Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Clearly our Emperor should call his dynasty the Komnenos-Yaroslavovich.

Also could we clean our logo up a little? Perhaps... make it a tad more subtle, maybe throw in some purple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I suggest the Black Chamber use this as the symbol for the party to give it a more presentable face; the bloody hand while accurate doesn't do the group much favors. It features the Hand of Mary, a symbol that has long symbolized protection from evil in the Levant and the Black Chamber itself has many Icons of the Virgin Mary within it's halls.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Anything that increases the power of the Tsar and weakens the position of the doukes is good in my book. I rather like TheMcD's What The gently caress Just Happened Act, though it could use some work on the name. Imperial Restructuring Act is my own suggestion.

OOC: If you want me to change the polite symbol for the Black Chamber Party back let me know, but it seems like the kind of thing that would be stricken from record from my perspective. If it ever comes up again, that would be a pretty cool symbol for the Black Chamber since the Virgin Mary Icon decision does give you +1 intrigue.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Adept Nightingale posted:

Your words ring a little less, DentedLamp, while you're wearing the colors that our Honorable Tsar gave to you.

"Harmless politician" is an excellent description for you.

How often in these halls did we hear the words-- loyalty to Rome, not to simply Komnenos? And how quickly have the fallen hollow? I see before us today glory. Yes, glory, if you can all cease your bickerings and moanings at the executions of traitors. Look at our domain! Look at the lands that now encompass our great union, with not a single drop of blood spilled!

This is the dawning of a new age, and the Yaroslovovich Golden Age will shine far brighter than the Komnenoi ever did.

Give the man a break. The loss of Rome to the heresiarch is a biting loss to us all and you shouldn't begrude the more militant senators chomping at the bit to take it back. That said, Senator DentedLamp should realize that we have more pressing internal issues that require the Tsar's attention, such as the regularly scheduled uprising of the doukes.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Rincewind posted:

I hope that the next session of the New Senate will continue to give thought to issue of Russian, Turkish, and other languages spoken by the peoples of Kiev-Byzantium.

Protecting the languages and cultures of your various subjects seems a good cause my Tsar. At the very least it would mollify fears that the upper echelons of imperial administration share the views of Senator Cyrahzax. I do imagine there are plenty of doukes who share his views on such things.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Senator Samuel, did you by chance miss the "Laws explicitly calling for new conquest are forbidden until the end of the present security crisis" memo. Because if you did miss it, and I'm not saying you did, you ought to take a moment to review it and then see if that changes your proposals at all.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Well, he was an Old Roman. I wouldn't expect any less from one of their ranks. At least he looks sober.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

##support Yaroslavovich

I bear no ill will against Branas, but he is merely a puppet of the doukes. The doukes have ALWAYS been the enemy of the Senate and I shall never accept one of their puppets as my sovereign. That is unless he would throw of the yoke of the doukes and grant the Senate greater power. That I could live with.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 19, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Samuel posted:

Emergency meeting at my fortified Villa immediately!
How about the SENATE takes over Rome instead of pretender kings, and little girls that aren't even related to the Imperial Dynasty!
The time is now senators! Lets install the government that is not dependent on the first and the best king you can find, who's bloodline will vanish in a century or less anyway!
LET THE REPUBLIC RISE ONCE MORE!

Returning to a republic would greatly destabilize the realm. Perhaps in our grandchildren's time or their children's time the Empire will be ready for the Senate to rule it, but not now. It would cause too much upheaval. Either we restore Empresses Yaroslavovich to the throne or we take control of the doukes puppet for ourselves. Regardless of which path we take we see our power increase while if we let the doukes continue on with their puppet we are diminished.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Finally! Those those filth-ridden pretenders are overthrown! Rome forever over Russia!

Suppport Branas!

Would you at least agree that it is an insult for the doukes to assume they can have the Emperor as their puppet?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I am all for caution. Patience is a virtue after all. Plus I'm certain the doukes, in their usual short-sightedness will hand us the chance we need sooner or later.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Why would we make a child who doesn't even know what it is to be Roman our Empress?

Then TEACH HER you sniveling brat. What is more Roman than to teach someone else to be Roman? Yet it seems you can't even muster up the courage to do anything that belch out hot air or demand that the soldiers do the educating for you at sword point while you sit comfortably in the Senate doing NOTHING but drink and blather. If you want everyone to be a proper Roman than how about you start acting like one and lead by example? Until then you are nothing more than a coward who shrinks at the sight of a Russian or a Turk.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I almost feel sorry those idiots that supported Branas.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Hmm... I can't honestly say there is a clear definition to the questions Mu Zhanhai in this day and age. There have to be dozens of different views running about and that's just in the Senate. So while I can't say I'm certain of what it means to be Roman, to be Byzantine now I can say with certainty what I dearly hope it will mean one day in the future.

