Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

The SVF650 and vstrom... I am not a fan of the styling.

I've kind of narrowed it down to a Bonneville Triumph or a Honda CB1100.

Triumph seems to be a bit cheaper... Honda has a slightly larger engine. Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with both bikes?

I've scrounged a bit and it looks like Honda will be releasing a reworked version of the CB1100 EX sometime in 2014. Adding a sixth gear while turning the CB1100 standard edition into a more barebones cafe race style which likely won't appeal to me. I want an upright seating position.

I've heard the CB1100 drives rather milder than the Bonneville even though the enginer has a large displacement.

I want fast acceleration and be able to cruise comfortably at 75mph.

Thoughts? Comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bandit 1200

Buell Ulysses

KTM 690

KLR is out because it sucks.

Seriously though, have you considered things like the Z1000, Ninja 1000, etc? What styling do you like? What sort of riding do you do? "Upright seating position, fast, and can cruise at 75" describes everything from a scrambler to a megamoto to a goldwing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you like the looks of the Bonneville, you can also look at the Kawasaki W800.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
You need a BMW K75. Best.motorcycle.EVUH!

No seriously, they're loving nice. you should buy mine. I mean buy "one."

edit:Standard riding position your thing? They are standards in ways only over-educated anal-retentive German engineers can get, if the motorcycle detects you slouching the fuel pump will fail as punishment.
Smooth sewing machine-esque motor, so smooth in fact you often doubt it is actually running.
Exhaust that both "baahhhmmms!" and "burbles".

They handle really loving weird to make your life exciting.
They constantly pull to the left to make your life even more exciting, or due to like.. loving physics and their silly engine that fires its pistons parallel to the ground.

But you want quirky Italian like properties too? K75 does that! Front forks are a 41mm? gently caress you, they are a 40 mm or maybe a 41 mm? How about neither? No, I'm loving serious, the motherfucking motorcycle loves to go motherfucking left. Why? I think it's what passes for humor in Germany. Did I mention the engine is loving unbelievably smooth?

I'm pretty sure Poland was left from Germany and it's like ... some sort of cultural thing.
The bike will break down a lot, it will probably be the fuel pump, introducing further doubt in your mind for whether or not the motor is running.

gently caress KLR650s.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 18, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Wendigee posted:

Triumph seems to be a bit cheaper... Honda has a slightly larger engine. Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with both bikes?

I've scrounged a bit and it looks like Honda will be releasing a reworked version of the CB1100 EX sometime in 2014. Adding a sixth gear while turning the CB1100 standard edition into a more barebones cafe race style which likely won't appeal to me. I want an upright seating position.

I've heard the CB1100 drives rather milder than the Bonneville even though the enginer has a large displacement.

Thoughts? Comments?

The Bonneville is not fast, it's heavy and sluggish IMO, I haven't ridden the Honda but my guess is that it would be significantly faster. The dyno charts I found after a quick google seem to say the same.

I guess you're into the retro styling so maybe the CB1100 is a good choice but I'd give some newer standards a good look, Street Triple is a great bike, but if you want old time looks I guess those two and the Guzzu V7 are your choices and out of that bunch the CB1100 is the way to go.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Like someone said before, have you considered looking at a bandit 1200? Not a fan of the 1250s though. Very comfortable and extremely powerful powerplant. Not the smoothest delivery though. Could have been my jetting though. Not to mention you can put some sweet bags/cases with minimal rigging.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Wendigee posted:

Thoughts? Comments?

Just buy the bonnie. The bugs are worked out, the price is right, it's a fun bike. If the CBs were priced the same as the bonneville, it would be an interesting fight, but with Honda dealers wanting 11+k for it, I don't see how those things even factor in.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Have you've ridden before? Then pick whatever. Haven't you? Then pick whatever keeping in mind you'll break it somehow.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wendigee posted:

In my opinion no naked bike is comfortable at 75mph. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

In my opinion no naked bike is comfortable at 75mph. Thought I'd throw that out there.

My naked bandit 600 begs to differ!

