Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Z3n posted:

I'll throw a D4 so fast it'll make a small but visible divot in your skin!
Just leave it on the floor for him to step on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I wonder if a cunningly placed and sharpened D4 could puncture a motorcycle tire.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
... am I the only one who doesn't care about exhaust note? :( I am a bad motorcyclist.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

I wonder if a cunningly placed and sharpened D4 could puncture a motorcycle tire.

I almost fell trying to back into a spot that was covered with palm dates. I'm sure if you dumped out a bag of D4 in someones regular spot you could get them to slip, fall and then land on the pointy things.
Nerd revenge at its finest.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

KARMA! posted:

... am I the only one who doesn't care about exhaust note? :( I am a bad motorcyclist.

My post was more about the benefits of the V4, the fact it sounds so mean is just a side effect. A wonderful, raucous, side effect.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

ought ten posted:

No honest man needs more than one cylinder.

You didn't choose the thump life, the thump life chose you!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Incursus posted:

You didn't choose the thump life, the thump life chose you!

*motorcycle shakes itself to pieces*

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

No honest man needs more than one cylinder.

The higher the displacement on that cylinder, the better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygyk_eCMGzU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The higher the displacement on that cylinder, the better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygyk_eCMGzU

Wow they ran it all the way to its 300 rpm redline!!!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I posted another video of them actually racing it in the pictures thread. You can hear it wound all the way out, sounds like a lawnmower.

"Schnell?"
"Jah, schnell!"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Clearly a [configuration] is the best because it provides [thing] while [other configuration] only provides [other thing].

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

ought ten posted:

*motorcycle shakes itself to pieces*

More truth in this than I'd like to admit. My Husqvarna 610sm routinely sheds its nuts and bolts like a snake shedding its skin.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm going to resurrect this thread because it had a good discussion going on before turning into something weird.

I was looking at a Bolt, Sportster and Shadow RS, for comparison. The only triumph I've seen so far is the cruiser version of Bonneville, and I kinda liked it. Going to take a look at the rest of their lineup this weekend.

However, a local dealer is giving away
2013 cb1100 for $8500, that's his cost and he's not willing to go lower. That actually brings it on the same price level as the above mentioned bikes.

It seems to be way better bike than the rest, but all I have so far is online reviews and hearsay. If anyone has an opinion, please share it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, it certainly looks pretty, and about as faithful to the style of a UJM as you'll find nowadays. Plus, inflation adjusted, it's probably even cheaper than a mid-70s CB 750. Comparing to those other three that you mentioned, I'd definitely be swayed by the Honda's looks. Then again, I do love me some standards.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The first thing you should do is test ride all of them.

The Honda CB1100 will probably be less of a headache overall as far as maintenance, and I believe it'll have a smoother powerband compared to V-twins. Full disclosure: I love Honda CB's above all others. Everyone I know with Harleys has them in the shop for a third of the year being worked on for one thing or another. Someone posted in the picture thread a video about Bonneville's being uncomfortable and jerky unless you upgrade the seat, suspension and put a dummy plug in the O2 sensor.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Test ride them all, and then go get yourself a Harley Sportster XL (my two cents)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
But what if s/he needs an XXXL? Don't fat shame pls.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Don't forget that Moto Guzzi makes a sexy loving standard:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Supermoto: like a standard but more fun.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Nitrox posted:

I'm going to resurrect this thread because it had a good discussion going on before turning into something weird.

I was looking at a Bolt, Sportster and Shadow RS, for comparison. The only triumph I've seen so far is the cruiser version of Bonneville, and I kinda liked it. Going to take a look at the rest of their lineup this weekend.

However, a local dealer is giving away
2013 cb1100 for $8500, that's his cost and he's not willing to go lower. That actually brings it on the same price level as the above mentioned bikes.

It seems to be way better bike than the rest, but all I have so far is online reviews and hearsay. If anyone has an opinion, please share it.

If I only had to pick among those bikes at their market value, that CB looks great! The bolt looks nice, but it's reviews reveal its overall cheap feeling, the harley's pretty well known, and the shadow isn't even worht considering in that company in my opinion.

Go test ride the Honda!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Lightnings are cheap and awesome

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Remove the fisheye, correct the perspective, and that's a 2 inch stoppie.

Good metaphor for Buell ownership though. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Whatever it's the best photo of a XB9S I could find on GIS. A better metaphor is

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for all the suggestions. I had a chance to go look at some bikes this week, and here are my impressions so far.

