Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, the story would get boring if we didn't have this new necessary tension. The possible threesome foursome idea was nice, and still I expect it to happen, but we need more than that. I think.

I probably look forward to this manhwa more than any other weekly manga/manhwa right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm lost. What or who is a "cleaner"? I don't understand why glasses-guy needs them killed.

Also, our hero should've known better. He put too much into INT when he should've been working on a more even toon-build. Really. Now, he's going to pay the price. Fortunately, all he needs to do is train, train, train.

He can't re-spec, but at least he can spend the next few levels buffing up. Remember the beat-up old bat? I initially figured he's be a bludgeon-er.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

If you read enough Manhwa, you'll see all these Korean-specific pronouns (noona, oppa, etc.). Magician is full of another on, Ajussi or something like that. Iremi won't stop calling Edermask that. Eventually, you'll gloss over them. It's usually pretty obvious what the relationship is. If the guy is younger and he's talking to an older girl, you know it. So, he uses noona, and you're like. Whatever.

It threw me at first mainly because I'd just gotten used to all the freaking Japanese honorifics and now the Koreans pull the same stunt! Even worse though. Also, a bunch of Manhwas have instruction pages that spell this out and Wikipedia is replete with information on this topic.

Regarding The Gamer. Man, I am really enjoying this Manhwa. It's one of the best yet. The witch with her wolf-man-pet-dude is great. Hard to know what the red-haired girl is all about. I don't believe our hero will have a romantic relationship with the teacher's sick daughter. I think she's there to give Jee-Han a reason to up his healing/intellect/whatever skills.

Plus, maybe he'll gain an important ally in the sunglasses-teacher-dude-father. I got the impression that sunglasses-teacher-father-guy (I actually spent about 20 minutes getting all these names put into a post and my system locked up and all my work got deleted, so I'm a bit frustrated and I still don't have these names readily available since I had to actually page through a bunch of pages in the Manhwa to get them originally) was a bad guy at first. I don't think he is, though.

I don't know why I got that impression. He seemed bad. Maybe it's the sunglasses.

Sunglasses usually indicates evil, right? Except for the guy that writes Bleach. He wears sunglasses indoors, I believe. I think that's because he thinks that's cool. Or, maybe he's evil too. I don't know.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

He just needs to join Abyss Auction Prime and get his deliveries in two days for free. It's like $100.00 U.S. per year now, but it's worth it. I use it all the time for my magical items.

I keep wondering how he's paying for this stuff though. Does he have a debit card? I know he has the cash. Payabyss Pal?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, we had him learn some skills from a book early on, but mostly, he's learned skills on his own. "I think I'll learn how to twist my mana into a rope." Ding. "You learned rope mana level 1."

Why doesn't he just go, "I think I'll learn how to summon an earth elemental? And squeeze his eyes shut and concentrate. Ding. You leaned level 1 Earth Elemental Summoning. Instead of buying books off of eBysmal-Bay?

Just a thought. Also, I'm surprised his mom is only level 15. I'm assuming that the LEGENDARY in front of that means something like, a Legendary level 15 is equal to a normal level 75 or something ridiculous. I hope, anyway.

It is curious why he can finally read her level, though. I wonder if she forgot to turn on her anonymous switch this morning? Maybe she changed sides from Horde to Alliance? Hard to tell.

I would like to see him up his baseball bat bludgeoning skills.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The Gamer, Character Sheet
Just a basic list, nothing fancy. Put this in the OP if you want. The character levels shown aren't necessarily up to date as they change over time. I basically got screenshots of the first time they showed up.

Han Jee Han -- our protagonist and hero.

Shin Sun Il -- our hero's best friend.

Han Jung Sook -- Jee Han's mom.

Kwan Shi Yun -- a girl with red hair. She's angry and doesn't like Hwan Sung Gon.

Hwan Sung Gon -- some high level guy. He's a father and a teacher. I'm pretty sure he's evil because he wears sunglasses.

Do Gi Hyun -- I don't know if this bears repeating, but he's a man of justice. He is a passionate teacher, and level 15.

Poong Sae Young Sun Il's cousin. Tae Kwon Do champion.

