Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Attention Whore
Dec 8, 2013

Edward Snowden has made some dangerous enemies. As the American intelligence community struggles to contain the public damage done by the former National Security Agency contractor’s revelations of mass domestic spying, intelligence operators have continued to seethe in very personal terms against the 30-year-old whistle-blower.

“In a world where I would not be restricted from killing an American, I personally would go and kill him myself,” a current NSA analyst told BuzzFeed. “A lot of people share this sentiment.”

“I would love to put a bullet in his head,” one Pentagon official, a former special forces officer, said bluntly. “I do not take pleasure in taking another human beings life, having to do it in uniform, but he is single-handedly the greatest traitor in American history.”

That violent hostility lies just beneath the surface of the domestic debate over NSA spying is still ongoing. Some members of Congress have hailed Snowden as a whistle-blower, the New York Times has called for clemency, and pundits regularly defend his actions on Sunday talk shows. In intelligence community circles, Snowden is considered a nothing short of a traitor in wartime.

“His name is cursed every day over here,” a defense contractor told BuzzFeed, speaking from an overseas intelligence collections base. “Most everyone I talk to says he needs to be tried and hung, forget the trial and just hang him.”

One Army intelligence officer even offered BuzzFeed a chillingly detailed fantasy.

“I think if we had the chance, we would end it very quickly,” he said. “Just casually walking on the streets of Moscow, coming back from buying his groceries. Going back to his flat and he is casually poked by a passerby. He thinks nothing of it at the time starts to feel a little woozy and thinks it’s a parasite from the local water. He goes home very innocently and next thing you know he dies in the shower.”

There is no indication that the United States has sought to take vengeance on Snowden, who is living in an undisclosed location in Russia without visible security measures, according to a recent Washington Post interview. And the intelligence operators who spoke to BuzzFeed on the condition of anonymity did not say they expected anyone to act on their desire for revenge. But their mood is widespread, people who regularly work with the intelligence community said.

“These guys are emoting how pissed they are,” Peter Singer, a cyber-security expert at the Brookings Institute. “Do you think people at the NSA would put a statue of him out front?”

The degree to which Snowden’s revelations have damaged intelligence operations are also being debated. Shawn Turner, a spokesman for the director of national intelligence, recently called the leaks “unnecessarily and extremely damaging to the United States and the intelligence community’s national security efforts,” and the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, Dutch Ruppersberger said terrorists have been “changing their methods because of the leaks.” Snowden’s defenders dismiss those concerns as overblown, and the government has not pointed to specific incidents to bear out the claims.

On the ground, intelligence workers certainly say the damage has been done. The NSA officer complained that his sources had become “useless.” The Army intelligence officer said the revelations had increased his “blindness.”

“I do my work in a combat zone so now I have to see the effects of a Snowden in a combat zone. It will not be pretty,” he said.

And while government officials have a long record of overstating the damage from leaks, some specific consequences seem logical.

“By [Snowden] showing who our collections partners were, the terrorists have dropped those carriers and email addresses,” the DOD official said. “We can’t find them because he released that data. Their electronic signature is gone.”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnso...rd-snowden-dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

this thread...it was made for me

according to my local paper the university i live right next to considers snowden a ~true hero~

Evil Sagan
Jan 22, 2011

Prepare to be reduced to star stuff.

quote:

“By [Snowden] showing who our collections partners were, the terrorists have dropped those carriers and email addresses,” the DOD official said. “We can’t find them because he released that data. Their electronic signature is gone.”

So which e-mail provider do I need to use to become basically totally invisible to the NSA?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

G's up
Hoes down

Evil Sagan posted:

So which e-mail provider do I need to use to become basically totally invisible to the NSA?

either let the NSA monitor or die in the shower up to u

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

My uncle who works at Nintendo also wants to murder aleick Snowskon.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

The name Edward has been ruined by teen vampire fiction. Maybe if he was called Ed / Eddie / Teddy Snowdon he'd get a bit more sympathy.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

What's gonna happen when tech support finally picks up?

RobattoJesus posted:

The name Edward has been ruined by teen vampire fiction. Maybe if he was called Ed / Eddie / Teddy Snowdon he'd get a bit more sympathy.

He'd still have that thing on his neck, so probably not.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

RobattoJesus posted:

edwin is a really good replacement if you ask me

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

Edward Snowden? More like Edward Dongden

- Barack Obama

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

TOUCHDOOOOWWWNNNN

those people are literally murderously angry that someone revealed that they've been spying on every last american citizen

I bet they also think american citizens shouldn't have guns

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

Edwin also was that mage who got turned into a hot boobed woman in Baulders Gate...

he also betrayed the group and had sexual identities crisis like manning... Makes you think...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

big duck equals goose posted:

Edwin also was that mage who got turned into a hot boobed woman in Baulders Gate...

he also betrayed the group and had sexual identities crisis like manning... Makes you think...

