Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the red corner, the current undisputed 3 time Comedy Central Wednesdayweight champion of TV, all the way from Rancho Cucamonga.... Workaholics

quote:

Workaholics follows Blake, Adam and Ders, three friends who work together as telemarketers from 9 to 5, live together from 5 to 9 and party together 24/7. Whether they're at their house in Rancho Cucamonga or getting ready to rage at a Renaissance Faire, the guys find trouble wherever they go.

I think we all know where the show is at right now. Last year we hit the inevitable queries of whether they've peaked or not, personally I still think it's great so I'll be watching again this year for sure. Nobody needs character breakdowns, so here's some stuff stolen from the Tumblr:

RIP Jet Set.

..and in the blue corner, the fresh faced challenger hailing from New York City... Broad City

quote:

The cult hit web series Broad City comes compliments of the collective brains of Abbi Jacobson + Ilana Glazer (both UCB alum). Called “sneak attack feminism” by the Wall Street Journal, the series follows two friends in New York City navigating their way though the minutiae that is life. Their ability to induce cringing and laughter simultaneously is the reason the girls can call people like Amy Poehler, Kristen Schaal, and Hannibal Buress fans and guest stars.

Started in late 2009, the series has been written up by the NY Times, Comedy Central, MTV, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, The Fader, Time Out New York, The A.V. Club and more. The series has been nominated for the ECNY’s “Best Web Series” award as have the girls individually — Abbi for illustration and Ilana for stand-up. Broad City is going to be on Comedy Central in early 2014 with Abbi and Ilana slated as Executive Producer alongside Ms. Amy loving Poehler.

This one passed me by until it was mentioned in Couch Chat, but within seconds of putting the episode on (available here if you don't want to wait until tonight), I knew it was going to be great. While I'm loathed to bring up 'Girls' - not because of the show itself, but the arguments that tend to get started - this was the show I was kind of expecting when I heard that Judd Apatow was involved. Despite there being a really, really, insanely strong female comedy base at the moment, most shows are still male dominated unless they're strictly aimed at women, so this is absolutely a step in the right direction. Broads should appeal to anyone who likes shows like Always Sunny, The League, Workaholics... anything where the main characters have a bit of meanness and attitude to them.

First episode has guest stars including Hannibal Burress, John Gemberling, Fred Armisen if you need some familiarity to get you going. The show fits the timeslot with Workaholics perfectly and my only regret is that having seen the first episode, I've got just over a week to see the next. Looks like I'll be hitting up the old web series videos today then...

The timeslot starts at 10pm/9 central on Comedy Central each Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I really, really enjoyed the first episode of Broad City (in fact I'm the guy that brought it up in Couch Chat) - strongly recommend that everyone check it out. The Girls comparison was the first thing to pop into my mind too but then I saw someone mention Flight Of The Conchords, which I think is actually a way better comparison. No music, but it's two friends occupying a very close, insular world together while being poor in New York City and constantly feeling as if they're on the verge of achieving something great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw the FoTC comparison on AVC I think? I'm not sure I see it a lot myself, I think it's a cynical show where (I remember) FoTC being more optimistic despite Murray being a useless manager. It's been a long time since I last watched mind.

Seeing a fair bit of love for the show on Twitter from the comedy community, hopefully it will get people watching.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

BROAD CITY for me is entertaining and absolutely humorous, but never broached a laugh. The leads are quite endearing and the whoevers behind the camera know what they're aiming for, so sooner than later it should figure itself out.

Here's hoping it performs so it can ripen to fabulous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The new Workaholics was hilarious to me but I saw the first half or so of Broad City and didn't laugh once. I don't think I had any expectations about it so I wouldn't say I was let down, but it wasn't a surprise hit either.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics was solid, I forgot it existed though. It seems like it's over the peak even though the episodes (second half of last season) have still been fairly decent. Not sure if it was really that great for a season premiere though. Broad City seemed all right. I'll probably watch it again and see where it goes. Hopefully it eschews Girls comparisons though because it did seem already to have its own identity to it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I thought Broad City was great and looks really promising. I'd never seen Girls so I'll best describe it as Workaholics if it was written by and starring women.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is Broad City available anywhere online? I saw people talking about it before tonight as if it were, and I'm pretty sure they weren't just talking about the web series.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Is Broad City available anywhere online?

Hulu, tomorrow. Maybe now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The link to the first episode of Broad City is in the OP already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Broad City was pretty good. I hope Hannibal Buress shows up more and the Fred Armisen scene was hilariously creepy. The two leads are good, although I had trouble understanding Ilana at first.