Shin Sun Oh -- He's Shin Sun Il's grandfather and a heavyweight in the martial arts and magical word. I just call him "The Big Oh".

Hwan Sung Ah -- The evil father/teacher/sunglasses dude's daughter. She's sick, sort of.

Sung Ma Hyun -- He runs the Abyss' eBay.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, the names do change, but I chalk that up to translation issues: Jun vs Jung and Sun vs Sung, etc.

The witch and her warrior don't get named. As far as I can tell. This is the best I can do:

Since they're not named, I left them out. Same with the two guys that attack Jee Han.

Heck, re-reading this, I just realized:

Not having a reference, I didn't know who Sung Ma-Hyun was. Now I do. So, "he moved"? What the hell does that mean? There is an implicit statement going on here, but I'm missing the meaning entirely. Anyone know?

Dr_Amazing posted:

He's already seen levels way above 15 so it's not like the level difference has evened out.

XboxPants posted:

What's the highest level he's seen? Level 46 black-suit? I wonder what level he was then and what level he is now.
Yeah, I think Hwan Sung Gon (level 46 or so), is the highest he's seen, but we have only seen that his mom, Shin Sun Oh, and Sung Ma Hyun were the only other ????. That's not a lot. I would guess he can see higher than 46, but we're just not seeing that he's found many people in the gap range between 46 and ????.

As far as him mom goes, something obviously changed. I wonder if there is some translation issue going on here though because her level isn't what I expected, at all.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 11:31 on May 4, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just realized something. The authors (what do they call manhwa authors in Korea? Manhwa-ka? hee hee) of this manhwa kind of screwed up. All the other characters are introduced with their levels above their heads. However, when Jee Han meets Noona and her wolf-hatted partner, and also the evil hunter dudes out for blood, there are no names or levels.

Get with the program, Sun Sang Youn and Sang Ah.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

booksnake posted:

By "he moved", it just means he took action. Probably referring to him revealing himself with Jee-han, possibly as part of some larger plan.
Do they (witch and wolf-hat-man) even know who Jee-Han is, at this point? I think you have a point though. Obviously, something happened with the auction house that is causing them to act. I wonder if this has anything to do with Jee-Han's mom's level being revealed. I'll bet it does.

Correcting myself: The witch identifies as "The Witch of Massacre" in Chapter 34. That's not a name, yet it's something (a title). She calls wolf-hat "Dilon" in the same chapter. So, he's Dilon.

Also, if the guy in plate-mail and miniature wizard were F-rank, I wonder what rank Jee-Han is? Like, below the charts even? Z-ranked?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Now I can avoid the mental image of Jee Han summoning Sun Il Poong Sae Young while he's taking a shower :haw:
Heh. I fixed that for you too.

I've been doing that a lot, lately.

Who wants to bet Jee Han summons an earth elemental and becomes friends with it?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else notice the imagined images of the various elementals were all girl-shaped? Here I am, thinking, "earth elemental" and I'm thinking of a wood golem from Asheron's Call. He's thinking, slender dryad. At least he realized he can figure out how to summon all the various types on his own once he has the basics down.

I think he just wants to up his INT so he can read that Divine Something-Or-The-Other book from Sun Il's grandpa from early on. If he learns that, he can heal like anything, right? Or something? His INT has to be like 90-something.

At least he has a goal. I think he's an Og-Mage.

And, uh, yeah, let's learn a brand new, exciting, skill and just talk about using it but not actually do it until next week's chapter. Gah! The face he made while rolling around on the ground was pretty awesome.

He needs a logout button.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It was in the box of books that they let him try to learn. I'm pretty sure they don't mind since they just handed it to him.
They let him try to learn that level 90 INT book but he couldn't. He said he'd up his INT so he could, and grandpa Sun-old-dude said that the book was actually a clan-only technique and they probably wouldn't let him try again.

I think it's up in the air. He could join the clan, right? If not, they still might let him learn the book. Either way, his goal seems to be to get his INT up to that level first and foremost.

What he's not doing is getting more info on the Abyss and who and what might be coming after him. Instead, he's playing on eByssbay and worrying about girls. Really? An 18-year old boy worrying about girls? Get real, Manhwa!

