Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Not sure what your price range is, but if you like standard and want something that drives solid, check the BMW R Nine T. The brakes, suspension, and engine will all perform admirably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The FZ-07 came out recently.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/products/modelgallerylib/708/1/0/gallery.aspx

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Comedy option: Norton Commando

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
I've decided I want a standard bike.

Cue: Let The Bodies Hit The Floor

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ducati Scrambler. But throw out all your angle grinders first so you're not tempted by the dark arts.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ought ten posted:

Ducati Scrambler. But throw out all your angle grinders first so you're not tempted by the dark arts.
http://scramblerducati.com/en

That is the shittiest loving website I've ever seen, it plays like a phone app and is completely void of anything useful. But the bike looks nice

Edit: They don't even have a spot for it at ducati.com, just a link to the abovementioned abortion of a phone app. All I wanted to know is the seat height.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 8, 2014

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Oh you wanted to buy a bike? Hahaha so silly of me, I'm sorry. Here at Ducati we're selling a ~*lifestyle*~

As far as I know the motorcycle is the only good thing about the Scrambler. Everything else is the worst thing about motorcycling.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

No. 6 posted:

Not sure what your price range is, but if you like standard and want something that drives solid, check the BMW R Nine T. The brakes, suspension, and engine will all perform admirably.

I'm yet to see anybody riding one of these in a full-face helmet. It's as if they think the hard pavement gives a gently caress about their Lord Kitchener moustaches.

edit: Reading back through this thread, it really is baffling what the obstacle is to making a properly retro-styled bike that rides well (i.e. like a modern bike should), looks pretty, won't shred your spine or taint, goes braap real nice, and doesn't cost a poo poo-ton too much money. Why is BMW (soon to be joined by Ducati I guess) the only manufacturer that has seen fit to give a 'retro' coolguy bike decent monoshock suspension? And the thing still has the stupidest engine in the world and is so appallingly, blindingly, obviously targeted to late-20s beard-combing yuppie turds with more money than taste.

Just, gently caress. Am I wrong in thinking that nearly all people who buy Bonnevilles and W800s and poo poo want is the aesthetic and to look like Steve McQueen? So, get a normal, modern, standard motorcycle frame, give it acceptable post-1980s suspension, put some torquey V-twin in there, and give it a flat tank and comfy seat like the Bonnie and hey presto! There won't be a loving thing that's 'authentic' about it, because it'll be a thousand times better to ride than any bike from the 50s or 60s, but you'd sell a million of the fuckers. Like, why don't Harley do this with the 883? The XR1200 was a fine effort at tapping into the retro-standard market, but it still had a big floppy dual-shock chassis and weighed 250kg. It cannot be that loving hard to make a bike with 50s styling that actually works as a modern bike with proper fun potential for under $8k American (lol @ the idea of a Harley under $8k new).

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 8, 2014

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I think the answer to this thread is a b-king. Rides great, comfortable, cheap, cheap insurance, abs available, and obviously big displacement.

The answer is always more displacement.

Of course you'll have to look at it, which some people find offensive.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Nitrox posted:

http://scramblerducati.com/en

That is the shittiest loving website I've ever seen, it plays like a phone app and is completely void of anything useful. But the bike looks nice

Edit: They don't even have a spot for it at ducati.com, just a link to the abovementioned abortion of a phone app. All I wanted to know is the seat height.

Looks like it's 31.1" (or 30.3 optionally). You just need to scroll down and then you can find specs.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm yet to see anybody riding one of these in a full-face helmet. It's as if they think the hard pavement gives a gently caress about their Lord Kitchener moustaches.

edit: Reading back through this thread, it really is baffling what the obstacle is to making a properly retro-styled bike that rides well (i.e. like a modern bike should), looks pretty, won't shred your spine or taint, goes braap real nice, and doesn't cost a poo poo-ton too much money. Why is BMW (soon to be joined by Ducati I guess) the only manufacturer that has seen fit to give a 'retro' coolguy bike decent monoshock suspension? And the thing still has the stupidest engine in the world and is so appallingly, blindingly, obviously targeted to late-20s beard-combing yuppie turds with more money than taste.

