Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ofaloaf posted:

Look, you might unhelpfully call them traitors, I call them a potential source of vast amounts of manpower we could tap into if we just accepted the Bishop of Rome as head of the Church. :argh:

Why don't you just bend down and suck the kebab of a Turk with that kind of talk, Frank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It is the rest of Europe that isolates itself from us for bowing to the silver tongue of that liar, the Pope! If they wish to follow the vile words of the Serpent, then let them burn in Hell alone, we need not risk the very character of Rome to save her wayward kin!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Calm yourself, Senator, the heretic stands alone on this matter, and I doubt anyone will give thought to his vile words, save perhaps the Komnenian, if only through lack of thought. Not one day in this Senate, and already I have been exposed to such blasphemous thoughts within the echelons of our own court! Do pray for my soul, man, and for that of the Romans. As of yet, I am undeclared, though I find great sympathy with your plight.

It is true what the Frank says, the old Latins of the West has fallen astray, deceived by the Bishop of Rome. And it is indeed true that they are closer in kin and distance to us than the Slavs of the far north. But, my brothers, is this not greater cause to show them the error of their ways? Does this not provoke a call to action? We are still the greatest empire under the eye of God, the cradle of civilization in the West, all that has changed is our capital and our language. We are parents to the Latins, and they are simply indulging in the ways of youthful folly. A good parent must have both carrot and stick, we cannot prostrate ourselves before our rightful subjects when they are so misled! We must dispose of the False Prophet in Rome, reclaim the Patriarchs of old, and show the light of the true rite to our wayward sons and daughters! And if they do not take our olive branch, they must accept our steel.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Vote for Old Romans.

Apologies for my lateness, fellow senators, though it seems there is finally cause to take with a faction.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Oh dear, oh dear, this is quite a mess... Er, you see, this is the first time my family's been in the Senate house for quite a while, I wouldn't want to shame my dear great grandfather by making the wrong choice... So, um, if it's alright with everyone, I-I'd like to propose my own party? If that's alright? I-I made a banner and everything!

##Vote Centrists

I don't want to, um, step on any toes, that is, but everyone seems so very passionate about voting... Everyone has good ideas! If the Centrist party takes any place in the Senate, I promise we won't be too extreme, and we'll make sure everyone is happy! After all, my grandfather, the first senator in our family always said the truth was in the middle!

...Or was it in Rome? I don't remember. Oh no, I've messed up already...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blackunknown posted:

Well met fellow Senator, a new party is not unwelcome, though I would like to know what your party stands for. In any case no need to be afraid most of the Senators here have a bark worse then their bite... except for Senator Scruffles he has a mean bite. In any case their is nothing to worry about (except Croatian-Bulgarian-Seljuk Assassins) so speak up.

Oh, gosh, that's a big question... Well, I guess, think about the whole Rome-Byzantium conflict! I certainly think we're Byzantine and we're most definitely Roman, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by saying we're absolutely one way or the other... I think we're a little bit of both, really! I'd definitely like a compromise were we to take Rome, after all, we might offend the New Byzantines if we go all the way Roman, or we might offend the Old Romans if we remain Byzantine! It's a very complicated issue and I don't think there's one right answer!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hostergaard posted:

Actually, I have been thinking about exactly that for a while, so why not now, now that you mention it.

Hellenistic Restoration

Wow, what a... Er... Unique idea! You know, my father always kept a statue of Athena in the center of our home, my grandfather always hated it, but I think it's very pretty! I'm sure you have some great plans for the future, and we in the Centrists will gladly work on compromises with you! Um, by we, I mean me.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics

Ha!! Look at this boy, such an agreeable fellow. You have a bright future in the senate son.

I'm a real senator! :swoon:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

*pant, pant* F-finally... F-finally made it! The Centrist Party would officially like to sponsor all current... It's done? We did what in Sicily?

...O-oh. Um, g-good job, everyone! I-I mean, there are some bad things too, I think? But also some good!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ratoslov posted:

That face. It can't be...?

Senator Raserys? It is you. By Jesus, Mary, and John.

You disappeared right before the vote, but that was eight years ago. You're looking quite well, for a man we thought was dead. Nobody could find hide nor hair of you. Where on Earth have you been, sir?

W-what?! 8 years?! B-but it's only been a week since the party vote! I just took a shortcut through the... Oh god... Oh no!

Blackunknown posted:

The New Byzantines
Steppes and Republics

Your a little late son, here have a seat and regain your breath. You best keep a more detailed time schedule now huh?

Oh dear, oh dear... I-I suppose... So we must append ourselves to one of the primary parties? I'll follow your decision on this, Senator, I do hope no one is too offended...

