Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

DJ Badger

And Rafi, a power team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I have a horrible feeling we might not have any Hannibal this episode :ohdear:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

I have a horrible feeling we might not have any Hannibal this episode :ohdear:
I'd say Badger makes up for it, but that would be a lie.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I am Bro Choice!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That Broad City was pretty drat brilliant. Love Abbi too but I find everything that Ilana Glazer does unbelievably funny. They were great on Getting Doug With High too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh sweet, I hadn't seen that episode... I'll have to throw it on.

Yeah, even without Hannibal that was a really fun episode, the reveal of DJ Rafi and DJ Badger was perfect.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
The discussion about L'Arc de Triomphe at the end of last night's episode was the hardest I've laughed at Broad City yet.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adam finally drops the facade and admits his body is terrible haha I loved that.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

GraPar posted:

That Broad City was pretty drat brilliant. Love Abbi too but I find everything that Ilana Glazer does unbelievably funny. They were great on Getting Doug With High too.

Ilana's physical comedy is brilliant. Her facial expressions just kill me in almost every scene.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics felt definitely more like it used to this time around, Broad City is eclipsing it though. It was really strong once again.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is broadcity the same type of humor as workaholics?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nah not really. It's hard to instantly compare it to anything offhand, it's "pretty cool". It has Hannibal Burress in it, does that help?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's not. Is it established that Hannibal is more than just a guest star though? I felt like they were slowly phasing him out and he was kind of there to help carry it initially.

Workaholics just feels like it's retreading ground a lot and isn't as clever as it once was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I always presumed he would be a minor, but recurring character. The show needs that with only a pair of leads, rather than an ensemble.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

I always presumed he would be a minor, but recurring character. The show needs that with only a pair of leads, rather than an ensemble.

Yeah, having him come in at the end last week when Ilana was eating garbage bagels was a good use of his character. If they just do funny little things like that I'm all for it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

tonic316 posted:

Is broadcity the same type of humor as workaholics?

For what it's worth, I couldn't connect with Workaholics after trying three episodes but Broad City was really crushing it. I was also a little worried that it might be more of the same or perhaps some bit of Sunny or perhaps Stoner humor. But it seems to have its own design which I'm really appreciating.

In some shows, the world is straight and the main characters are the quirky ones. Or the characters are straight and the world is unfair and they overcome it. I'm finding Broad City to be both. The main characters aren't awful scammers like Sunny but they do scam and swim between being good people and being scammers pretty effortlessly. But the world is just as fluid so it's often getting one over on them just as often. They're both so well lived in and drive comedy from both sides so drat well. It also dips its toes into the shallow end of surreal just often enough and uses sex and drugs the right amount to not be a stoner humor show.

I really want Hannibal to be in it about half the time. I like the flexibility for Ilana and Abi to be hooking up but I also totally like their support system that Hannibal and the immigrant dude provide.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Comedy Central keeps advertising Broad City as "Workaholics for broads" but I don't find that to be the case. I don't find it nearly as funny as Workaholics. Then again, even Workaholics hasn't been that great this season. It has its moments, sure, but there haven't been any instant classic episodes this season like there were in previous seasons.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Comedy Central keeps advertising Broad City as "Workaholics for broads" but I don't find that to be the case. I don't find it nearly as funny as Workaholics. Then again, even Workaholics hasn't been that great this season. It has its moments, sure, but there haven't been any instant classic episodes this season like there were in previous seasons.

Them ladies are funny, and act like the ones I know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There are some ladies that can be loving hilarious and even funnier than most men, but these ladies aren't them. They just do nothing for me.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Seriously. I know several people in real life who closely resemble the ladies on broad city. Eerily so. I know fewer people who remind directly of any of the gents on Workaholics, but that show rang very true for me in its first season. Still enjoy it though, just not as much.

Edit:/\/\/\ Different strokes, folks and so forth I guess.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Broad City is basically Girls if Girls was actually funny

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics this season has been terrible. Workaholics is more outrageous humor that doesn't fly in the real world, whereas Broad City's appeal is that it's pretty realistic for a mid-late 20s in the city type show. Considering there's been dozens of those types of shows, they're not very realistic. I think that's where the current Girls comparison comes in because it, on some level, tries to do something similar but also misses the mark. It's not as laugh out loud funny as Workaholics can be (and really hasn't this season), but it's more consistent and definitely clever. I don't see how they're THAT similar outside of marketing cheaply on "stoner humor" which is shortsighted on CC's part. Workaholics relies on nostalgia references and outrageousness, whereas Broad City, so far, is more about comedic struggle and exploring the interpersonal relationship between Abbi and Ilana. I can see that it's not for everyone, CC shouldn't market it as a female Workaholics at all. But given their schedule, I can see how they'd try to make it fit.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 21, 2014

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm definitely diggin' Broad City, and it does kinda remind me of Workaholics 'cause of the "dudebro" sorta humor they both seem to espouse.

Though personally I feel Workaholics has fallen a long way, and Broad City just keeps gettin' better.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Dancing Peasant posted:

Broad City is basically Girls if Girls was actually funny
I was gonna say this earlier but declined because it's still selling Broad City short.

Again, the producers could try adding jokes to Girls sometime. Probably not though!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Amy Poehler announced on Seth Meyers last night that Broad City was picked up for a second season :woop:
http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/broad-city-amy-poehler-renewed-comedy-central/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strong news, I hadn't checked the ratings so wasn't sure if it was just us watching or not. It's a show that definitely should keep existing.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Loving the show but haven't posted much, or at all come to think of it, here. Took me a while to check it out again as the pilot didn't hook me for some reason and I went back and watched it again today and still kind of feel it's not as good as the rest because it definitely kicks into higher gears an episode or two later.

John Gemberling throwing up his arms in futile desperation for his destroyed rotisserie chicken is golden.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Why are we expecting Comedy Central to market Broad City correctly? They're among the worst networks when it comes to handling their shows.

In any case, I'm glad that it's getting a second season. It's not as rip-roaringly funny as some other shows, but it's still funny, and it's clever. It's also pretty relatable if you're a 20something NYC dweller- the depictions of the NYU students last episode is pretty spot-on.

I haven't seen enough of previous seasons Workaholics to judge how well this season holds up, but it's a moot point for me because Legit is starting its new season tonight at the same time.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 26, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I love Broad City but it kinda feels like the little sister of a spectacular Tina Fey / Amy Poehler show that we never got, which bums me out a bit while I laugh.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Illinois Smith posted:

I love Broad City but it kinda feels like the little sister of a spectacular Tina Fey / Amy Poehler show that we never got, which bums me out a bit while I laugh.

That's probably why Amy produced the show. Watched it and thought "drat, that was me."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can the thread title be changed to include the word "boinkfest"?

The TV IV > CC Wednesday Boinkfest: Workaholics / Broad City

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Watch The League, you fuckin Andre.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Vodka soaked tampon! alcohol absorbs 50 times faster through the pooper...its science!

This guy feels like an Aqua Teen Hunger Force character and it's hilarious.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
This season of Workaholics has been pretty mediocre but I like this frat episode right now

I pretty much just want to see the main cast party, drink, and do drugs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bill is hilarious :allears:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Stan is the frat Topher

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I miss Topher so much.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
This Discount Gosling is actively depriving us of HannibalNEVERMIND THE EPISODE IS SAVED

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I can't inflict upon a dog the crazy life of a dentist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As an Upper East Side resident, yes, I can tell you it's that stuck-up in real life. Also I hate it here and I hang out more in Brooklyn and Queens.

• Locked thread