Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Well, poo poo, looks like I'll be joining you all when this goes free. A good multiplayer game that isn't poopsocky that I can run on a laptop is like a loving unicorn, I swear. This looks so stupidly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Do it properly, gawsh.

New *UNCENSORED* Launch Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3VCIfPKHs

"Hey uh, what happened to your head?"

"I HAVE NO loving HEAD :supaburn:"

I can't waaaaait oh man.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
This looks like a lot of fun, will be getting it tomorrow when its out.

Any tips on what you should focus on when you get it first off ?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

pioneermax posted:

This looks like a lot of fun, will be getting it tomorrow when its out.

Any tips on what you should focus on when you get it first off ?

Use some simple guns to start, the default ones are good and you can learn how the game works with those. Pick up weapons other players drop when they die, try them out, and get an idea of what you might want to make. Jumping in blind and making weapons isn't going to do you any good, but once you get a feel for how combat works you can make some really fun weapons.

Personally I'd also recommend sticking with grenades for your support item for a while. They're very good, and the shield that everyone seems to gravitate towards is weak to Tesla weapons... which tons of people use early on because they're cheap and do splash damage.

I do recommend making a healing beam, though, if you want an easy to use healing weapon. Cheap to make(only need the health payload, don't have to change anything else) and very effective.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
It's $40 for the dong? Game ruined.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Carecat posted:

You could get the more modest hanging testicle swimming trunks for only like $7.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Official police business I assure you :whatup:

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
Can we get more weapons and writeups for why they are awesome?

This is my current primary. The damage is weak for 1v1, but in a team fight it's pretty amazing. It allows you to whittle people down with fire, can keep constant damage on jump boot users with constant midair detonations. It's a great escape weapon as you can stick mines on walls/ceilings when retreating around a corner, wait for an enemy to walk in and pop it. If the flames are allowed to persist it does about 40-60% health if they're in the middle of the flak.

This is the same weapon as someone posted above but manual detonation instead of proximity. As soon as I unlock that I'll be giving that a try.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
IMO, a launcher with a heavy barrel, for extra fun add in tesla, is the best weapon you can build right off the bat for the lowest amount of blutes. Since everyone jumps around a lot, it's very easy to aim where they're going to land and chunk them for 40-80% of their health. It also helps to jump when aiming your shot, so you can get a better angle to shoot at the ground where they are. Usually a rocket and melee attack will be enough to kill someone, maybe two melee attacks or rockets if you're missing your rockets a lot or they have a shield.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Proximity is fantastic in a lot of cases except when someone goes by at full sprint. Even with flak they will run out of the zone because the detonation takes a second.

Flak is great for anti-missile builds. Any opposing rocket passing through the field will detonate prematurely.

REMINDER:
Those of you using turrets, be sure to test out your turret when you make a new gun. The turret will adopt all the characteristics of your current gun when it is deployed EXCEPT your scope.
A sniper turret is useless because it won't aim and will fire as rapidly as possible.
SMG electric pulse works very well and so does healing rifles and beams.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Jesus, pubbies are really, really bad at this.

Also posting as a friendly reminder that the stock grenades are your friend

E: also if you're not making alliterative names your your guns based off of the names of serial killers/spree shooters then dont even bother playing

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 30, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

Jesus, pubbies are really, really bad at this.

I almost immediately got my default launcher up to a quad-launcher and it really feels like cheating. People just eat all 4 missles constantly before they can even fight back. :v:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Inzombiac posted:

Flak is great for anti-missile builds. Any opposing rocket passing through the field will detonate prematurely.

This makes perfect sense, why didn't I know this :psyduck:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

robotindisguise posted:

Can we get more weapons and writeups for why they are awesome?

This is my current primary. The damage is weak for 1v1, but in a team fight it's pretty amazing. It allows you to whittle people down with fire, can keep constant damage on jump boot users with constant midair detonations. It's a great escape weapon as you can stick mines on walls/ceilings when retreating around a corner, wait for an enemy to walk in and pop it. If the flames are allowed to persist it does about 40-60% health if they're in the middle of the flak.

This is the same weapon as someone posted above but manual detonation instead of proximity. As soon as I unlock that I'll be giving that a try.

Yeah, mine is manual. Don't bother with proximity, I don't see the use for it, as most people are going to have ran or dived past by the time it gets set off, and you can't let it rip in mid-air.

That's pretty much how it's used as well, you can kite people into chasing you just as easily as hitting them when they're running away or running past.

