Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

My problem is in Loadout regular bullets don't seem to matter much at all. Especially considering no one can look straight up or down if your weapon isn't capable of AoE damage it better be a secondary to a launcher. The only rifles I've seen to do well against launchers are only the ones that can just dump out a poo poo ton of damage in a single shot at close range. It doesn't help that pretty much every objective in every gamemode takes place in mid to close range so jump fights are the norm.

Funnily enough, I feel the opposite. Like the launcher just doesn't have enough punch to bring home the kills, while my bullet hose does the real work, and everyone is just out of my killzone plinking away while I try to close in. And don't even get me started on the goddamn blue balls, those things are going to give me PTSD due to the bot that uses them. The bots are actually better practice than the people the game is currently putting me against, drat psychic pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Unhappy Meal posted:

goddamn blue balls, those things are going to give me PTSD due to the bot that uses them.

https://www.loadout.com/forums/index.php?threads/costume-idea-i-survived-m0d3rn-bot-shirt-image.814/

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're not making Axl look like Jean Paul Tremblay then I don't even know what to say

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I've been able to buy and kit out two guns but now I feel pretty much locked into them. Early on it's easy to get blute for parts from the level up bonuses, now that I'm around level 7 the levels take longer and longer and I'm looking at 10+ matches to get another gun halfway to feeling useful or fun.

yeah I'm lvl 15 or 16 or something and I still feel this way. I'm invested heavily in rockets and I feel like I cant really try new stuff and get a good feel for it since it will all be low level compared to what I'm using now. And if you buy something that seems to work well but doesn't work in actual combat like you thought you are out a ton of butes. This is the one major weakness of this game otherwise I'm really happy with it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Yeah, but SMNC's pricing problems were mostly new Pro prices. Not cosmetic dicks.

Also, again, 'grinding' isn't a term I'd use to describe getting new parts. I have almost maxed my launcher parts from super casual play (maybe 3 games a day?) And this over a short period - while using the default machine gun to destroy people far greater level than me.

And people saying 'That extra rocket before reloading' keep saying that like it's a clear advantage - it's not. Upping the rocket count directly reduces your damage. It's isn't a clear upgrade at all.

I might sound like a massive fanboy, but I'd like to think that the feedback from people playing the game other than me preaching of 'Rolling in blutes that they aren't sure what else to do with' is a fair indication that it isn't a punishing game to play. :)
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about unlocking pieces. So far that's been a pretty smooth experience and I feel like I can unlock a few new pieces a day. Each piece, however, you unlock has a level, complete with a (long) experience bar. Like right now I have the bullet payload for my rifle, and level 2 or whatever I get some small boost like +2% hip accuracy and +1% power or whatever. You cannot buy these with Blutes or Spacebux: it's just from using that piece in matches. Magazine parts specifically increase your clip size or heat capacity, which makes a large difference when using something like rockets or bolt-action. Here's a screenshot I got off google to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Nearly every piece has an experience bar like this without the exception of equipment and, while the bonuses are very tiny, I have no idea what the max is and it feels antagonistic to the spirit of the game. Experimenting with weapons leaves you a bunch of pieces at 5% of their level (seriously, you get a pittance of exp per match) whereas a dude that sticks with one weapon will slowly get an edge over you.

Granted, I don't know how deep this system is, and maybe it just caps at level 2 or something, but I really don't see the point of having something like this in the game. I'm loving the rest of the game for the most part, but this one mechanic leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

So what am I supposed to do when some guy uses rocket boots to jump around like crazy and it's almost impossible to land any hits on said guy because he keeps popping in and out of my camera view? Can't I turn up the FOV in this game or something? I feel like this all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rRK7vlBG8A

Also the guy had a level 15 gun whereas I started like an hour ago so I don't think the matchmaking is very good.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

Ah, absolutely. I see that now - my apologies.

Keep in mind, the game has skill based matchmaking - (It isn't working too great now, as the pre-release community is pretty small) so generally if someone wants to dedicate themselves to become a crimson harvester of blood with their specific weapon specs, they will find themselves matched with a similar people.

Earnt power is added power, yes, but if it has any true noticeable advantage it will reflect in their score, that will then reflect in their matchmaking.

