Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is another Telltale adventure game released for the PC (and WiiWare! and later PSN!) in 2008. Like most of Telltale's games, it's episodic with 5 individual episodes.

SBCG4AP is based off of the popular internet Flash cartoon series called Homestar Runner. Specifically, it stars Strong Bad, the real star of the website and of its main feature, the Strong Bad Emails, which started in 2001 and ran for 205 short episodes before going on hiatus in October 2009. The website itself hasn't had an actual toon released since 2010 either, as both members of The Brothers Chaps (Matt and Mike Chapman) have been focusing on their careers.

As stated, SBCG4AP is an adventure game of the point-and-click variety. It features tons of humorous dialog, more than any Homestar cartoon. This LP will run through all 5 episodes (and maybe even some bonus stuff involving games from the website?), and will be done in a subtitle format. This game speaks for itself, and it speaks for itself often; it doesn't need me or anybody else trying to be funny talking over it. It can be funny (or unfunny, for that matter) all by itself. Unfortunately, I will be being unfunny through subtitles, but I will try to keep it to a minimum, which means no "talking" through dialogue.

The game itself does fall into some of the pitfalls of other adventure games, especially Telltale's. Some of the puzzles are weird and obtuse. Some parts that don't have conversations get boring. The engine is, to put it bluntly, a piece of crap that merely gives the illusion that it works great. (Fun fact: during one of my failed recordings of the tutorial I managed to accidentally force myself through the door in the beginning and got stuck in an endless loop of Strong Bad saying he won't leave his room until he investigates, forcing me to force quit the game.) But the dialog and quirky humor manages to make up for most of these things. Also to be perfectly honest the first episode is probably the worst of the bunch. Worst being relative here, of course. Hang in until Episode 2 or 3, that's where it starts getting good.

Regarding Audio Quality: The audio quality of the voice clips in Episode 1 is terrible and has nothing to do with my recording. They improve dramatically from Episode 2 onward.

Spoiler Policy: Uhh...I don't really care? Don't be a dick, use your best judgement, blah blah blah.

First up is Homestar Ruiner! Strong Bad decides to finally beat the snot out of Homestar Runner once and for all, but then he gets a different idea on how to ruin Homestar's life. Unfortunately for Strong Bad, the best laid plans of mice and Mexican wrestler look-alikes often go awry...

Volume in drive C: has no label
Directory of C:\sbcg4ap_lp\updated somedays

0. tutorial
1. homestar runner
2. stupid moron party
3. prank calls
4. sabotage
5. home invasions
6. criminal record
7. girlfriend problems
8. the FCUTRERSTUD
9. party crashing
B1. teen girl squad
B2. snake boxer 5
B3. awesomeness new!

Next is Strong Badia the Free! Strong Bad runs into a big problem when he unknowingly violates the King of Town's new e-mail tax. There's only one thing for the leader of Strong Badia to do when faced with this unparalleled tyranny: revolt, secede, and siege! :cheat:

10. house arrest
11. secession
12. glowy drinks
13. ancient artifacts
14. siege
15. re-siege
B1. cave girl squad

Baddest of the Bands! When Strong Bad runs into a little problem with his beloved Fun Machine, he hatches a needlessly convoluted scheme to pay for the repairs. ROCK AND ROLL!

16. repair funding
17. album art
18. auditions

BONUS UPDATES
-Thy Dungeonman 1

Related Press Material:
-Strong Bad Gameways

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

It's an After-Decemberween miracle! Or maybe it's my birthday present from me to you!

Good news: episodes are easier for me to do now. I actually have a partial backlog now! Amazing! Because this episode is a little on the short side, I might even put out another one tonight!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Its nice to see you back, I was sad when you stopped updating.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Hey look another update. This one's kinda short but it's the second one of the day and I can't really add more without breaking the flow or making it really long. The next two videos will definitely be longer, though!

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
You said on twitter before about how bad the audio recordings were in the first episode and it seems really prevalent in this last video. I never really noticed it when I played through but now it is bugging me. edit: oh, just noticed you mentioned it in the OP too

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I just extracted an audio clip from Episodes 1 and 2 and discovered that they use totally different file formats. Homestar Ruiner uses .vox files, which Telltale Speech Extractor saved as a .wav file, while all the others use .aud files which are basically .ogg files.

A clip from episode 1: "Not so intriguing."