The super-slow propulsion does far more damage, but it's so slow that it's purely close-range.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Carecat posted:

This is easily one of my biggest complaints about the game. There's a lot of good stuff that's like $15 or more for a single item or taunt in the outfitter. Not exactly a deal breaker, but it does put me off from playing barbie past the spacebux gotten from the $10 pack.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
I know the daily prize can give you cosmetics after a while if you play for so many days in a row, but I'd like to see some way to get small amounts of spacebux so you can get some of the cheaper cosmetics just from playing the game. Maybe when the contracts come back or they start the special events they've been talking about.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

JetGrind posted:

I know the daily prize can give you cosmetics after a while if you play for so many days in a row, but I'd like to see some way to get small amounts of spacebux so you can get some of the cheaper cosmetics just from playing the game. Maybe when the contracts come back or they start the special events they've been talking about.

Honestly enough spacebux to get around the stupid 99 they slap on everything would be fine by me. There's some stuff I want that should be just a flat $5 but thanks to the 99 spacebux tagged onto everything I'd have to buy the $10 package for it.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
That sounds like SMNC style pricing that made microtransactions be... Not micro.
Here's hoping they don't continue into that pricing model as they go for launch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Heck I got the $20 pack and still needed to drop one more fiver to make my leather cop up there. :v:

Also is there some way I can like, link my account made with Fruit's referral to my Steam one where I've bought the game already?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 31, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

TyreForHyre posted:

That sounds like SMNC style pricing that made microtransactions be... Not micro.
Here's hoping they don't continue into that pricing model as they go for launch.

Unlike SMNC this is purely cosmetic, and the item in question is very specifically a very expensive item. There are plenty of much cheaper, less extravagant cosmetics items - but sorry dudes, the dick is a premium. And I'm pretty okay with it staying that way.

Yardbomb posted:

Heck I got the $20 pack and still needed to drop one more fiver to make my leather cop up there. :v:

Also is there some way I can like, link my account made with Fruit's referral to my Steam one where I've bought the game already?

I'm actually working to ask about this - it's harsh that existing friends technically can't be "Bro's" :(

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 31, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wouldn't think twice about paying 30 bucks for this game if it had a decent demo or a free weekend, but the minute I hear that someone can pay 25 bucks for a single outfit it actually encourages me to not spend any money at all. Their loss, I guess.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

When does this go Free? At midnight or sometime tomorrow?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Otacon posted:

When does this go Free? At midnight or sometime tomorrow?

At this time of posting, 17 hours, 55 mins.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I wouldn't think twice about paying 30 bucks for this game if it had a decent demo or a free weekend, but the minute I hear that someone can pay 25 bucks for a single outfit it actually encourages me to not spend any money at all. Their loss, I guess.

Again, re-iterating, there is a single item. In the game. That costs a mint. And it's a blurred out cock. It's literally the equivalent of buying a giant shining crown in a game to lord over people. There are TONS of cosmetic items that cost a pittance, and you can dress yourself up just fine on a small budget that DOESN'T INVOLVE A BLURRY DICK.

Plus, you don't need a free demo, or free weekend - the game will be 100% free to play at the time I mentioned above.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Well the thing is it's gonna be a F2P game starting the 31st, the paid stuff is just if you either really wanted in early or wanted some e-bux for silly outfits. I'm a sucker for a good dress-up shootyman game so I of course blew a little cash to get some early access + goodies. :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yardbomb posted:

Well the thing is it's gonna be a F2P game starting the 31st, the paid stuff is just if you either really wanted in early or wanted some e-bux for silly outfits.

Oh no I get it. I'm just saying that I actually would spend 30 bucks in their pay shop for different looks...if it got me more than one freakin' outfit. That kind of pricing makes me not want to bother with it at all. It's like Marvel Heroes having each character cost 15 bucks. I would probably spend 15 bucks on the game (I've had fun with it) but there's nothing that I feel is actually worth 15 dollars, so instead I spend nothing. Hope that makes sense.

Kaizer
Apr 30, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

REMINDER:
Those of you using turrets, be sure to test out your turret when you make a new gun. The turret will adopt all the characteristics of your current gun when it is deployed EXCEPT your scope.

The turret's accuracy is based on it's hip accuracy, not aim down sights accuracy. The scope determines how wide the angle of acquisition is and how far it can shoot. Remote guided rocket turrets, while hilarious, are not recommended.

Kaizer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 31, 2014

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Oh no I get it. I'm just saying that I actually would spend 30 bucks in their pay shop for different looks...if it got me more than one freakin' outfit. That kind of pricing makes me not want to bother with it at all. It's like Marvel Heroes having each character cost 15 bucks. I would probably spend 15 bucks on the game (I've had fun with it) but there's nothing that I feel is actually worth 15 dollars, so instead I spend nothing. Hope that makes sense.

