Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sandata posted:

I try to share this story every time someone does a LP of this game, so let's see how you guys handle it.

So on a website called Fireball 20 something dot com there was a web comic called ROTFW. Which stands for Ruins of the fourth wall. It was mostly done by a fan girl who had a thing for Ivo Robotnik and would tear you limb from limb if you called him Eggman. Anyway this was around the year 2004 give or take. Getting to Monkey Island she made a comic where Guybrush came out of no where and said one of his famous line and she dared anyone to guess who it was.

I had NO idea who it was. Remind you this game was made around 1988 or 89 and I never heard of that line at all. A small bit of time later and a handy Google search I realized that the game was Monkey Island. Thus was my search for a copy to play. After about a dozen demos I searched for a hard copy. Seeing that one was out of reach price wise I did what every PC user does when they are faced with such a problem. Hint, nudge say no more.

FireballXL20! And Ruins Of The 4th Wall! And That's My Sonic. Oh god memories of bad webcomics. For the morbidly curious, you can still look at most of his old stuff on http://fireball20xl.tumblr.com/, and old rotfw on http://rotfw.fireball20xl.com/.

Rocket Baby Dolls, how old is your daughter? Does she like video games? Maybe you could do a 'reactions from a little girl' video (if she is, in fact, little). Also, we need some feedback for the GIRLGAMES thread, poke your head in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

One of the great things about these games are the easter eggs. We've already found one in the LOOM guy, there are at least two mmore that I remember before leaving Melee Island.

The bar the pirates are all hanging out in is named after Lucas Arts go to adventure engine as well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUMM

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I think playing the Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 will be detrimental to the game as a whole, because it features the Curse of Monkey Island voice actor for LeChuck. This is a problem, because MI2 and CoMI are entirely different tonally. MI2 has a sinister, creepy villain, and CoMI has a wacky, zany villain. The wacky voice actor just doesn't fit the creepy role, particularly since he plays it the exact same way.

Good LP otherwise, although naturally like everyone else I hope that whoever came up with Nu-Guybrush's retarded 90's hairstyle for MI1 Special Edition burns in his own damnation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Tunahead posted:

I think playing the Special Edition of Monkey Island 2 will be detrimental to the game as a whole, because it features the Curse of Monkey Island voice actor for LeChuck. This is a problem, because MI2 and CoMI are entirely different tonally. MI2 has a sinister, creepy villain, and CoMI has a wacky, zany villain. The wacky voice actor just doesn't fit the creepy role, particularly since he plays it the exact same way.

Good LP otherwise, although naturally like everyone else I hope that whoever came up with Nu-Guybrush's retarded 90's hairstyle for MI1 Special Edition burns in his own damnation.

I disagree. To me, it's the fact that LeChuck is a wacky villain trying his hardest to be serious that makes him work so well.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I disagree. To me, it's the fact that LeChuck is a wacky villain trying his hardest to be serious that makes him work so well.

I'll just drop it for now, because spoilers. But rest assured, when this LP hits CoMI, boy will I ever have a lot to say about all the terrible desperate jokes aimed at the Invader Zim demographic contained therein.

Note: I still love Curse of Monkey Island. It's just that sometimes I wonder why.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I may of missed it in the video, is there a interesting tree stump in that dark forest in the updated version?

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Escape is the only game in the series that requires you to follow the sierra rule (save early, save often), not due to death but bugs...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ulvirich posted:

I may of missed it in the video, is there a interesting tree stump in that dark forest in the updated version?

Good call, Ulvirich! That stump deserves investigation. Could you please check it out, Rocket?

Edit: About Bobbin Threadbare, he's the protagonist of LOOM, the game that one pirate was talking about. It was made LucasArts back when they were still called Lucasfilm games.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 23, 2014

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Deathwind posted:

Escape is the only game in the series that requires you to follow the sierra rule (save early, save often), not due to death but bugs...

I don't remember any problematic bugs in the original at all.

Also, it will be exiting to see what ending OP is going for.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Are you using a guide or doing quick practice runs beforehand at all, for any of the games?

I don't mind you playing from memory, I'm just worried about you getting stuck or something, that's usually more frustrating than entertaining with point and click adventure LPs.

EDIT: Practices runs, not rubs, that a heck of a typo.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 23, 2014

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Good call, Ulvirich! That stump deserves investigation. Could you please check it out, Rocket?

Edit: About Bobbin Threadbare, he's the protagonist of LOOM, the game that one pirate was talking about. It was made LucasArts back when they were still called Lucasfilm games.

