Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
In September I was involved in an accident where my Rangie was totalled. I immediately started searching craigslist within 200 miles to find an adequate shell to swap most/all of the P38s parts into.

I found this red disco in san diego for a thousand bux. I emailed him 3-4 times before the guy actually called me. 2 days post crash, I drove down and bought it.

the PO said the engine was trashed but it still ran. AC is dead, ABS freaks out for no reason. Typical wife/child hauler stains and wear everywhere.
But it had the loadout I wanted. its a early 1997, Pre eal (fuel tank pump) Rioja red (one of my favorite rover colors), 5 speed, and castor wheels (its not supposed to have these).

Spares! Tons of spare parts. (that I later sell and make basically a free rover)

the 8-6-5 4.0 made it back to Las Vegas pulling 17mpg the whole way.

Step 1. the deep cleansing. God this thing was loving filthy. coke stains everywhere, dog hair, old food, stuff I hoped to never find out what it was.

He shoved a crap headunit in, more on this later.

rear carpet now better.

step 2. Address the 8-6-5 engine.
I built a rather strong engine for the rangie as it deserved more than 190 loving hp in sometihng that weighs 6,000lb.
The discos engine wasn't worth saving witch such a thing sitting on my shelf.

all that room to work in.

with a engine bay like this you'd think a duramax would fit, but NOPE.

This is why the engine failed, which the PO bragged about the new pan gasket and front cover he just installed. USE LESS RTV YOU MORON.

In with the 4.6!
I had to convert the front cover (timing chain cover), oil pump pickup, motor mounts, and a pile of other trivial poo poo. Plus a high flow water pump.
I didn't fit a new clutch. PO told me it was recently replaced. This comes back to gently caress me later.

all buckled down and ready for testing...
which meant spinning tires around the neighborhood grinning like like a retard.

Now the bumper is hung.
this bumper was on the p38. It didn't suffer any damage in the crash. Props to RTE, they make strong poo poo.

Next comes more cosmetic work now that the fuckers running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hells yeah! I'd love a 5 speed Rover

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This will be awesome.... especially when you work for the bus place :dance:

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
How much power are you making now since 190hp wasn't adequate? I know nothing about these vehicles and have no idea what they are capable of other than the photos you have posted.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I've always loved the look of these things, but have never been able to bring myself to own one as I worry about getting a basket case.

Is the cylinder layout in the outgoing engine typical of Rover engines? It seems unusual to my non British engine knowing eyes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Butt dyno throws me around 300. the p38 was technically faster as you could just hold the skinny pedal down. the 5 speed kinda sucks as you have to granny shift the big fucker.

Theres a US company advertising 300hp out of a 4.6 with just a cam. I've bumped the CR, had the heads worked over, and the intake is ported.

P38 would keep up with the new N/A sport.

E: cylinder layout? you mean with the lower intake?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
How long did it take you to do the swap?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
11 hours. including conversion of the front cover.

E: VV: like throw a supercharger on the bastard. :getin:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 20, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Mat_Drinks posted:

I've always loved the look of these things, but have never been able to bring myself to own one as I worry about getting a basket case.

Is the cylinder layout in the outgoing engine typical of Rover engines? It seems unusual to my non British engine knowing eyes.

Its just an American V8, but the trumpets on the GEMS intake was a little weak. If you trim em down by a couple of mills, it doesn't do much in the way of power bumps, but does some. Its a tiny rear end motor with 1960's technology, but can be made into a decent power house. There's lots of tricks and poo poo you can do to wake em up.

I miss my P38 pile of parts at times.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its just an American V8

Isn't it originally based on a Buick design?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:colbert: Still say it needs a diesel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
it is an evolution of the buick 215. quite a lot has changed. but yeah it GM at heart.

If it were a slushpump I could diesel it easy. 5 speed? not so much.

E: the autobox is actually cheaper to own in the long term.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Method Loser posted:

Isn't it originally based on a Buick design?

On the 3.5s you can still swap in a 300 crank out of Buick iron block, but not the other 3.9/4.0 motors There's a million other things. Me and CSB chat about that poo poo a lot in NE:AI.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
3.5, 3.9, 4.2 same guts. 4.0/4.6 same guts.
it gets weird when you involve TVR and such as they built some as big as 5.0.

I then lifted the truck and overhauled the headliner.

this is what one of these looks like with the headliner and half the trim removed.

The offending headliner.

STRIPPED. the cloth comes off easy, its the foamy sticky bullshit below it thats the nightmare. Oxyclean, dawn dishsoap, and goof off work well. scrub till your fingers bleed, then keep going.

I normally replace headliners with cloth, but since this is a truck that I'm going to use off road and throw filthy poo poo in and such, I opted for rubberized undercoating. While this was out I decided to replace the pull cords on the rear nets.

