Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
This is excellent, and you should feel excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

We are our own state, not some petty holdover of a now-defunct empire we romanticise so heavily. The Westerners ruined Old Rome; they've fractured into a dozen squabbling nations under a power-hungry heretic sitting on Latium! Why would we even begin to consider taking them back into the fold, when we've maintained ourselves unaided for countless centuries against numberless heathen hordes? No, Byzantium is what stands strong in this new age, and we must hold to strengthening it still further, not some idle dream of a dead empire fractured so deeply as to be unrecognisable. Glory to Constantinople and the Pentarchy! Death to the enemies of Hellas!

But as far as more pragmatic matters are concerned, C is the wisest course of action we can take against the Saimids. Our defeat is certain; no words may be minced as regards the subject. With defeat certain now, we must thus also consider whether defeat will be certain in another five years time. Is this period sufficient to see our power bolstered to such an extent, or the Saimids weakened, that we may even contemplate contesting them again? No; it is not. The Saimids will grow stronger, with their vast army the current result of an empire only just reunited. Time is allied to our enemies, and we can solely hope to scrape some of it for ourselves, that we might one day hold even a candle to their ever-consolidating hordes.

If we drag out the current war for as long as we may possibly can, it will delay the next war surely imminent; and if we may delay the next war to be waged upon us, we gain time that may be used to definitively secure an alliance with Germany (I admit the irony here, considering the condemnation I just put forth against the Westerners) or some other great power. Perhaps it is time that could even be spent assassinating their current caliph... but we have no way to know, unless we gain as much of it as we may in the first place. The Third Option discussed is our best hope for such an objective.

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I am curious -- this seems a fairly obvious observation, but are the Old Romans effectively our "conservative" party and the New Byzantines our "liberal?"

And if so, which of the other parties best takes up the Modernisers mantle?

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 20, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
My, but we're certainly getting spicy. But I suppose the question lies in more whether the Senator in question prefers to end the Schism by force or by accession. Do we really want to be the side that admits defeat? We, the glorious state of Rome in Byzantium?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

My fellow Fraternalists do not take their mercantile interests far enough. Indeed, my fellow Senators do not take to the interests of power far enough! The Old Romans worship foolishly the old empire, and the Milvians to their god, and the TRAITORS to their god; the New Byzantines to their modernisation, the Komnenians to their (indeed illustrious) rulers, and the SPRQiots to their foolishness. Greater than all of these objects of adulation is the worship of coin! Wealth grants a greater connection to God than anything else; indeed, wealth is God, for it is wealth that funds the swords brought to bear against the infidel, and the prize that truly awaits after every conquest.

Wealth subsidises peace with our peers. Wealth drives each and every institution, and each form of politick is simply an inefficient expression of its pursuit. Why is it that we do not shift away from these outdated systems, when better ones show off their bounty in the golden mosques of Aksum, in the gilded mountainhomes of Reykjavik, in our very own coffers? The Crimeans rightly revolt against us, for we impede their pursuit of wealth. We should not stifle these pursuits, but instead spread them fully to our entire empire! Turn each and every theme into its own merchant republic, and tax them until Constantinople itself collapses into the Bosphorus under the weight of countless riches!

Glory to Money!

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
It would be nice if the other icons could have colours other than red. It gets more than a little irritating to see columns of red icons differentiated only by a few dots or some variant of minimalist border.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Guards! Take this "Senator" away!

But... that icon is so gorgeous. :(

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

trying to have us convert to the old Hellenic religion of our forefathers

The Old Romans will get there eventually, I'm sure.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

You do realize... lemme check my numbers... something like half the empire starts their day with a nice warm cup of chai? Like, a good quarter of our trade tariffs come from moving boxes of tea leaves from one end of the empire to the other. Turkish tea is Roman profit.

Yeah, I'm uncertain as to whether I can foster any sentiment for the TEA Party, if this is going to be their standard approach towards the trappings of glorious money.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
This chaos of discourse is meandering, irksome; make not the politics of we Byzantines any more byzantine than they must be, divisive coalitionists.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
The Republic of Somalia is already my favourite divergence in history, thus far. They're poised to conquer all of Abyssinia and perhaps even Southern Arabia, and they hold a complete stranglehold over the trade of the non-Mediterranean Middle East. They would, realistically speaking, be by far the most wealthy state of the "Western" world, and they will doubtless hold status as a major polity if they can also manage to take the territories of their local region.

Contrast this to the Somalia of OTL, and then imagine how the disgustingly rich Somalian Republic will end up over another 800 years of history.

Well, assuming the Egyptians don't cramp their style, of course, and that the Caliphates maintain the current trend of crippling revolts.

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 10, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Edit: Well nuts, showed up too late. Next time perhaps I'll have less History papers to write. :eng99:

At the very least, it was pretty funny that you posted your vote in the same secondunit of time less than a minute that Rincewind announced a cesura of further votes.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

The Saurus posted:

Is there a party representing the mercantile interests of the black sea republics yet cause I want in on that

The Fraternalists are arguably the most fitting candidate, but you might as well create your own.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
The facial structure of our most recent rulers is... disappointing, to say the least.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
It would be wonderful if you could give Traianos a beard to cover up those strange fungal growths beneath his chin.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I really do hope that we never impede the Somalians in any form. They're one of the more delightfully ahistorical components of this timeline, thus far.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Sindai posted:

Somalia seems like it might actually be pretty fun to play in an EU4 conversion, assuming it stays about the same size it already is.

