Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What is this?

This is a mod for Civilization V: Brave New World, by Vice Virtuoso. It turns Militaires Sans Frontiers, Big Boss's mercenary company, into a new civ for the game. Functionally, it's like Venice, in that you have only one city, but instead of double trade routes, you gain money by hiring out your soldiers as mercenaries to poor little city-states who need your muscle.

There's more to it than that, but I'll explain as we go.

It is totally awesome.

So, let's begin, shall we?

Updates:

1. Not in Costa Rica Any More
2. An Army Without Funders
3. Time To Get the Party Started
4. Time To Tech Up!
5. What Lies Beneath the Base?
6. Montezuma Boss Fight
7. Revenge!
8. UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE
9. Into Assur
10. Ashurbanipal Boss Fight
11. Something… New
12. Attila the Hun Boss Fight
13. Genghis, old buddy!
14. Death!
15. Alexander Boss Fight
16. Time for Peace…right?
17. Storm of Spears.
18. Old Familiar Faces
19. Shaka Boss Fight.
20. The World's Watchdog
21. Fleet of the Damned
22. Genghis Boss Fight
23. The City of Lights!
24. Napoleon Boss Fight?
25. Into Neo-Mongolia
26. Just Before The End
27. Napoleon Boss Fight for Reals?

Interlude: Madoka Magica Mod!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

SNAKE RETURNS!

28. Here we go again!
29. An unexpected face
30. Progress!
31. The Quest for Thorazine
32. Don't be a hero!
33. Caesar Boss Fight!
34. War Runner
35. Pyramids of Power!
36. Nobunaga Boss Fight
37. The Seeds of Death!
38. He cannot tell the truth!
39. The Face of Evil!
40. Washington Boss Fight
41. Maria's True Face
42. Maria Boss Fight
43. Destroy Everything!
44. So, you like Castlevania!
45. Vlad Boss Fight
46. Walking the Road to Peace
47. The POWER of DEMOCRACY!
48. Who stole our nation!?
Part X: Endless Snake
49. A Phantom is Coming
50. Nebuchadnezzar Boss Fight
51. We talk (A LOT) about the truth!
52. Hello again, old friend. (Final Fight!)

Interlude 2: Other MGS Civs

Ocelot!
Armstrong!

The Conclusion!

53. The End is never The End
54. EPILOGUE

Art

Adnor:

Montezuma vs. Snake:

John Livor:

Captain Fargle:

Galaga Galaxian:

Otchokachoi:

Bro Enlai:

Alkydere posted:

A single ship flounders into port, as much by the tide as against it despite the torn and burned sails not being manned. The flanks of the ships are littered with gaping holes, the center mast is half broken and leans against the spars of the foremast, the decks and hull below the scuppers are stained with blood. Despite the visibly missing rudder and a seeming lack of a single living soul aboard the ship it gently floats up to a dock as if driven by an unearthly force. A loud whinny shatters the hushed silence of the docks and a noble charger leaps from the deck to the wharf below, snorting and almost fighting at its reigns, obviously only held back by the larger-than-life rider atop of it.

Where is the man who calls himself Snake? I will not be kept from my appointment.

Vicevirtuoso posted:

PACHACUTI! Show yourself!

A single light illuminates the dark hallway. The shaded form of the Incan monarch stands with both hands behind his back.

Snake. You are one of the most peculiar Pachacuti I have ever met. But that is a great thing. I have a most peculiar way of settling our differences which I have always wanted to try. That arrogant Babylonian bastard refused to indulge me in this means of combat...but perhaps you will.

What the hell are you going on about?!

Suddenly, the single light is joined by a multitude of colored, strobing lights, all from a structure placed in the center of the room. A large, bright screen flashes vibrant colors while its speakers blare out fast-paced music. In front of those speakers and that screen lied a platform on which Pachacuti stood, with two distinct halves. Each half contained four panels, each with an arrow pointing in a different direction.

