Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Most I'd say to toss on the Chi-Ro flag is a laurel wreath around it and maybe give it a fancy gold border.

As for the Seljuks, you can fight them offensively or defensively. Offensively will probably need more troops than we currently have and require the assistance of our German allies. If you can close off the border between our lands and theirs near you'll have a smaller border to worry about. Defensively will be trying to funnel them onto Anatolia and pick off smaller parties where you can. Main armies seem to be located to the East, so try and pick off what you can in the former Rum while they march westward. Do we have any idea on their naval strength? Because I'm a tad wary of Cyprus' defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

All right might as well put words into pictures:

New flag idea. Chi-Rho with laurel crown, gold border. Though I'm liking that labarum idea too, maybe throw that on?

As for our enemy:

Operation Rip-n-Tear, we get the Germans to hop on over for the war as we try to cover the northern areas, smashing into any armies on Anatolia and securing the border before facing the brunt of the Seljuk armies alongside the Germans. Wildcard being any silly Crusades called for Jerusalem or somewhere else.

Operation Anatolian-Funnel, pick off the smaller armies and trap the main Seljuk forces on Anatolia, surrounding them and wearing them down, making sure they don't try and cross the sea to Constantinople. German assistance appreciated but not as necessary, but gotta watch out for them starting other wars.

Need to make sure they don't try any tricks with naval strategies in either case, so keep on the lookout for their ships.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Bah, the laurels are a sign of victory! And with the Chi-Rho there it's victory for Jesus! You want to win victories for Jesus, don't you?

Then vote for D. For Jesus. For Rome. :hist101:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Old Romans

A. is the best choice. We are going to be low on troops even if we manage to pull of a victory (which is more than just difficult, it's madness) and need to think about what further conflict will do to our reserves, especially in regards to treasury alongside our manpower. How can we reclaim the Eternal City if our armies have vanished? How can we reclaim the rest of Anatolia without troops sufficient to do so? How can we, as the Byzantines may point out, build up our nation and expand strategically without the resources to do so? I mean, Bulgaria broke our northern border, we still need to get that mess solved.

I propose that we cede the province and focus on restoring our reserves, and build up as much as we can. If the opportunity comes we can take some smaller states to gain some more ground. Especially profitable ones that were part of the glorious old Rome, like say Alexandria (assuming the Germans and their Pope don't call for another Crusade for it first), should be high-priority targets. Pretty borders can come only through a powerful Empire. And lastly, whenever possible, screw with the Saimids indirectly. Support revolts, pretenders, whatever mayhem necessary to disrupt their control.

Let's see, anything else... ah, one last thing. Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam. :ssh:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Vote for Old Romans

Ladies. Gentlemen. Romans, Byzantines, God-fearing Greeks, Imperial rear end-Kissers, and whatever other strange groups you folks claim to be.

We are an EMPIRE. An Empire does not sit around content with its current territory. An Empire expands, to bring our glory far and wide. Our Empire NEEDS expansion. One goal is to reclaim the Eternal City, even if none among this generation will see the Emperor sit in Rome once again. From there we will take the old lands, until our borders stretch from the Atlantic to the Holy Land. But none of this can be accomplished without armies to support it, and no army can stand without the loyal population to make it grow, and no loyal population can come without the resources, cities, farms, reforms, and so forth that inspire it and let it thrive.

But I say this. We will not STOP when we restore the old borders. We will continue our growth, until our Empire stretches from the Baltic to the source of the Nile, from the islands beyond the Pillars of Heracles to Persia and the lands beyond it. Friends, I see a map and want to paint it purple.

Except Carthage. The only color that should be there is the blackened color of ash. Carthago delenda est!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

While certain senators are caught up in religious arguments or further faction splits under the guise of coalitions, I would like to bring up a few items of note:

Currently we are very close to sharing a border with the Empire the Germans hold on to, and note how it has claimed territory to the far north in Norway. Future expansion west must take them into account, and especially any alliances they may have (or any enemies; let us not look a gift horse in the mouth if they can prove themselves useful in reclaiming Rome). There is no guarantee they will keep these holdings in the long term any more than the Genoese will hold the Holy Land, but they are things we should prepare for.

