Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Never gamble when there's angels about. Especially when they're of an undetermined rank and it is unclear whether or not they have back-up coming. And yeah, you can use your cult status to try and back up the fact that you are human. Just try not to let it find the guy you stole your face from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You know, it's no wonder this cult hosed up that ritual like they did, since it seems none of them are smart enough to know what "gather your brothers" means. Oh well, hopefully they'll buy enough time for me to wipe my trail clean before they get eviscerated.

(You know, I was going to ask if I could get a willpower for fulfilling my vice by making it out of the warehouse without killing anyone or causing any permanent damage, but then I went and convinced some mooks to pick a fight with a death angel.)

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GoatLord posted:

You know, it's no wonder this cult hosed up that ritual like they did, since it seems none of them are smart enough to know what "gather your brothers" means. Oh well, hopefully they'll buy enough time for me to wipe my trail clean before they get eviscerated.

(You know, I was going to ask if I could get a willpower for fulfilling my vice by making it out of the warehouse without killing anyone or causing any permanent damage, but then I went and convinced some mooks to pick a fight with a death angel.)

Well, they do want to fight the heretical god really badly. They're kind of like excitable school girls waiting for the latest boy band album in that regard, easily forgetful of many things not related to their mission.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
You'd think they could at least start frantically texting their friends.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GoatLord posted:

You'd think they could at least start frantically texting their friends.

"pls hlp bffs. lugus under attack. brng guns."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Anyway, I hope you guys are having fun and if you aren't, let me know so I can try and fix that. Your experience matters as much as mine, maybe even more.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm having a blast.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Same here! I think things are going marvelously!

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm really enjoying myself! Stuff's getting tense and supernatural and weird, and there's stuff moving in the background beyond the immediate mission.

I think i'm in the same area as Redactor right now, or am I not? Can he hear what's happening?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Honestly I'm finding this hilarious. The strange way things are working in our favour is fun in and of itself. But also how we're dysfunctional effective in our missions is pretty great too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Honestly I'm finding this hilarious. The strange way things are working in our favour is fun in and of itself. But also how we're dysfunctional effective in our missions is pretty great too.

It's pretty much the only way to survive right now. My philosophy for this game is to put you in situations where it would be exceedingly lethal to be outright and direct. Like, for instance, if Mr. Bright had theoretically tried to attack the Angel with his fists or something, he would currently be smeared across the floor of that room. But, by manipulating it into hunting down the cultists for him (which it probably would've done anyway had it got done with killing Malediction because these cultists are gently caress-ups), he helps move the mission along, creates an interesting scenario, and covers for his team mate.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

SunAndSpring posted:

My philosophy for this game is to put you in situations where it would be exceedingly lethal to be outright and direct.

It's difficult being a combat-focused character in the situation you just described. I can't manipulate people or anything since I built a combat-focused character, and it feels like Ilaniel is going to be a set piece more than a player character until we're all rewarded enough experience to be able to get together enough power to fight things. That's a pretty unpleasant situation to be in.

That said, I'm enjoying reading along and I'm really curious to see where this is going.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

It's difficult being a combat-focused character in the situation you just described. I can't manipulate people or anything since I built a combat-focused character, and it feels like Ilaniel is going to be a set piece more than a player character until we're all rewarded enough experience to be able to get together enough power to fight things. That's a pretty unpleasant situation to be in.

That said, I'm enjoying reading along and I'm really curious to see where this is going.

Don't worry too much. I won't gently caress you over in combat if you play it smart. You've got to be methodical and strategic in your fights. Set things up so that by the time bullets start flying, you've already assured your victory. Going back to the whole "What if Mr. Bright fought the angel?" scenario, if Mr. Bright had set up an interesting way of attacking the monster, I would've rewarded it. Like, say he used Cause and Effect to knock a beam from the roof loose to squash the big bug. I would've said, "Ok, you toss your ball at the loose beam, knocking it loose just enough so that it falls and knocks the roach on its head because it wasn't expecting that."

Basically, be Batman.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 13, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I wish I had known before I spent 2 embeds, 3 skill points, a specialization, and a modification on shooting poo poo with a gun :shrug:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

I wish I had known before I spent 2 embeds, 3 skill points, a specialization, and a modification on shooting poo poo with a gun :shrug:

Who says you can't be tactical with guns? Take cover, set up smoke screens, traps, snipe people, etc.

But, like I said, don't worry. I'll make cool stuff for you to do. I'm not going to gently caress over one of my players for the sake of my own vision/wants/desires/self-masturbation.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2014

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I think QN's meaning is, tactical slyness is one thing but when a player has spent the same amount of their character creation resources on straight combat as another has on say, stealth and hacking, you should probably work balls out Matrix-style lobby shootouts into the game about as often as sneaking into the mainframe.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Seriously though, get yourself a sniper rifle, find a nice rooftop, and wait for that kill angel to step outside the building.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

I think QN's meaning is, tactical slyness is one thing but when a player has spent the same amount of their character creation resources on straight combat as another has on say, stealth and hacking, you should probably work balls out Matrix-style lobby shootouts into the game about as often as sneaking into the mainframe.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. There will be crazy shoot outs. Might even be one right now.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. There will be crazy shoot outs. Might even be one right now.