In consideration of its performance in CK2, it would need absolutely ridiculous national ideas, of course.

Also: I was loving Somalia before it was cool. :douche:

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 21, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

##Propose the Naval Reforms Act
Our navies have ruled the Mediterranean with the gift of Greek Fire, but technology may eventually threaten our advantage. Let us invest in naval advances, and ensure that we have sufficient ports near or on Iberia!

(OOC: This is an attempt to ensure we're in a good position to colonize come EU4)

If we conquer a portion of Persia/something near Basra, we'll be in an excellent position to colonise Africa and Asia; which, quite frankly, seems far more historically plausible than Eastern Rome colonising the New World. And even so, we might be in a position to at least colonize portions of the Americas, if we pursue a campaign of African expansion heavily enough.

We could even just get a port on the Red Sea, which should eventually suffice for colonisation, albeit at the cost of aggravating the Somalian Lion.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

The notion that the Empire has a need to pillage the churches to maintain solvency is an insult to its greatness-- our wealth is already the envy of the world. If you would propose a tax hike, aim it at those whom can afford it best and need their money least-- the unworthy douxes.

I'm pretty sure that Somalia's wealth is the envy the world, but I guess we're quite rich, too.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Maybe we could even give them Cyprus or something for EU4.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
I think Somalia took a new province in Yemen! Isn't that amazing?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
It is very possible for something disastrous or extremely weird to conveniently happen right before the conversion to EU, particularly if the thread expresses a wish for it that is somehow inexplicably granted by the game engine, almost certainly by complete chance. HINT, HINT.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The People

*the senator stumbles into the chamber, a empty bottle of wine in his hands. He sits at his place and stares across the chamber*

I shot a kid. She was 13 years old.

*rubs temples*

You know, when you're a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein' an assassin except how to live with yourself. Ακολουθώ τη βούληση της Μαύρης Επιμελητηρίου.

*opens another bottle of wine and starts chugging*

"the senator"

what the gently caress even is the senate, at this point

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

This is unacceptable. The Kievans will sully the glory of Rome; we Romans should be the leader of any Union between states, as has always been its tradition in dominating the world. Instead, we are now beholden to some barely civilised northerners. Imagine it; this... pretender, Yaroslav, will undo all the things accomplished from the first era of the Imperial Resurgence and the Komnenian Restoration, everything from Alexios the Great to the Valerian Empresses. He'll probably even move the capital away from Constantinople! Would any true Roman, any true Greek or Turk or Latin, accept this travesty? No -- and rightly so. Rally against this usurper, spawned from the womb of that kinslaying wench, and restore autonomy to we most fortunate in all the world.

...Though I'm curious as to how the Somalians are doing, since they're seriously contesting us for that title. I've not received any information from correspondents in the region in quite some time.

New Byzantine, Old Roman, it matters not. All members of this Senate must simply do whatever they may, any political compromise or personal sacrifice, to ensure that the crowns of Rome and Kiev are separated; or, failing that, that Roman superiority is established in all international relationships. Despite the hostility of my earlier words, I bear no ill will to the peoples of Kiev -- but they must nevertheless be at least subject to Rome, for there is no better path towards the enlightenment of the world and all her children.

Δόξα σε μας! Δόξα στη Ρώμη!

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Well, Unitas will always remain in my heart. Thank you for not executing me.

Worm. So readily do you dispense of dignity and honour.

Our new Emperor-Tsar has indeed shown himself to be decisive and formidable in speech. But it remains to be seen whether this strength extends beyond his words so heavily tinged with that foul barbarian accent, even accounting for his "noble" and so very politically adroit move of executing harmless politicians.

The current reformation of this body holds that no new proposals for conquests of territory may be brought forth, but he will never truly earn the respect of the Roman people and government without first proving himself to be as great a conquerer and administrator as Alexios or Iouliana or the Anointed Valerias. He condemned his predecessors for not succeeding against the Papal menace on our borders -- why, then, does our "illustrious" leader not take care of the issue himself? Why does this cowardly upstart not prove his worth to Rome, instead of fawning over this body he so readily spat upon a short moment ago?

Perhaps it is because he is not worthy of his position.

Lost Season posted:

On a personal note, I question the selection of white for the colors of the Varangian Committee. I imagine they'll quickly get stained with blood.

All the better to display Rome's strength and our own glory.

DentedLamp fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 17, 2014

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Your words ring a little less, DentedLamp, while you're wearing the colors that our Honorable Tsar gave to you.

"Harmless politician" is an excellent description for you.

How often in these halls did we hear the words-- loyalty to Rome, not to simply Komnenos? And how quickly have the fallen hollow? I see before us today glory. Yes, glory, if you can all cease your bickerings and moanings at the executions of traitors. Look at our domain! Look at the lands that now encompass our great union, with not a single drop of blood spilled!