He was also the best magic casting class, aka sorcerer since it allowed you to cherry pick the best game breaking spells.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Brannock posted:

those people are literally murderously angry that someone revealed that they've been spying on every last american citizen

I bet they also think american citizens shouldn't have guns

I bet they all funded doobie's 2nd kickstarter

BossRighteous
Dec 28, 2002

Snowed In (2015)
A dapper American whistle blower (Edward Norton) finds love while stranded in the Moscow international airport.

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

Snowed In (2015)
A dapper American whistle blower (Edward Norton) finds love while stranded in the Moscow international airport.

id watch it on tv after it came out

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

TOUCHDOOOOWWWNNNN

Sid Vicious posted:

edwin is a really good replacement if you ask me

try edowaado

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Until the US government starts pulling people off the streets for crimes unrelated to killing civilians en masse, I just don't loving care about what the NSA does.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i hope he found a good rl gf:

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007

Brannock posted:

try edowaado

but thats already his name

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

Killer belt, bro

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Until the US government starts pulling people off the streets for crimes unrelated to killing civilians en masse, I just don't loving care about what the NSA does.

they dont need to do that when they can just have a SWAT team kick in somebodys door and murder everyone inside for a vaguely defined reason and then go "lol that was totally the wrong guy"

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

what the heck..the world seems to be run by fecken arseholes!!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN
Nov 8, 2006

Veni, vidi, Lombardi.

buzz... feed?

MONKET
Mar 17, 2009

BossRighteous posted:

Snowed In (2015)

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Those quotes are pretty shocking, really. I mean, not that they think that poo poo, but that'd be dumb enough to give those quotes to news-outlets, even anonymously, because it just plays right into the characterization of the intelligence agencies as paranoid nut-houses full of hyper-agressive assholes.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

buzz... feed?

MONKET
Mar 17, 2009

Costello Jello posted:

Those quotes are pretty shocking, really. I mean, not that they think that poo poo, but that'd be dumb enough to give those quotes to news-outlets, even anonymously, because it just plays right into the characterization of the intelligence agencies as paranoid nut-houses full of hyper-agressive assholes.

I honestly thought that it was like an onion article or something but nope our government is run by these people regardless of anonymity

Anccar
Jan 16, 2014

by Pipski

Attention Whore posted:

“I would love to put a bullet in his head,” one Pentagon official, a former special forces officer, said bluntly. “I do not take pleasure in taking another human beings life, having to do it in uniform, but he is single-handedly the greatest traitor in American history.”
Barack Obama is single-handedly the greatest traitor in American history.”

BossRighteous
Dec 28, 2002

I often wonder whether these high-clearance officials even believe their categorical stances or if they are just completely consumed in secrecy and deception.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Don't get your pen, son, you won't be needing that. My order's simple, a shitload of dim sims. And I want a bucket of soya sauce.

Costello Jello posted:

The people in power are childish petulant assholes who are no more intelligent or competent than the average dickhead on the street, this is true everywhere in the world

gggiiimmmppp
Feb 15, 2004

Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

It's gonna be great when another 50 years of dirt comes out and stuff starts getting declassified and we find out just how much petty personal/political poo poo they're doing right now domestically J Edgar Hoover style

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Maybe the reporter just made poo poo up. Probably less hassle than actually interviewing people. I just spoke to an anonymous government source who said he "wants to put a watermelon up snowdon's butt." What kind of monsters work for the us government?!

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

BossRighteous posted:

I often wonder whether these high-clearance officials even believe their categorical stances or if they are just completely consumed in secrecy and deception.

I know a bunch of people in NSA and they are all really obnoxiously liberal, lol.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011

OG anime feminist, bitch

gggiiimmmppp posted:

It's gonna be great when another 50 years of dirt comes out and stuff starts getting declassified and we find out just how much petty personal/political poo poo they're doing right now domestically J Edgar Hoover style

We already know that NSA analysts goofed off with WoW and used NSA resources to stalk ex-girlfriends.

gggiiimmmppp
Feb 15, 2004

Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels

Effectronica posted:

We already know that NSA analysts goofed off with WoW and used NSA resources to stalk ex-girlfriends.

To be fair the MMO spying was probably a direct result of Goonfleet

Neo Duckberg
Dec 29, 2012

buzzfeed

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

lol i thought it was weird a weeaboo ron paulite bested the NSA or climbed high enough to get high clearnce levels, i guess not.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Tell us we will die like dogs.

BossRighteous posted:

Years ago when rumblings about a similar program first started up the head of the NSA flat out said, "I don't care we have the power."

Seems more like they fancy themselves some sort of shadow government.

BossRighteous
Dec 28, 2002

Of all of the espionage we've been a part of in the US, Stuxnet is probably the most incredible and awesome, in the frightening sense of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosby Onahole
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Although Totally Spies may seem anime to the untrained eye, it actually isn't.

«2 »