New Byzantines
Centrists

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

How exciting! We live in such interesting times. I hope we don't hurt anyone though, let's just make sure that we do this in a way that makes sure everyone goes home safe and satisfied!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

We did it! Good job, everyone! :neckbeard:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

#Vote Centrists

All this talk about dissolving the-the New Byzantines, w-we have to stick together, everyone! I-I mean, if you want to, that's alright with me, b-but, I um, uh...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Sponsor the Heraclius Act
##Sponsor the Illyrian Reconquest Act
##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act
##Sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act
##Sponsor the Assimilate the Theme of Genoa
##Sponsor the Amended Nomenclature Act
##Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
##Sponsor the Imperial Infrastructure and Centralization Act
##Sponsor the Jewish Reward Act
##Sponsor the Naval Reforms Act
##Sponsor the The Imperial Army Act
##Sponsor the Church Tax Break
##Sponsor the The Varangian Reward Act
##Sponsor the Evangelism Act
##Sponsor the Church Inauguration Act
##Sponsor the Merchant Levant Act
##Sponsor the No Pally of the Somali Act
##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act
##Sponsor the Ducal Education Act
##Sponsor the Imperial Wisdom Act
##Sponsor the Paint it White Act
##Sponsor the Divided As One Act

I'm glad we get this chance to work together, everyone! It's so nice to help get something done! :downs:

Raserys fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Sponsor the Valerian Order Establishment Act
##Sponsor the Franco-Roman Alliance Act

Oh no, I missed some! I didn't forget you, Senators, I swear, I just didn't see your acts for a moment! :ohdear:

Are the Loyalists truly dissolved? It's quite sad, everyone has the right idea :(

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Emperor Trajan did pretty well if you ask me! W-well, sure, he may not have done much, but if anything, that makes it more impressive! You know, that new angel statue looks an awful lot like one of the old statues my grandfather used to keep around... Of course, that was Athena, this one is completely different!

AJ_Impy posted:

As a relative newcomer to the Senate following my father passing on the mantle of the ΑΙ υποσημειώ Ιμπυ lineage, the rule of Basileus Trajan constitutes the majority of my experience. His passing saddens me greatly, for as vital as ending heresies with swords may be, ending them with words is the far greater act. I welcome Basileus Kyriakos, for in him we have a Basileus of great zeal, a patient man with an intellect to match his father and with impressive skill with a blade.

Ah, don't think of it as a lack of experience, buddy, I'm glad we have young Senators like you to keep the blood fresh! I'm sure your father must be very proud of you, I'm retiring soon myself, and my own son has, um, ah... a condition that worries me sometimes, but you certainly have nothing to be ashamed of!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So this is the Senate House, is it? It seems rather spacey in here...

I must congratulate Empress Valeria for accomplishing what generations of Roman Emperors have failed to accomplish. My father would no doubt be apologetically excited for this day.

My loyalties are not to any lofty ideals you New Byzantines may hold, but to the Empire first and foremost. Do you see this map? Only two kings cling yet to the false authority of that whore of Babylon.

For the common folk whom you fear so greatly for, what will change of their lives? So many of the former Papists have turned to the light, it is a miracle if nothing else. Had there been more resistance, we would not doubt be in a time of bloodshed, but the West has seen the true path, and no time of troubles shall emerge here.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

It's time I threw back the curtain. You whitewashers wanted to see the Black Chamber with your own eyes? Here you go.

I denounce the title "Speaker of the People" and formally announce my allegiance to the Black Chamber. Loyal not to the throne, but to the Empire itself.

Now that's something I can agree with.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

StrifeHira posted:

A final thing, if I see any of you folks claiming support for the Black Chamber gathering under a banner with an axe tied to a bundle of sticks, don't be surprised is some crazed, frothing mad woman bolts down there with a cheirosiphon and demonstrates the true meaning of the word "kindling."

And what is wrong with the fasces? It is a proud symbol of Roman authority, I doubt anyone could somehow defile the symbol in the way I believe you suggest.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Heh. Heh heh. Not one session in the Senate and I'm already headless for it. My father sent me in place of my... problematic brother. Seems he'll have to join up himself.

I'll see you in Hell, craven. You order death, but you're too scared to lift the axe yourself. A head is a head, I suppose. The Roman Empire we've served and killed and died for is through, I suppose I'd have nothing to do anyway. History will vindicate us.

...You speak Italian, Tsar...?

Here's to you, Nicola and Bart
Rest here forever in our hearts
The last and final moment is yours
That agony is your triumph

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
*hic* What's all the drat... commotion out here?

...Arrren't you lot senators? The hell are you doing out here? I wasss j-just *hic* lookin' for you, actually, my brother lost his head and I heard I had to replace him or ssssomethin'? Heard you'd be up in Kiev, but turns out you were off partying in Antioch without me... Figgered I might as well just wait near town for you... Got some good Russian drink out of it, at least. They call it *hic* vodka, y'know?