Snake...let's dance.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 1: Not in Costa Rica Any More

Kaz…Kaz, where the hell are we? I remember there was a huge storm…Mother Base got wrecked…

That's what it looks like, Snake. What's left of the base, and our army, got washed up on shore…somewhere…

How's it look?

Pretty bad. All our guns are broken and we don't have any ammo, but our boys and girls have improvised some primitive clubs, and we still have our knives. One of them…Alligator, I think… also managed to fashion some primitive bows. One upside, though: our radios are working just fine and we've got lots of batteries for them, so we can keep in contact over distances.

Great. Well, let's send everyone out on recon, and let's see if we can turn this pile of scrap into a new base.

Alligator found us another pile of salvage! This whole land seems like it's covered in miscellaneous junk.

How big was that storm?

We've got lots of fighters but none of our usual recon soldiers. I'll have to train up some dedicated scouts in case we need our archers and club guys to guard us. After that, I guess we can work on making this place prettier so we can start really organizing.

Snake, we found more lost guys in that wreck! And Chico, too!

Snake! I thought we were all alone here. Our whole base got sucked up into the sky. It was like we were in The Wizard of Oz!

Yeah, I know. I hope we don't find any flying monkeys out there…

But that would be totally cool if we did, wouldn't it?

Look, let's worry about finding mythical monsters after we get ourselves squared away.

I'm thinking what we need to focus on is basic food gathering and storage. Also some kind of monument to the dead guys…we lost a lot of people to that storm, and the closure would be good for morale.

We found some sort of treasure trove in another pile of junk. Weird, I don't recognize this currency.

Money's no good unless we can trade it with someone. Keep looking around, guys!

Marmot Group found a camp full of really scary-looking savages. We…might be able to trade with them, but the huge piles of skulls and spears they've got around their camp suggest otherwise.

Snake! Someone else found one of our communicators! We've got a transmission coming in on Cecile's channel.

Finally, some good news! Cecile, what's your status?

"Cecile?"

So, these artifacts can send voices through the air faster than a bird flies, I see. Interesting. Know this, strangers! You are in the lands of Montezuma, lord of the Aztecs, the most fearsome warriors in the world!

What?!

Do not interfere in our affairs, and the price of blood shall be slight. I suggest drawing straws now to determine who among you will be sent to us for the next sacrifice. If not, we shall take what the gods demand.

…what the hell? WHERE ARE WE?!

To Be Continued

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 20, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I have no idea what is going on, but I'm pretty excited for whatever it is

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I saw you posting about this in the Civ V thread and it is turning out to be just as good as I thought it would. :allears:

What settings are you using?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cathulhu posted:

I saw you posting about this in the Civ V thread and it is turning out to be just as good as I thought it would. :allears:

What settings are you using?

King Difficulty to make things interesting, Standard size and Speed, Fractal landmasses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I cannot wait to see where you go with this, because I think it will be the best kind of ridiculous. :allears:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, this looks amazing.

Gonna be following the gently caress out of this one.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Was not showing the City name by design or accidental?

Also jumping on the this is awesome bandwagon.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Senerio posted:

Was not showing the City name by design or accidental?

It's behind the tooltip on the fourth image.

Also, this is definitely going to be interesting.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Speedball posted:

…what the hell? WHERE ARE WE?!

To Be Continued

This is going to be a thing of beauty.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Are you just going to use Big Boss when it comes to Mod Civs? Because Big Boss having to contend with the likes of Andrew Ryan, Princess Bubblegum, and Dr. Robotnik would be even more silly. :haw:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 21, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Welp, now I have another thread to read on the pile. Dagnabbit Speedball.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I am already downloading the mod, and the game has barely started. Looking forward to more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Big Boss. And Monty. This is going to be something special.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Green Intern posted:

I am already downloading the mod, and the game has barely started. Looking forward to more.