These Mongols are a benefit to us in the short term, decimating the Seljuk armies in Persia. This means we have a weaker Sultan to face in the near future; but we should not squander this opportunity and let him regain strength. Should the hordes turn their attention towards more pleasant western pastures, they are an enemy we should be wary of. They devoured the whole of Persia and their northern brethren look poised to chow down on the Russians. Ignore them and we will face only ruin.

But a different take on the Mongols, these pagan armies, is that could provide a far greater opportunity than any wars could. As some have noted, conversion of their leaders to the true faith will provide us potential allies. Perhaps some of you have heard the letter from Prester John, Christian ruler in pagan lands just beyond our reach? These Mongols may not be the Christian host come to decimate our foes... but they could be.

So long as they're no Carthage-lovers. Carthago delenda est!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

DentedLamp posted:

This chaos of discourse is meandering, irksome; make not the politics of we Byzantines any more byzantine than they must be, divisive coalitionists.

Grab some snacks, and watch the coalitions and splinter factions argue however they want. If anything, it helps know who will push for what come next vote. Figure out potential opposition and that sort of thing. I just hope one of them remembers to take Senator Scruffles for his walksies, lest there be a repeat of the Week of Stench.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well well, more supposed factions rear their heads. It seems that one will always have to deal with the sorts of fools. No matter, continuing this tradition once again,

##Vote Old Romans
I see a map of nations and want but one name stretched across its borders: Basileia Rhomaion!

As such, it stands to reason that I should show at least some lip service to the intra-party factions.

##Vote Expansionists

Glory to Rome! An Empire that rules all lands in creation!

##Vote New Marians

Glory to Rome! An Empire that rules with might!

##Vote Phanariotes

Glory to Rome! An Empire that rules with wisdom!

Edit: Well nuts, showed up too late. Next time perhaps I'll have less History papers to write. :eng99:

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 12, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Empress Valeria I could kiss you if it weren't against several kinds of laws and teachings of the church. Gaining the southern half of Italy, sharing a border within walking distance of the Eternal City itself, truly a cause for celebration. Bring out some proper Italian wines!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

mageofthesands posted:

"Bichri"? What kind of name is "Bichri"? Now Traianos. That's a fine name. The Emperor wears it well.

The name sounds familiar, I believe it's some kind of fish from the Nile. Whether or not this means the Sultan is actually some sort of terrifying Egyptian fish-man remains to be seen. More to the point, Rome has Rome once again! And how appropriate its reconquest was, with not a drop of blood spilled in the Eternal City. And our late Empress regaining significant regions elsewhere and doing so much for the Empire, surely she has found peace and reward in heaven a thousand times what she gained on Earth. To the new Emperor! May he rule with the late Empress' legacy guiding him.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

##Vote Old Romans

Of course, continue with the tradition of supporting the Old Romans.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

##Sponsor the Next Stop, Africa Act

With emphasis on Alexandria as the highest priority, given the riches and history it has with the Empire. My position on Tunis is burning a certain port city to ash with our ships' war fire. Rest of it can stay.

##Sponsor The Imperial Army Act

Because a strong Empire needs a strong army to support it, and loyal citizens to support that army. Douxes have shown their tenuous loyalty time and again, better to quench power where possible.

##Sponsor the Expansion of Orthodoxy Act

Schism mending and Empire restoring are main goals, so this can kill two birds with one stone.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

OOC: Is it bad I can imagine a disgruntled Senator becoming an adventurer to 'restore the Kingdom of Carthage'?

Any Senator that does that is a traitor to the Empire! Carthago delenda est! :argh:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Valeria II doesn't sleep. She waits.
Valeria II can cut a hot knife with butter.
When the Devil goes to sleep at night, he checks under the bed for Valeria II.

But in seriousness, our Empress looks to be an incredible leader, and such a fortunate one too. Let's pray that good fortune keeps up.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Valeria II is truly a gift from God Himself.
Three cheers for Valeria, the Brave! For Valeria, the Saint! For Valeria, the Victorious!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

*leans forward in her seat and places her face between both palms, shaking it*

So let me get this straight.

The old Pope gathered drat near every Catholic left that could so much as wield a weapon and managed to get all of them in Rome without any real warning.