...What's that smell?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So, lemme see if I've got thish *hic* right, in the pasht, er, five years, one shar got blown to poo poo, heh heh heh, aaaaaaand anotherr one got the *hic* can... You shenators are pretty *hic* excitin', aren't ya? Y'know, it wash my brother who told me to wait for you guysh in *hic* Kiev, put it in that little will o' his... Hope he shoveled the poo poo that killed Yugoslavl 'imself, heh heh!

IIIII like you, Komi... Komita... Komita *hic*... I like you buddy! Leeeet'sh be friends!

##Support Branash

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Not so loud, I have a massive headache...

These Sericans are quite a fascinating people. I spent some time in the Western Ming court for, um, diplomatic purposes, and have grown quite a fondness for their cuisine. And their women, but that's beside the point.

I've considered perhaps we should start some kind of service to sell these exotic foods, prepared near the Senate House, but with a system of delivery that stretches across Constantinople! What do you think? Eh? Ehhhhhh?

Raserys fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 21, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Precisely! I, for one, embrace our new Chinese overlords.

Long live the Da Qin Party!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

DentedLamp posted:

Call me racist, but I simply can't stand any of the Ming; the Creamy-Yogurt White Man's oppression has always gone too far to forgive that nation and its inhabitants.

(Or is it just White Man With Epicanthic Folds?)

Sorry, what?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Dàjiā hǎo.

When Gan Ying sailed to Mesopotamia to meet the Romans hundreds of years ago, he came back with tales of a place called Daqin. This mythical land was a place where kings were just and noble, where rare metals and gems glistened in the bare soil, where great cities stood guarded by mighty walls. This was an exaggeration of course, and mostly second-hand tales from Parthians, but nonetheless, the Chinese clearly understood that a great and mighty empire to rival their own lay out on the other edge of the world.

Conversely, our empire is referred to as Fulin. To the motherland, Fulin is but another distant kingdom, unworthy of great effort to contact. Our fall could not be greater. Under the Latins, Rome was the great counterweight to China, the natural counterpart to the Middle Kingdom. This "Byzantium" to them, is merely another barbarian kingdom. This cannot be.

##Vote Rome, for we must discard this petty division of the modern day, and embrace the image of our glorious past. If not at home, at least projected to others. The name "Fulin" carries no weight beyond the Frontier. But "Daqin" is a legend, one that is spoken of still to this day.

As for restructuring of our government, I ##Sponsor The Ming Solution and ##Sponsor Creation of an Imperial Bureaucracy. One only needs to look at the success of the Ming to see how these systems have favored China. Worst case scenario, the Emperor loses a deal of power, which I'm sure many of you wouldn't mind, best case scenario, the Emperor takes back the power which these petty douxes have stolen from the ancient office.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Funky Valentine posted:

I can think of one good reason to change the name to "Rome"...

Marketing.

Who the hell would go pay money to see some backwater Greek colony that just so happens to house the Roman government?

Also, ##Propose the Exploration Act.

Let's be realistic. We can't expand worth poo poo in Asia Minor now thanks to the drat Chinese. Europe proper is equally a fool's errand. So. We need a new outlet for our innate Roman expansionist urges. We have a port on the Red Sea. Using that, I propose we send expeditions down the coast of Africa and along the coast of Persia to seek out new civilizations and lands to promptly subjugate and extort money from to properly trade with.

This Senator has the right idea of it. Do not mistake this banner for submission to China, it is a sign that our wealth lies not in the madhouse of Europe, but out in the East!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

theblastizard posted:

Here are two incredibly low effort Chinese Austria flags incase someone fails to come up with a cool idea. Theoretically the text in Chinese means Eastern Kingdom, because Osterreich, but I'm trusting internet translators here because I know nothing about Chinese.

On one hand, I doubt the Ming have had any lasting impression on Austrian identity aside from perhaps bolstering it.

On the other hand, Chinese Austria :allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Vote A

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

##Found the Da Qin (officially)

Da Qin was a political movement begun in the mid-1400s by Ming migrants into the Roman Empire. The movement is founded in the roots of the mythical "Da Qin" of Chinese legend, often associated with the Roman Empire. It proposes close relations with the Ming Dynasty and frontier states, including alliances, trade benefits, and others. In addition, the movement seeks to restore the Roman Empire to the "Da Qin" level of influence it once possessed through "inward perfection", involving many reforms based off Chinese systems of government and bureaucracy, at the cost of diplomatic isolation from the West.