Minorkos posted:

So what am I supposed to do when some guy uses rocket boots to jump around like crazy and it's almost impossible to land any hits on said guy because he keeps popping in and out of my camera view? Can't I turn up the FOV in this game or something? I feel like this all the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rRK7vlBG8A

Also the guy had a level 15 gun whereas I started like an hour ago so I don't think the matchmaking is very good.

Pretty sure gun levels are weird because apparently my launcher (when viewed by others) is level 14, yet it has next to no experience and absolutely doesn't show any 'levels' when I view it. Also I can't check right this second, but I am pretty sure I saw an FoV option in the settings menu.

RE: matchmaking - see above.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I swear the game has an FOV slider.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

I swear the game has an FOV slider.

So it does! This should make it easier to actually hit something with this shotgun.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Minorkos posted:

So it does! This should make it easier to actually hit something with this shotgun.

Out of curiosity what does the slider go up to?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Out of curiosity what does the slider go up to?

I'm too lazy to take a screenshot but it felt like it went from 55 to 95 or something like that

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 31, 2014

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Neo Mara posted:

yeah I'm lvl 15 or 16 or something and I still feel this way. I'm invested heavily in rockets and I feel like I cant really try new stuff and get a good feel for it since it will all be low level compared to what I'm using now. And if you buy something that seems to work well but doesn't work in actual combat like you thought you are out a ton of butes. This is the one major weakness of this game otherwise I'm really happy with it.

If they did away with weaponcrafting requiring at least the part before the one you want to try this would help out a lot. And also allow a quick bot-match as a test option would help even more.

My terrible guncrafting decisions aside I can't wait to get some friends into this game tomorrow. It's a great game to play with friends just to see what each other makes. Plus it's a lot more enjoyable when you and a friend collapse into a charred heap and do synchronized bird flips against that one rear end in a top hat who got you.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

...And also allow a quick bot-match as a test option would help even more.

There is a test option for guns while crafting, in the bottom right there is a button labeled 'Test' that dumps you in a playground with bots with different behaviors that you can use as guineas pigs.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

There is a test option for guns while crafting, in the bottom right there is a button labeled 'Test' that dumps you in a playground with bots with different behaviors that you can use as guineas pigs.

Bots standing still and running in straight lines is really not that useful. Now if they had some bots that would swarm you while jumping or double jumping maybe. Or just a straight up normal bot match would be even better.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

It needs a bot that just hops about randomly. I've resorted to jumping around and flailing my mouse wildly to simulate actual battle conditions.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I saw some brief discussion of spool rifles in close quarters, and it's true that they can be a little tricky if you get jumped. I usually try to either have a sneaky healing turret nearby or try to soften the ambush up with a quick burst and then melee for the finish. I also can't really say I recommend any bullet type (so far) other than slug for spool guns, maybe tesla if it's working for you or if you just really can't stand shields. I was hoping pyro gatling would be a decent gimmick, but it was really underwhelming. At best, kind of good for making sure that after your target kills you, he'll probably die too.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Luceid posted:

I saw some brief discussion of spool rifles in close quarters, and it's true that they can be a little tricky if you get jumped. I usually try to either have a sneaky healing turret nearby or try to soften the ambush up with a quick burst and then melee for the finish. I also can't really say I recommend any bullet type (so far) other than slug for spool guns, maybe tesla if it's working for you or if you just really can't stand shields. I was hoping pyro gatling would be a decent gimmick, but it was really underwhelming. At best, kind of good for making sure that after your target kills you, he'll probably die too.

Yeah I have a gatling barrel, high cap mag, and spool trigger and while I don't win most of my fights, any enemies left have at most half their health left. But after seeing a friend use spooling, high cap, light assault pulse I kinda regret using rifle. Mostly because if he ever feels like it isn't working he can put rebounding tesla or fire and enjoy scaring the poo poo out of people. I also regret getting healing and juice rockets. Juice especially because it wears off so drat fast when you're the one to shoot it while the guy receiving gets to zip off without you.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

Yeah I have a gatling barrel, high cap mag, and spool trigger and while I don't win most of my fights, any enemies left have at most half their health left. But after seeing a friend use spooling, high cap, light assault pulse I kinda regret using rifle. Mostly because if he ever feels like it isn't working he can put rebounding tesla or fire and enjoy scaring the poo poo out of people. I also regret getting healing and juice rockets. Juice especially because it wears off so drat fast when you're the one to shoot it while the guy receiving gets to zip off without you.

