Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Polsy set up a cool site that tells you if/when a bunch of people are streaming, check it out!

Welcome to the new Let's Stream megathread. Here goons can post streams of them playing games on the internet. They can be serious playthroughs, multiplayer games with friends or just streaming a game because it's late on a Saturday night and you have nothing better to do.

Feel free to post here and tell other LP goons you're streaming a videogame, or feel free to discuss streaming and any technical things regarding streaming you want.

Some FAQ for people new here:

What the hell is a stream?
It's a means of live broadcasting to the internet. Most of the time around these parts streaming implies playing videogames live on the internet. There are a bunch of sites for this: the most notable of which is TwitchTV.

How do I stream?
You can download free software such as OBS or Xsplit which will enable you to stream to various sites (also for free). Scroll down a bit further in this post and there's a bunch of guides by both goons here and major hosts for getting started, as well as some other more complex stuff if you decide to go deep.

Where did all the stream links in the OP go?
Polsy set up a cool site that tells you if/when a bunch of people are streaming, check it out!

So does the stream have to be all high-quality, serious and LP-centric?
Absolutely not. You can do an LP on stream and post it if you want, but the main draw to streaming videogames is you can chill out and have fun playing videogames with friends.

Does that mean I can stream {Game released yesterday}?
ZORAK EDIT: yes, technically. Just don't be obnoxious about it or use it as a round about way to get around a well executed Let's Play. THE THREE MONTH RULE NO LONGER APPLIES HERE

Can I stream movies with friends and post it here?
slowbeef help

slowbeef in the previous thread posted:

Hi all. Apparently, I missed some drama while I was away. I'm not gonna dredge up all of it yet, but I have to say this:

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Don't rules-lawyer with me on this; if you want to do it, you have to keep it wholly off-site, or at least this forum. I don't want it involved with the Let's Play forum at all. Even if it's a game-related movie, it doesn't belong here, and it's not kosher in CD either. I know streaming happens off-site, but you can't use the LP forum to advertise if/when you are doing this.

Laying down the law.

Hey I've got an idea for the thread and...
We'd love to hear it. Anything to make this thread more than people just posting stream links incessantly will make the thread a lot more interesting so feel free to post about it.

Now, go play some games for the internet!

User Guides
Streaming Sites: The Good, The Bad and The Livestream - by toddy.
Some details and guides for using TwitchTV's IRC service - by Vifs

Getting Started on Twitch with OBS
Getting Started on Hitbox with OBS (links straight to connection settings, but also contains a generic OBS guide for your convenience)
Getting Started on Twitch with Xsplit
Getting Started on Hitbox with Xsplit

Upcoming Events
News forthcoming. Use this space for marathons or other big stream events remotely related to LP. If you want something to be here, again, PM me.

Full stream playthroughs
Some people do full LP-style playthroughs of games on stream. I can megathread those OPs here if you just post them and let me know.

by Highwang

toddy. fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
GUIDELINES FOR POSTING YOUR STREAM HERE:

- Post a link to your stream
- Say what game/s you're playing
- Say if you're streaming now or later

DO NOT DO THESE THINGS:

- Post a donation stream without moderator permission. That's been a SA global rule for a while. They can ban your rear end.
- Repost your stream every loving hour. Holy poo poo.

I'm updating these as I realize people can't practice common sense.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 26, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Excellent, I really need to get into streaming my embarassingly large backlog.

A quick rules clarification regarding the "wait until a game is three months old" rule, this is regardless of region, correct? So if I wanted to stream some brand-new weird game that just came out in Japan I should wait until the game is three months old?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Nice, i like chill streams and chill threads. :)

Will the OP go into twitch vs hitbox vs instagib? Twitch is the major player right now, but especially for smaller audiences and chat interaction (like the streams posted in the previous thread) the delay is pretty obnoxious, so i've seen more than a few people look for alternatives.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

http://en.twitch.tv/cookedauto

I've been streaming Arma 2 multiplayer every Saturday and Wednesdays irregularly for the past few months now, mostly to be able to grab highlights from various sessions but people are free to watch of they so like.
Also been doing some on and off streaming of me playing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition as well. Without commentary as of yet.
Other than that I haven't really found anything else that I can stream reasonably well without the game on my end slowing down to an absolute crawl because of my computer getting older and older.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

univbee posted:

A quick rules clarification regarding the "wait until a game is three months old" rule, this is regardless of region, correct? So if I wanted to stream some brand-new weird game that just came out in Japan I should wait until the game is three months old?

when in doubt, PM a mod first.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Nice, i like chill streams and chill threads. :)

Will the OP go into twitch vs hitbox vs instagib? Twitch is the major player right now, but especially for smaller audiences and chat interaction (like the streams posted in the previous thread) the delay is pretty obnoxious, so i've seen more than a few people look for alternatives.

