Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dude should have known better than to spec glass cannon wizard when he has no fighter to meatshield for him.

Time to go hybrid. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm lost. What or who is a "cleaner"? I don't understand why glasses-guy needs them killed.

Also, our hero should've known better. He put too much into INT when he should've been working on a more even toon-build. Really. Now, he's going to pay the price. Fortunately, all he needs to do is train, train, train.

He can't re-spec, but at least he can spend the next few levels buffing up. Remember the beat-up old bat? I initially figured he's be a bludgeon-er.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dan7el posted:

I'm lost. What or who is a "cleaner"? I don't understand why glasses-guy needs them killed.

Also, our hero should've known better. He put too much into INT when he should've been working on a more even toon-build. Really. Now, he's going to pay the price. Fortunately, all he needs to do is train, train, train.

He can't re-spec, but at least he can spend the next few levels buffing up. Remember the beat-up old bat? I initially figured he's be a bludgeon-er.

He might be able to respec. The greatest thing about his power is that the author can introduce just about anything game-related and it fits in just fine.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Dan7el posted:

I'm lost. What or who is a "cleaner"?

First thing I imagined when I read that was this :v:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Dan7el posted:

I think Villain Dude is contracting them to kill all the low-level mobs in the area, forcing the protagonist to fight tougher opponents. It forces him to level faster, so he can heal Villain Dude's daughter faster. Both VD and Kung Fu Bro are on the same wavelength here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Squidster posted:

I think Villain Dude is contracting them to kill all the low-level mobs in the area, forcing the protagonist to fight tougher opponents. It forces him to level faster, so he can heal Villain Dude's daughter faster. Both VD and Kung Fu Bro are on the same wavelength here.

Nah, cleaners are basically assassins. They are being sent in to take care of Sung-Gong, presumably because he has made lots of enemies in his quest for a miracle. He doesn't have the time or energy to deal with large numbers of people, so he subcontracted the task out. The problem is, Sung-Gong seems weirdly uninterested in Jee-Han. So, these two weren't told that he isn't a threat and that they should leave him alone.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Squidster posted:

That doesn't make any sense. How do you construe 'cleaner', a term usually used to refer to hitmen and used in a similar context here, to mean 'generic monster'? But aside from that, the bigger issue with that interpretation is that Sunglasses is talking about killing all the cleaners, whatever they are, even up to 'class A' types that even Sunglasses might have trouble with. There's no way in hell that the protagonist could handle anything like that, much less something even stronger.

Most likely, there's something Sunglasses is doing that might provoke interested parties to send assassins after him, and he wants them all out of his hair. Maybe whatever it is that he's been up to all this time is coming to fruition, I dunno.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Dan7el posted:

He just needs his shield to cause damage as well. And he knows plenty of fighters anyway. He should really just join a clan and reap the benefits of clan specific equipment and martial arts abilities.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I initially thought it referred to people that would be coming after Jee-Han to steal his mana. :v:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cathair posted:

That doesn't make any sense. How do you construe 'cleaner', a term usually used to refer to hitmen and used in a similar context here, to mean 'generic monster'? But aside from that, the bigger issue with that interpretation is that Sunglasses is talking about killing all the cleaners, whatever they are, even up to 'class A' types that even Sunglasses might have trouble with. There's no way in hell that the protagonist could handle anything like that, much less something even stronger.

Most likely, there's something Sunglasses is doing that might provoke interested parties to send assassins after him, and he wants them all out of his hair. Maybe whatever it is that he's been up to all this time is coming to fruition, I dunno.

Dungeon cleaners! Get those tough stains right out in a jiffy!

Yeah, you're probably right.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
My first thought is that he was talking about people who "clean up" evidence of the Abyss so that normal people remain unaware of it. Whatever Hwan is doing it's somehow disruptive to how things are normally done so it seems that "officials" of some sort might be trying to stop him.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Dan7el posted:

Also, our hero should've known better. He put too much into INT...

I think someone called it earlier in the thread, but I definitely think the author is going to go for a meta-joke in that Jee-Han should've gone for a WIS build so he'd know about these pitfalls, but he doesn't have the WIS to think about that choice in the first place. Kind of a Catch-22. Obviously he's been playing too many MMOs and not enough Planescape: Torment.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Always max LUCK.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The translator is kinda dumb; Mez is the old-school term for CC, and it comes from EverQuest.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Obviously this is a "cleaner":

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nah, cleaners are basically assassins. They are being sent in to take care of Sung-Gong, presumably because he has made lots of enemies in his quest for a miracle. He doesn't have the time or energy to deal with large numbers of people, so he subcontracted the task out. The problem is, Sung-Gong seems weirdly uninterested in Jee-Han. So, these two weren't told that he isn't a threat and that they should leave him alone.

Sung-Gong is probably uninterested because he's very into healing his daughter and hasn't realized that Jee-Han is why she got better. If he ever makes that connection Jee-Han had better be ready for a hell of a power-levelling session :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sunglasses could presumably get his hands on a mountain of high quality soul gems. Even that might not be enough for a cure, but it would presumably be enough to successfully manage her condition in perpetuity.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Sung-Gong is probably uninterested because he's very into healing his daughter and hasn't realized that Jee-Han is why she got better. If he ever makes that connection Jee-Han had better be ready for a hell of a power-levelling session :v:

I dunno, I think he at the very least suspects that Jee-Han had something to do with it. Hiring people to get rid of the cleaners may be to protect himself and his daughter without forcing him to waste time doing it himself, but it's also possible he's doing it to keep Jee-Han from getting killed before he can find out what the hell the kid is.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The cleaners could be going after his daughter, seeing as she has powers and is in a weakened state. Why? I dunno. To get back at Hwan Sung-Gon for something?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
In the original, he calls them 청소부. This is really a generic term that could mean many occupation, all meaning "someone who cleans the place". It means a janitor (the ones you see in schools, public faculties, malls etc), a street sweeper, a housekeeper, or a cleaner.

The comic leaves it really ambiguous at the moment what the context is, so it really is just speculation at this point.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hm. Maybe it's something like the TYPE-MOON/Nasuverse... Guardians, I think it was? Those guys who function as the avatars of Gaea's self-defense mechanism. We had that plot dump talking about the universe self-correcting for people who do stuff out of the natural order, and all.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

Jee-han is pretty drat resourceful.

And it seems he didn't failed his mom's quest :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Why hasn't he gone book shopping yet?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I thought he'd do something like proclaim he needs to start grinding his ID Create, so he could stop time all he needs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

How can this be so interesting and compelling that it makes me come back to it time and time again, when it's just one continuous training arc?? It's great!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

DrSunshine posted:

How can this be so interesting and compelling that it makes me come back to it time and time again, when it's just one continuous training arc?? It's great!

Because most stories aren't about the training arc, so it's an unwelcome distraction? Meanwhile, we're all here to watch this nerd get more powers and also get super mage-swole.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Training arcs are absolutely not an unwelcome distraction. If anything, they're one of the only redeeming parts about any series.

Training arcs forever. Literally. Give me a series that's just a dude training forever and developing new techniques, he doesn't even have to use them, just make them. I'd be on board for that so hard.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, very little happens in the gamer week after week, it is becoming quite uninteresting to me. If I wanted to see one dude spend unholy amounts of time leveling up and doing nothing else I would be playing Diablo III or whatever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

trucutru posted:

I dunno, very little happens in the gamer week after week, it is becoming quite uninteresting to me. If I wanted to see one dude spend unholy amounts of time leveling up and doing nothing else I would be playing Diablo III or whatever.
speaking of D3 the guy is literally just the wizard from it; why doesn't he actually go play a game and try to imitate what he sees? Do the melee wizard build :getin:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would be great if he was grinding everything he does even unintentionally. Like he's a grandmaster at walking or breathing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

It would be great if he was grinding everything he does even unintentionally. Like he's a grandmaster at walking or breathing.

Breathing mastery achieved. You no longer need to breathe.

Walking mastery achieved. You can now walk at 30km/h.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Dr_Amazing posted:

Like the carp used to be in dwarf fortress.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I got all excited when I saw there was a second update today, turns out its just a really really lovely april fools joke. Just skip #31 if you see it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I got all excited when I saw there was a second update today, turns out its just a really really lovely april fools joke. Just skip #31 if you see it.

God drat it these always screw up the manga reader on my tablet :negative:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I remember one manga that had like 4 different versions of a chapter available eventually. Only, every single one of those versions was the april fool's chapter. Replacements kept getting uploaded, but for some reason it was never the real one and this continued long after april 1st.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've only ever seen one April's Fools scanlation that wasn't terrible. Yet somehow people insist on making them, as if they invented comedy.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

HenryEx posted:

I've only ever seen one April's Fools scanlation that wasn't terrible. Yet somehow people insist on making them, as if they invented comedy.

Hey, we were thinking of the same one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Mahou-X could only pull this one off because A) they're pretty awesome and laid-back folks who don't take things too seriously, and B) their lead translator is a Hawaiian. :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Chapter 31

Looks like he's making a bit more money now. Also, Sae-Young teasing him makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

Chapter 31

Looks like he's making a bit more money now. Also, Sae-Young teasing him makes me laugh.

:stare:

Jee-Han really is a reality-warper