I was running that combo earlier and wound up ditching the gatling barrel for the default assault one. The rate of fire loss isn't a big deal and you get some damage and range back. As long as a few shots stray into the head, you're golden. It also works really well on a turret, but so far I'm finding that healing turrets are the best bang for your buck.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Luceid posted:

I was running that combo earlier and wound up ditching the gatling barrel for the default assault one. The rate of fire loss isn't a big deal and you get some damage and range back. As long as a few shots stray into the head, you're golden. It also works really well on a turret, but so far I'm finding that healing turrets are the best bang for your buck.

Yeah I'm starting to feel that way about the gatling barrel too. It really just pales in comparison with the barrel before it. :rip: 2500 blutes. It's a shame the compact stock can't make up for the hip-fire accuracy loss on that thing.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Felt a burning hatred for a guy in a game today - Ultra slow remote control fire payload rocket launcher.

Then I picked it up. I now understand why he does what he does. :unsmigghh:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So how long until the free version goes out? Got a few friends that want to check this out and we're hoping to preload it while we're at work today.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Should be noon central time today.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Gonna install this when I get home from work. The thread has been very informative, and this game looks fantastic :thumbsup:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

waffledoodle posted:

Should be noon central time today.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out around that time.

moms friend from work
Mar 28, 2010
I'M THE WURST
Loadout is now up on steam for free download.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'm hitting Play as hard as I can and nothing's happening.

Edit: Restarted Steam. Downloading.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 31, 2014

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Remoted home to click install. woo come on 530!

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
played a good hour or so, weapons are fun lots of game modes though it being 4v4 is a bit "Meh" but shall see if there are bigger scale games to come!

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Every game I join disconnects during the load screen. Then it tells me use use a closer server, but I'm using EU with a ping of 8ms. I just wanna shoot dudes. :(

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I got to play 2 games and now it can't find any. I want to blow people up dammit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, the matchmaker is broken or literally everyone is doing bot matches. Ten minutes in queue without a game, and it was working just fine all week.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, the matchmaker is broken or literally everyone is doing bot matches. Ten minutes in queue without a game, and it was working just fine all week.

Yup, think they broke it. Oh well, guess I'll play something else for a while :v:

Kaizer
Apr 30, 2010
I got in just fine. Probably just need to spin up more servers.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

(from the Loadout twitter)

I think their site, and the game, are experience more of a load than they were expecting. A double edged sword, as that situation always is, but if you're having trouble right now maybe just give it a few hours, or try again tomorrow. I'm sure they'll sort this out soon.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I got a bunch of guys from work that want to play this, and its more than 4. Is there a way to setup a private 4 on 4 or will be force to go with two groups of 4 and go into the wild? i'm really hoping we can because it'd suck if we couldn't all be in a group to bust balls and futz around.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Inside Out Mom posted:

I got a bunch of guys from work that want to play this, and its more than 4. Is there a way to setup a private 4 on 4 or will be force to go with two groups of 4 and go into the wild? i'm really hoping we can because it'd suck if we couldn't all be in a group to bust balls and futz around.

8-man private/exhibition matches are something they've mentioned in promo videos a few times as if they were already in-game, so I'm guessing they're coming very soon. Right now, unfortunately, it's limited to 4.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Haven't been able to play for the last half hour or so...has anybody else gotten into any matches?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I'm extremely excited that everyone seems to be extremely excited to play this. I hope they get the heavy load under control so I can waste my weekend dive-rolling with a bazooka.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Ditto, this runs like silk for me and even shooting bots that don't fight back was fun as hell. I made terrible, terrible choices with my first guncraftings, cannot wait to start playing and earn enough to unfuck myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I don't think they expected so many players. Like, "duh" you would say but they got launch hype going in the past week many many times what I think they ever intended.

• Locked thread