Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?

The Turks' cycle of revolts have likely drained their spirits of fighting brothers of the crescent moon. Let us further diminish their dreams by retaking Anatolia, then Jerusalem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Vote Old Romans

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

This is Crete 2.0 then? So, who are the new populists, and which one of their mothers did I gently caress (Trick Question: All of them).

I think I'll hold off on declaring where I stand until the next update

The Papists are the root of all our troubles. Even the ones we don't know about yet.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Talky posted:

Turkish spy

Is it not enough we must deal with the papists? Now we must deal with TURKS somehow being elected?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Rome submits to no one - not even a 'Caliph'. The Orthodox Church is a pillar of our society!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

The Venetian Offensive

The Empress is direct to make Venice a vassal of Byzantium.

Rogue0071 posted:

The Anatolia-so Directive

The Empress is directed to conquer all Turkish holdings in central Anatolia.

I also second these two directives, and would propose an additional directive of my own.

The Jerusalem Pilgrimage

Should the Empress find herself in a position to expand after having retaken central Anatolia, she should attempt to conquer the Mediterranean coastline to Jerusalem.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

If the rules of the Empress are binding (first three directives to 2 seconds from the opposing faction win), then we already have the trio as:

>Anatolia-so Directive: Reclaim central Anatolia
>Roman East: Reclaim Antioch
>Venetian Offensive: Vassalize Venice

This assumes that the Empress does not amend her request to 'the most popular three directives'. Other noted directives that have seconds from the necessary factions:

>Jerusalem Pilgrimage: Conquer central Anatolia, then coast of the Med to Jerusalem (2, fulfills requirements)
>Conquer Rome: Obvious (1)
>Preemptive: gently caress traitor douxes. (1)
>Cilician: Integrate the Douxess of Cilicia (1)

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 24, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

I will politely point out to my fellow Senators, that the Jerusalem Pilgrimage directive by definition necessitates the points put forth in both the Anatolia-so Directive and the Roman East Directive. Should the Empress allow for additional jockeying between Directives, this should be considered.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

For the sake of my fellow Senators who do not wish to backlog, here are the Directives we have thus proposed by the proper factions:

Proposed by the New Byzantines
Anatolia-So Directive: Conquer all Turkish holdings in central Anatolia.
Venetian Offensive: Vassalize the Republic of Venice.
Cilician Integration Initiative: Integrate the Doukessa of Cilicia into the Empire.
Nova Mediterranean: Claim all coastline around the Black Sea.

Proposed by the Old Romans
Roman East Directive: Restore the Pentarch of Antioch.
Internal Restoration Directive: Destroy all vassal republics, bishiphorics, and non-Roman vassals & replace them with Roman/Komnenos douxes.
Conquer Rome: See title.
Preemptive Strike: IMMEDIATELY revoke themes of all douxes leading or involved with factions opposing the crown.
The Jerusalem Pilgrimage: Conquer central Anatolia, and then conquer the Mediterranean coast down to Jerusalem.
Impotent Doux Directive: Castrate all the douxes.
The Cautious Proposal: Do not declare a war in the name of a directive the Empress doesn't think she can win.

The Senator reminds the Senate that unless the Empress decrees otherwise, only members of the New Byzantine and Old Roman factions may propose Directives. Whether that still extends to votes is up to her.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I am fully aware that my statement is not a formal proposal, and it currently is not on the floor. It was simply a friendly suggestion. Nothing wrong with that.

I was not attempting to imply impropriety, merely a statement to persons who are just now arriving onto the Senate floor.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Fun fact about Georgia that I didn't notice until it was too late to work into the narrative— Iouliana Komnene (the historian) was married to the last Christian king of Georgia, who wound up in my court after his exile! Too bad he's probably mega-dead by now.

Secret Directive: Restore one of his descendants to the throne of Georgia. Under the Byzantine Empire's rule.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Just to be clear, do only votes from the opposing faction (IE: New Byzantine on Old Roman proposals) count or just votes from the two factions?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Assuming I have done the math right, we technically have a bunch of ties. Roman East is clearly in first with 12 New Byzantines.