I'll work on it in the next video. Thank you for reminding me.

Penakoto posted:

Are you using a guide or doing quick practice runs beforehand at all, for any of the games?

I don't mind you playing from memory, I'm just worried about you getting stuck or something, that's usually more frustrating than entertaining with point and click adventure LPs.

EDIT: Practices runs, not rubs, that a heck of a typo.

I'm doing it all from memory. But I think after episode two with the helmet incident that refreshing my memory with a walkthrough might be a good option.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Enjoying the LP, but don't be afraid to cut out some walking to places we have been before.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Addict posted:

Enjoying the LP, but don't be afraid to cut out some walking to places we have been before.

I'm not sure why I didn't, I said I would in the video but ultimately I kept it in. In my Simon The Sorcerer LP's I did and will in future.

I should hopefully have my next update tomorrow night (UK time) Monday at the very latest. I'm also looking through some walkthrough's\easter eggs\secrets for extra content. I never even knew there was two alternate ending sequences, I had forgotten about the stump and have learnt about a few other things.

I already thought these games were pretty drat content heavy but even with some simple searches I'm finding more and more. I've completed the original TSOMI at least a dozen times, and I mean at least a dozen times, and thought I had seen it all. It turns out I'm wrong. I'm glad that people are giving me input with this as even after all these years I'm learning new things.

From now on jump cuts are in place to previous locations. I'll be referring to walkthrough's to make sure I don't make any further actions which breaks the storyline. Memory is one thing but there needs to be a visual\audio reason for making the decisions. I'll also add more input to the LP, so far it's been a bit of a nostalgia trip and I've kinda gotten a bit lost in thought at moments. drat, I've only just read about an alternative sequence with Bob in TSOMI... There's going to be a lot more bonus content than I originally first thought!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I never even knew there was two alternate ending sequences,
I found this out by accident on a replay and it scared me a good bit. Looking forward to the easter eggs :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was hoping to have the next video up tonight but it's going to be another six-seven hours for the video to upload, so I'll post it tomorrow along with a ten minute bonus video. I think a few people will know what the ten minute bonus video will be.

I was also looking into doing a bonus video involving a bridge, but after reading up I found out that a given threat was hollow.

From this episode onwards I have and will continue to plan ahead, instead of relying on my memory I thought it would be better to consult a few sites and work out a plan of action for each episode and plan for any potential bonus footage.

Otis has already been mentioned, he mentioned the yellow flowers but not what they are used for. Is there something else that I'm missing? I know I've already solved the puzzle but I was wondering if there was someone who talks about their effect. Or is it one of those puzzles where someone highlights their importance and you discover a solution by random item combining?

I guess in my OP I didn't mention anything about spoilers but I guess from now on, especially after several people have mentioned their progress with the series, that anything not seen in the videos should be spoiler tagged. I'm not going to prohibit discussion, but I'd rather give someone the option of wanting to read it or not. I'll update the OP.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Otis has already been mentioned, he mentioned the yellow flowers but not what they are used for. Is there something else that I'm missing? I know I've already solved the puzzle but I was wondering if there was someone who talks about their effect. Or is it one of those puzzles where someone highlights their importance and you discover a solution by random item combining?
Otis does give the name of the yellow flowers; it's French, but gives a clue about what they can be used for. You can also infer from that conversation that Gov. Marley made it illegal to pick them because they could be used on her guard dogs. But no, no one else mentions the flowers at all.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Otis does give the name of the yellow flowers; it's French, but gives a clue about what they can be used for. You can also infer from that conversation that Gov. Marley made it illegal to pick them because they could be used on her guard dogs. But no, no one else mentions the flowers at all.

I don't know if they have changed the dialogue in the special edition, that particular line of dialogue didn't come up. All he said in the special edition was that He was arrested because they were illegal to pick and nothing more.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

I was hoping to have the next video up tonight but it's going to be another six-seven hours for the video to upload

:psyduck: Are you making the same mistake I did and uploading lossless versions of the videos or something? Try running the file through Handbrake and see what happens.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Yapping Eevee posted:

:psyduck: Are you making the same mistake I did and uploading lossless versions of the videos or something? Try running the file through Handbrake and see what happens.

My bandwidth is crapping out tonight for some reason. I've already converted it from FRAPS to an mp4 so usually it would take an hour or two at most but even since my last post it's been hovering over the six hour mark. Usually by now it would be up. Blame my crappy ISP!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if they have changed the dialogue in the special edition, that particular line of dialogue didn't come up. All he said in the special edition was that He was arrested because they were illegal to pick and nothing more.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Assuming we know who makes the rules around Melee Island (tm).