Our late old Empress was forced to hand over territory to the Mongols without actually managing to fight them.

Our late young Empress had to have the routine Doux-smashing but was assassinated during her hunting trip.

And now people are flocking, to use a French phrase, en-masse to support the Black Chamber ITSELF.

:cripes:

I'd ask for justice but I'd probably find myself being given justice "from a certain point of view."

I'd ask for a drink but I'd probably get what the Germans call a "Gift" instead.

I'd ask for sanity but I'd probably be told that the inmates gained control of the asylum.

So I ask for this: caution. You don't have to be sane to be cautious. You just have to be aware of the fact that these are dangerous times. Let us focus on building up the Empire and letting things settle down before we lose ANOTHER Empress in the process.

A final thing, if I see any of you folks claiming support for the Black Chamber gathering under a banner with an axe tied to a bundle of sticks, don't be surprised is some crazed, frothing mad woman bolts down there with a cheirosiphon and demonstrates the true meaning of the word "kindling."

(OOC: "Undesirables?" Really? Let us at LEAST wait until we get to the late 18th century before we start this...)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Amnistar posted:

Unfortunately once we get into EUIV the ability to do such things becomes almost non-existant within classic gameplay.

And we are ALL the better for it. Leave that poo poo in Vicky and above. :colbert:

Raserys posted:

And what is wrong with the fasces? It is a proud symbol of Roman authority, I doubt anyone could somehow defile the symbol in the way I believe you suggest.

Foresight. Re-appropriating such a symbol of power and authority for a party that believes itself in league with those above the Emperor or Empress? That's more than just presumptuous. That's treason-talk. Doux-talk. Have you noticed all those little rebellions? Have you ever thought about WHY they happened? Because the Douxes thought they could win. They thought they had more authority, moral or lawful, than the ruler of the Empire.

Now where is that cheirosiphon...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well, the dynasty ends, but Rome lives on, stronger than ever. And the Empress got two Popes on her kill card, good on her.

How many Douxes you think will rise up this time for their routine event? I'm betting at least a dozen.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Well drat. I like this guy already!

It's sad to see the old standard gone, but it seems we must march on for the Romes.

As for parties...

White is a nice color.

On that note I ##Propose the Military Expansion Act.

Let's face it, we're going to be fighting the usual uprisings soon. So it would be smart to make sure that our forces are properly equipped, supported, funded, call it what you will. We should not, however, simply throw money at the problem and make every city build new barracks, recruitment centers, stables, whatever. We need focused military buildup at key points throughout the Empire, places where both loyalty is high and forces can be effectively called upon. A strong, dependable military will be able to both protect the Empire from invasion and be ready to strike should time come to invade someone again.

Now I just need to return that cheirosiphon...

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Jesus help me, what have we gotten ourselves into...

I just get back from a family meeting back in Lesbos over mom being caught in the Inn explosion, and I return to the Senate informed that not only has the late Emperor-Tsar's kid been kicked out but a puppet Emperor has been set up in her place.

The poor girl now lacks much in the way of restoring herself to the throne, and both the puppet and the puppet's master couldn't see conspiracy if the Black Chamber supporters started shouting it in their faces, as they're want to do.

(OOC: Oh god the poor intrigue score on the both of them, I don't want to start going through Emperors like it's an Imperial bargain sale. Even Dobrava's is laughable, though at least she has the excuse of being a 13 year old kid.)

I will say this in front of the entire senate, as a descendant of one of the founding members of the Old Romans and as the daughter of one of the old regime's first Varangian supporters: I abstain from giving my support to either Yaroslavovich or Branas claimants. If you need me I'll be busy devising plans for taking back Rome and the Republics.

(OOC: This is going to be a glorious mess. :munch:)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

1) Marry the former Empress. You are not married, and she is approaching adulthood. It would stop those of us who believe she would have been an excellent Empress from throwing our support behind her in the event of war.

While I still refuse to show support towards either claimant, I must give credit to a good idea when I see it. Marriage to the former Empress will ensure a better foundation to the new regime, so I recommend that those who wish to support the new Branas dynasty swallow their pride and any anger towards the Yaroslavovich family and have him ask for Dobrava's hand in marriage. The girl is only 3 years away from adulthood anyway, and by then I should hope that we have something resembling a sense of stability. As for Helias of Paphlagonia, the puppetmaster, I recommend you not interfere with this proposal even if it means losing a degree of grip on your puppet's strings.