Any ideas why our Noona-Witch-of-Massacre says "humans" like she's not one? Is this a translation issue or is she not one herself? I wonder.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I rather suspect more happened here than he expected. A lot more. We'll find out the consequences as time goes on. One thing I noticed is he didn't get a level up notification on the summoning. I would expect, "You learned summon earth elemental level 1, etc."

I wonder if this is because he used actual magic this time and not some game mechanic. Or, maybe the level up thing will happen still. Or, I wonder if the author is getting sloppy too.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Wittgen posted:

But that combination is fantastic in real life.
I got the idea that is where he was going with his posting.

Like I said, and others have agreed, I think there is a lot more to what happened in this last chapter than our Jee-Han knows. He either made a huge mistake or stumbled into something incredibly awesome. I suspect it will appear to be a huge mistake but turn out incredible in the end.

And it will be funny and we'll probably face-palm reading it for a bit. My only problem with it is how predictable it was.

Still the best Manhwa out there, though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm worried he's going to irritate her by repeatedly summoning and dismissing her. I mean, a game NPC, who cares, right? But a real gnome-earthy-girl? She might get a bit miffed. "Look, I'm getting tired of this yoyo calling me business, buster!"

I was thinking the same thing. Can others get drops from those zones now? I'm not clear on if you can escape from them or not if a boss mob spawns? Sounds like you can't. Otherwise, TRAIN TO ZONE!

Don't be caught meditating at the zone entrance, right?

Also, the dream earth elemental. That's what I'm talking about!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I love how Han Ji-Han and Gnome have almost the exact same expressions. They are quite the pair. I wonder if the author does this on purpose because they're mentally linked.

Also, that was the best drop, ever. I would wear them after a good washing. A really good washing. Although, it would be better if they were boxer briefs rather than straight up briefs. The Ogres need to get with the times. Hanes wears well. I find Fruit of the Loom to wear out pretty fast. 9000 years is a good amount of time for a pair of briefs to last, though. Would they become inheritance items? Would you kids fight over who gets them?

An okay chapter, but not enough happens each week. I need more....

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

First of all, with only 6 Wisdom, he doesn't have the wisdom-perception he needs to understand that he needs to up his Wisdom. It's a viscous cycle of un-wise-ness.

Secondly, I think I read the stat is Dexterity. So, he can dodge and roll, and float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

If it were me, I'd shoot the moon for the 90 INT so I could read Grandpa's magic super-book and then up my other stats. I know, I know. It's unwise, but, hey, my Wisdom is only 6 too.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Her wisdom was only 11, I think. Not much higher than his. Maybe wisdom isn't really worth a lot?

I wonder if there is some other point to the fact that the thugs seem to look, act, and talk like they're from the 80's or 90's?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Regarding Re:Monster. I read the Google doc and it starts out interesting but gets boring later on, I think.

Regarding The Gamer. I've been saying all along. Get that INT stat to 90 and learn the uber divine technique and then move on from there. The Redheads request reminded me of Arakawa Under the Bridge. He just couldn't take that answer either.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Seems to me that there might be more than one level of time dilation instances. For example, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, etc. He just needs to keep leveling up his skill and he'll get the other ones. I'm guessing his friend's dilation instances are at a higher ratio?

Yeah. I recognized that gesture right away as the "Asian" way of gesturing for someone to come toward you. No "crooking of the finger" in Asia. I wonder if that (crooking the finger) has some other meaning. Like, in the UK, two fingers like the "peace sign" with your palm facing your body is a bad gesture. I guess like the "bird" in the USA.

Still seems weird to me to see that Asain come-hither gesture, though. Same with pointing at their selves. We point at our chests, they point at their noses (at least in Japan they do). Come on guys! You're gonna get cross-eyed that way!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

He needs to join a guild and start raiding.

Also, a flying mount. I prefer the flying manhole cover like the red-cloud thingy in WoW.

His mom doesn't need to be protected. She's a loving legendary housewife. Level 17. She's the scariest thing out there.

Who doesn't want to hug Gnome?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the stats have more to do with his "gamer" abilities than his real-life. Here he is with this massive intelligence, and has he really begun to shine in school? Not that the author has shown, really. Maybe he has, but we don't see it. What does huge INT do for him? Gives him a larger mana pool and higher mana regen rate along with the ability to learn more awesome spells.

