Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Going 2v2 when the other guys have shields is not very fun, I will admit. Most of them spam rockets at their feet without any worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

I hope you're using this for strictly peaceful purposes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The fire ammo for beam rifles feels like it does far less than the tesla stuff. Does it have low base damage that is compensated by the dot?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

The fire ammo for beam rifles feels like it does far less than the tesla stuff. Does it have low base damage that is compensated by the dot?

Yup. The shot plus burn will do roughly what the damage stat says, sometimes it's a little more or a little less.

edit:

Mr. Jive posted:

I hope you're using this for strictly peaceful purposes.

Of course, it's no simple laser I assure you.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 27, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This game looks hilarious and I'm glad you guys knocked it to the top of the Games list. I signed up with fruit's bro code, so do I just wait for a code to punch into Steam or something now? :buddy:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My current go-to isn't much changed from the old incarnation:

For those that are curious/new to the game it is using 'sticky' and 'proximity' modifiers - turns the warheads into proximity mines when they hit something, and detonates them instantly while in flight and near enemies.
It still instakills people that don't pay attention (if all 3 hit, which is really easy to do with the triple-fire).
It still works amazingly at mining the flag for the unwary to wander into (I do this while guarding the flag in general - distract people, chase them into mines).

Secondary weapon of current choice is my old tesla pulse shotty:

Extremely effective at close range, and with the laser sight (not shown) it can be used as a medium range weapon, since the laser forces all the little glowballs to concentrate and track your target.
It works very well in conjunction with the above minelauncher, and I have more fun with it than the same arrangement with a rapid-fire barrel like so many others seem to use.

----

Fake edit:

And lest ye doubt the true glory of the character customization, allow me to scar your eyeballs:
NWSNWS

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 27, 2014

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Yardbomb posted:

This game looks hilarious and I'm glad you guys knocked it to the top of the Games list. I signed up with fruit's bro code, so do I just wait for a code to punch into Steam or something now? :buddy:

I believe you should be able to download the game for free on steam, no?
And then you use your account that you made (using the referral) to log into the game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DarkDobe posted:

I believe you should be able to download the game for free on steam, no?
And then you use your account that you made (using the referral) to log into the game.

Not that I can see? Like I go to it's page on Steam and it's just got all the :10bux: stuff listed.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Yardbomb posted:

Not that I can see? Like I go to it's page on Steam and it's just got all the :10bux: stuff listed.

That I am not sure about. Check your loadout account on the website, or your email that you used in the referral. I've never used the referral system - steam looks like it will only let you play if you buy access to the early-access aspect.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I think it goes free on Friday.

The referral code I don't think gets you in right now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't played an FPS in ages but the idea of being able to build you own guns that actually do different things sounds cool as hell. Probably going to give this a shot when I get a chance.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Riftling posted:

I played a couple of matches. The fun is there; I could see myself getting back into it if I can convince some friends to join.

The shield is still in the game? Great that it's not behind a level barrier, but if it's unchanged I'd be really surprised. At a high level back when I played, the shield was a 100% must-have item. When I'd be matched into games with lower level players who couldn't use a shield I would honestly just troll half the game meleeing people to death and still carry my team hard.

I can safely say that I rarely ever see the shield in use. The kind of people that truly wreck my poo poo and are particularly skilled at the game are using far more interesting secondary items. One particular dude who scares the hell out of me uses jump boots for greater dodging.

I personally think the shield is garbage, being that it takes extra damage from tesla - the weapon payload of choice of pretty much everyone :shepicide:

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

It's not the shield item I have a problem with, it's that the game is incredibly grindy

Still 100% disagreeing with this. I am swimming in blutes and I don't have a poo poo filled sock anywhere in sight.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 27, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I played one match and got showered in blutes. Also, you can re-use parts now, which was one reason I quit playing. Having to buy a new payload or whatever for each gun was so annoying.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm old and confused. :corsair:

Please tell me there's a way I can play deathmatch without having to go through a loving democratic process of voting over game modes with a random group of people who think shooters begin and end at team-based modes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rorus Raz posted:

I played one match and got showered in blutes. Also, you can re-use parts now, which was one reason I quit playing. Having to buy a new payload or whatever for each gun was so annoying.

The only restriction on parts is that you have to unlock them for the particular type of gun you're building. If you unlock Tesla for Launchers, you can't use that on Beams. It's still pretty generous, though.