Now back to planning the invasion of Abkhazia...

(OOC: I just noticed both Dobrava and and Komitas are exceptionally tall. That kind of amuses me. If some last bits of Basillike's stats rub off on Dobrava she could reasonably compliment Komitas too, stat-wise. Well, except intrigue. Neither could see a plot coming if conspirators started shouting it from the rooftops...)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

Well I don't care what people say, I like our Emperor :colbert: .

He protected Alexandria from the Shia, he removed Somali influence from our shore (I hope my letters to him played into this), he removed the unsustainable Kiev from our Empire... perhaps letting Trebizond go was a mistake, but he is a man that rules from popular will.

....Although he could have released the Baltic provinces too. ...Ugh, does that look ugly.

Yes, I am quite sure Komitas the Wicked is an admirable and upstanding example of a proper Roman Emperor. And certainly not a puppet of a Doux.

All this lost territory... ugh, back to the drawing board on Battle Plans...

(OOC: drat, what drove it to that nickname? Possession? Kinslayer? Was his Piety THAT bad?)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Messengers from Cathay? Coming all the way to Constantinople itself? Now this is an interesting tale! Oh I had heard rumors of an odd man imprisoned a while back, but to think this man was such a fellow... if possible has anyone managed to chat with him on military technology? I had heard further rumors of new Black Powder weapons from the east that would be fantastic additions to our armies and especially complimenting our navy's Sea Fire...

AdventFalls posted:

I am AdventFalls, scion of the Old Romans, member of the Phanariote Committee. WHAT SAY YOU?

I say this is a fine speech, and drives a fine point home! Senators, to Rome! May the Empire last a thousand more years!

(OOC: Oh poo poo there're Ming borders near Europe! It's just like some of my craziest EU3 playthroughs, with them abusing the old Horde system. I may see Confucians in Russia once again!)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

In the immortal words of the glorious Saint Valeria II, "gently caress the Pope."

Rincewind posted:

Yeah. We haven't seen the final outcome of the advance of the Ming Frontier Army yet, but the result definitely won't just be a big blob stretching from China to Portugal or anything.

Oooh, that sounds like revolts. :allears:

Also Manicheans? How... how did they manage to survive for so long? I've had a bizarre game where the Seljuks ended up Zoroastrian but that was back in the 11th Century. This is... what?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

There were revolts! :D

...Not enough revolts, though. drat it. :ohdear:

Grizzwold posted:

That is some bad luck with combat events. Are we going to have to switch dynasties again? If so, I would love to see the fits some of our senators are going to be having.

In other news, I motion that we seize Iceland to get as far away from those crazy Ming as possible. :derp:

Iceland? We ain't stopping at Iceland, it's Vinland or bust if things come to that!

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

It's almost sad to see it all end, but what a ride the CK2 playthrough's been. Here's hoping EU4 is just as crazy!

Rincewind posted:

For some reason, even with the extra info turned on, her true killer didn't show up in her tooltip. It was pretty weird! Gabrielia must have become a kinslayer somehow, though. Historians probably believe she did it, but I guess the truth is lost forever. 2spooky..........

Tonight on Ancient Aliens, is it possible that Aliens orchestrated the death of a Byzantine Empress in a sinister plot to weaken the Empire against the coming Ming invasion?

EDIT: Well, that edit solves that mys- wait... so, the Doukessa of Alexandria killed her, and she has the Lunatic trait? That... somehow just raises further questions. :tinfoil:

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

It might come as no surprise given this Senator's ancestry, but I ##Vote for Rome as the title of our Empire. But I say this not as a pretense of merely being a new face for a truly ancient Regime, but as something that honors its past by living up to ideals that the old chant of Senatus Populusque Romanus exemplified. Our prince has done well to reaffirm these ideals by stating himself as a first among equals. But it seems like always, there will be people unhappy about the current Emperor or Empress for a number of reasons, to say nothing of the Douxes. Therefore, I ##Propose the Pax Romana Act, that while we rule we rule in an Imperial peace, with the laws of Rome codifying themselves into a reasonable system for everyone, from the Emperor to the senate to every doux to even the peasants, to voice their grievances without rising up into open revolt.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Rincewind posted:

In addition to our IC votes about the future, there's also OOC stuff to think about for the conversion.