Workaholics I've only seen a few episodes of courtesy of friends but literally every one was like "they take acid and trip lol!!!!!!!!!" or "they take shrooms and trip lol!!!!!!!!", but I got a sense it was pretending to be a dumber show than it actually was. I might check it out I dunno

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The thing I really liked about Broad City was that the core relationship between Abby and Ilana had a realistic honesty to it that felt really true to life. If we're going to bring up Girls, as a 20-something city girl I never felt like I could relate to those characters or their friendships, whereas here it felt like Abby and Ilana could be me and my friends. It's a solid start, I'm in for the series :D

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bown posted:

Workaholics I've only seen a few episodes of courtesy of friends but literally every one was like "they take acid and trip lol!!!!!!!!!" or "they take shrooms and trip lol!!!!!!!!", but I got a sense it was pretending to be a dumber show than it actually was. I might check it out I dunno

Most of the episodes they just smoke weed, but this is the 2nd season premiere that they've ventured into harder stuff. The refreshing change? On Workaholics you can take MDMA or coke and it doesn't make you a bad person, nor do terrible things have to happen to you. Nothing worse than when you see a character use an illegal substance on a show and you know they're going to have a horrible consequence because of it, in the Workaholics world stuff goes wrong, but not really any worse than any other episode where they're just drinking/smoking. It's a nice change.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bown posted:

Broad City was pretty good. I hope Hannibal Buress shows up more and the Fred Armisen scene was hilariously creepy. The two leads are good, although I had trouble understanding Ilana at first.

Workaholics really clicked for me when I realized it's about guys in their mid to late 20's trying to figure out life after collage and the adult world. It also helps that our leads are also guys who grew up in the 90s. (One of the season one episodes has a cameo by Mark Summers :allears:)

And Broad City was REALLY good I thought. Can't wait for more. When I get the chance I will look at their web series.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always find reviews like the following always make me want to watch the show/movie in question:

pork minstral
Apr 27, 2004

Into the Void
A few episodes of Workaholics was enough for me, but I really really like Broad City and I'm hoping it catches on. Is it getting much of a marketing push outside of NYC?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Broad City was drat good, I thought it would be a sketch show for some reason, but it seems that it isn't.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The squeal from my girlfriend when John Gemberling appeared reminded me of how fat and bearded and currently wearing mesh shorts I am.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I turned on Broad City while waiting for the Daily Show and saw an adult baby five seconds later. It's a sign.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Broad City is fantastic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wait...this isn't one of them...chlorine pools is it?

gently caress I love Workaholics so much.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Admit it, they put in the whole koi pond bit for the fish puns.

Aww yeah, Hannibal Burress is in this episode of Broad City too.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Heaven is missing an Angel's dick!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
WHEN I WAS A KID I WAS PAID FIVE DOLLARS BY AN OLD MAN TO POOP IN A PIZZA BOX.

Jesus.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

WHEN I WAS A KID I WAS PAID FIVE DOLLARS BY AN OLD MAN TO POOP IN A PIZZA BOX.

Jesus.

It kind of just hit me how screwed up these guys are.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is my favorite scene in TV history.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I lied, the fish fight is my favorite scene ever in all media.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So many great lines in Broad City, don't know where to start.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

So many great lines in Broad City, don't know where to start.

Just the fact that this show has a grown rear end woman buying pot from a kid is the funniest loving thing.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

OH GOD! :gonk: Why in god's name would you think that was a good idea?!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And, as usual, Hannibal Buress is the best part of anything he's in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hannibal Buress is a national treasure.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And that is why you stay indoors after starting with a new dealer.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hannibal Burress has officially joined H. Jon Benjamin in the category of "Actors whose TV shows I will watch if he is in it."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So have the girls on this show done anything else? They both look familiar.

Where are your dogs?!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I saw the preview scene for "the va-henia is nature's pocket" about 10 times and it was still hilarious when I saw it. And the entire scene with Abbi tripping at the dentist. Somebody renew this show for another season right now.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Broad City is a really funny show. I can't wait to watch the rest of the season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, that fish fight in the empty pool is one of the best things I've seen on Workaholics in a long time :allears:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, that fish fight in the empty pool is one of the best things I've seen on Workaholics in a long time :allears:

Ya last nights episode was AMAZING.

I've got a whole salami platter down here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
So I really loved the first episode of Broad City which felt like a series of funny skits strung together, sort of a Girls meets Portlandia in the best way. The second episode was a rambling mess that did not hold my attention at all. Is the problem me or the show?

• Locked thread