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

My FZ1 is comfortable at 90, but I have a front fairing. Not the Euro style.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It's not the bike, it's you. If you've gotten used to 75+mph wind on your upper body, good for you, but that's like getting comfortable with underwear 2 sizes too small. It's not really comfortable, you're just putting up with it. If you wanna cruise at high speed, get a windshield.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

It's not the bike, it's you. If you've gotten used to 75+mph wind on your upper body, good for you, but that's like getting comfortable with underwear 2 sizes too small. It's not really comfortable, you're just putting up with it. If you wanna cruise at high speed, get a windshield.

Cruising around on naked bikes over the last 6 years has given me a 17.5 inch neck. I swear it's not all the donuts.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I can't stand windshields simply because clean air across your entire body is far more comfortable than a windstream that hits you in the head alone. See every multistrada 1200 rider bitching about the loving useless windscreen.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, that's also the problem with running a double bubble on a street bike. Normally the wind hits you at chest level, with a DB its right under your helmet when riding normally so it's noisy as poo poo. It's nice when you're laying on a tank bag over long stretches though.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Well if you want a bike that's comfortable and reasonably fast there's tons of naked bikes to choose from that focus on comfort and general usability over sportiness, like the aforementioned Bandit, Hornet 919, I feel my Buell XB12SS fits into this class of bike too.

Retro bike wise you could also look at the Kawasaki ZRX, Suzuki GSX1400 and whatever the Honda/Yamaha version of that formula are. Those will all be much faster than the Honda or Triumph. Maybe a Harley XR1200 or a plainer standard Sportster (or Yamaha Bolt)?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm so svelte I never had any discomfort w/r/t any fairing permutation. The only thing I had to get used to was to lean in to the wind on a proper naked at 140+ kph because there's a lot if it at that point.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Seriously though, have you considered things like the Z1000, Ninja 1000, etc? What styling do you like? What sort of riding do you do? "Upright seating position, fast, and can cruise at 75" describes everything from a scrambler to a megamoto to a goldwing.

I'm kinda partial to the styling of the CB1100 and the Bonneville. Sort of the old school standard motorcycle.

My riding will be 90% commute. I live about 7 minutes from work so it will be short and on smallish roads. I want to be able to take it on the highway when visiting friends and family which is why I want to be able to cruise at high speeds occasionaly. My previous bike, a v-star 650, sounded like it was going to commit suicide any minute if I ran it over 55.

I do actually like cruiser styling as well, but it seems that they are always rather slow unless you get a giant one at which point I feel uncomfortable dealing with how heavy they are.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

High Protein posted:

Well if you want a bike that's comfortable and reasonably fast there's tons of naked bikes to choose from that focus on comfort and general usability over sportiness, like the aforementioned Bandit, Hornet 919, I feel my Buell XB12SS fits into this class of bike too.

Retro bike wise you could also look at the Kawasaki ZRX, Suzuki GSX1400 and whatever the Honda/Yamaha version of that formula are. Those will all be much faster than the Honda or Triumph. Maybe a Harley XR1200 or a plainer standard Sportster (or Yamaha Bolt)?

The bolt was on my short list... I watched a video review of the bonneville vs the bolt vs the iron 883 and from the what they said in my opinion the bonneville sounded to be more fitting.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/16203/Motorcycle-Article/13-Sportster-883-Iron-vs-Star-Bolt-vs-Bonneville.aspx

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My vote is for the CB1100. I've always wanted a 69-72 (or something like that) CB750 and the CB1100 is like one of those with better looks, FI, and parts that aren't 40 years old. I'll get one used in a few years for cheap.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
How are the CB1100's selling right now. Will they be the kind of bike that has a decent used market in a few years? I've been seriously looking at them too, but I'm a bit iffy on the $11,000 price point.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah I was researching it a bit... sales are apparently not fantastic.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've never seen one outside a dealership and I see ads with dealers marking them down quite a bit so I assume they're selling poorly, which is too bad. I think the price is probably too high. If you got it closer to an HD Sportster you might take some of that market?

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Sounds like you want something more traditionally styled but I rode a CB919 and loved it. It was just a good natured easy to ride bike. Although for some reason the components on the 599 are nicer? But the 599 isn't fuel injected? Why can't I have the best off of both?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think they cell the 919 anymore... at least I don't see it on their website.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
They dont but buying new is silly.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

astrollinthepork posted:

They dont but buying new is silly.