Donnerberg posted:

I'm old and confused. :corsair:

Please tell me there's a way I can play deathmatch without having to go through a loving democratic process of voting over game modes with a random group of people who think shooters begin and end at team-based modes.

It's a team-based game, there's no free for all deathmatch mode (for now? I don't know if they even want to do one).

You should try to vote for Death Snatch whenever that comes up. The objective in that is to kill your opponents and then grab the vials they drop to confirm the kill. It's the most straightforward deathmatchy type mode.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Oh poo poo, my bad. The Quake and Unreal namedrop gave me the wrong idea. I get the connection though. At least it introduced me to a spectacular game! :getin:

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 27, 2014

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
This is a pretty fun game but I do find the server connection a bit dodgy when trying to buy upgrades and, occasionally, post match which results in me getting jack poo poo. Still, seems pretty easy to get the blutes you need to unlock most of the basic stuff on your guns and play around with plenty of options.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I can safely say that I rarely ever see the shield in use. The kind of people that truly wreck my poo poo and are particularly skilled at the game are using far more interesting secondary items. One particular dude who scares the hell out of me uses jump boots for greater dodging.

I personally think the shield is garbage, being that it takes extra damage from tesla - the weapon payload of choice of pretty much everyone :shepicide:

After playing some games with the shield, it feels a lot weaker than before. I think it's still good, especially with it regenerating so quickly you get rewarded for dodging in a fight, but not BIS anymore. It does work pretty well with a shotty - I soak up a little extra damage to get close, kill them in a couple of shots, and regenerate most of the damage back.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
So how am I supposed to get some free beta access if I am one of those unlucky few that already have an Uber account?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

ReadingZucchini posted:

So how am I supposed to get some free beta access if I am one of those unlucky few that already have an Uber account?

Bro referral links don't give free access. Free access starts this Friday the 31st. Those people who seem to be starting to play are either old beta players or crazy people like me who can't wait a week and dropped :10bux: or more.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If there's one thing that I don't like, it's how a lot of firefights degenerate into people jumping around constantly.

Also, a lot of people don't realize this, but you can melee (F). I've won a few fights because people really don't see that coming and get in close thinking they'll be okay.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Still 100% disagreeing with this. I am swimming in blutes and I don't have a poo poo filled sock anywhere in sight.

The blute rate is fine but XP for guns is a loving crawl. It doesn't help that there's always some dude with level 15+ guns and by sheer coincidence that same dude is the one going 20-0

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Is there any kind of skill-based matchmaking in this game?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Can you be a healer in this game? Is healing useful and does it give you points comparable to normal shooty gamestyles?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Can you be a healer in this game? Is healing useful and does it give you points comparable to normal shooty gamestyles?
Not only can you be a healer, but you have a ton of options. TF2-style beam, healing rockets, a healer sniper rifle, and so on. You get a lot of points for healing, and I frequently get MVP despite a so-so K:D ratio. Overhealing is a thing, and you also self-heal when healing others (which is the only way to heal yourself outside of eccentric stuff like healing rockets or bouncing projectiles off walls). You can also attach scopes that show ally HP, scopes that auto-target allies at the cost of raw healing power, and so on.

Healing grenades also exist, and there is another ammo type called "juice" that buffs speed and other stats when you hit allies with it.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
The double jump makes a player ten times more dangerous an opponent than the lovely shield. This is especially true if you use mainly launchers or heal gun and launcher.

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
How large are the matches in this game, anyway?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ReadingZucchini posted:

How large are the matches in this game, anyway?

4 vs. 4

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is there any kind of skill-based matchmaking in this game?

Yep. It always tries to put you with people of similar skill. Also if it thinks you are high skill in your current game it will put you to the worse off team.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

For people wondering about the matchmaking in the game, here is the deal:

Loadout Dev Dude posted:

The network guys rewrote the matchmaker completely a few months back, and it currently does skill-based matchmaking for both the "Casual" (normal Loadout) and "Competitive" (Annihilation game type) games. There are some different rules between the environments, as the Annihilation game type is the one that will become ranked matches and tournament play.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Traded some Dota hattes for an absolute badass pack. It won't let me redeem it, it says "This game is already in your game library", since I am in the Early Access beta.

According to the devs :

Since steam support will take too long to remove it from my account at this point, any idea if I can just wait for the game to be released and activate it then? I want that space helmet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Yep. It always tries to put you with people of similar skill. Also if it thinks you are high skill in your current game it will put you to the worse off team.