If you have some free megabytes on your download plan, download Loadout when it goes live and take a peek at the store. I think you'll find you can play dress ups pretty reasonably.

Just look not upon the cock.

For those interested in possibly getting 'Bro' bonus without being a Bro, I made a thread suggesting an alternative.

For those with Loadout forum accounts:

https://www.loadout.com/forums/index.php?threads/bro-code-bonus-applied-to-friends-list.845/

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Loadout - Look not upon the dong

Actual content, game's super rad and I can't wait for it to open tomorrow so I can play with more of my friends. Gonna attempt to wreck all of the pubbies with a turbo pyro rocket.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Unlike SMNC this is purely cosmetic, and the item in question is very specifically a very expensive item. There are plenty of much cheaper, less extravagant cosmetics items - but sorry dudes, the dick is a premium. And I'm pretty okay with it staying that way.
SMNC's uniforms were all cosmetic, and the endorsements/products were only bought with the stuff you earned by playing.

A major turn-off for this game is grinding levels on weapon parts. It discourages trying out different weapons and punishes you for not playing all day. These rewards aren't much, but they add up and poo poo like an extra rocket before reloading is not insignificant.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

SMNC's uniforms were all cosmetic, and the endorsements/products were only bought with the stuff you earned by playing.

A major turn-off for this game is grinding levels on weapon parts. It discourages trying out different weapons and punishes you for not playing all day. These rewards aren't much, but they add up and poo poo like an extra rocket before reloading is not insignificant.

Yeah, but SMNC's pricing problems were mostly new Pro prices. Not cosmetic dicks.

Also, again, 'grinding' isn't a term I'd use to describe getting new parts. I have almost maxed my launcher parts from super casual play (maybe 3 games a day?) And this over a short period - while using the default machine gun to destroy people far greater level than me.

And people saying 'That extra rocket before reloading' keep saying that like it's a clear advantage - it's not. Upping the rocket count directly reduces your damage. It's isn't a clear upgrade at all.

I might sound like a massive fanboy, but I'd like to think that the feedback from people playing the game other than me preaching of 'Rolling in blutes that they aren't sure what else to do with' is a fair indication that it isn't a punishing game to play. :)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
The advantages from tuning up your weapon do mostly feel like sidegrades. There are a few exceptions, like my almost-stock rifle with high capacity mags and a spool trigger that kills stupidly quick. I can't wait to try a charge beam sniper, as well.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Yeah, but SMNC's pricing problems were mostly new Pro prices. Not cosmetic dicks.

Also, again, 'grinding' isn't a term I'd use to describe getting new parts. I have almost maxed my launcher parts from super casual play (maybe 3 games a day?) And this over a short period - while using the default machine gun to destroy people far greater level than me.

And people saying 'That extra rocket before reloading' keep saying that like it's a clear advantage - it's not. Upping the rocket count directly reduces your damage. It's isn't a clear upgrade at all.

I've been able to buy and kit out two guns but now I feel pretty much locked into them. Early on it's easy to get blute for parts from the level up bonuses, now that I'm around level 7 the levels take longer and longer and I'm looking at 10+ matches to get another gun halfway to feeling useful or fun.

As for the rocket thing they actually do end up being a lot more useful having at least a quad barrel. Every fight I've been in just devolves into jump-fest poo poo that makes rebounding/rockets the only thing worth a drat.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Luceid posted:

The advantages from tuning up your weapon do mostly feel like sidegrades. There are a few exceptions, like my almost-stock rifle with high capacity mags and a spool trigger that kills stupidly quick. I can't wait to try a charge beam sniper, as well.

Exactly. Things like upping your reload speed and clip size are balanced changes to your weapon, these aren't SMNC endorsements. You don't get things for free, the scale tips both ways when you start changing the weights on Stats.

The weaponcrafting trailer was fine to show off the absurd guns you can make, but they weren't clear in pointing out that Yes, you can have a rocket launcher that rapid fires 6 rockets, but that guy firing 1 rocket at a time will absolutely pack more punch PER ROCKET.

Game releases soon, give it a whirl and you'll find that it's exceptionally hard to find yourself properly being owned by 'item superiority' - you'll find the thing owning you is the guy/gal knows how to play.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I've been able to buy and kit out two guns but now I feel pretty much locked into them. Early on it's easy to get blute for parts from the level up bonuses, now that I'm around level 7 the levels take longer and longer and I'm looking at 10+ matches to get another gun halfway to feeling useful or fun.