Not when you look at what people want for a used Bonneville, and the non-existent secondary market for the slow selling CB1100s.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Have you considered a Honda 919?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Wendigee posted:

I don't think they cell the 919 anymore... at least I don't see it on their website.

Yea, the 919 hasn't been in the US since ~'06 or so.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is the Speed Triple standard enough? You're not going to find many bikes more fun that could fall into the category.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Honda 919s or 599s fit the bill if you are okay with used. 599s are carbed and were only in North America for '04 and '06. You can find 599s for $2000 to $5000 all day long on craigslist. I've had my '04 since '06 and still love it. 919s were sold in North America for a few more years and are all EFI I believe.

There's the Yamaha FZ-09 for a new standard, too.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

hayden. posted:

Is the Speed Triple standard enough? You're not going to find many bikes more fun that could fall into the category.

Next to the 990 SuperDuke, the Speed Triple is my favorite bike. Hell, I'd even buy a Street Triple if I wasn't 6'5" and 250+ pounds. I would definitely look at that Triumph, but that is just my opinion.

Also, isn't the FZ-8 just a ripoff of the Triples? Seems to be that way but I havn't really looked at them much. All my friends that went to the dealer show raved about them, I'm unconvinced.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Incursus posted:

Next to the 990 SuperDuke, the Speed Triple is my favorite bike. Hell, I'd even buy a Street Triple if I wasn't 6'5" and 250+ pounds. I would definitely look at that Triumph, but that is just my opinion.

Also, isn't the FZ-8 just a ripoff of the Triples? Seems to be that way but I havn't really looked at them much. All my friends that went to the dealer show raved about them, I'm unconvinced.

From what I've read on the Yamaha the engine is very very good. The suspension and brakes are "meh."

Thing costs like 2 grand less than a Striple. So ... it had that going for it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You pick up like 30-40whp / 20ftlb over a street triple and then that $2k difference buys a Penske rear shock and whatever someone releases for the forks (I don't think there is anything yet). I do know a ZX10R rear shock bolts into them so there is the super budget option - though a single adjustable Penske is like $650-700.

I loved my 675 but I'd love to get my hands on an FZ09. It's everything I wish the SV650 was.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 19, 2014

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

edit: im dumb disregard

have a cool image

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think you'd be surprised to find the FZ09 makes the same power as the Speed Triple :v:

edit: Oh

Nice Sweet Meat
Apr 10, 2007
To the guy that posted all the HP/Torque stuff: who cares? Motorcycles in this country have gone nuts. Every year the displacements get bigger, and for what? Track days? What if you don't care about that poo poo and don't want a drat car engine on your bike? Maybe it's because we're so fat and our dicks are being subsumed by our gunts so we feel the need to compensate with these monsters. The bonny is a gentlemans bike, if you get it, you will like it. Yeah the acceleration is linear, but that's a good thing. My last bike was a 07 Ninja 500, and the jerky torque got me in trouble more often than not. I was glad when it got totalled.

Look at this happy mother fucker.

it's me

An album of the bike I love: http://imgur.com/a/aLpLN

Nice Sweet Meat fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 20, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but if you don't have 200rwhp how will you ever be able to escape dangerous situations???

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

To the guy that posted all the HP/Torque stuff: who cares? Motorcycles in this country have gone nuts. Every year the displacements get bigger, and for what? Track days? What if you don't care about that poo poo and don't want a drat car engine on your bike? Maybe it's because we're so fat and our dicks are being subsumed by our gunts so we feel the need to compensate with these monsters. The bonny is a gentlemans bike, if you get it, you will like it. Yeah the acceleration is linear, but that's a good thing. My last bike was a 07 Ninja 500, and the jerky torque got me in trouble more often than not. I was glad when it got totalled.

Look at this happy mother fucker.

it's me

An album of the bike I love: http://imgur.com/a/aLpLN

The gently caress denotes a "gentleman's bike"? Being British?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They feel like old BMWs. Kinda heavy, very smooth, comfortable. That's gentlemanly.

• Locked thread