So... flagchat!

I like making flags, so I'm just making a lot of 'em myself, but here are some countries that could really use flags:

Transoxiana
Somalia (the union tag for the little Somalia successor states)
"Abyssinia" (the largest of the Somali successor states— its leaders are Somali culture, but it has large Ethiopian and Nubian minorities)
"Austria" (one of the Ming revolter states— it rebelled against the main Ming Frontier, but it's still Sunni with a Hui culture ruler)
Mauritania
The Gauhar Ayin Empire
Plus just a ton of flags for all the little Middle Eastern states that revolted away from the Ming, but especially the Seljuks

:siren:Oh poo poo flagchat status is green!:siren:

Well, I threw together something for a potential Ming Revolter state or even Hungary if nobody's opposed to switching its flag around.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

While everyone's all busy with the name vote, got another flag since :siren:Flagchat status is still green.:siren:

This time, a rough idea for Transoxiana. Since it's a Persian state following Manichaeism of all things, symbols should reflect it. Manichaeism isn't "just" a Zoroastrian heresy, it's a bizarre Gnostic hybrid belief system that mixes more Gnostic-ish Crhistianity, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, and even a bit of Hinduism into one big pile. One of its last main OTL centers was way over in western China, of all places. So I think the flag's symbols should reflect that heritage. The Simurgh is right from its CK2 flag, representing the Persians who make up the majority of the state, along with its Zoroastrian roots. The Dharmacakra contrasting the Gnostic cross symbolize the links Manichaeism has to eastern and western beliefs, and the torches representing both liberation and the light of wisdom. All of this centered around a circle, representing the sun or something.

Or it could all just be an enraged Lego person's head. Whichever works better.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Sparq posted:

The smile represents the nascent state's optimism.

Oh I needed a good laugh, thanks. :mmmhmm:

If it makes it to any possible Vicky games I would insist on this being the Democracy or even Communist flag.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Good to hear Rome won the vote for our title. In regards to out next vote, I will ##vote A since it seems to be the best solution.

----------

On a completely different note 'nother flag! With 75% less Lego figure head!

This time for good 'ol Somalia.

A tad simplistic, but should fit in well enough. The waves in the center represent its seafaring merchant traditions, with the star in the center hinting at its prestigious title. The intertwined rope knots on the sides represent the reunification of Somalia, lands being "tied" back together.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Would some flags turn that frown upside down?

"Abyssinia" idea, the "star" and crescent representing its Muslim Somali rulers, but the star itself representing the same thing it does for the current OTL Ethiopia flag, diversity, unity, and prosperity. The stylized white bird with the blue background represents freedom, with the symbols inside it meaning the leaders will carry their people to freedom.

New Seljuks idea, the twin-headed bird ripped right from the dynasty's wiki article calling forth their historical roots, star and crescent in the center representing Islam as the "heart" of the Seljuk leaders. Red on black for its revolt against the Ming and because it looks cool.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

As the Ming Empire rose to power in East Asia, driving out the Mongols and securing the Silk Road trade, many have taken one of three paths in their relations with the Chinese.

The first path is the Path of Submission and Tribute. Tibet, Korea, the Dai Viet dynasty, the Manchus, the peoples of Zunghar, the Japanese Emperor, and the defeated Mongols have sworn allegiance to the Ming Empire, becoming vassals and/or allies of the Ming and sharing in the wealth, high degree of learning, and prosperity. Because of the secure Silk Road, the people of Zunghar have become excellent merchants and traders, following the model of other successful states like the late Somali Republic and Malacca. The Japanese Emperor is the odd man out in that while reclaiming himself as the sovereign of Japan, the northern Daimyo are opposed to his ascent and have effectively broken off and cut the island nation into two, the southern half ruled by the Emperor and allied to the Ming and the northern half militarized, isolationist, and looking to bring the Emperor back down to a figurehead.