Thanks very much for the info. Looking forward to trying it out at the end of the week.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Something strange is going on in stat-land:

This gun

is according to the stats so very much better than this rifle:

It however the other way around - that rifle looks really bland and is rather cheap, but puts out a surprising amount of DPS up to med and even long distance. At pointblack range you can just spray and pray, above that you have to aim in. Not that that is a problem.

I tried out that rifle after some jerk dominated a round full of newbies with it. And it really works :shobon:

Nektu fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 28, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

New Video is Out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJPZ1voLU4

quote:

Our new Weaponcrafting trailer is live! Weaponcrafting is the brains of Loadout. Design your weapons to dominate any map, situation, or game mode! Rain down fire with Pyro, shock them to death with Tesla, keep your allies in the fight with Health, and much more. Weaponcrafting puts the choice of how to play in YOUR hands.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nektu posted:

Something strange is going on in stat-land:

This gun

is according to the stats so very much better than this rifle:

It however the other way around - that rifle looks really bland and is rather cheap, but puts out a surprising amount of DPS up to med and even long distance. At pointblack range you can just spray and pray, above that you have to aim in. Not that that is a problem.

I tried out that rifle after some jerk dominated a round full of newbies with it. And it really works :shobon:

I believe the discrepancy there is that the beam rifles measure damage in DPS - whereas the rifle is showing you the damage per bullet.
Beam rifles tend to be more damaging at high ranges, but only if you can keep the beam focused on your enemy, whereas just flicking it across them and hitting now and then won't add up to much.

One of my favourite beam rifle setups is a 'pulsing' beam: triple-shot burst trigger with a sniper barrel and slug payload - poke them in the head for one-burst kills, or a good half of their health if in the body.

Kaizer
Apr 30, 2010
Add a compact stock, swap back to standard magazine and if it suits your playstyle, swap to fire payload. For the slug rifle, that is. Tesla does more to shields and arcs if you can't aim very well. Fire is more damage but its over time and they can diveroll to put it out. People on fire also take more damage from other sources, making it a good support weapon or opener. Fire also shuts down beams, making them overheat.

I tend to run around with a launcher that's functionally identical to DarkDobe's and a tesla beam with headhunter barrel, full auto trigger, and heatsink. Aiming for the head makes up for decreased damage from tesla and heatsink. Tesla lets me take down shields and turrets quickly.

Also, I designed my beam to be good on a turret. Single shot slug with sniper barrel with standard cooling is technically better if its wielded by a human being.

Kaizer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 29, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Most of my kills have been from this, and I pretty much used the same gun when I played last year.

Pyro, agile, sticky, remote, flak. It's a one-shot if you landed a hit on someone, but it's pretty good for just shooting in the vague direction of some mook and hitting the remote to set it off in mid-air. Even if they're barely in the blast radius, the flak & pyro combo is usually a good 30-40%. Closer they get, the more the damage, with two shots being enough usually. Anyone who runs can be finished off with the Q3A-style lightning gun secondary.

Pretty decent for most of the team-based modes as well, especially that capture-point one. People just crowd around in a small area, you can practically gib an entire team in one shot.

No idea what a good K/D is in this game though.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

lovely Wizard posted:

Traded some Dota hattes for an absolute badass pack. It won't let me redeem it, it says "This game is already in your game library", since I am in the Early Access beta.

According to the devs :

Since steam support will take too long to remove it from my account at this point, any idea if I can just wait for the game to be released and activate it then? I want that space helmet.

Update - Edge of Reality (the Loadout devs) just let me just trade them the badass pack in my inventory and they activated it ingame on their end. Love em.

Also new launch trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3VCIfPKHs

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Do it properly, gawsh.

New *UNCENSORED* Launch Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3VCIfPKHs

quote:

Is your body ready? Watch the Uncensored Loadout Launch Trailer made by the guys at Rooster Teeth! It’s got F bombs, boobs, twerks, and internal organs.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

DarkDobe posted:

I believe the discrepancy there is that the beam rifles measure damage in DPS - whereas the rifle is showing you the damage per bullet.
So, the result of "rate of fire x damage" cannot be used to compare different weapon types? :raise:

DarkDobe posted:

One of my favourite beam rifle setups is a 'pulsing' beam: triple-shot burst trigger with a sniper barrel and slug payload - poke them in the head for one-burst kills, or a good half of their health if in the body.
Oh, nice idea. I will most certainly try that.

• Locked thread