So far I already like instagib more than hitbox, simply because anything I watch on hitbox seems to degrade into a tearing mess of discolored pixels. and this did not happen when I watched supergreatfriend's stream last Saturday when he streamed from instagib.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 20, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Celebrating the new chill-endorsed thread with a super chill Dark Souls stream. Let's kill all of Lordran, with sorcery!

Join me here.

Starting now. Might do some Max Payne 3 Hardcore later.

Done for now. Thanks to everyone who watched!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 20, 2014

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

univbee posted:

If your situation is "it's only been released two months ago in Japan, but I'm American and I want to show it to other people", then yes you have to bloody wait. If it's "It came out in Russia 4 months ago but the Japanese release was two weeks ago", that's something you'd need to run by a mod. Meanwhile "It came out in America 4 months ago but it only just came out in Japan" I think is okay oddly enough. Something in the rule about the forum being mostly American. Though I'd still check with the mods to be sure.

All that said, the rule is don't announce streams here if you're doing something covered under the 3 month rule. You can stream whatever the gently caress you want as long as you don't post about your stream when you're doing it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Felinoid posted:

If your situation is "it's only been released two months ago in Japan, but I'm American and I want to show it to other people", then yes you have to bloody wait. If it's "It came out in Russia 4 months ago but the Japanese release was two weeks ago", that's something you'd need to run by a mod. Meanwhile "It came out in America 4 months ago but it only just came out in Japan" I think is okay oddly enough. Something in the rule about the forum being mostly American. Though I'd still check with the mods to be sure.

All that said, the rule is don't announce streams here if you're doing something covered under the 3 month rule. You can stream whatever the gently caress you want as long as you don't post about your stream when you're doing it.

Right, I figured as much. I don't mind either way, and in fact I think this is probably better so I can take my time with stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'll try and stream my first foray into Euro Truck simulator this weekend so ya'll can watch me bump into things and jackknife. I'll post a twitch link once I'm sure I have the stream set up correctly.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Streaming Strike Fighters 2 in about 5 minutes

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Going to relax and play some Dungeons of Dredmore. Figure I'll set it on Going Rogue (hard difficulty) with No Time To Grind, and play characters with skills yelled out in the chat. Should involve a lot of dying.

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar

wzzard
Nov 11, 2012

Boy, you sure say "damn" a lot.

Hell yeah.
It's time for some Eldritch, the only Lovecraftian First Person Sneaky Roguelite or something.

LIVE NOW!

Edit: Stream done! Back tomorrow at 2PM CST with Ultima Underworld II.

wzzard fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 21, 2014

MRMurdoc
Aug 6, 2006
I was once a young German gal.
{s}Lemonpi is streaming some more Lufia at{/s} https://www.lemonredvolution.com

It's Buck Truck time in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

MRMurdoc fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 21, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WAA HOUSE.

http://www.twitch.tv/lizardwizardmagemage

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
If you need help or just general manpower for the info in the thread, I know a lot of stuff about streaming. I can make guides if need be.

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
Streaming War Thunder with my best buds for life.

Tiny Turtle fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 21, 2014

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
I've been experimenting with ways to let my Internet Friends commentate over games without stream delay.

I made a fun diagram showing what I'm doing right now:

This awful setup works. Sort of. It has some problems, and I'd appreciate any help.

First, you may ask, why am I using OBS and not XSplit to output to Twitch? Because as soon as you start streaming to Twitch, the virtual webcam feed kicks out. I'm hoping this is just some XSplit setting I'm missing.

The commentators on Mumble don't hear game audio. I've tried looping it back through Mumble, but then they hear themselves. XSplit's webcam output doesn't seem to send audio. And the capture card is on a half second delay, so it's not synced with the video.