The same (actually, it's pretty obvious they re-recorded it) voice clip from episode 2: "Not so intriguing."

So there you go. Episode coming later today, by the way.

EDIT: Or maybe I'll decide to re-record it. And then afterwards have to re-record it again because the second time the video had no visuals. Oh boy.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 20, 2014

Daigerus
Nov 5, 2009
I'm glad to see this game get the LP treatment: Strong Bad is a pretty interesting character in his own right, and the episodes do get better as they go on. I also find interesting how they dodge the subject of geography by letting you move locations about at will, with the Strong House being the only location you can't adjust.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Daigerus posted:

I'm glad to see this game get the LP treatment: Strong Bad is a pretty interesting character in his own right, and the episodes do get better as they go on. I also find interesting how they dodge the subject of geography by letting you move locations about at will, with the Strong House being the only location you can't adjust.

Actually you can drag around all the locations, even Strong Bad's house. It's just in the middle by default.

Hey look it's a new episode!

Next one will probably be a long one, if not split up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Awl-wight! I'm glad to see this wasn't discontinued. Recently looked through a bunch of old internet stuff, and while almost all of it was 100% terrible and made me hate myself for ever once remotely liking it - Homestar Runner is, I think, the only thing which I can unapologetically say is still really, really good.

Can't really explain WHY though - it's a combination of charm, surrelaism, witty humour... And genuine talent. The guys (and gal) were REALLY good at their jobs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One thing I love about Homestar is the unique way it plays with the English language and eventually developed its own little lexicon. I still like to say "No probalo" from Senor Mortgage even to this day.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cardgage. Though yeah, it's kinda fun how they managed to do all that weird wordplay and still have it come out as pretty understandable to pretty much anyone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The cartoon is called Senor Mortgage, which is what I was referencing. I checked the wiki, don't judge me.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
I'm glad to see this thread, too. I never got around to playing these games because I was too concerned with trying to find work after being fresh-out of college, I guess, and I sort of forgot about them until recently. They seem like the sort of thing I'd have fun playing, too.

Waffleman_ posted:

One thing I love about Homestar is the unique way it plays with the English language and eventually developed its own little lexicon. I still like to say "No probalo" from Senor Mortgage even to this day.
Seriously, the wordplay is contagious. I often like pronouncing the word "office" as how Coach Z pronounces in the new version of The Search for the Yellow Dello--as "airfice." I actually got a friend of mine pronouncing it the same way even though she never watched any Homestar Runner cartoons.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Time to be a winner!

*fanfare*:toot:

How to unlock the Nuisance Trophy:
-Kick The Cheat into the dryer and then talk to him
-Talk to Homestar in the locker room three times about the race. (Or speak to him twice in Extended Play)
-Ring Marzipan's doorbell four times (while she's there, obviously)
-Insult Bubs once
-Insult Coach Z in his office at least once after the race. (Or speak to him in Extended Play)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DON'T SING MY SONG!

Hahaha so perfectly timed.

Sandata
Mar 19, 2010
Just a small little note that apparently they did get a speaking line at something called GeekStock 2013, which I guess is a Con thing of Woodstock for geeks? Also they updated their store with a lovely 20% or something more than 20% off sale at the Bubs store. Man I miss these guys. It's just too difficult to write jokes in that funny style that they were known for.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ha, This is great. I still have my stuffed screaming The Cheat on my bed. He's great to throw at unsuspecting persons. The yelling definitely freaks them out.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

And here's the conclusion of Homestar Ruiner!

Stay tuned for three more bonus videos in the upcoming days, and then I'll start on episode 2.

Or maybe I'll have something else planned for the thread in between...

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
You actually haven't clicked the plant until this video. I was wonder when you would Since it is required for one of the trophies

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think part of what makes Homestar Ruiner the weakest of the lot is that it's the most straightforward in terms of story, so it looks less impressive when compared to the rest of the episodes. Like, each of the other episodes has a really fun gimmick to them, and Homestar Ruiner is just like a normal-rear end Homestar cartoon.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

mateo360 posted:

You actually haven't clicked the plant until this video. I was wonder when you would Since it is required for one of the trophies

I know which trophy you're thinking of but nope, that's not one the requirements. Also darn I could have sworn I did that in the first video.