I don't see an immediate, direct connection between gamer stats and real-life. Sure, there might be some correlation, but it doesn't seem to be that huge. So, will a lower WIS really be that bad?

In games, there are some stats for certain classes that just don't matter. I'm pretty sure a WoW Tankadin needs Stamina and Strength, but INT is not high on the list of things he needs. Sure, he needs some, but a Tankdadin rarely runs out of mana due to low INT (I think -- unless he tries to heal. Then, it's OOM right away). However, your mage would want a very high INT but care less about STR.

Could be the same with "The Gamer". Maybe WIS just isn't an important stat for his play-type.

Also, I feel like some of you do that we, the readers, are being trolled by the author here. I find it pretty funny to see the main character completely ignore what could possibly be the most important real-life stat he would use. Who doesn't need more WIS in their daily lives?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

There is a semblance of a plot, but I still don't know what the gently caress is going on. White-plaid-shirt-guy with evil smirk -- watch out for him. Is he someone we should? We finally see the witch and her wolf-man again, sort of.

Are all the girls Han Ji-Han meets idiots? "I'll do anything you ask. Just one thing. But, it can be anything."

Uh. How about...did you think even?

What would rock? Gnome is a jealous earth elemental and she ruins their date.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Gotta love that he deliberately injures himself to practice healing, instead of going to a cancer ward or something.
Yeah, but isn't the purpose of injuring himself to get his physical damage resistance up? I want to see where he gets shot and the bullet wound only leaves a small black and blue mark.

I keep expecting his wisdom to go up on its own as he continues to multi-task his grinding.

I understand the need to show that this guy had to grind, as a gamer, his abilities, but he's been basically grinding now for like 20 chapters. We had a date with a girl, some almost-plot thing happened, and his mom moved away. Otherwise, he's been grinding forever.

Maybe it's time for some more almost-plot stuff?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Thursday is my favorite day of the week. The Gamer comes out around noon-ish my time, and I can read up on how my favorite overpowered level grinder keeps finding new ways to become invincible.

If you really think about Han Ji Han, everyone he's ever interfaced with is a higher level than he is and can kick his rear end other than his girlfriend. His best friend is like 10 levels above him. His best friend's grandpa is so far above him he can't even see his level. His teacher could pound him to dust in an instant, and his best friend's cousin could kill him with a single punch. Even the red-haired classmate can probably still beat him to a pulp. He's just trying to trying to get to where he feels somewhat safe.

I really was wondering what was in the apple box, though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I'm betting his magic teacher will be the Witch of Slaughter, and she'll be hitting on him the whole time she's supposed to be teaching him.

He's still weaker than just about everyone else he knows. We need more grinding. Much more.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I knew something was going to happen on his way home from the family-style restaurant. Something always does... when you go home from a family-style restaurant.

You all think Wisdom would be related to the ability to logically think through math and science problems? I don't know if I'd relate that directly to Wisdom, per se. I could see how you might, though.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I totally didn't expect it to be as easy as it was for him to blast the gently caress out of those 7 golems all at once.

What the heck level is he now anyway? I thought it was mid-20's or so.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Thursday is my favorite day. First two new chapters of Black Haze came out today and a new The Gamer.

Jee Han better call her now. I keep wondering if the druid is going to be jealous, but I guess not.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think this is the first time the author actually names the witch. He named the druid in one of the previous two chapters.

Loli and Horu? I wonder if the Loli is on purpose (lolicon) or just a name.

Someone on Mangajoy thinks that the Existence Eater/Temporary Magician might be Han Ji-Han's dad. Interesting thought, but I think the statement is that the Temporary Magician can't find a job. Isn't Ji-Han's dad fully employed and well?

The new pet isn't as cute as the old one. If I had golems, I'd create a couple and free them and see what happens.

Cool to see them really talking about "gamer mind" too because otherwise Ji-Han should be a basket case by now.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The picture of him when he's holding the books was the best part of this last chapter:

e: added image

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 19, 2014

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

So, like the integral of one over cabin d cabin is log cabin, right?