As for the rocket thing they actually do end up being a lot more useful having at least a quad barrel. Every fight I've been in just devolves into jump-fest poo poo that makes rebounding/rockets the only thing worth a drat.

I am only level 8, and I have 3 weapons that cover myself enough that I feel ready for anything. I mostly tweak them as needed, the thing that frustrates me is how slow gun slots unlock. Right now the game is based around selecting 'Loadouts', which are a set of 2 guns that you have set up as a preset (you can't select a specific gun mid-match unless it's in a loadout as far as I can find) - so I have no idea why actual guncrafting slots are locked.

Also, people are jumping too much? Manual Detonation or Flak is your friend! In Loadout, more bullets doesn't always mean better. :eng101:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 31, 2014

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Mercenary Kings gun customization and the interesting gamemodes do make me incredibly hopeful for this game, my money has just been tight so I couldn't justify spending even the :10bux: to get in on the closed beta.
I just really hope it doesn't fall through like SMNC did, I know it's really not a crazy moba thing with a lovely way too early launch and bad netcode and whatever.
I hate seeing cool and interesting games losing their playerbase early due to preventable poo poo, and I just hope Edge of Reality has a good handle on it all.

My buddy since SMNC fell through has been looking for a rad rear end third person shootmans that he can play with his controller (trust me I know it sounds like he's doing himself a disadvantage but I've seen him crush dudes even in Tribes: Ascend with that freaking thing), does anyone have experience with how it works for them? It looks integrated from what I can see on the site, I just wanted to get people's thoughts on it was all.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

TyreForHyre posted:

My buddy since SMNC fell through has been looking for a rad rear end third person shootmans that he can play with his controller (trust me I know it sounds like he's doing himself a disadvantage but I've seen him crush dudes even in Tribes: Ascend with that freaking thing), does anyone have experience with how it works for them? It looks integrated from what I can see on the site, I just wanted to get people's thoughts on it was all.

If you can handle fast paced shooting with a controller, the integration is tight as hell. I played with a controller for the sake of seeing how it was and it was really fluid. Of course, I played like garbage - but that's basically how I always play with a controller in shooting games.(that aren't plod-fests like Gears of War.)

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Also, people are jumping too much? Manual Detonation or Flak is your friend! In Loadout, more bullets doesn't always mean better. :eng101:

My problem is in Loadout regular bullets don't seem to matter much at all. Especially considering no one can look straight up or down if your weapon isn't capable of AoE damage it better be a secondary to a launcher. The only rifles I've seen to do well against launchers are only the ones that can just dump out a poo poo ton of damage in a single shot at close range. It doesn't help that pretty much every objective in every gamemode takes place in mid to close range so jump fights are the norm.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm a big fan of jumping around like an idiot while spamming automatic fire and splash damage in action games. It's basically my jam. Can't wait for tomorrow's release.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

My problem is in Loadout regular bullets don't seem to matter much at all. Especially considering no one can look straight up or down if your weapon isn't capable of AoE damage it better be a secondary to a launcher. The only rifles I've seen to do well against launchers are only the ones that can just dump out a poo poo ton of damage in a single shot at close range. It doesn't help that pretty much every objective in every gamemode takes place in mid to close range so jump fights are the norm.

Not to sound pedantic, but if someone is that close to you that looking directly up/down is an issue, you're probably best commando rolling away. Also, you can actually :havlat:shoot down rockets in flight.:havlat: (obviously this is only advisable from a distinace)

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Not to sound pedantic, but if someone is that close to you that looking directly up/down is an issue, you're probably best commando rolling away. Also, you can actually :havlat:shoot down rockets in flight.:havlat: (obviously this is only advisable from a distinace)

I probably wouldn't find it to be so much of an issue if I didn't use a spooling trigger. It's just really annoying to feel like I've bought a gimmick part that is worthless in pretty much every close quarters fight ever. As for the rocket bit I knew about that, I've just never seen anyone seriously use rockets outside of close quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Try not to use rifle-type guns up close unless you're out of options. A purely default rifle is AMAZING at mid-range, where you can easily kill or take half the health off of someone trying to get close enough for a good rocket hit.

If you want EZ mode as a new player, carry a default assault rifle and a default rocket launcher. Plug them with the rifle a few times then shoot a rocket when they run in, or the opposite if you're up close. You'll kill them pretty much every time no problem.

I don't know much about spooling but AFAIK you're supposed to use it with a high-cap magazine and sit a bit back while mulching dudes with it. Probably is really good for big teamfights so you can constantly poop out bullets.

• Locked thread