone posted:

Let's pump the brakes here a bit. Jonah Hill was good in Wolf of Wall Street, but it's straight up ridiculous to compare his level of talent to Daniel Day-Lewis. That's just dumb as hell.

He didn't compare their levels of talent, he compared their performances in those specific Scorsese films. I don't think the comparison's unfair actually. While Day-Lewis steals the movie in Gangs it also helps him that Leo puts in a weaker performance in an underwritten role. I'd say it's a mark in Hill's favour that Donnie is an obviously way less flashy role than Bill the Butcher, and Leo's firing on all cylinders in Wolf, and Hill still knocks it out of the park in a super-memorable way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I still haven't seen Moneyball, but Wolf of Wall Street is definitely right in Hill's comfort zone. Once he got past the "Oh my god, I'm actually in a Martin fuckin' Scorsese movie" jitters, it's a role obviously perfect for him. It's a weird, goofy character in an over-the-top, crude comedy. It's what he's made his career on.

I'd say the character of Donnie IS a caricature, but that's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. It's an extraordinarily well-played caricature who fits in naturally with everything else in the film.

I definitely feel the nomination is not only deserved, but also surprising for how transgressive the role is. Unfortunately, with Leto and Fassbender as his competition, he doesn't stand a chance.

«73 »