That was actually on a kinematics exam I had a VA Tech. The grad student teaching the course had gotten his MS at UVA and was getting his PhD at VA Tech. One of the questions involved a "roll of toilet paper" UVA diplomas set against a wall with graduation about to start. How much force at what angle is required to start the graduation process.

So, I guess math can be fun. I like simple things like calculating the formula for converting degrees C to F and such, calculating the formula for the volume of a cylinder, and how far a baseball thrown at such and such an angle with some initial velocity would travel.

Anyway, maybe an increased Wisdom would help solve word problems like "If Bobby has 5 apples and Rebekah eats 3 apples, how many apples are left?"

Hard to tell with game statistics because it's primarily all made-up poo poo anyway. Like really? Increased INT means a larger mana pool? Where is this actually proven in real-life? As far as I know, there's no such thing. For all we know, increased fat in your body means more mana (I think Robin Hobb has a book series that has this theme, really).

Each game tends to treat stats different per type -- although they all generally follow the same basic set of rules -- probably established by the first MMO's out there.

Maybe for The Gamer, it's that the rules existed via Gaia and game developers followed the "rules" without really knowing why.

This manhwa is highly entertaining, but I could do with less training and more action. This last chapter seemed to indicate that Han Ji Han was more or less a complete physical bum prior to getting his Gamer ability and didn't do any martial arts or real physical training. He has zero fighting experience -- except for now he's practiced against undead and ogres. His best friend is rightfully concerned about Han Ji Han going out into the PvP world. We all know that's a completely different story all together too. Usually, when starting PvP you get your rear end handed to you by who have been doing it for a while before you catch on.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I kind of love how in Korean comics whenever some world spanning organization is brought up Korea is always one of or the strongest countries.

Arkeus posted:

That's a common point for every single media in every countries, nothing special about 'Korea' here.
Yeah. Japan does the same thing. I love how world maps shown in Japan have Japan as the center of the map. Admittedly, though, the Japan-centered maps are better than the USA-centered maps (which split continents inconveniently). I find it rather interesting and fun to see how cultures view themselves as *the* culture. I think they should.

Anyway, this last chapter seemed to be more of a "setup" chapter for what's to come. We did get a bit of a reveal near the end, but more or less the whole thing was some big-time history/info dump along with preparing for the next thing. I almost wish the author/artist would wait two weeks and publish two chapters at once -- the setup and then what he setup.

Also, it appears there aren't any mages or what-not in South America at all.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Wisdom starts to pay off almost immediately:

She tells him this not just once, but twice.

Seems the wisdom stat more or less gives you the ability to figure things out. Sort of like a detective.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

He needs to summon Gnome and the Golem and let them have at it too.

Jee Han has made a lot of threatening statements, but his actions don't fully match up with what he says he's going to do. I hope he makes good his promises.

Is it wrong for me to see him actually do this to these guys?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Now I want to see him run around with an LFG flag set or do some /ooc chat "in zone". "/ooc PC on ogre panties"

Also, I am looking forward to the nerd game player bonding he's going to enjoy soon with the fellows from Hell. So far, no one else has been able to understand Jee Han other than us, the audience. Finally, someone in the manhwa as a character can understand him.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Wittgen posted:

I love that Berith's design continues to be supremely goofy.
I know. It's like, what the hell? There's a cartoon in my cartoon!

But there wasn't any Han Jee Han in this chapter.

Maybe the title "The Gamer" covers more than one character? The folks from Hell are gamer's too. The title just switches, depending on who's in the frame.

If I think about it, a bull with wings is really kind of scary. Where could you hide from el Toro?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Jee-Han sneak attack in 3, 2, 1...
Who?

Are there other characters in this manhwa than the Witch of Carnage and her Grand Warrior?

I think the evil guys are some kind of symbol of Wall Street.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I kind of miss all the ogre panties and what-not. Also, Han Jee Han. Where is he? I'm hoping he's sneaking around back to pick up his girlfriend from her dad's house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

If he's not licensed, he shouldn't be using it on others professionally.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with the occasional back-rub for a friend, girl-friend, or loli-witch, though.

Silento posted:

I, too, wear a Wizzard hat for the +2 to intelligencespeed.
Wizzard. RIP Terry Pratchet. Would love to see The Gamer with a Wizzard hat.