Snake? Snake. SNAAAKE.

Also, the base is Mother Base. It says on the screen when he builds a scout.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Civ V mods have come a hell of a long way since the last time I looked at them. I thought having a clock on screen was fancy. Gotta follow this to see how things shake out.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
This is one of the best ideas I have seen.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

Where do I get this mod. I need this in my life and I've only played 30 minutes of Civ5 before.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
My first reaction was that this felt like fan fiction where someone merges two of their favorite things no matter how dumb the result is.

Then I realized: that scenario would not be out of place in a Metal Gear game, especially Peace Walker. And I'm ok with that.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

dscruffy1 posted:

Where do I get this mod. I need this in my life and I've only played 30 minutes of Civ5 before.

It can be found in the Steam Workshop for Civ V.

There appear to be two versions: one which is intended for Brave New World (the Subsistence Version, which this LP is using), and one which is compatible with both Gods and Kings/Brave New World.

The Unique Ability is different between the versions. Subsistence has the Venice traits, plus the gold and palace boost from posting soldiers in city states. The other version gives you +1 Spy, and a happiness boost from the military building chain.

The Original Version: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146684345

Subsistence: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169564537

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

YeOldeButchere posted:

My first reaction was that this felt like fan fiction where someone merges two of their favorite things no matter how dumb the result is.

Then I realized: that scenario would not be out of place in a Metal Gear game, especially Peace Walker. And I'm ok with that.

I'm going to make it even more Metal Gear than it already is. You'll see. Hahahahaha.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I can't help but to read Big Boss's lines in David Hayter's voice. And it is glorious. Looking forward to this one.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 2: An Army Without Funders

I know where we are! The Land of the Lost!

Huh?

It's a new show I just saw--a family falls through a time warp and lands in a place full of lost things. Lots of dinosaurs and reptile-men! I love it!

I see. How did they leave?

Leave? I don't think they ever do. If they did the show would be over, just like Gilligan's Island.

Great…well, in either case, we've got Aztecs breathing down our neck. That can't be good.

It'll all be worth it if they have dinosaurs here!

Chico, we already went to an island full of dinosaurs, remember? And I killed them all.

Hey! These assholes just raided one of those salvage dumps we were going for!

Better watch out--they're wearing jaguar headdresses. Aztecs only gave those out to the fiercest possible warriors--to qualify for Jaguar you had to hunt down and kill three other badasses.

My life is crap.

Oh, good! Our archer team found a bunch of axes and picks in a pile of rubble. We should be able to supply Mother Base better now once we can cut stone and wood.

We'll worry about outfitting miners and lumberjacks after we're done with the basic stuff around the base, though.

Hey! These savages are sending guys to attack us! Permission to engage!

Go for it, Marmot! You've got 'em flanked. Raid their camp for valuables when you're done.

Good work! Your new code name is Howler Monkey! More money…we sure as hell aren't going to be able to barter well with Montezuma. Is there anyone else here we can trade with?

Actually our archer team just found someone else!

Huh. Free money. How…nice of them.

They say that's thanks for blowing away those barbarians nearby--and they want more protection. Strange…"Valetta" is the capital city of Malta.

I knew it! We are in the Land of the Lost! Dinosauuuurs, come out, come out, wherever you are!

They're eager for more help. They say that for every day we have soldiers stationed in their borders, we'll earn money.

Not very much money…

They'll pay us more if we earn their trust, Snake. And we can work out better payment plans in the future. What's even better is, their city was built out of salvage just like ours--they say they'll trade us the leftover bits of technology and things they don't understand for guard duty too. We'll be able to really rebuild Mother Base if that happens.

There's another way we could rebuild Mother Base too. If there are other settlements made out of salvage, storming the joint and raiding it would probably help out. Not these Maltese folks, of course. I mean the assholes who want us to donate blood.