(the nets were fixed 2 weeks later, thank you ebay shipper who took his sweet time shipping parts)

see the floppy dildo of a sunvisor? yeah, when you remove the headliner these break every time, I order a bulkpack of 20 and go through em like a fat kid on pez candy. (bonus toolbox!)

LIFT AND SEPERATE
This is rather straight foward. throw out the sway bars, cut off the old shocks because the PO cross threaded them in. new cheap-poo poo rancho shocks, springs from the p38 (which this is now the 4th truck these sprigs have been installed on), and the tires from said truck.

done. wait. why does the rear end sag? Oh yeah, SE7 bullshit makes the rear fuckoff heavy. hell with it lets go break it.

First trip out I sink the fucker. To me, this is a good omen. Theres still a lot more lift parts needed, but hey it works.

loving wireless winches are AWESOME until the battery dies. CR2032 you'd think right? No. AA? nope.
12 volt garage door opener battery, guess who didnt have spares.
But I did wire it to the car battery. I now keep a pack of 5. gently caress you motoalliance. gently caress me for not having the wired switch.

next comes more off road related crap, shafts, cones, and skids.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've enjoyed watching this build on Facebook, learned quit a bit about Land Rovers!

Specifically that I'm not skilled enough to own one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought of you today... Passed a disco with both taillights 1/2 full of frozen water.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I've enjoyed watching this build on Facebook, learned quit a bit about Land Rovers!

Specifically that I'm not skilled enough to own one.

Discos are not nearly the pains in the rear end as their Range Rover equivalents. The power train is low tech but sturdy as gently caress, the frame is built like a 1 ton pickup and beam axles. Yeah, your not going to break poo poo with it. But its all the stupid little electrical things and millions of relays that piss you the gently caress off.

I should add, that the amusing part to Rovers logic, "lets put in an aluminum V8 to save weight, but instead lets use all these solid steel slabs every where else, with a few aluminum body panels thrown in"

Also FWIW, on Range Rover Classics, you can replace pretty much any body panel with hand tools. Even the roof.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 22, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Discos are not nearly the pains in the rear end as their Range Rover equivalents. The power train is low tech but sturdy as gently caress, the frame is built like a 1 ton pickup and beam axles. Yeah, your not going to break poo poo with it. But its all the stupid little electrical things and millions of relays that piss you the gently caress off.

Has anyone ever just completely re wired a Disco to the bare minimum to make it more reliable out in the field? Sounds like it would be an awful job, but at least once it's done it's one less thing to worry about.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I'm just glad you lost the mohawk :unsmith:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Has anyone ever just completely re wired a Disco to the bare minimum to make it more reliable out in the field? Sounds like it would be an awful job, but at least once it's done it's one less thing to worry about.

Yep! Its better to start with a 94-95 SD model. No sunroofs, manual seats, and simple injection.

The roof on a RRC is aluminum and held on with screws. the disco is steel and welded on. the inner body had to be built out of steel for roll over protection.

As for the mohawk, after 5 years it was time for something new. :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep! Its better to start with a 94-95 SD model. No sunroofs, manual seats, and simple injection.

The fuel injection is pretty reliable. I think my P38 with the GEMS system was actually the best part of the whole truck in terms of electronics. Actually all my electronics were fine once I replaced my fuse box. It was all the other bullshit. And the spun bearing that killed it off. I thought about rebuilding it, but the headaches were becoming to much and DD'ing a P38 is not the smartest idea.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The GEMS system is a massive improvement over the older 14cux, but 14cux can run off of 2-3 wires and some hot beer.
that said gems engine management will compensate for up to 8psi boost. The later motronic (thor) rover v8s will also do it.

Things to come. :getin:

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Looking good, shame about your P38, good motors if you can sort the electrics out - has made me miss my old Disco though, far more capable than it looks! Mine was the 300TDi though, the V8 is rather expensive to run over here.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

A couple of your Disco pictures are in my desktop wallpaper rotation - specifically the red one all cocked up in the snow, and I think in the dirt, too. Cool truck, basically :)

Are you in the SoCal area? I think I've seen you mention Pasadena and the like. Oh, Vegas, duh.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 23, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
thanks! when it warms up a little more and I sort a few more issues I'll be wheeling it a lot more.

I run to and from socal like a second home.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm still super new to wheeling, so I'm not very extreme about it yet, but if you're ever in the socal area on a weekend and feel like wheeling, let me know!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm always game to put it in the dirt. a few rover buddies are trying to talk me into running ocotillo wells.

I'll be back there right around the middle of feb.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Aww yeah, can't wait to see what you do with this one.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
Have you/are you fitting a fuel tank guard? My biggest worry (after the steering rods) was the fuel tank, hanging slightly lower than the rear chassis rails...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thats still on my to-do list. that dingleberry is worrisome at times.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thread needs more bike poo poo too. The motorized and human propelled ones.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thread needs more bike poo poo too. The motorized and human propelled ones.

well it is the biggest shitbox I own, so why not. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was gonna leave it for the weekend, but seeing as how theres camping/wheeling and some riding to do, I'll toss in the next segment.