Because of how the Mumble audio is being looped around, I'm wearing a set of earbuds underneath my headset. It's kind of ridiculous and I probably need a mixer. Or would some sort of Virtual Audio Cable setup on Computer 1 work?

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES
Streaming some more Metal Gear Rising in a bit. Come watch!

http://www.twitch.tv/andyaml

AndyAML fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 21, 2014

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Karsh posted:

The commentators on Mumble don't hear game audio. I've tried looping it back through Mumble, but then they hear themselves. XSplit's webcam output doesn't seem to send audio. And the capture card is on a half second delay, so it's not synced with the video.

Because of how the Mumble audio is being looped around, I'm wearing a set of earbuds underneath my headset. It's kind of ridiculous and I probably need a mixer. Or would some sort of Virtual Audio Cable setup on Computer 1 work?

I don't know if I'm understanding you corrently, but the usual solution is to set up 2 Audio Repeaters, both of which send your skype and system audio to your speakers, while your system audio and skype audio are sent to 2 different Virtual Audio Cables. Then you just stream your system audio, so your stream only has the game audio while everybody can still hear everything.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Pizzatime posted:

I don't know if I'm understanding you corrently, but the usual solution is to set up 2 Audio Repeaters, both of which send your skype and system audio to your speakers, while your system audio and skype audio are sent to 2 different Virtual Audio Cables. Then you just stream your system audio, so your stream only has the game audio while everybody can still hear everything.

He wants the stream audience to be able to hear the commentators.

Read fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 21, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Read posted:

He wants the stream audience to be able to hear the commentators.

Yes, a problematic situation. You need three different audio mixes for that: One for yourself to listen to (game audio and commentators), one for your commentators (yourself and game audio), and one for the stream (game audio, commentators and you). Standard cheap audio mixer boards can't really do that, in fact it's quite hard to find something with even two proper stereo buses. However VAC should be able to do it without too much hassle.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

univbee posted:

Most people work the 3-month rule around official US releases, but otherwise the "use common sense" rule applies. Worst case ask a mod.

Karsh posted:

This awful setup works. Sort of. It has some problems, and I'd appreciate any help.

Wow. What you're trying to do requires a complicated setup regardless since you're basically trying to double-stream a game, not necessarily work around Twitch lag. If your friends can handle not having game audio and not using Twitch you could slash 80% of that diagram out.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Soon. I'm going to write up some stuff on streaming hosts and streaming software hopefully today definitely by the end of the week. I've tested with Xsplit and OBS as well as streaming to a lot of sites so I have a decent amount of comparisons to share.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Streaming Sites: The Good, The Bad and The Livestream

As of recently there has been a decently large pool of streaming services available, and it's gotten to a point where it has become hard to tell which one is the go-to for game streaming. I can't give you a definite answer, but I can compare the options and tell you which are good or bad.

TwitchTV
This is the one people are most familiar with. It used to be hands down the best but recent changes have made streaming to an actual audience border on downright frustrating. They have implemented a different protocol for sending the stream and as such you will get up to 2 full minutes of delay between the host and the client, which makes communication with an audience difficult. The issue has been addressed but Twitch staff are infamous for not giving a poo poo about the people who use their service and aren't doing anything to rectify a gaping hole in their once-excellent service. Chat runs off IRC so it can be opened in mIRC or Nettalk or what have you.
Verdict: Decent. Expect lots of this:

Hitbox
Currently in beta. Very easy to setup, complete with guides. Stream player and navigation is good (player almost exactly the same as the YouTube player so it should be easy to get used to). Chat runs off some non-IRC service that they're still working on. Very little delay between host and client. Support and community staff are actively working on making the site a Twitch-killer so we'll see what happens. People have been complaining about graphical glitches on resync but I think they've worked that out for the most part.
Verdict: Very good. Currently my service of preference, assuming Twitch doesn't get their poo poo together.

Instagib
I have no idea if this service is any good since I have yet to test on it. The page navigation and player could use some work but I've heard some goons have had success getting good streams out of the service.
Verdict: ???? I'll test this one out and give more details on it later.

Livestream
Offers custom streaming tools to make capture easy but aside from that this service blows chunks. Poor quality, annoying delay, caps the amount of viewers you have unless you get the account verified and my experience watching livestream has been non-existent since I get 2 seconds of stream and 5 minutes of loading time.
Verdict: Hell no.

