Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So there's this company, you may have heard of them, called Games Workshop. For the past 25 odd years now they've been merrily separating tweens and nerds from their cash in exchange for increasingly meagre handfuls of plastic models to play their games. This was a relatively stable set of affairs but I just learned that GW have done two very, very idiotic things (among others):
  • Banned pick up games from stores and events
  • Scrapped the Golden Daemon

Given their financial outlook and what these trends imply, I've put this thread up. If you want to enter, post a date between now and December 31, 2015. If GW dies on this date, or if yours is the nearest guess, you win!

Death here is defined as:

Filing for bankruptcy
Breaking off of or sales of divisions such as miniatures, publishing, selling the IP, etc.
Discontinuation of all miniatures sales
Company bought out

If you guess successfully you could ~fabulous prizes~ (to be determined). If they don't die by the end date you get nothing. If there's a tie it goes to the first person to guess it. If you guess two dates you're out.

Oh yeah, and don't take this too seriously. It's warhams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocode
Oct 28, 2011

Meddle not with Mother Nature, lest you face her wrath.

Abusing secret insider information obtained from my patented time travelling gizmo(tm) to predict:

March 13th, 2015

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Jesus, they got rid of golden daemon comps? Ugh.

gently caress it, June 8, 2015

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
December 31, 2015 for free prizes

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
July 1, 2014 start of 4th fiscal quarter.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Aug 26, 2014

Why not.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Currently for prizes I have two 3rd edition codexii, for Tau and Orks, a 5th edition 40k rulebook, and 20 polka dot Catachans. I will rummage through my warhams some more to try and find a funnier prize (I may glue a bunch of poo poo together and make something that way)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 5, 2014

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Surely the prizes should be some Warmachine stuff.

I'm going to guess June 17, 2015

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

May 28, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
March 31, 2014.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Sept 12, 2015 - In the grim dark future, there will be Coke ads by the Emperor

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sept 21st, 2015

Well, at least we know how the golden throne's finally going to fail.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
January 18, 2015

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
August 14th, 2015

Giving them enough time to try (and fail) to get their poo poo together.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

When the hell did they ban pick-up games? I played a game in one 5 days ago.

edit:

I'm going with April 20th, 2015.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 21, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I was "feeling" August 16th but that puts me right in between two people, so I'm going to say October 28th, 2015

edit: Added a year! Also the 16th of August would have been dumb seeing as that's a Sunday.

LGD fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 21, 2014

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Business Gorillas posted:

When the hell did they ban pick-up games? I played a game in one 5 days ago.

edit:

I'm going with April 20th, 2015.

Can we get a quote on where they banned pickup games? That seems comically shortsighted. Not that I don't believe they wouldn't....

Oh, and October 1st, 2014

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

March 1, 2015

So what'll happen to their IP if/when they fail? Sold to Fantasy Flight? Gone forever because they believe each piece is worth $200 million alone?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
June 26 2014, best day of the year.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Lightning Lord posted:

March 1, 2015So what'll happen to their IP if/when they fail? Sold to Fantasy Flight? Gone forever because they believe each piece is worth $200 million alone?

That or another big game company would salivate at owning those IPs. I wanna say Hasbro but who knows. It's not like they could do worse...

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
December 22, 2016

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
August 15th, 2014

No reason in particular just wanted to participate!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Picking my birthday because why not?

September 6, 2014.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Deviant posted:

Picking my birthday because why not?

September 6, 2014.

I like the cut of your jib.

June 12th, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do we have a source on that they've banned pickup games? I believe you, I just can't find it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

August 1st, 2014

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

April 4th 2015

Not death, but a very special relationship with a company that respects the intellectual property.

Someone that wants to make a series of games tied in with webisodes, comic books and a lego compatible brick collection.

It will never be as good as life was circa Rogue trader, so rest in piss Games Workshop.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

August 13, 2015

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

Forums Terrorist posted:

I just learned that GW have done two very, very idiotic things (among others):
  • Banned pick up games from stores and events
  • Scrapped the Golden Daemon

Is there a link for this anywhere?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Spreadsheet with dates is here.

As to the ban on PUGs and nixing Golden Daemon, I will confess my source on these matters was Rulebook Heavily in IRC. :v: Even if they're not true the fact that they're believable combined with the stock price says a lot.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Ok not being a warhams afiaconado, a pick up game is a game, that you didn't organise, that's quite likely played with a stranger? It's not some piece of GW jargon? Is this from GW stores only? Or are they gonna be refusing to stock flgs' or something as a black mail option? The more I type and think about this the more obviously insane it looks. If the ban is just GW stores, their customers go elsewhere, to, you know, play the game that GW sells. They only loose the store's markup on any sales this way I suppose. The other way? They're refusing to let people sell their stuff or something for letting people play, again, you know, the game they sell.

Incidentally this thread is about number five on google when you search for golden daemon banned.

Oh, and for my date I'm going to go with the comedy option of 23/1/14 because I live in new zealand and generous prize givers probably don't need to be stiffed huge shipping costs to send me stuff I'll probably only use as desperation D&D minis

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

rock rock posted:

Ok not being a warhams afiaconado, a pick up game is a game, that you didn't organise, that's quite likely played with a stranger? It's not some piece of GW jargon?

People have been using the term pickup game on basketball courts and board game parlors for, I dunno, as long as they have had them. It is not a GW term, it belongs to the WORLD.

Also for the two complaints I have already gotten about this thread and the report, I will address it here. I don't care, this is clearly a comedy thread and not a detailed news report or actual prediction of the future. This place could do with more fun threads, and given the standards of fun in here this qualifies. If you are basing your stock purchases or possible gaming futures off of a thread posted on the Somethingawful forums by noted shitposter Forums_Terrorist, who tells you his intentions RIGHT IN HIS NAME, you should reconsider.

That said, play nice in here.

PixelScum
Jan 21, 2009

I'M GOING BEARZERK
A given Games Workshop Store is technically not supposed to allow poo poo like games being played in the store, it's a franchise rule thing. Won't stop them from doing it but yeah.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'm going to guess September 9th, 2015. Because something something chaos numbers? That sounds right.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Going for November 20 2014, maybe they'll collapse in time for my birthday!

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

December 31, 2015.

Yeah that's right.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

K Prime posted:

December 31, 2015.

Yeah that's right.

Someone beat you to it.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009