I have this funny feeling I'm going to go rewatch the first video and I'll say "I'll look at all this stuff later" and I never do. Crap. That's what I get for procrastination. :v:

Waffleman_ posted:

I think part of what makes Homestar Ruiner the weakest of the lot is that it's the most straightforward in terms of story, so it looks less impressive when compared to the rest of the episodes. Like, each of the other episodes has a really fun gimmick to them, and Homestar Ruiner is just like a normal-rear end Homestar cartoon.

It's funny because this episode does have quite a bit of things that make me laugh but it really is pretty standard and then the other four episodes come and blow it clear out of the water.

Teen Girl Squad episode coming probably tomorrow. I don't think I have time today.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 29, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Color Printer posted:

I know which trophy you're thinking of but nope, that's not one the requirements. Also darn I could have sworn I did that in the first video.

I have this funny feeling I'm going to go rewatch the first video and I'll say "I'll look at all this stuff later" and I never do. Crap. That's what I get for procrastination. :v:

Indeed you are right. I thought there was more to that one then you actually need to do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Color Printer posted:

It's funny because this episode does have quite a bit of things that make me laugh but it really is pretty standard and then the other four episodes come and blow it clear out of the water.

I think it works to have one standard episode to not only give the fans a traditional Homestar experience, but to establish the status quo of Free Country, USA before the next four episodes knock everything on its ear.

Edit: A quick fact: The beginning of You Can't Handle My Style was originally supposed to have Strong Bad mumble "Super Punch-Out," but legal concerns made them change it to Rhino Feeder. You can hear it here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cozh2ZNg1w

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 30, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Speaking of music! If you watched Homestar Runner and still actually loving remember it, you may have recognized some of the music in this game. Some of it actually originated from the website.

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Missed this thread's revival - glad to see the first game closed out, and looking forward to seeing how crazy things get in the second one. It's a nice chill time.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
Just completed my Race to the End of the LP, and that was actually really funny! Can't wait for the other episodes if that one was bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not that Homestar Ruiner is bad, it's just that the other four are SO MUCH BETTER.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Episode 3 is my fav, if only because its theme is The Best. :colbert:

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not that Homestar Ruiner is bad, it's just that the other four are SO MUCH BETTER.

Whoa, don't get me TOO excited, Waffleman_

Colorred fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 2, 2014

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Telltale and the Brothers Chaps were were still figuring out what to do for this series with the first episode. They definitely found their footing later on. Too bad the engine never improved, this series is a mess in coding. Shame Homestar Runner hasn't been a thing for a few years. I would liked to have seen what a Season 2 would've been like, especially since Telltale improved a lot in making adventure games later on.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think Telltale and the Brothers Chaps were were still figuring out what to do for this series with the first episode. They definitely found their footing later on. Too bad the engine never improved, this series is a mess in coding. Shame Homestar Runner hasn't been a thing for a few years. I would liked to have seen what a Season 2 would've been like, especially since Telltale improved a lot in making adventure games later on.

personally I'd like them to finish up the Bone series.

Or at least include one of the bones in poker night 3

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
They don't have the rights to Bone, hence why it just sort of died. Whoever had the rights won't let them make more or something like that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kgummy posted:

They don't have the rights to Bone, hence why it just sort of died. Whoever had the rights won't let them make more or something like that.

Bone... do you mean Bone as in Jeff Smith's Bone or something else altogether?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yup, that's the one.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

So I've been a little busy this weekend and both of my options for the next video are kinda on hold because (a) Snake Boxer 5’s Awesomeness requirement turned out to be pretty crazy for how dull and boring the game is and (b) the Teen Girl Squad video did not record correctly.

So what I'm gonna do is, either tomorrow or Friday, I'm gonna put up the first part of Strong Badia the Free so we can get started on that and I'll just intersperse Episode 1's bonus videos with the regular videos of Episode 2. I was gonna do something else Homestar-related between Episodes 1 and 2 but that'll have to wait.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh boy, Strong Badia the Free! With a name like that, it's gotta be good. :cheat:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Why did anyone buy this?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because it's funny?
Here I think this might help explain it.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 6, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I grew up on Homestar Runner. I'm just saying why the hell would anyone spend $30 on an emote that would almost never get used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I grew up on Homestar Runner. I'm just saying why the hell would anyone spend $30 on an emote that would almost never get used?

And more importantly, how DO you type with boxing gloves on?

• Locked thread