After that.... I think we have some ties. Anatolia-so Directive, Venetian Offensive, and Conquer Rome all seem to be tied with 4 votes. And just a vote behind are Preemptive Strike, Cautious Proposal, and Jerusalem Pilgrimage.

So I guess we're going west?

EDIT: This is assuming the Empress does not automatically combine Directives with similar aims to break tiebreakers; Anatolia-So and Jerusalem kinda start the same with the latter adding somethign else on.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I have to agree with this point. I believe certain members of the Senate may be putting the cart before the horse in suggesting we attempt to invade Rome now. There is so much we must do before we are ready for that. Once the Empire re-wins Anatolia, it is my opinion that it should prioritize a reclamation of Sicily, as is its right. Only after Sicily is back under imperial administration should we cast our eyes once more upon northern Italy.

And I must disagree. Once Anatolia is ours, the Levant should return to our administration. When we return to Sicily, it should be as an Empire ready to return to Pax Romana!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Vote Milvians

##Vote Phanariotes

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Sponsor the Pilgrimage Protection Act

Very similar to a proposal I gave last time. I approve.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

While I realize that the time to propose laws is not yet nigh, I would like to make several modest proposals in the interest of recognizing those that have helped Rome return to some shade of its glory, in the hope that Rome shall one day return to ascendancy.

>First, those of us that say we must strike at Iberia are looking at the wrong direction too soon! We have a law on the books demanding that we retake the Holy Land. I propose we go one step further: take Alexandria. It is a rich area, home to a seat of the Pentarchy of old. Restoring it would help reunite Christianity under our own terms, not that of the Pope-in-Exile.

>Second, while I am a devout Christian I make an unusual request of the Senate: The establishment of an independent Jewish state. Do not think I am so mad to propose we hand them Jerusalem, but have not the Jewish moneylenders granted us money in Rome's darkest hour? Have they not proved with their blood, sweat, and children that they are men such as we? We are Romans yea, but we are also Christian men - it is our duty to love thy neighbor. Let us take Ethiopia or Somalia, and make it a new Jewish state.

>And finally, when it becomes time to take Iberia - because it was once Roman, after all - would it not save time to have them travel by ship? We do so already, but what if we had more ships? Let us invest in our naval levies. Experience crafting ships, experience with the Greek fire should make us a formidable naval force should we choose to travel the world.

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 20, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

##Vote Phanariotes

We must continue to restore Rome until all accept that we have returned!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

http://i.imgur.com/qLFCXx0.png

I am in favour of an Old Roman/Milvian Coalition to secure our majority.. Needless to say, we will be working together restoring Jerusalem and Antioch. Our interests coincide.

Agreed. Send our diplomats if we must to forge claims on those provinces, we WILL restore Rome in all ways.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Propose the Jewish Reward Act
That the Jewish people, in reward for their financial backing in our Empire's darkest hours and in recognition of Rome's role in repressing them in the days of old, be granted an independent Kingdom or Republic in Africa or Iberia.

##Propose the Naval Reforms Act
Our navies have ruled the Mediterranean with the gift of Greek Fire, but technology may eventually threaten our advantage. Let us invest in naval advances, and ensure that we have sufficient ports!

(OOC: This is an attempt to ensure we're in a good position to colonize come EU4)

##Sponsor the Cosmopolitan Empire Act
Let all people - not just the Greeks, but the Armenians, Italians, Turks, and all others - be citizens of Rome.

##Sponsor the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 23, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

DentedLamp posted:

If we conquer a portion of Persia/something near Basra, we'll be in an excellent position to colonise Africa and Asia; which, quite frankly, seems far more historically plausible than Eastern Rome colonising the New World. And even so, we might be in a position to at least colonize portions of the Americas, if we pursue a campaign of African expansion heavily enough.

We could even just get a port on the Red Sea, which should eventually suffice for colonisation, albeit at the cost of aggravating the Somalian Lion.

Noted, changed the proposal.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, this is sufficiently cool I'd mod it in (especially since we literally don't have access to any Holy Orders right now, since you need to hold Jerusalem to get the only Orthodox one in-game).