This is the dawning of a new age, and the Yaroslovovich Golden Age will shine far brighter than the Komnenoi ever did.

I wear these colours because he is my lord; I shall be faithful to him in all things, servant that I am to the throne of Caesar and to all of Rome, and adapt in any form that he so commands. But he has not earned our respect, and it is a great crime that any should blindly admire him before he does. You are a sniveling mite, latching on to any newcomer to power, and shoveling thus forth your meaningless praise unto a man that presides over this empire only for the circumstance of his birth by two far greater than he. Any new age under one so unproven would be an age filled to bursting with other bloodsuckers like yourself; may you gorge yourself on the favour of this emperor until he grows tired of you and you burst into oblivion.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Nonsense! The man comes to the throne with far more experience than any other emperor or empress we have ever had upon their ascension to the purple! Has he not ruled as Tsar in Kiev already for years?

Did you expect Valeria II to 'earn' your favor before you would cease uttering treasonous words in the hall she let you stand in? It is nonsense. Utter nonsense.

You besmirch my honour; from this day forth, we are enemies. Would that I could only duel you for your impudence and for your head.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
OOC: No, but y'see, this is actually a romantic comedy! or something

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

but aaxios is hell to pronounce so you slip an n in there

Couldn't you just put in a glottal stop?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If your honor is besmirched, mine is doubly so, dog. Your foolish barking reveals only that you are diseased and ready to be put down for the good of the rest of us. I would never deign to duel with one as lowly as you, lest a catch a disease myself, but I will have a wager: how many days until you are executed?

I should hope they are few, if only to escape from your prattling and simpering.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

OOC: next time we go after the Pope, assuming we've saved up the cash, can we hire most of the mercenaries first, so the Pope can't hire them? Or at least enough to tip the tide of battle.

We occupy different mercenary pools; the Pope has access to the hundred thousand or so Catholic mercenaries left in Europe, while we're still stuck with the Orthodox/Eastern mercenaries.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Rubix Squid posted:

Protecting the languages and cultures of your various subjects seems a good cause my Tsar. At the very least it would mollify fears that the upper echelons of imperial administration share the views of Senator Cyrahzax. I do imagine there are plenty of doukes who share his views on such things.

I doubt any individual -- even a doux -- would share in the perspective of worms and maggots, Senator Squid.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

A tragedy in the most comedic interpretation of the word, but alas; this was altogether not unexpected. Let us hope that our new liege does not march so brazenly to an early death as her predecessor.

And someone get rid of these pissants claiming to represent a certain chamber that should not be alluded to.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Now I'm not saying we should take command over the girl's upbringing and turn her into a puppet Basilissa, cementing the Senate's dominion over the Roman government, but the opportunity is most certainly there.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

#A return to the Yaroslavovich dynasty.

As much as I may abstractly despise these Russian usurpers, the fact must ultimately be laid bare that Branas is egregiously incompetent, and that he gained this position via unlawful rebellion on the part of those vile doukes. The former princess, regardless of her father's dynasty and practices, is still far more legitimate as a direct descendant of the last true Komnene empresses.

Besides; can you imagine just what an emperor puppeted to the doukes will eventually do to the Senate?

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

She has a player controlling her. Branas has to make do with the AI and a plot that frames him as an idiot.
If we were instead doing our best as Branas history would have been completely different.

I think it's for the best that we begin to fracture more as move closer to EU4.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Dibujante posted:

Yes. That, and anachronistic Japanese wokou pirates pillaging the mega-Somalian merchant republic that crops up in every game of RoI now.

Wait, really? I've not had much of a chance to play RoI, and I'm not sure whether to interpret this as literally "capitalist mega-Somalia" or just that you get absurdly powerful merchant republics in the Red Sea and Indian Ocean. I mean, the latter makes sense, but I don't know enough about any new things they might've put in that favours the formation of Somalian republics.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
This has gone too far. I can tolerate the Chinese conquest of Iberia; I can even tolerate their taking of Cilicia from us on the field of honourable battle. But Somalia? By Allah, no!

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Rincewind posted:

The provinces that were still Zoroastrian at the game start wound up as Manichean somehow, and then just quietly sat there unconverted for ages until this happened.

Obviously, this is a fine chance to create an extremely weak nation with absolutely absurd national ideas and religion bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

I hope the super neat Somalian republic is not just wiped out of history entirely. I was really hoping for an East African trading/colonizing power come EU4.

We can certainly hope that Somalia will be returned to something close to its original iteration once Rincewind fractures the Frontier's conquests. The mercantile ascension that characterised it doesn't even have to disappear, either; realistically speaking, the merchant families would just cede control of the Republic as a state once conquered and continue their money-making ventures in a more private, corporate-based venue. They would still hold so much power that the state would still be theirs de-facto by the time that the Frontier needs to consolidate its gains, with the Chinese granting them a large degree of political power and considerable positions in the government.

...But CK2 doesn't model the realistic outcome in that specific context, so it's ultimately left to Rincewind's interpretation.

• Locked thread