In-Game: Close relations with Chinese states. Seeks to invoke centralization, efficiency, and technological advancement by modeling Chinese government and bureaucracy as closely as possible. Strongly favors isolationism in regards to the West and the Muslims, but with a general support of Eastern trade and exploration or recreating classical Eastern borders (so long as it aids relations with China or supports the "Da Qin" ideal of Rome).

---
Digenes "Akritas" Raseres
1421*-
(*-First brought to Constantinople)

Many the most influential supporters of the movement were of mixed Greek and Chinese descent, some the result of Senatorial dalliances with Chinese courtesans. Its foundation in the Roman Senate can be traced to one of these results, Digenes "Akritas" of the noble house Raseres, a family known primarily for their role in failed political movements, such as the Centrists or the Black Chamber Party. Digenes was born under the name Sun Xiao as the bastard of Senator Basileios Raseres and a Ming prostitute known only as Lady Sun. For some time he lived with his mother in the Frontier court, but following the death of Chang Yuchun and the unrest that followed, she fled with him to Constantinople, where he was introduced to his father. He was baptized as Digenes Akritas, in reference to the Greco-Syrian folk hero, and received a mixed education from his parents (primarily his mother with little help from his drunkard father) in Latin, Greek, and Mandarin. For a time, he served as a Roman diplomat to the Ming, but returned to Constantinople shortly before the 8th Session, to take up an offer to become a Da Qin representative in the Senate.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Hm, this caucus... Is an interesting proposal. While I would gladly work towards an agenda of extended Eastern contact and reasonable levels of trade, I can't say I approve strongly of any notions of colonization or conquest. We would simply overextend ourselves by seeking conquests too far beyond Constantinople, look at what happened to the Ming Frontier, and that was with the levels of Chinese efficiency we have yet to match.
/

Raserys fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 21, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I expected this, really. It's little matter, history will vindicate the Da Qin. Time proves that China endures while the lesser states of the world crumble into dust, and regardless of my clout in the Senate, I will continue to fight for her equal in Rome.

While I can't say any of the existing coalitions are to my taste, the Cartographer's Coalition will suit for now. I admire an attempt to bring order in these chaotic times. China, too, has always sought purity in her borders. There are limits to which we can expand, protectorates are key to our future.

Of course, any such future conquests must meet strict bureaucratic standards as designed by an Imperial Cartography Committee. Oh, our sphere of influence must be shaped so as not to compete with Chinese interests, and we must be sure to avoid excessive entanglement with Western affairs. Now, to begin proposing a strict code of regulation for the beautification of our borders, I have drafted a lengthy document here, see here how in Article VII, Section III, the layout of vassals are strictly limited by...
/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

NewMars posted:

So china has always sought purity on their borders? Is that why they sent a million men down the silk road to take Iberia and create the ugliest patchwork of states ever seen in history?

Chang Yuchun's mission was to liberate those chained beneath the yoke of the Mongols and return them to self-governance... With some tribute to China to express their gratefulness, of course.

He attempted to forge an empire of his own, and we have yet another of many examples of disaster arising from those who defy their duty. I would think that Romans know this better than any others, for were Douxes not the scorn of Roman unity before our reforms, which were intended to model Chinese government? And yet another example of how extending beyond the range and capabilities of the homeland will prove a failure time and time again.
/

Raserys fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 21, 2014

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Still around, but neutered like the dogs they are. Again, with thanks to Chinese-style reforms. Can you truly place the blame for the folly of one man upon a vast expanse of government and bureaucracy? Were the actions of Yaroslav caused by the Senate? I hardly think so.

And you seem to have me mistaken for another man, Senator. My mother was of the Ming, but my father was of the Roman Senate. I merely admire Chinese governance, I am as Roman as any of you here.
/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I'm glad to see we share similar goals, Senator. Our approaches may differ, but in the end, we both seek the return of power to Constantinople. I may want it through reform, you may want it through the sword, whichever way, the majority of members in the Senate agree that Rome must become the great power it was in antiquity, the counterbalance of civilization in the West. All I suggest is that we look East for inspiration.
/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Da Qin will cooperate with the Inclusionists. Your philosophy of seeking stability and unity is similar to our own, the philosophy of inward perfection. And it is through this that we will become equals of China and the Da Qin of old, not through bloody conquest.
/

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

StrifeHira posted:

An extra flag for Da Qin. Since everyone wants to be a Rome, don't they? Let's just hope there are less "Romes" here than the Serbia one had...

It's every ridiculous empire-wank I've ever dreamed of :swoon:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
He who controls both shores of the new world can only be known as THE AMERIKHAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm really excited for this mod, EUIV (and really, Paradox games in general) need more alt. history starts.

Also, is Fujiwara supposed to not have a decision to form Japan once the Mongols and Kamakura are down?

Raserys fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread