Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
Reading Korean comics is strange; since it looks like manga and your mind says "right to left" you end up reading it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I don't find this is as much a problem, since they are mostly arranged panel-by-panel, so you can just read whatever few speech bubbles are and move down the page to the next.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I don't find this is as much a problem, since they are mostly arranged panel-by-panel, so you can just read whatever few speech bubbles are and move down the page to the next.

Webtoons, sure. Actual korean manwha though basically just look like manga, except left-to-right. Gets hella confusing if you switch between reading manga and manwha rapidly due to new chapters and the like.

/edit:
Here's an example of a korean manga. It wasn't flipped, it's scanned as-is, minus translation of course.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 15, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can't decide if this is the best webtoon/manwha or just the BEST WEBTOON/MANWHA. It's just so very, very good.

My own personal preference is for melee characters so I'm a bit disappointed he's not becoming an ungodly powerful swordsman, though. I'm big on high-defense medium-offense characters. Which is one reason I'm somewhat stoked for the upcoming Crusader class in Diablo 3.

ANYWAY.

He ought to level up Fool's Act, status effects can be super-powerful in some games. Confusion especially can be crazy good depending upon the game.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

khy posted:

He ought to level up Fool's Act, status effects can be super-powerful in some games. Confusion especially can be crazy good depending upon the game.

Swagger! :argh:

That makes me think, though. How long till he gets some weird animal as a pet to fight alongside him? Or it could start off as a normal animal and grow into some exotic thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HenryEx posted:

Webtoons, sure. Actual korean manwha though basically just look like manga, except left-to-right. Gets hella confusing if you switch between reading manga and manwha rapidly due to new chapters and the like.

/edit:
Here's an example of a korean manga. It wasn't flipped, it's scanned as-is, minus translation of course.

What's that one?

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

khy posted:

I can't decide if this is the best webtoon/manwha or just the BEST WEBTOON/MANWHA. It's just so very, very good.

My own personal preference is for melee characters so I'm a bit disappointed he's not becoming an ungodly powerful swordsman, though. I'm big on high-defense medium-offense characters. Which is one reason I'm somewhat stoked for the upcoming Crusader class in Diablo 3.

ANYWAY.

I'm guessing the author choose to go mage because its just more visually interesting to give the character magic rather than swinging a sword.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Chaos341 posted:

I'm guessing the author choose to go mage because its just more visually interesting to give the character magic rather than swinging a sword.

Oh I dunno about that, badass swordfights are fairly common and usually enjoyable.

Plus make him a super-strong tanky guy and he'll be doing poo poo like blocking the legion zombie's attacks with one finger and ridiculously over the top stuff like that!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I have no opinion on strong vs magic with characters, but I really liked the justification for why he went mage. Yeah, Intelligence is always the magic stat, and IS way more useful in modern society than being able to lift a couple thousand pounds. I expect him to maybe branch out more from Int once he starts getting more in the Abyss, and stronger things start coming his way.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

I have no opinion on strong vs magic with characters, but I really liked the justification for why he went mage. Yeah, Intelligence is always the magic stat, and IS way more useful in modern society than being able to lift a couple thousand pounds. I expect him to maybe branch out more from Int once he starts getting more in the Abyss, and stronger things start coming his way.

Fair enough. New question : I wonder what would happen if he started messing around with the sound and graphics sections in the Options pane? I'm thinking turning the sound down would make him deaf, while messing with graphics would cause vision problems.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I think Save/Quicksave would be the most powerful ability ever once he learns to use the game menu properly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I think Save/Quicksave would be the most powerful ability ever once he learns to use the game menu properly.

MMO's don't have quicksave.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
The real question is what the death / respawn system is.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

MMO's don't have quicksave.

I'm not convinced that his system is an MMO-based one. It reminds me more of Skyrim than anything else!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

What's that one?

Pretty sure that's Immortal Regis. It ended a while ago and is continued after a timeskip in Cavalier of the Abyss. I'm not sure if Cavalier is still being published or translated though, I haven't seen an update in a little while.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm not convinced that his system is an MMO-based one. It reminds me more of Skyrim than anything else!

He enters instances and grinds. He can get titles and bonus stats through completing arbitrary undocumented actions. Crafting is terrible. The only way it could be more like a korean MMO is if there was a cash shop and numerous bugs which are never patched out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serious Frolicking posted:

He enters instances and grinds. He can get titles and bonus stats through completing arbitrary undocumented actions. Crafting is terrible. The only way it could be more like a korean MMO is if there was a cash shop and numerous bugs which are never patched out.

Or being forced into a guild :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

chami posted:

Pretty sure that's Immortal Regis. It ended a while ago and is continued after a timeskip in Cavalier of the Abyss. I'm not sure if Cavalier is still being published or translated though, I haven't seen an update in a little while.

Please, don't read Immortal Regis. It's the retarded wannabe-edgy pulpy ADHD-riddled cousin of Mx0 that never quite learnt how to behave in public and is also obsessed with Kingdom Hearts.
I re-read it recently (it was one of the first scanlations i read) and it's way worse than i remembered. I only really 'like' it for what it does to the MC in the end, who kinda goes snap due to the main girl's nonsensical treatment and goes into full-blown megavillain mode.