I wish it meant when someone says they are Roman or Byzantine that they do not look at their countrymen with suspicion and fear just because they speak another language or practice unfamiliar customs. I wish that a farmer from the Turkish reaches of Anatolia could sit with a fisherman from Croatia and both say to themselves "We are Byzantine" despite their differences. I wish that Byzantineness would be something transcends all boundaries of culture and language so that we would welcome with open arms anyone who wished to be Byzantine.

As such I stand beside Senator AdventFalls.

Also, perhaps we should see if Mu Zhanhai fellow would be agreeable to serving as an Ambassador to the courts of the Ming Empire? I would do us well to have someone who is learned of our many ways that is also knowledgeable of the ways of the Ming.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I hope you like the way it sounds, you fool, because their word is the only law now, thanks to your precious Yaroslavovich!
Would someone please get Senator Scruffles to show this fool how a dog is supposed to act. It's not endearing at all.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Luhood posted:

The Phanariote Committee

Senator Falls, I commend you! You have managed to finalize into words what being a Roman... nay, what being a Byzantine citizen is all about, and even more so what the Phanariotes stand for: Unity in Diversity. As Senator Squid phrased it, the Byzantine dream is the ability for a Turkish Farmer, a Croatian Fisher, a Jewish Administrator, a Pecheneg Merchant and a Greek soldier shall be able to sit down as equals and learn something new. Where being Roman was a matter of exclusion, being Byzantine is a matter of inclusion.

And I agree the future of Byzantium lies in the West. Not in Italy, nor in Spain, but further away. The Varangians speak of Vinland as our Greek ancestors spoke of Atlantia. There is something out there. It could be everything, or it could be nothing. It could be mountains of gold just as well as it could be another bubonic plague. What I know is that we must grab it before the Andalusians, the English, and the French.

I am glad that even though we belong to different parties we both share the same dream.

Now, regarding this Vinland I am surprised to hear that someone outside of we Greco-Varangians had heard of it. I had never put much stock in it, putting it off as my Grandfather trying to impress me during my girlhood with fanciful tales and such. Though with Cathay suddenly being confirmed beyond the shadow of a doubt I see no reason why Vinland couldn't also be true.

Of course getting there would require a navy suited for the Atlantic and North Seas which are quite different from the gentle Mediterranean or Aegean. Though I feel we could stand to use a more organized navy to begin with, it would greatly aid us in getting around the Empire as well as projecting our power further should the English seek our aid against the heretic Scots. Now, one thing that might aid us is a foothold in the Atlantic. It would be very advantageous if we could get a grip on the Strait of Gibraltar but that seems very difficult to accomplish, what with the Muslims and all. There is however another option according to some old maps I found in the Imperial Library in Phanar, there are some islands off the coast of the former Roman province of Mauritania. While distant, they would be far easier for us to conquer and to hold.

Of course we have far more important things to worry about at the time being but it's nice to have a plan ready ahead of time.

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Mmmm...between contact with Cathay and renewed interest in those old tales of "Vinland", perhaps those stories I heard from a Somali bloke about "Great Zimbabway" and "Kilwa" are true as well.

The future...well, what's left of it...seems bright. And gold.

I do think we should try to only pursue one of the distant realms at a time. We should be very careful not to overextend our reach. Renewing the drive to centralize power in the Empire should hopefully make this ventures easier and more feasible though.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Adept Nightingale posted:

We are the shepherds of Christendom, first and foremost. That, not lines on a map, not glorious conquests, is what immortalizes and encapsulates us. We are the Empire of Constantine, of St. Valeria and Valeria II who mended the Schism.

We are the seat of Orthodoxy, and it is that, first and foremost, that should determine our destiny going forward. In our hands is the sacred charge of stamping out heresy and safeguarding the word of God. Whomever leads us, whatever form our government takes, we have no higher calling as a people.

Look around us. The very institution of secular rule is broken, some might say beyond repair. We have suffered pretenders, and feuding feudal lords who would seem more powerful than ever before, if their lands were not so broken, so divided.

The structures of the Orthodox church, however, remain intact, even when national boundaries have changed -- save in the case of Rome, which demands reconquest, of course. It is to the eparchs, to the pentarchy, that we must now turn as a people to mend what has been broken. It is the eparchs whom we can trust to lead our people to a new golden age.

You are forgetting that the themes in control of the eparchs are just as likely to rebel as those in the hands of the doukes? The Orthodox church itself remains a bastion of stability simply because it does not have to contend with the trials and temptations of secular rule.