I'm thinking we'll need a dedicated training facility first. That should be pretty easy to whip up. Don't worry about that too much, Boss--you can build whatever other improvements you want on your own. Let me handle the salvaging of technology.

I don't mind guard duty too much. Sure, it's boring, but I need time to rest and heal my wounds. Those barbarian clubs hurt.

We've got pots and stuff…let's see if we can't try to tame some of the wildlife around here. I saw a herd of cows not far from here. I guess I should get around to assigning some people to be our construction crew too, soon. Man, we're seriously digging our way out of the Stone Age one step at a time here.

Mother Base is already upgraded? Fast work, Kaz. What's next on your agenda?

A better command center. Just something to direct the overall gathering of resources more efficiently.

We can't really see the city directly, but we know it's there. Those Aztecs are going to chew us up soon if they can. One of the scouts said he saw them getting ready to spread to more areas.

Sir! We've gotten in contact with another, uh, leader!

Please be Enik, please be Enik, please be Enik…

Shaka Zulu?! "Run-fifty-miles-and-fight-a-battle" Shaka Zulu?!

Aw, jeez. Someone out there hates us.

To be continued!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Let me guess: Attila, Genghis, and then possibly Alexander, Napoleon, and Oda are hanging around, too?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

This is going to be fantastic no matter what, but please let there be more modded civs out there. A hearty 5 and follow, Speedball.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So basically he is surrounded by legendary warriors.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I have no idea where this is going, but I've already downloaded the Mods.

This will be GLORIOUS.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Hyped as heck.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So Shaka, Montezuma, and Snake walked into a bar.

there were no survivors

I love watching Civ threads, because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with tactics or strategy games so it's always interesting insight. Also, never having played Peace Walker, I can't wait to see how weird this can get :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Administrative note: there is a big bug with this mod: moving new soldiers into protected City-states doesn't update the gold you should be getting until you mouse over the gold display (or some other unspecified trigger happens). Just something to keep in mind.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Shaka Zulu?! "Run-fifty-miles-and-fight-a-battle" Shaka Zulu?!

To be continued!

I wonder who's going to be the codec call for info on other civs.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Are... are cyborgs an endgame unit in this mod?

RULES OF NATURE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
I’m interested in seeing how balanced this civ is.

Venice can pull off the puppet empire gimmick because its extra trade routes compensate for its drawbacks quite effectively.

Stationing units in city‐states doesn’t sound like a winning strategy, but maybe I’m biased from playing on difficulties where the city‐states occupy every hex with their own units anyway.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I really need to see where this goes. Great LP idea, well-executed so far.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Love the idea, loving the LP so far.

Platystemon posted:

I’m interested in seeing how balanced this civ is.

Venice can pull off the puppet empire gimmick because its extra trade routes compensate for its drawbacks quite effectively.

Stationing units in city‐states doesn’t sound like a winning strategy, but maybe I’m biased from playing on difficulties where the city‐states occupy every hex with their own units anyway.

On a lower difficulty, if you focus on military buildup and play aggressively, you can run away with the game. The bonuses Mother Base provides become ludicrous and all stack. Grabbing the Terracotta Army is basically an instant win.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kudos for actually sounding like metal gear radio conversations, particularly the part where Kaz just jabbers on about dumb trivia! The only inaccuracy so far is that the trivia's not entirely Japan focused.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Cythereal posted:

...Let me guess: Attila, Genghis, and then possibly Alexander, Napoleon, and Oda are hanging around, too?

. . .and Catherine.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Wait, what was the game where Snake killed an entire island of dinosaurs?! I want in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tupperwarez posted:

. . .and Catherine.

Catherine? She's usually pretty harmless unless you piss her off, in my experience. I'd have suggested Hiawatha or Ashurbanipal if I'd continued suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Beamed posted:

Wait, what was the game where Snake killed an entire island of dinosaurs?! I want in.

Peacewalker has a Monster Hunter tie in.

• Locked thread