Ustream
Pretty sure the only people that know this service still exists is Nintendo. It was the only thing we had back in the day, but it has changed a lot since then. They used to also have a bunch of really bad custom software that didn't work.
Verdict: Why are you still using Ustream?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Toddy, there's also a YT streaming service as well. I'm not sure what their entry demands are though, nor their performance. Maybe you can talk to people who have used the service before?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WAA HOUSE CONTINUES TO WAA HOUSE.

http://www.twitch.tv/lizardwizardmagemage

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 21, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Highwang posted:

Toddy, there's also a YT streaming service as well. I'm not sure what their entry demands are though, nor their performance. Maybe you can talk to people who have used the service before?

Oh yeah, it's a Google Labs thing. So far no-one I know has been able to get a stream going through the beta so I can't gauge the actual quality due to the weird requirements for setting it up. If it ever gets up and working I'll talk about it.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy

toddy. posted:

Oh yeah, it's a Google Labs thing. So far no-one I know has been able to get a stream going through the beta so I can't gauge the actual quality due to the weird requirements for setting it up. If it ever gets up and working I'll talk about it.

Kuvo did a stream through youtube, quality seemed pretty good but the delay on chat was pretty bad. I think the main requirement is you have to have a certain (fairly low) number of subscribers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

toddy. posted:

I've done it, but I don't think there was any semblance of a stream chat, so if you like that, try something else.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/mattyslays

Streaming CS:GO , Gold Master Nova Beard Rank

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
Gonna be streaming some Dark Souls with Always Gravelorded & Aggression mods enabled.
I've got a couple of friends to make fun of me as I die a bunch.
http://www.twitch.tv/subujun

End of stream for now, made progress through Sen's to the second fire in Anor Londo.

subujun fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've been thinking about streaming Monster Hunter 3U; is there a guide to getting a Wii U (or other console, for that matter) streaming through OSB?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've been thinking about streaming Monster Hunter 3U; is there a guide to getting a Wii U (or other console, for that matter) streaming through OSB?

I used OBS's window capture to capture the window that my capture device puts on my screen then cropped it to size when streaming the WiiU. It's the same way I stream the Xbox One

Feel like listening to music though so Adiosurf

Warmal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 21, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have a HD PVR for capturing off of consoles, I could write a guide up for how to do it sometime. There's a few ways to do it, actually.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

http://www.twitch.tv/cannoness

Continuing Chrono Cross.

Voting is still up for next game but since classes begin tomorrow I won't be streaming except on weekends for the remainder of the semester.

Also that's enough for tonight!

Arus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Warmal posted:

I used OBS's window capture to capture the window that my capture device puts on my screen then cropped it to size when streaming the WiiU. It's the same way I stream the Xbox One
What's a good/cheap capture device?

toddy. posted:

I have a HD PVR for capturing off of consoles, I could write a guide up for how to do it sometime. There's a few ways to do it, actually.
If you did, I'd appreciate it. :)

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's a good/cheap capture device?

I got my Haupauge HD PVR gaming edition for $120 CAN. The tech support fort has a list of some I believe.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for the ideas, guys--I'll try messing with VAC tomorrow. I'm already in way too deep to stop working on this monstrosity of a streaming setup now.

I'm streaming my Spelunky daily: http://www.twitch.tv/redcoin (I do this every night)

Karsh fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 21, 2014

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
Streaming some Surgeon Simulator 2013, just picked it up and I have never played before.

edit: being a doctor sucks, stream over

Vifs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

ChaosArgate posted:

I've done it, but I don't think there was any semblance of a stream chat, so if you like that, try something else.

I've been doing my streams through YouTube as the quality is better then doing them on Twitch and then uploading them to YouTube; Twitch has a nasty habit of losing my past streams. I haven't experienced any delay between my mic audio and the stream video, there is the normal eight or so second delay on the stream (unless you manually set it higher on your encoder) that you'd see on Twitch. There is also a live chat window that viewers can type in during the stream though I don't think it has the option to 'pop out' like Twitch does but I run multiple screens so this isn't a concern for me at least. YouTube also has a few features I rather like such as scheduling events which your subscribers will see and be reminded of via your Google page and during streams you can pop in pre-made messages, like if you're doing a long stream and need a piss break you can set up a slideshow (I use my Steam screenshots directory with some random .mp3's) for viewers to watch while you're away.

• Locked thread