What you should seek is instead the empowering of the Empress and the Senate. As we have seen great things occur when the two are in harmony. As we have seen horrible things occur when they two are not. The Emperor balances the Senate's insanity while the Senate ensures the Emperor does not slip their duties the title commands. Secular rule is not broken, it is merely diseased by greedy mongrels that seek to use it to their own ends rather than carry out their duties with due diligence. The Despoina shows no signs of succumbing to the greed that poisoned Helias's mind. Her actions speak of a superior character, one that is fit to carry out her duties to the Empire rather than seek to control the Empress for her own ends; she is no more the Empress's puppetmaster than we are.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Well said Senator Qutuzid. I believe this would go a long way to taming the covetous tempers of doukes. If both their duties and privileges are codified by law then I believe even they would be able to take solace knowing they are secure from having their holdings stripped from them by the whims of the an Emperor - should one with the character of the Wicked Pretender come along again; our current Empress would never do something like that without just cause.

Uncertainty is the bane of stability. It breeds fear, envy, and jealously. Let us stay those beasts by shielding the people of the Empire high or low under the aegis of law!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Wow. That is one hell of thing China has going on. There is no way in hell Confuscianism is the dominant school of thought there.

I do have an idea on how China is able to pull this all off though. Shortly after the Hongwu Emperor took charge China has experienced several years of insanely huge bumper crops the likes of which no one had seen in ages, for whatever reason we want to contrive. If this were the case I can see the people taking it as a clean sign the Emperor has the Mandate of Heaven AND they would have the food to feed an army halfway around the world and make tripes to Iberia.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I personally like the idea of him going mad with power.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Patter Song posted:

Heian period is ridiculously cool, though. The tension between the Imperial family and their Fujiwara masters would be great: think of the potential of having an Emperor player character bucking under the rule that he must marry a Fujiwara woman and that his father in law become Prime Minister. Not to mention the potential in the mechanic of Emperors resigning, feeling that they'd have more control and ability to buck the Fujiwaras as ex-Emperors advising their successors than as Emperors. You have religion and politics, court intrigue, and so much loving. Have you read The Pillow Book or the Genji Monogatari? So much loving. Paradox loves that.

Heian period is way more interesting than any of the bakufus.

They'd have to implement a hell of a lot more robust intrigue system and toss in more nuances to vassals to be able to get anywhere close to that.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Gnooble posted:

Ok I gotta chime in that this is becoming ridiculous. There is no way China should be able to support an army that large on occupied lands and repeatedly thrash the entirety of Europe. Even the Mongols eventually were stopped. These guys have so many troops they can fight the Muslims, half their own lands, and Europe without really breaking a sweat.

It's occupied territory rather than a proper state I think, so I have to imagine that it's as autonomous as it can get. The Ming and their huge army just rolled up and put local collaborators in charge so they wouldn't revolt the moment they stepped away. I would imagine that Rincewind is going to have some sort of event fire at the start of EU4 to wreck them.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? They aren't exactly configured for a naval conquest and I'd imagine that most of the ships they used to get to Iberia were chartered in the Mediterranean.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Samuel posted:

A great new age is dawning on the empire, an age of enlightenment! An age of conquest!
Yes the Chinese legions drove deep, and fellow Romans lie in many graves. Put there by Chinese, Sunni and Doukal swords. But they have scattered the world, while they have only dented the empire! We can strike up scattered people whilst they rebel against the greater threat, and double the rewards of Rome with easy victories and rich lands.
First and foremost we need to re-populate the black chamber, in the days of old we made great use of the assassins and spies and we became great through them! Yet in the late ages of our fall we lacked everything, we have not slain great leaders, we have not fabricated claims on trade empires, we have not won whatever the cost and this saddens me greatly. We must fill our coffers and steal our way to the top, starting with Crimea and the lost trade empires. And then, beyond!

The iron fist of the senate will never again tolerate the secession of valuable assets, we will never again wait for disaster to strike but we will stay one step ahead of our enemies both without and within!

A new black chamber is needed to suppress the threats of the future!

Repopulate? What in the name of God makes you think the Black Chamber ever had a shortage of agents?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

That was merely a bunch of Senators claiming to represent to Black Chamber. I have no idea what got into my Great-Grandmother there. The Black Chamber itself wasn't purged.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NewMars posted:

It has certainly been less active then before, though.