Might be? Also, it's the best kind of shootout, the kind where you want both sides dead.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I like how you're writing the angel Bright's dealing with a lot, the contrast between the stilted mechanical/code language humans aren't supposed to hear followed by Cool Gruff Badass Enforcer lines made from assembling TV clips is a really striking visual (audible?).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Here's a question: I may have just gotten something jumbled up in my brain from reading one massive document at once, and but somehow I got it in my head that Demon's don't regain willpower from sleeping like humans do. Or am I getting my wires crossed with Vampires?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GoatLord posted:

Here's a question: I may have just gotten something jumbled up in my brain from reading one massive document at once, and but somehow I got it in my head that Demon's don't regain willpower from sleeping like humans do. Or am I getting my wires crossed with Vampires?

Think that's Vampires.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
loving hell, Quantum, why are you opening fire on the people that are going to fight the angel?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
He said he was gonna shoot me! And I don't want to get shot!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Does Down and Dirty apply to the current combat? If so, I am going to use Merciless Gunman to murder the people coming down the hallway.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

Does Down and Dirty apply to the current combat? If so, I am going to use Merciless Gunman to murder the people coming down the hallway.

Sure. These guys aren't exactly Big Bads or a strategic team, so for all intents and purposes, they're cannon fodder.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm on the fence about whether it's enough of a lead to fulfill that aspiration, but knowing that the GM is aware of it and it's apparently connected to Apollon is a start. Somehow learning about Ilaniel's encounter with the other angel probably would be more concrete. Mostly I just want to get a beat in a supernatural scene so I can start asking about my Cipher, so it's probably too gamey a motive :v:

e: sorry for not recording it, i'm already Inspired from the memory theft for rolls relating to extracting knowledge if the conditions don't stack. Is there an alternative reward for exceptional successes?

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 14, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

I'm on the fence about whether it's enough of a lead to fulfill that aspiration, but knowing that the GM is aware of it and it's apparently connected to Apollon is a start. Somehow learning about Ilaniel's encounter with the other angel probably would be more concrete. Mostly I just want to get a beat in a supernatural scene so I can start asking about my Cipher, so it's probably too gamey a motive :v:

e: sorry for not recording it, i'm already Inspired from the memory theft for rolls relating to extracting knowledge if the conditions don't stack. Is there an alternative reward for exceptional successes?

Take a beat for having the exceptional excess then.

Cambrinus
Jan 3, 2007

The Duke of Beer
Am I in my car, heading towards the entrance, or have I parked it?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cambrinus posted:

Am I in my car, heading towards the entrance, or have I parked it?

Near the entrance, having just parked it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'd like to declare a short term goal: Arrange for someone to kill Smith's vampire rival.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
All you have to do is ask. :3:

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Baby Babbeh posted:

I'd like to declare a short term goal: Arrange for someone to kill Smith's vampire rival.

I'm pretty sure that he's going to ask me to do that in exchange for the aether he gave me. :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Baby Babbeh posted:

Go for it.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So is everyone completely delusional in addition to being incredibly paranoid, or did I miss the part of the book that mentioned demons leaking some sort of energy trail wherever they go, even when in cover? Wouldn't that make cover completely pointless?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GoatLord posted:

So is everyone completely delusional in addition to being incredibly paranoid, or did I miss the part of the book that mentioned demons leaking some sort of energy trail wherever they go, even when in cover? Wouldn't that make cover completely pointless?

Well Smith is an Inquisitor so he is paranoid by default, but the angel knows what your demonic form is and a general description of the Cover you were wearing while you alerted. Combined with the fact that the doctor drove a really nice (and thus easily identifiable) car to get there, and that the Cover you wore to get in there was an actual person and not just some made-up person means it can quite easily use normal means of investigation to hunt you down. Sorry if I made it sound like something else.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So kill the bartender, got it.

e: Presumably I didn't get out of the car where anyone could see me, and Bobby should have left the state.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 18, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
It occurs to me that having a cameraman in the traditional sense doesn't really work out for a newspaper job. So is Sarah Ilaniel's photographer, then? Is it okay if we retcon that into making sense?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

QuantumNinja posted:

It occurs to me that having a cameraman in the traditional sense doesn't really work out for a newspaper job. So is Sarah Ilaniel's photographer, then? Is it okay if we retcon that into making sense?

That's what I figured you meant, so go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Edit: misposted

• Locked thread