It can be okay for a trashy read, but expect nothing - it always seems promising, but plot points are immediately forgotten within the next chapter, potential cool powers or developments immediately dropped, and the the last third or so is weapons-grade Escalating Bullshit Bonanza.
The Tower of Neverending Agony is apparently an appropriate punishment for the student council to dole out, which is filled with floors and on each a Guardian. Magic Stones don't work in this tower, except when they suddenly do. Magic-binding red water can apparently be hacked to neutralize it. You won't even see half the Guardians of the tower, because the student council has a WMD golem built with parts of God on floor 2, for some reason. Unless you stole the magic McGuffin beforehand that gives you a stand with operates outside of time-space. Also, God is resurrecting (?), so suddenly the Demon Clan flies to the tower with two gigantic Star Destroyer class spaceships. All of this happens within a span of a couple chapters with no rhyme or reason, and it doesn't stop, either.

Okay, that's enough words about something completely off-topic.
Back to The Gamer: We will probably never see the options in detail, or at least not until very late, because it's an excellent place to 'hide' (come up with) new mechanics and interesting stuff. From a writer's standpoint, it's rather stupid to limit and fix yourself into a rigid ruleset when you're still expanding and developing the boundaries - and a rigid, clearly defined ruleset is more or less inherent to games.
By just hinting at it, but not actually establishing it, the author can always put in some new fun things whenever the situation arises instead of going "well poo poo, i said back then that X works like Y, so awesome idea Z won't work".

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'd sooner have him show us the entirety of a limited options screen, then patch life if he wants to add in something new.

I'm pretty certain we're just in alpha right now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or the power itself levels up and game mechanics change.

Like I expect quick-switching equipment sets to show up.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I wonder if Gaia will patch the world every now and then and if he'll get patch notes.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Nahxela posted:

I wonder if Gaia will patch the world every now and then and if he'll get patch notes.

-Fixed Energy Bolt doing more damage than intended.
-Added dungeon cooldown of 120 minutes for free players (Subscribers still have no cooldown)

Assuming the check for displaying ??? is just if they're X levels higher than you, and considering Sung-Gong's level was shown as 46 while Jee-Han was level 4, that means Mom is at least 42 levels higher than him. He's what, level 18 now? Mom's got to be at least level 60. Do you think there's a level cap of any kind, or will we eventually get to Toriko levels of power creep?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If this is a true MMO, we will see expansions with power/level creep.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Nahxela posted:

If this is a true MMO, we will see expansions with power/level creep.

This is pretty much a given in any battle manga/manhua/manhwa.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
This isn't really exactly the same thing, but this reminded me of my to-do app, HabitRPG a lot. It's surprising how much quicker you get things done when there's an objective measure of your improvement.

Jee-han's dream of an anime triple-date can finally come to fruition now with sick girl, sister girl and fire girl!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

The plot thickens

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Wow, that chapter had some interesting developments! Can't wait to see how this stuff expands.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, the story would get boring if we didn't have this new necessary tension. The possible threesome foursome idea was nice, and still I expect it to happen, but we need more than that. I think.

I probably look forward to this manhwa more than any other weekly manga/manhwa right now.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm oddly entertained by watching his numbers go up.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think Sun-Ill's family is the one who gave the information out. They (or at least, the grandfather) clearly want him to join the family/clan due to his potent his ability is. This is a really easy way to get him close - have him get intimidated, then offer to protect and let him train while living with you.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

I think Sun-Ill's family is the one who gave the information out. They (or at least, the grandfather) clearly want him to join the family/clan due to his potent his ability is. This is a really easy way to get him close - have him get intimidated, then offer to protect and let him train while living with you.

Good to know than I wasn't the only one finding Sun-Ill's attitude kind of fishy

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Good to know than I wasn't the only one finding Sun-Ill's attitude kind of fishy

Even if Sun-Il is in on it, I think hes only doing it because they're good friends and hes worried about him.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm still banking that his mom is gonna die or get hurt in a fight or disappear any day now. They've been sitting on the mystery of her and his dad for a while and now the Abyss is noticing him and someone close to him is after him. It'd absolutely be fitting if something happened while he was away from home if someone powerful came looking for him and ran into his mother instead and a fight broke out.

Actually, now that I think on it, I think Han Jee-Han's father works for the Auction Company or is a founder. When the Branch Manager says he can't say why he's here to warn Han Jee-Han but that it's because of his connection to a certain someone it might not be that "someone close to him is the danger" but rather someone close to him is the reason the guy came to warn him".

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 17, 2014

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Wasn't the silhouette of his father early on a guy wearing sunglasses and a suit? :tinfoil:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm still banking that his mom is gonna die or get hurt in a fight or disappear any day now. They've been sitting on the mystery of her and his dad for a while and now the Abyss is noticing him and someone close to him is after him. It'd absolutely be fitting if something happened while he was away from home if someone powerful came looking for him and ran into his mother instead and a fight broke out.

They'll ambush him mom 'on screen' and we'll be left assuming the worst. She will call him a few chapters alter asking how his studying is going, and we will see dead bodies all around the room.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Has there been any indication of when during the school year it is? I'd like to see him take a year out and have a training arc where he grinds for a year :v:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Even if he was captured he'd be impossible to contain. He'd just keep getting better at escaping every time he tried anything.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Chapter 29 is out: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/233809/the-gamer_v1_ch29_by_bap-scans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 23, 2021