Does that mean we can get it without a vote?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

##Support the Valerian Order Establishment Act

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

It says everything I could possibly need to that the papist heretics have jumped on to support your bill with such fervor, senator. I trust everyone else will take note.

In his defense, I used the wrong icon.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

My fellow Senators! I see my Jewish Reward Act has brought forth much discussion! Some of it quite... expected, but I am pleased to see some support for it!

First, let me make things plain. I am not, nor have I ever advocated, giving the land of Palestine to the Jews. Handing the land of Christ over to anyone is simply unacceptable, especially given whose hands in which it currently resides.

But to those who object on religious grounds, I ask you this - Was Jesus not a Jew? Did he not preach to love thy neighbor? Did he not spurn the image of Caesar himself and instead off spiritual reward to any who followed him, regardless of blood or upbringing?

One last question: Did not the Romans repress the followers of God for the longest of times, and did not fully accept Christ until Justinian?

The Jewish people have suffered by our hand, and by many others. By reestablishing a Jewish successor state, a state whose borders are beyond that of Rome, we may finally atone for our sins.

To my fellow Old Romans and others, I remind you that in our darkest hour the Varangians might have supplied swords and shields, but who paid for them when we could not? Who ensured that we, time and time again, had the money to survive the Turkish invasions?! Who ensured that it was not bankruptcy that ensured that the Pope-In-Exile remained the dominant figure in Christendom? Who did as Christ did, and when asked for help in our most dire hour, gave it? I say it was the JEWS!

Even if you do not believe that we owe the Jews a debt of blood, we owe them a debt of honor that repaying gold (with interest) alone cannot repay. Let them have a New Israel in Africa, let them have it as a homeland, and let them safe pilgrimage into the Holy Land.

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So, that is your plan? Impose heathen rule on heathens, then leave? It is unrighteous. It is ungodly. It is unholy! Not only that, but is an insult to the men you want to honor. I can see it now: "Thank you, O Romans, for this barren patch of Africa, for these hordes of resentful new subjects, and for putting us near such wonderful natives!" Fool. The overthrow of these Jews would be inevitable without our support, and I will not see Christian lives wasted on blasphemers!

As for you, Qutuzid, the Patriarch is subject to the Emperor. They all are. The Orthodox Church is an instrument of Imperial authority, and the Emperor has say in all Church matters. You bring up the Caliphate, and that is the finest example of the kind of empire we should be. The Arabs molded all the people the conquered in their image, and their combination of religion and state led to one of the most powerful realms that ever exited! Their sins and blasphemies destroyed them, but not before they destroyed Persia and our southern provinces. I see them as a lesson from God. Models in all but faith.

Did we not do the same while we worshiped the old gods? Did we not claim that it was right to do so for Rome? We had to be enlightened by God's grace, and so the Jews may have their throw if this is passed. Just as the Jews came to our aid, so we should to theirs to ensure they are not harmed by the entrenched Muslims.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, I'm confused, aren't Jews those fellows with all the money that killed Jesus? Why would you want people that are already rich and have a proven record of killing messiahs to rule our lands? I though both Jesus and Mohammed had some firm words about them for not updating their faith?

Also I once offered a Jew some oysters and they said it was against their religion to eat it. I don't see why we would put up with people that hate shellfish.

On the other hand, my esteemed second has just informed me that it not only the state that has taken loans from these aforementioned moneylenders. Can't we then just give them another merchant republic? Pick the one making the least money and toss a Jew in there instead?

OOC: The way gifting a republic works, the families generated are based on teh ethnicity/religion of the Lord Mayor who was granted the Duchy. Meaning we need a Jew Lord Mayor prior to this.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

OOC: Easily done if you win territory in a Holy War, where you can install a character of your choice as a Mayor then grant him titles.

OOC: Which is why Jewish Reward Act could key off a Holy War outside the 'de jure' Roman borders (or we just make it a vassal state come EU4).

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Yeah, it'd be cool if we did the JRA that if they're still around come EU4 that they're a vassal state.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Ah, my proposals have failed. Until next time!

