Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Wendigee posted:

The SVF650 and vstrom... I am not a fan of the styling.

I've kind of narrowed it down to a Bonneville Triumph or a Honda CB1100.

Triumph seems to be a bit cheaper... Honda has a slightly larger engine. Any thoughts? Anyone had experience with both bikes?

I've scrounged a bit and it looks like Honda will be releasing a reworked version of the CB1100 EX sometime in 2014. Adding a sixth gear while turning the CB1100 standard edition into a more barebones cafe race style which likely won't appeal to me. I want an upright seating position.

I've heard the CB1100 drives rather milder than the Bonneville even though the enginer has a large displacement.

I want fast acceleration and be able to cruise comfortably at 75mph.

Thoughts? Comments?

The Bonneville is not fast, it's heavy and sluggish IMO, I haven't ridden the Honda but my guess is that it would be significantly faster. The dyno charts I found after a quick google seem to say the same.

I guess you're into the retro styling so maybe the CB1100 is a good choice but I'd give some newer standards a good look, Street Triple is a great bike, but if you want old time looks I guess those two and the Guzzu V7 are your choices and out of that bunch the CB1100 is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's not the bike, it's you. If you've gotten used to 75+mph wind on your upper body, good for you, but that's like getting comfortable with underwear 2 sizes too small. It's not really comfortable, you're just putting up with it. If you wanna cruise at high speed, get a windshield.

Cruising around on naked bikes over the last 6 years has given me a 17.5 inch neck. I swear it's not all the donuts.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Nice Sweet Meat posted:

To the guy that posted all the HP/Torque stuff: who cares? Motorcycles in this country have gone nuts. Every year the displacements get bigger, and for what? Track days? What if you don't care about that poo poo and don't want a drat car engine on your bike? Maybe it's because we're so fat and our dicks are being subsumed by our gunts so we feel the need to compensate with these monsters. The bonny is a gentlemans bike, if you get it, you will like it. Yeah the acceleration is linear, but that's a good thing. My last bike was a 07 Ninja 500, and the jerky torque got me in trouble more often than not. I was glad when it got totalled.

Look at this happy mother fucker.

it's me

An album of the bike I love: http://imgur.com/a/aLpLN

The OP said he thought the Bonneville was faster, I was just informing him.

I guess I forgot to mention earlier I rented a Bonnie when I went to ride in California, it wasn't just slightly slower than modern day motorcycle it was surprisingly slow and heavy feeling. I've spent a few years cruising around on single cylinders and a GS500 so I don't mind slow bikes. However a brand new bike that costs and much as a Bonneville does shouldn't be that slow that's all. Here is a revelation, faster bikes are more fun and thinking so doesn't make you some crazy frat bro dick head. Nice jean cuffs.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

As the owner of a retro styled bike I can attest it took me years to get the suspension sorted out on my bike and I had the benefit of my bike having the same geometery as a modern Ducati. I had to swap the forks from Monster S4r and had to buy new shocks. Which brings me to my point if you like the Bonneville why not find a used GT1000, I love mine, looks kinda old but is basically a modern bike. Engine is the DS1000 unit Ducati has slapped in a million diff bikes and for an Italian motor is fairly reliable. Will cruise all day on the highway if you have the neck muscle for it.

The prices are getting a bit silly but they're great bikes.

Here let me make a case for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap8g9PxW1bs

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

90 degree twin supremacy forever.

• Locked thread