Just, gently caress. Am I wrong in thinking that nearly all people who buy Bonnevilles and W800s and poo poo want is the aesthetic and to look like Steve McQueen? So, get a normal, modern, standard motorcycle frame, give it acceptable post-1980s suspension, put some torquey V-twin in there, and give it a flat tank and comfy seat like the Bonnie and hey presto! There won't be a loving thing that's 'authentic' about it, because it'll be a thousand times better to ride than any bike from the 50s or 60s, but you'd sell a million of the fuckers. Like, why don't Harley do this with the 883? The XR1200 was a fine effort at tapping into the retro-standard market, but it still had a big floppy dual-shock chassis and weighed 250kg. It cannot be that loving hard to make a bike with 50s styling that actually works as a modern bike with proper fun potential for under $8k American (lol @ the idea of a Harley under $8k new).

Aren't those new Husky concepts precisely that?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Simkin posted:

Looks like it's 31.1" (or 30.3 optionally). You just need to scroll down and then you can find specs.
Thanks, I found it eventually.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I think the Street 750 is closer to this than the 883, and I won't be surprised if there are other mid-sized Revolution bikes in the future that get closer still. It probably depends on what flies stylistically with the Indian/Asian market.

On a different note...any thoughts on the Honda 599?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
599s are cool. I think they're too expensive for what they are, but that probably just means a lot of people like them.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
My 599 fanboy alarm just went off.

Skier posted:

Honda 919s or 599s fit the bill if you are okay with used. 599s are carbed and were only in North America for '04 and '06. You can find 599s for $2000 to $5000 all day long on craigslist. I've had my '04 since '06 and still love it. 919s were sold in North America for a few more years and are all EFI I believe.

There's an '06 599 for sale in the Seattle area for $3,000 right now, hasn't moved in weeks. Can probably get it for $2800.

Solid bikes, fun, aftermarket is shrinking a bit due to small quantities of bikes. Prepare to hunt on ebay if you want things like hard luggage racks or an Ohlins shock. F3 forks apparently swap right in on '04s to get cartridge forks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

599's are boring according to everyone I've known who owned then sold one. Honda precision leading straight to complete predictability and boredom. Plus there's the Honda tax on top of all that.

You can sacrifice the boring without sacrificing the reliability with things like the Bandit 1200, zrx, sv, z1k, etc.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

599's are boring according to everyone I've known who owned then sold one. Honda precision leading straight to complete predictability and boredom. Plus there's the Honda tax on top of all that.

You can sacrifice the boring without sacrificing the reliability with things like the Bandit 1200, zrx, sv, z1k, etc.

I've ridden a Bandit and owned an SV, I really didn't like them for reasons I can't fully articulate. The (first gen) SV in particular I really disliked. But my first and most favorite bike was a Honda CB-1, and I would probably have bought a VFR in there somewhere if I could've reached the ground with at least one foot (I literally could not even stop at stop signs on my test ride), so I may just be infected with some Honda boredom disease.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just popping in to say ZRX.

I loving love mine.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

This bike is the reason I got a license and it hurts that I don't have one.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

A Loud Fart posted:

This bike is the reason I got a license and it hurts that I don't have one.

I spent quite a bit of time with that bike at the bike show a while back (unfortunately just floor model, not test ride). It's very nice.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I spent quite a bit of time with that bike at the bike show a while back (unfortunately just floor model, not test ride). It's very nice.

Just wait for the "p-twins suck" pooh-pooh brigade to show up and tell you how it should have been a v-twin instead.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Just wait for the "p-twins suck" pooh-pooh brigade to show up and tell you how it should have been a v-twin instead.

It sounds like a V-twin, so best of both worlds?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm not saying it shouldn't have.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The versys has taught me that some p-twins own, I used to universally hate them, but some are done right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Any engine design can own if you just give love a chance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you beliiiiiieeevvveeeeeee in life after 4's?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'd like to add that I am 6 foot and 280.... i was going to buy a scout but I was told it was too small for my fatass.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just don't want to look dumb on a bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wendigee posted:

I'd like to add that I am 6 foot and 280.... i was going to buy a scout but I was told it was too small for my fatass.

So I probably sound like a shill at this point, but I'm 6'3" and a bit less than you and the Versys is the most comfortable bike I've ridden, even over the drz and bandit 1200 which are known as good "big dude" bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Wendigee posted:

I just don't want to look dumb on a bike.

The nice thing about looking dumb on a bike is you don't have to look at you.

Ride what you feel good on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
At 6' 280 I'm going to shill vegetables and buying a pushbike.

• Locked thread