OOC: I didn't intend to be divisive or anything with the 'make a Jewish state' proposal. I just thought it would be cool for there to be a nation with the Jewish religion survive CK2 since Khazaria never does.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

OOC: Is it bad I can imagine a disgruntled Senator becoming an adventurer to 'restore the Kingdom of Carthage'?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

TheMcD posted:

This senate has some kooky loving folks in it, that's for sure. And considering that the latest CK2 patch added a chance that a kinsman that was told he wasn't ready for a title ends up becoming an adventurer with a claim on one of your titles, it wouldn't be too far-fetched if some senators get told "we're not going after Carthage, sod off" and then they run out and raise an army three times the imperial army's size.

OOC: Doesn't help that last patch screwed with a lot of sizes, though it would be entertaining as hell.

Carthage: The Fourth Rome (now run by Hellenists)!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Long live the Empress! It is only a matter of time before the world recognizes that Rome has returned!

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

j00rBuDdY posted:

You should be focusing your energies on more important things LIKE THE ELIMINATION OF THE DOUKES.

Admirable goal, but stopping doukes from holding large tracts of land is a temporary measure. They still hold power. To eliminate their POWER, while making them feel empowered.... it will require them to accept a change in the status quo. That could take decades, centuries. It's a long term project...

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

So was assigning Caesar a mistake, or....

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Oh my! Our new Emperor has inherited quite the land! I pray that his reign be long and glorious!

#Propose The Pent-Lingual Literacy Act

The Tri-Lingual Literacy Act ensured that Byzantium was the epicenter of scientific discovery during our return to glory and power. With the new swaths of land and in honor of our Emperor's lineage, I propose that the original act be amended to add Russian and Ukrainian to the original three.

OOC: I know Ukrainian does not appear as a canonical culture in CK2 and doesn't appear in imported EU4 games. Given that the land was ruled by Greeks and Mongols for a while, I would assume that some cultural diversion would have occurred.

#Propose The Cultural Preservation Act

We are a nation of many peoples and histories. While we are one under the Roman purple, we must not lose sight of what makes us Greek, Russian, or even Armenian or Turk! Let us try to foster acceptance amongst those of us who are not Greek or Russian.

OOC: This is an attempt to get us multiple accepted/primary cultures while not doing questionable ethnic stuff.

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 17, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

DentedLamp posted:

We occupy different mercenary pools; the Pope has access to the hundred thousand or so Catholic mercenaries left in Europe, while we're still stuck with the Orthodox/Eastern mercenaries.

Can we time it so that the mercs are busy or can we not see them?

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

EDIT: Redid vote post, scroll down

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2014

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

My new Emperor,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this missive to you today. Many in the Senate perceive you a patsy, a puppet of the Douxes! I have heard things about you, that you are not always so wise to believe what others tell you, and you must have heard rumors in your discussions with the servants during the war.

I conditionally vote that I like you, but I urge you to shore up your standing amongst the Senate by taking the following steps:

1) Marry the former Empress. You are not married, and she is approaching adulthood. It would stop those of us who believe she would have been an excellent Empress from throwing our support behind her in the event of war.
2) Eliminate the Doux of Paphlagonia at all costs. He is a deceiver, sir. A tyrant in the making. He has proven willing to take up arms against an Emperor to install his favored candidate, what is to say his next is not himself!
3) Revoke the "Independence" of our breakaway states as soon as possible. Even you must know you did not simply 'grant' them independence.

These three steps would - in this Senator's opinion - bolster your claim and the reality that you are the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

How better to support the cause of Unitas than to support the puppet of would-be feudal vassals who gave away a third of our realm to armed rebels?

Your obsession with race blinds you to the very concepts you claim to espouse-- you once argued at great length about the Roman empire shifting with the times-- becoming Greek, in time of the Greeks.

I concur with you that we ought have one culture and be one people-- but I do not understand at what point that became "yay, Greeks!" over every other concern for you. You have thrown away every principle you ever had to support the whims of the doukes all on the basis of the language they speak and the cuisine they enjoy, and we will not forget you when our Tsaritsa returns to the throne.

He seems like a kind man, it is unfortunate that he's currently a Doux patsy. If he cannot prove to wrestle himself free, perhaps she should return...

• Locked thread