(Mechanically: Ming China has eaten some parts of Mongolia, southern Manchuria, northern Indochina, a province or two of eastern Tibet, and has vassalized everyone mentioned save the Japanese Empire, who are allied with the Ming. The Xinjiang region is home to a Merchant Republic that has ideas related to the Silk Road trade. Most Daimyo have moved north, taking Hokkaido and Sakhalin, with Imperial Japan controlling the southern half up to Kyoto. No Shogunate system is in place.)

The second path is the Path of Defiance. For many reasons, these nations have declared themselves strictly opposed to Chinese, and while not all are allies share a common perceived enemy. The main power is the Kingdom of the Thunder Dragon, Bhutan, controlling territory from its mountain fortress capital in the Himalayas to the the shores of the bay of Bengal, with allied states to the South-East. The secondary power is the realm of the great Pirate King, sarcastically referred to by the Chinese and their allies as the "Wokou Emperor," taking up base in Taiwan and controlling territory from the Ryukyu Islands to the northern Philippines, and eyes on uniting the island nations of South-East Asia against China. The third power of defiance is the Malacca Republic, taking notes from their Somali trading partners on the opposite side of India and using their wealth gained from trade to secure their borders against Chinese interference, lest they end up like Somalia did, and while not a friend to the nations of the Bhutanese alliance or especially not the Wokou "Empire" will side with them over the Ming any day.

(Mechanically: Bhutan controls territory like mentioned, taking pieces out of what would be Bengal and having HRE-ish alliances with the states up to those bordering Dai Viet, Bhutan being the Austria of the group with related ideas. Can form a united nation across Indochina if enough Reforms pass like the HRE. Taiwan is colonized and either a Ryukyuan or new "Wokou" culture nation would have territory like what's mentioned, heavily Navy-focused National Ideas and and able to colonize, with missions concerned over things like taking Hong Kong, conquering/colonizing some island nations/territories, generally pissing off China, etc. Malacca becomes the Somalia of the East [minus the fracturing], Merchant Republic, ideas centered on trade and keeping out China and so forth.)

The final path is the Path of Flight. Unwilling to surrender to Ming Authority but unable to successfully resist them, they have fled, looking for better lives in lands abroad. Mongols who would not accept submission fled as far south as possible with Polynesian sailors, coming upon the Islands of the Great Birds, and after initial conflict with the native inhabitants have settled into a sense of stability, but fiercely determined to keep their independence. Japanese Buddhists leaving the conflict between the Emperor and the viciously militant Daimyo traveled east, following along the Kuroshio Current to a new continent, becoming a one of the tribes of this New World. Their Buddhist teachings have influenced some of the neighboring tribes, the rice crops they brought over have been grown successfully in some regions and even become a favorite crop among some western Mexica people, and the few cannons smuggled from the Chinese have drastically changed the face of the larger powers in the New World, even traveling to a southern land almost unknown to them.

(Mechanically: A couple Mongol and/or Maori-Mongol hybrid culture provinces in New Zealand, nation is HELLA defensive. Should be able to colonize the rest of New Zealand and possibly Australia. If not Maori-Mongol hybrid then a Maori nation on the opposite part of New Zealand as a rival, possibly? For the Buddhist Nihon tribe they'd operate like a slightly beefed up OPM Native American tribe starting in the West coast, with a Rice as their starting resource. The closest tribes will either have Buddhist rulers or Buddhist subjects. Rice will also be found in some parts of the Mississippi and in one western Aztec province. Aztecs, Zapotec, Maya, and Inca are High American tech group but not the giant CK2 import Empires. Other nations in Siberia, maybe?)

StrifeHira fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 30, 2014

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

AdventFalls posted:

No, I totally get that - I remember Rince saying that they'd work like HOI occupied territories.

But the flipside is that you have to balance the Ming having achieved that level of power with Asian nations that are viable and fun to play AND with the Goon's desires to see non-historical nations (Ainu, powerful Korea, Ryuku) have a shot or be in a position of power. Having Ming not be overextended or in a position of weakness at EU4's start means there's less room for other nations in the region to have a chance.

EDIT: Also when I'm talking about 'an empire that big', remember that it's probable that off-screen territory might've been directly administered by the Ming due to proximity.