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I just recently binged through the screenshot LPs on the archive of MI1 and MI2 because VGCW recently had a Guybrush VS LeChuck match as part of its Star Road tournament. My only exposure to Monkey Island growing up was having a kid down the street show off 2 to me once, so I'm stoked to see the rest of the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh man, I freakin' adore Monkey Island and I'm so sad that Disney's probably not going to do anything with the license since they already have a pirate series. I gotta dust off a copy of Curse and play through it again.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:siren: The Secret Of Monkey Island - Episode 3 :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op35B-ORM48

As stated in the video and earlier in the thread, I've started to plan each episode ahead. In this video I managed to complete two of the three quests and I am almost set up for the third.

Regarding the stump, I did some research and they took it out with the CD-Rom release and didn't include it in the special edition. If I remember correctly the joke is referenced in "Curse" at some point in the game.

I have also uploaded a bonus video: R.I.P. Guybrush

For some reason, if you don't do any actions for several minutes the game brings up the menu screen. There was also a sequence which I can't remember happening in the original game.

Edit: I'm nicknaming this the "Um, err" episode! I need to work on that.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 28, 2014

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Much better with the jump cuts and having a plan, definitely.

By the way, regarding your last statement, spoilered just in case I guess Tales does have it, in Episode 5.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've never seen this game but I'm already in love with it.

I love how the governor and Guybrush skip the dating and get right to the embarrassing nicknames. (Plunder Bunny :allears:)

I love how simple the solution to getting chucked into the water was.

It's got great writing and great voice acting and all the little touches are great. Like the actions you can take after you drown.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Plunder Bunny :allears:

I was going to say something about that particular name but I didn't want to spoil later videos. I smiled when I saw it mentioned, I had forgotten it was first uttered in that scene.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

To clarify what you brought up at the end of the video and to not spoil anything, Tales does not have what's coming up next, but it does have a section that's pretty much mechanically identical.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm going to wait to link to it, but what's coming up next gets reproduced in Kingdom of Loathing, because that game references everything. It's surprisingly well done too.

Plunder Bunny is the best lovey-dovey nickname. :allears: Can't wait to see more of these games, since I've never played them myself.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember reading (because I wouldn't have realized it at the time) that the troll is supposed to be George Lucas. Does that sound/look right? It's a bit clearer with the fancy graphics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

I remember reading (because I wouldn't have realized it at the time) that the troll is supposed to be George Lucas. Does that sound/look right? It's a bit clearer with the fancy graphics.

It's very clearly him.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh man, everything you need to go through to defeat the swordmaster is just amazing. I have been quite eagerly awaiting this portion of the game :allears:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Noooo the stump, how could they take it out?! Those monsters! :negative: Thanks for researching it RBD.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Guybrush obviously had one of those Grog-o-Mints after the mansion. They make people talk!

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
Could you not change the graphics during conversations? It's cool to see the game in classic mode, but it's annoying to have the dialog cut out.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

If you wanna show off classic art for characters during dialog, it'd probably be a good idea to have them be shown off as screenshots, or put into (a) bonus video(s).

At least until the second game, which has voice acting in classic and remake mode.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Noted, I will refrain in future. I'll stick to screenshots with any close ups. I should have the next video up tomorrow.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:siren: The Secret Of Monkey Island - Episode 4 (Insult Sword Fighting):siren:

This episode is centred around the third quest. I didn't get every single insult but I tried, I actually recorded a prior video but the second brought up 2-3 new insults. Serves me right for not enabling the mic. But anyway, this is all about the third quest and sword fighting, it's a little longer than usual but a good ten minutes have been cut from the original. I'll have another up over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyDpx6IdRM4

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

To clarify what you brought up at the end of the video and to not spoil anything, Tales does not have what's coming up next, but it does have a section that's pretty much mechanically identical.

Watching the video, I just remembered that there actually IS an insult swordfighting scene in Tales along with the mechanically identical thing.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
For your enjoyment, KoL's version of insult swordfighting: Insult Beer Pong. Complete with having to learn retorts and apply them to new insults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Wow, you were good enough to beat the Sword Master!

Honestly, I love all the insult mini-games, but this first version of it ain't so great. The acquiring of insults and responses, as you showed off, requires luck more than anything and can get frustrating.

EDIT

Fun Fact that I'm sure many people already know: The line "I'm selling these fine leather jackets" is a reference to the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adventure game, where Indy can use the same line to possibly smooth talk a Nazi guard.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 31, 2014

• Locked thread