That Lightning scares me. Partly because it's a performance bike from a defunct brand, and also because it looks like a jet ski.

Bolt is a cool looking bike that is just too heavy and bulky for what it is. If it had a 6 speed, and maybe lost 75 lbs, it would have been a decent contender. The short shocks with reservoir feel the same as the standard shock/spring combo. And I'm 200lbs fully clothed. That is also my impression of a Sportster 883 if anyone is wondering. 1200 is way too expensive, and it's hard to find a basic no frills leftover model. I've stopped trying, sorry adary. Also, it looks like every Harley left the showroom with thousands of dollars worth of extra stuff. And then private sellers think it's worth about as much used.

Another bike that I liked was a Triumph Speedmaster, a cruiser version of Bonneville. The seating position is great, but the massive melted gas tank and wide handlebars makes me feel as if I'm constantly hugging someone really really fat. Also got to sit on a Street Tripple, it feels weightless and fragile by comparison. But definitely not something I'd want to ride for more than an hour.

Going to look at a blacked out Shadow 750 tomorrow. It has all the right upgrades, and the price is hard to beat. Worst case scenario, I'll ride it for a year and sell it for the same amount of money. Stay tuned.

Another thing to note, CB1100 insurance is through the motherfucking roof. I was quoted $1900 for a fully optioned out policy, which is $800 more than Bonneville. That's Progressive.

Rime posted:

Don't forget that Moto Guzzi makes a sexy loving standard:

Where do they sell those things? I tried doing a google search near me (Philadelphia) and got a bunch of insurance companies and hipster workshops. It is a sexy bike. Edit: found a dealership 25 minutes away. Hello!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shop around on insurance, it pays. Some companies just don't want to insure certain bikes.

Also, I can assure you, a street triple is far from fragile. See if you can snag a test ride on one.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Also got to sit on a Street Tripple, it feels weightless and fragile by comparison. But definitely not something I'd want to ride for more than an hour.

Striples are light and light is good.

Longest time in the Saddle I've spent on mine is 12 hours. I went from Las Vegas NM to Dallas TX via loving Roswell and Midland because my father is a huge rear end in a top hat and thought that was just funny as hell.

Admittedly 12 hours in the seat isn't a lot of fun, it's really not that bad. I had a 2008 KLR650 at one point (gently caress those things right in their stupid indestructible ear) and I'd say the Striple is roughly 1,000,000 times more comfortable for long rides. I think my K75 is better than the Striple, and I spent a good many hours riding an oilhead GS through NM a few years back and they're also super comfy. For as little wind protection as the Striple has, and as thin as its seat is, it's loving awesome.

So yeah, don't count it out, they handle nice, they run good, comfortable enough, good machines.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, I can see a few reasons why the St3 wouldn't be what you're looking for (insurance cost, has at least 3x the performance of every other bike mentioned) but comfort isn't one of them. It's arguably actually comfier for just riding around than everything else listed.

The Guzzi V7 is very much an "all show, no go" kind of bike.

Also, don't forget the aftermarket. On any of these you can swap out the bars and often get a better seat. That includes the St3. With a Speedmaster you can swap on a Bonneville or Thruxton tank, but it's non-trivial work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0F_GOT3hrs

Also if you really care about the CB1100 I can pretty much guarantee Progressive is ringing it up as a CBR1100XX or something like that. They do this all the time, it saved me a bundle for a few years insuring my Z1000. You can press them, or just try Geico or some other guys (the Honda dealer may even have suggestions.)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, I can see a few reasons why the St3 wouldn't be what you're looking for (insurance cost, has at least 3x the performance of every other bike mentioned) but comfort isn't one of them. It's arguably actually comfier for just riding around than everything else listed.

The Guzzi V7 is very much an "all show, no go" kind of bike.

Also, don't forget the aftermarket. On any of these you can swap out the bars and often get a better seat. That includes the St3. With a Speedmaster you can swap on a Bonneville or Thruxton tank, but it's non-trivial work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0F_GOT3hrs

Also if you really care about the CB1100 I can pretty much guarantee Progressive is ringing it up as a CBR1100XX or something like that. They do this all the time, it saved me a bundle for a few years insuring my Z1000. You can press them, or just try Geico or some other guys (the Honda dealer may even have suggestions.)
Oh lord, that is a very sexy bike. The Speedmaster is being very seriously considered.