That's why I thought trying to make some states vassals or allies of the Ming and others bitter enemies of them would be a good option. Ming can keep its OTL territory with a few extra provinces and have some vassals thrown in there, but other nations should get comparable tech, poor relations, and be able to pose a challenge to any expansionist ambitions. Especially for the Asian sea powers, since I'm picturing the Ming Empire still being very land-based and lacking in naval prowess (Korea/Japan/Dai Viet forces would be the functional "Ming Navy", so to speak, but vassals can be released and alliances can be broken). Plenty of uncored territory would also keep them pretty busy, I like that idea too.

Nevermind me just wanting a crazy, expansionist Japanese/Ryukyuan/Wokou Pirate Empire, the opportunities with such a thing would be fantastic.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

As much fun as stuff like the Ainu Merchant Republic and the crazy zealous Thailand Kingdom seem, I kinda would like a larger Ming and God knows I couldn't resist making DS9 jokes as long as Japan-Korea is around. So, going with option A. It has a tough but not unreasonable Ming China and that Japan sounds like it'd at the very least be fun to watch.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, I guess it goes without saying that in addition to not being the "Roman Empire" you get by converting the restored Empire over from CK2, we also are certainly not the "Byzantine Empire" of the time period either. We're a tougher, more hardened, but also more progressive state than the OTL Byzantium was, with our own ideas and legacy. We're more like... honestly, the Ottoman Empire than we are like the "Byzantine" or "Roman" Empires as they're most well known. And I'd say that's a good thing, because look what it got us; merchant republics, the Tri-Lingual Literacy Act, the Valerian Order, etc.

Speaking of the Valerian Order, I shall now give a detailed ten page essay on why, due to the survival of Greek Fire, the state's existence as a monastic military order, and our legacy of Warrior Empresses and such, they should get a unique idea or something involving a sort of Adepta Sororitas expy.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Or one could just go with something simple, like "Modern" or "Advanced." :v:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

OK, so, something a tad unrelated to the ongoing vote but related to the LP as a whole. Specifically the Somali-built canal in the Sinai. While something on the scale of the Suez would be pretty ASB-y even for this LP, a canal system built in the Middle Ages isn't as far off as one might think. In fact, there's a system that linked the Red Sea and Mediterranean a significant period before the start of the LP. I'm talking about the Canal of the Pharaohs, linking the Red Sea not only to the Mediterranean, but the Nile as well. This was a Ptolemaic canal, and something in use up to the 8th century. Given that the first real hint at the Somali Republic having trade posts in the Mediterranean (the Nile Delta, to be specific) was in the 13th century here, perhaps it's not too unreasonable that they restored the canal or even improved on the system and they and anyone in control of that portion of Egypt would continue to do so for sheer practicality's sake. It would mean having to alter any proposed editing of canal systems in EU4, but it's a decent and at least historically viable and sensible option.

Apologies if someone has brought this up already, couldn't personally recall it and didn't find anything in double checking the updates, but if I missed something then I guess this can serve as a reminder.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Ah drat, fair enough then!

Though that does sound like a rather intriguing idea, on somehow modding it to allow only smaller ships through. Don't see how it would be possible as-is, but perhaps Wealth of Nations's canal systems could change things up enough to set that as a moddable option. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

##create the Monternos Party

The Monternos Party was founded as a party dedicated to making sure the Roman Empire of the 15th century and beyond was not a Rome stuck in the past, but a Rome looking to the future. A "modern" Rome. As such they support and propose anything that can be used to update the current state of Rome, looking both to nations that have gained a technological edge as inspiration and to possible applications of existing technology within the state. New advances in warfare, seafaring, science, theology, and so forth are all supported by the Monternos Party.

In-game: They focus on upping the tech levels as much as possible, to the possible detriment of the economy. Factories are high priorities when available. Military expansion is limited to what's most opportunistic/provides some reasonable long-term benefit, while trade is encouraged and exploration/colonization is prioritized. Military modernization is greatly encouraged for defense purposes.

This party is the brainchild of the former Old Roman-supporting Hira family, most notably its founder and most recent Senator, S. Emilia Hira, and other like-minded individuals from all walks of life, from Philosophers to Varangians to Priests to Merchants to even a few lucky Peasants.

"Rome is a living idea, honoring its past and reaching towards the future."

• Locked thread