Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He should just go to some batting cages and practice not getting hit by the baseballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm oddly entertained by watching his numbers go up.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Even if he was captured he'd be impossible to contain. He'd just keep getting better at escaping every time he tried anything.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It would be great if he was grinding everything he does even unintentionally. Like he's a grandmaster at walking or breathing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
New skill: Grinding - You now grind at an increased rate.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FiftySeven posted:

I honestly agree with this. The problem is that SA has a history of getting pretty worked up about this sort of thing (the One Piece "nakama" drama comes to mind here). Alternatively you have madness like some idiots "translating" Titan into "Eotena" which is up there with one of the most stupid things I have ever seen. Personally, I quite like having it use the korean term, because its a Korean manga in a Korean setting and I feel that it helps to highlight that. To translate Noona as big sis or something like that feels pretty lazy, as that isn't a natural way to translate it into English either. In context of this specific scene it might have been better to have her boasting about her looks or something but in 2014 I would wager that most people are familiar with honorifics anyway.

I don't really mind it in Japanese just because I know them, but I seriously thought she was using some sort of magic term that people in the Abyss say.

I'm in the camp of change it to make sense and if there's some weird nuisance that you just can't possibly get across then just leave a note.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In Pokemon they always localized onigiri as doughnut. That always struck me pretty odd when they could have just called it a rice ball or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Silento posted:

I'm not sure how to handle puns--like Zoro's attacks in One Piece, for instance. It's not too hard to translate the odd pun here or there, but when you have a dozen of them all sharing a theme, English, as a langauge, is not equipped for that.

If it doesn't translate than just give the literal meaning and leave a note explaining why the characters are laughing or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Evil Thing posted:

Because jokes are even funnier if you explain them! :v:

The joke is lost anyway so just explain it and move on. It's a lot to ask the translator to try to think of a new pun each time. The explanation is just there to explain what's happening.

For example in Full Metal Panic there's a bit where characters are in this competition and one of the teams is "Team Dragon". Another character keeps referring to it as team turnip. The joke being that daikon sounds like dragon.

So the translator can just do it directly and the audience is confused why everyone is laughing.

They can try to make their own joke that doesn't match the actual words.

They can do the first one but note (hey daikon means turnip and sounds like dragon) and everyone moves on.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Revdomezehis posted:

On the other hand if you wanna read a modern webcomic/manwha through the filter of the mid-90's era internet, by all means read it on mangajoy.

Reading this on my phone so I didn't even notice.

If he can instantly learn skills by touching books, he should just go to the library and touch everything in the "how to" section.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm kind of surprised the books are so hard to come by. If they're normal books with magic information you'd think their would be a thriving copying and counterfeit community.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's already seen levels way above 15 so it's not like the level difference has evened out.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Slime posted:

The best defense is killing everything before it can touch you! And for anything he can't just nuke down he should obviously be in a proper party anyway.

Oh man, can his gamer power force enemies to obey aggro mechanics?

He can use a confusion skill so maybe he could do a taunt.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They've been a little ambiguous in it. But it seems like using your skills for monetary gains is a bad idea.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Soylentbits posted:

Anybody have thoughts on Re: Monster? It looks like a similar gaming world manga but from the perspective of a goblin. Used to be human and was murdered and reincarnated as a goblin player character.

https://www.mangahere.co/manga/re_monster/

It sort of feels The Gamer like?

This is pretty cool if a little dark. I'm a little annoyed that he picks up powers so fast that he just starts pulling random abilities out his rear end that have never been mentioned before.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's not that great since he immediately said something stupid right after.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Where are you guys reading Re:Monster that it's out that far?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He's still carrying around that life steal skill too right. And he's never bothered to try it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's going to be hilarious when he spends all his time in a speed up dungeon, and end up finishing high school looking like he's 50.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That was a legit way to get through most of the Fallout games. Put everything into luck and watch everyone else get their arms blown off by gun malfunctions.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Gotta love that he deliberately injures himself to practice healing, instead of going to a cancer ward or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Love how he just shoves the whole pile into the inventory window.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was a bit at the beginning where he was looking at different foods to see how they buff him and restore health. Later he was trying to quickly eat a loaf of bread and a carton of milk when he was damaged.

I want to see more of that stuff.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Kyte posted:

Mangacow is the good translator and mangajoy is the not-so-good one, so you're probably noticing that.

I don't even really notice the translation quality. I just wish more manga sites would just put everything on one page.

Also yes that Burger King guy looks dumb as hell.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I don't get what happened at all. Were they some sort of money destroying balls?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
From the skill description it's not clear if he can actually use it on himself.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Maybe just silkscreen some magic circle t-shirts you can swap out

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Einander posted:

I wonder if "Mysterious Dungeon" here is a reference to the Roguelike-lites? You know, where you get reset to level 1 whenever you enter a dungeon, but you get to store items between dungeon trips (or there's some other measure of progress that sticks around between individual trips)? Because a real Mysterious Dungeon would be a real kick in the balls for Jee-Han, considering how his power works, especially if it vanished the rest of his skills for the duration of the trip. :v:

It made me think of Powder.
but that might be the red snake.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Oh man. Did anyone else keep following Remonster? It was right on the line between stupid and creepy for a while, but the last few chapters took it to the extreme.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but for some reason the whole concept of game stuff intruding into real life just grabs me.

I'm following 5 or 6 Mangas that do this. The bad thing is they mostly tend to get gross pretty quickly.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Ice Phisherman posted:

It seems that the purpose of laundering the money isn't to make it legal. The money is legal tender and spendable. The problem is that seventeen year old boys don't get tons of money dropped out of them unless their parents are rich and/or connected. He can buy all of the magic potions, spell books, artifacts and apparently super illegal contraband he wants off Abyss. If he tries to buy a house then that's a problem. Laundering isn't magical. It's just making it look like you have a legitimate source for the money, usually through a business.

I assume that eventually money is going to be just another boring thing he'll pay attention to somedays and then look away as he absorbs yet another spell book that someone would take year to commit to heart. Money, food, shelter and maybe even sleep will probably be things he no longer really needs to worry about.

I'm sure there's an abyss guy you can hire to make it look like you won the lottery or designed a popular app. Maybe there actually is no lottery. All the winners are predetermined rich people that are just laundering their money.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If we're still mentioning series I really recommend Yūsha Yoshihiko. It's basically Dragon Quest meets Monty Python
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQTn1QxCZ2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OqSN-iLNPE

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

NowonSA posted:

So I guess the slime mucus is just like, a super high-grade skin lotion? I guess Jee-Han is lucky that she picked that boss drop and not something more valuable.

Loli-Nuna has the right idea though, create a level 100+ dungeon, cruise through it at high speed with her help, and farm up billions everyday. You wouldn't even have to worry about that thought stealing mojo that the DLC dungeons have, since he'd be the one making it himself.

I assumed it was a cosmetic item like a teamfortress hat.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Level 99 in walking - Can now walk faster than he can run.
Level 99 in brushing teeth - Complete immunity to cavities
Level 99 in taking a poo poo - Can instantly remove all waste and toxins from his body

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He could probably become a major player just with his observe ability. Being able to get a complete life story, stats, strengths, weaknesses and special abilities of anyone he looks at is crazy useful. Plus he can completely identify every little magic do-dad that passes by. Oh and diagnose any sort of medical/ magical condition. He could do just fine as an information broker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Cause they'd be able to see his status at any time and he wouldn't be able to j/o anymore.

Level 99 jerking.