Anyone is using http://www.rider.com/ insurance?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
http://imgur.com/a/n8ZxU

This is what I ended up with. 2012 Honda Shadow Phantom with 4k miles. Including all that aftermarket crap. It was cheap enough that I may even turn a profit next year. Not much power, and shocks bottom out on potholes, but otherwise pretty plush and eats highway miles like nothing. I have a set of 12" progressive shocks that may fit, and looks like a tuner and better air filter could net ~10hp over stock ~40. Should be good enough. Not ideally what I wanted, but 50mpg and dirt cheap insurance are hard to beat.

I'll probably sell my other cruiser and look for a cheap Bonneville to tool around with. Thanks everyone for suggestions and advise.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2014

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If I could handle having poo poo clearance and so little suspension, I'd love a Shadow. My buddy had one when we first started riding and it was always a solid, dependable bike that made cool noises and was easy to ride. It'd have to be like, a 3rd bike before I ever got one though.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Like most small cruisers, longer aftermarket shocks in the back go a long way to addressing both the ground clearance and the lack of suspension travel.

If I were 'standardizing' one of those, longer shocks, mid controls, appropriate bars and, uh, losing the Batwing would be on the to-do list

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Truly, the batwing fairing is possibly the ugliest thing one could ever add to a motorcycle. I think I'd even prefer a windjammer over one of those things.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Nitrox posted:

and looks like a tuner and better air filter could net ~10hp over stock ~40. Should be good enough.

Pretty machine.

Kind of seems optimistic to get 25% power increase from an air filter, but hey, I don't know jackall about Shadows, so maybe they're awesome like that.

Seriously great looking rig you grabbed. Remember: rubber side down.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Truly, the batwing fairing is possibly the ugliest thing one could ever add to a motorcycle.

Pretend I linked one of those streetfighter replacement headlight / fairings that looks just like a Predator mask

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
...wait a second. Does your motorcycle have a loving cup-holder?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PadreScout posted:

Pretty machine.

Kind of seems optimistic to get 25% power increase from an air filter, but hey, I don't know jackall about Shadows, so maybe they're awesome like that.

Seriously great looking rig you grabbed. Remember: rubber side down.

Yes it's a cup holder. I've never seen one before, but it definitely is. Looks like it's sized for 24oz+ fast food cup, loving poo poo. I'm thinking of turning it into a phone/GPS holder.

Honda Shadow forums have dyno charts that go from 38 whp to 50-something with open exhaust, pod air filters and a better fuel map. That's with 4-6 degree timing advance. People report better mpgs and throttle response. At least it's an option.

I kinda like the batwing windscreen, and if it keeps the cold wind off my hands, then it's here to stay.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Like most small cruisers, longer aftermarket shocks in the back go a long way to addressing both the ground clearance and the lack of suspension travel.

If I were 'standardizing' one of those, longer shocks, mid controls, appropriate bars and, uh, losing the Batwing would be on the to-do list
Thanks. I'll try to address issues as they come. Hopefully things will improve with the new shocks. And maybe a Corbin seat, those things are magical and could be specified to any width, height, stiffness etc.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 29, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think the biggest appeal of the V7 (apart from being loving sexy) is that it looks like any valve job would be a breeze. :v:

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
This seems like a better place than a new thread for this question: anyone have any experience with royal enfields? I have a major boner for the style, and they're pretty cheap. Reliability is my main concern, as I'd like to be able to neglect it without being punished. The lower cruising speed isn't a big concern, though I'd be very interested to hear about its responsiveness with a passenger.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

MCPeePants posted:

royal enfields...
...I'd like to be able to neglect it without being punished.

Bahahaha no. They don't just look like 1940s tech, they are 1940s tech, with the constant maintenance that implies.

Don't get me wrong, I like them. They're comfortable and they handle fine with decent tyres on, the brakes aren't as terrible as you'd think and while they don't have a lot of power it's at least all down low where you want it. I was on the verge of buying a second hand one until my girlfriend at the time hosed up her finances and I helped her out with rent. In hindsight, I should have bought the bike and let her get kicked the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

SO... I posted this thread a long rear end time ago and was surprised to see it was still on the front page. I decided to buy a house instead of a bike, and I've been repairing things the inspector didn't report since then.

Anyway. I'm getting close. I may have about the right amount of money to buy a a bike near the end of fall.

Still kinda focused on a Bolt/Triumph, KLR650 or the new SR400 (kawasaki?).

• Locked thread