Junkyard Driveshaft upgrade.
The rear driveshaft on discos uses a BMW like quibo thats a turd at best. I hosed mine up with a few WOT applications. Lift it, and you chew threw em like the fuel the pig drinks.

the other one is a double cardan shaft from a discovery two. BL/Rover cheaped out when this chassis was originally designed in the 70s, they cut costs and threw a single cardan in but left the angles the same. Bad news for a lift.
I tossed all new neapco joints and a centering ball in these and installed em. 2 weeks later it ate a rear diff seal. Fucker!

I ordered these things called discloation cones. They don't look like much until you actually need them.

I should add that these were terrifying to install. I don't scare easy, but when you have your fingers near sharp metal that can amputate at the fail of a jack.
Enjoy the nightmare fuel.

thats a 33" tall tire for reference, also not full droop.

Dropped a new sprocket in the FZR today. this I believe is the 9th one this bike has eaten in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

broken tooth, and WHAT THE gently caress with the chewed side. (turns out the sprocket was warped on my move to vegas, and I never noticed)

Aluminum tends to not last. Esp these little bastards that are pricey as hell and hard to get.

I was able to find a steel one from a dirtbike that would fit, although it changes my final drive from 3.08 to 2.89. I'll live with it.

Mostly back together.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

broken tooth, and WHAT THE gently caress with the chewed side. (turns out the sprocket was warped on my move to vegas, and I never noticed)

How the gently caress was this not throwing chains?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Its never thrown a chain, Its under proper tension. :v:

this was 2 years ago. I had to walk a mile to retrieve the chain. I was one pissed. off. motherfucker.90*F with all the humidity of the south. full leathers, 40lb of poo poo in a backback. Pissed. Chain loving broke. I had a full set of chain tools and links in my bag. fixed and back on the road.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.
I too just bought a red Discovery!

1998 Disco with a bad head gasket and a slushbox:

Sounds like a steam engine, it's leaking compression on the passenger's side somewhere. Currently has to interior torn apart to fix a bit of rust:

This turned out to be a quarter sized hole right at the seam for the rear door seal, there were a bunch of surface rust spots elsewhere in the floor. Carpets were all soaked,(and smell like dog), so I tore out all the carpet and padding and I'm going to bedliner the floor. Got some POR15 to seal it all first. My headliner isn't sagging yet, but I'll probably do the same thing to the roof.

As it sits:

Rear sunroof doesn't work, and leaks, but the rack keeps enough water off that the drains can handle it.

Once the floor is done, I'm going to fix the headgasket, and replace every single service item in the engine bay. What else should I do to the heads while they're off? I'm going to do all the overdue maintenance, as well as a water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. while it's apart. Pretty sure someone already replaced the rear driveshaft guibo with a u-joint. How does it ride with no swaybars? After it's back on the road I'll look at a lift, there's a very lovely green Disco that got traded at work with some very nice bumpers and skidplates I'm going to put on as well.

heyou fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 26, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yay twinsies! (yours is the 4th now that I know of in rioja, one of 3 with SE7. I'm the only 5 speed.)

machine em. have em throw in new seals. usually don't have to do a 3/5 angle grind on em.

GMB makes high flow pumps for our trucks, couple that with a generic SBC high flow T stat you can get at the parts stores. I can get you P/Ns if you want.
AB makes a hose kit, but it ain' cheap. yours should have AEL which means you get a special lower radiator hose.

It drives like a boat, but I don't really care. I'm using RTE springs, 350 fronts, 220/280 lovely progressives on the rear. I can keep it in the lane and pointing the right way up to ludicrous speed.

Keep an eye out on craigslist, theres all kinds of deals to be had, same with ebay. I snatch poo poo up all the time.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.
Let me have the part numbers, that would be awesome. I'm watching both like a hawk, I traded a customer brake work for the rack. Anything to wake to motor up would probably involve pulling the motor right? I want to get it back on the road, but Id like to make a list of stuff to do if the motor gives up. If I pulled it out now I'm worried I'd never actually get it back together.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
port the heads and toss a cam in it. that should get the 4.0 to around 200-220hp.
T-stat: MRG4364 Drill 3 little pilot holes in it.
water pump: 144-2001

stock is the top, GM is the bottom one. you can get em on the generic sbc parts pile at the auto parts store. I use a 180* one.

E: I'm in hell land, I need all the cooling I can get with my engine. If your radiator is plugged, Oxyclean the fucker.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

If your radiator is plugged, Oxyclean the fucker.

Seriously? How do you do it?

• Locked thread