That's a mix of the chaos of the times and the Chamber working a distinctly more counter-espionage bent. I am certain they could do more if there were a proper training regimen and vetting process but even getting to that would require a great deal of centralization in the Imperial Administration.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I am fairly certain that Chang just demonstrated to us all that there is more to state building than simple strength of arms.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Dux Supremus posted:

Yeah, we've got a great record on internal cohesion and political development. Astounding, really. The old SPQR wasn't without plenty of internal strife, but it at least had 3 Legions to lose somewhere like Teutoburg forest, and 25 more besides. A robust standing military with a clearly defined chain of command and the need to provision, maintain, equip, and supply it is a better unifying force than all the political intrigue and social engineering in the world. Rome was built on the back of the Army, and having given it up in favor of feudal levies has almost doomed us more times than I can count.

With all due respect to ComImIn, and especially the Black Chamber, 350 years of internal maneuvering, scheming, politicking, and murdering our enemies in the night haven't really changed much in terms of how Rome is run, and how it ever-so-frequently almost suicides at critical junctions. We could learn from our erstwhile Chinese foes' astonishing feats instead of merely shrugging and writing them off with "Feet of clay."

I didn't mean to shrug them off. I was attempting to highlight that they attempted to solve all of their problems through their army from the look of things. Yes, a professional army is good to have but we should not delude ourselves into thinking it will solve every problem just because it can solve a good number of them.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

NewMars posted:

In this situation, though, I feel it may be wise to give one priority. After all, all around us is chaos. When this pitiful rebellion collapses, we shall still be standing tall. But the states around us are petty and divided...

Which is why it would be wise to further consolidate authority to the Empress and the Senate. We should do our house cleaning when it's safe rather than later. We will be stronger for it. Enough so that even if our potential targets consolidate we would still have the edge.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Samuel posted:

Perhaps it is best to murder the doukes forthwith and thus ensure there is nothing to opposing our consolidation! As my family has said since antiquity, next to that we must expand our coffers by seizing trade republics and expanding our own ports and trade.

They'll revolt sooner or later. Why on Earth should we let them pick the time?

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

##Vote Byzantium

##Sponsor the Exploration Act
##Sponsor The State of Imperial Law
##Sponsor Creation of an Imperial Bureaucracy
##Sponsor the Secularity Act

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Amnistar posted:

##vote Rome

The Black Chamber is the one that held this empire together through the numerous external invasions, and the transition of emperor to emperor. As such I ##propopse: Puppet Emperor The nation is truly run by puppet leaders that have been supported by the Black Chamber. Those that attempt to act against the empire are put down by the chamber, blame being laid wherever it is most suitable.

I assure you that the Black Chamber does not have that sort of power. Branas never would have come to power if it were that simple.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

D3m3 posted:

## Propose the "Get the Senate Back in Freaking Order" Act

Since the sudden change to the system by Yaroslav, and then his sudden death and the crude reinstatement by Branas that only half or so of us ever even acknowledged, we've been waving a ridiculous scattershot of banners and parties and signs, from different structures and different meanings, and it's a little impossible to tell who's aligned with what, and what it means. We need to actually take stock and decide what's what again, officially. I'm not even sure what the parties are anymore!

Agreed, the Senate is a bit of mess. I do like the way Yaroslav structured the Committees and I believe it would work well for us in the future.
## Sponsor the "Get the Senate Back in Freaking Order" Act

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm really not a fan of the committees, but the Senate does need some standardization. I mean, the committees only let Senators focus on one aspect of state, where the parties let them have entire platform to push. Given the...independent spirit of the Senate, parties would really be more appropriate.

There's no reason we can't move between committees as we feel necessary but it should help the future Emperor see what issues we feel important.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think set factions let us do this better, and are more fun to boot. We can have opinions on everything, have longstanding rivalries, ect. It's really this lp's schtick. There is a reason Yaroslav's Senate was the PUNISHMENT ZONE.

Actually that makes sense. Still, I'd like to see it come down to more than just the Old Romans/New Byzantines again since EU4 will give us a lot more to work with in terms of what we can do as senators.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
##Vote A

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I for one like the idea of a fragmented China using the HRE system.

I'd personally like to see an Ainu state. Perhaps this could have gotten kicked off by having the Song or Tang Dynasty make the Ainu/Emishi a tributary state way back in the 700s before the Japanese rolled over Tohoku. It's not like they weren't aware of them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emishi#Envoys_to_the_Tang_court). When the Mongols took over some die-hard loyalists fled to the region which helped advance the natives and better resist the Japanese in the centuries to come.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Curses, I was about to make essentially the same thing as the Monternos party but I got held up making a symbol.

It's the Star of Bethlehem merged into a sextant with the color being the flame of the Phanariotes, representing the use of science and technology to chart out the darkness of ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Join the Monternos Party

Senator Mira Kalmarova

• Locked thread