Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

pork minstral posted:

A few episodes of Workaholics was enough for me, but I really really like Broad City and I'm hoping it catches on.

This is definitely me. The third episode went turbo surreal and I'm not sure if that's a sign of their goal but then the crushing impact of the delivery guy being 11 minutes early was hilarious to me. I'll go where they want to take me, I'm solidly onboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm completely enjoying the series. Their pace and timing of jokes is kind of perfect and their guest characters have all be pretty great. Plus they're not irredeemable dicks when they're stuck trying to scam someone. They know they're being dicks, which is kind of a different take from other shows.

But seriously, they can't have Hannibal on too much. "Crushed it".

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

GraPar posted:

That Broad City was pretty drat brilliant. Love Abbi too but I find everything that Ilana Glazer does unbelievably funny. They were great on Getting Doug With High too.

Ilana's physical comedy is brilliant. Her facial expressions just kill me in almost every scene.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

tonic316 posted:

Is broadcity the same type of humor as workaholics?

For what it's worth, I couldn't connect with Workaholics after trying three episodes but Broad City was really crushing it. I was also a little worried that it might be more of the same or perhaps some bit of Sunny or perhaps Stoner humor. But it seems to have its own design which I'm really appreciating.

In some shows, the world is straight and the main characters are the quirky ones. Or the characters are straight and the world is unfair and they overcome it. I'm finding Broad City to be both. The main characters aren't awful scammers like Sunny but they do scam and swim between being good people and being scammers pretty effortlessly. But the world is just as fluid so it's often getting one over on them just as often. They're both so well lived in and drive comedy from both sides so drat well. It also dips its toes into the shallow end of surreal just often enough and uses sex and drugs the right amount to not be a stoner humor show.

I really want Hannibal to be in it about half the time. I like the flexibility for Ilana and Abi to be hooking up but I also totally like their support system that Hannibal and the immigrant dude provide.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 20, 2014

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I really love the idea that in some foreign country there's a kid naming his turtle nigga just so he can have someone he can be "cool" with. Hannibal's response was the perfect capper.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I like how they're continuing to throw in strange little mini dramas in the show that go surreal. Like this bizarre "fallen comrades" thing with Hannibal unveiling the irony of him being left out.

Slightly surprised that they were so explicit about Ilana's infatuation with Abbi considering they were a little more sly about it before and just hinted at it. That said, this show's "gut punch" effect when Abbi or Ilana get heartbreaking news just kills me.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Twee as gently caress posted:

I thought it was one of the weakest episodes of the season, but still really enjoyable. I think it's because Abby and Ilana spent so much time not bouncing off of each others, which is what I enjoy the most. I mean I like Hannibal but he's a much better foil to Ilana than Abby.

I think I'd agree it wasn't their strongest episode. I love Amy Sedaris with all my heart but I think that section was trying harder than necessary. Her dialogue felt perfectly "this world is fundamentally insane but maintaining" without the neck brace and comically narrow room. Like I'd have loved the white power reveal if it had one or two less elements, no salute perhaps. But Abbi's just amazing with her facial expressions and desperate explanations.

But I did love Abbi returning and her roommate doing everything possible to smooth things over including total detail of what he was doing and why it was important. And Hannibal again crushed it, as did Ilana in general especially in the dentist's office.

I really like the show having its toes in the surreal just I think they got waist deep this time and didn't need to.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is also a good use of Amy Poehler.

I agree. I've never actually liked her much in stuff and I was a bit worried when she was in the promos for this episode but she was perfect and her scenes just made the front of house stuff even better. One thing I love about the world of this show is that every single thing is both hosed up and maintaining. There's no straight man who makes the jokes funny by being a reference point or a cartoon who exists only as a punchline for a joke, they're just messed up people who keep on getting by somehow. I've seen each episode at least twice and most times I could see each side character having their own show where Abbi and Ilana are just part of the crazy soup they wade through each day. Hell, the only character who seems to have the whole thing figured out is Hannibal. But at least he's not smug or making fun of the other characters.

Anyway, the season finished with a really great finale. Can't be sure, but I think the hospital scene was my favorite. Just that they wrote in a scene of it getting real and the characters had to let it stay real until it was over. Killed me.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you don't dislike Kroll Show, she was amazing as one of the Rich Dicks' sisters a few weeks back, one of my favourite things I've ever seen her in (somehow I never used to care for her that much, now I think she's the greatest).

Yeah, I have trouble even making it through a full episode of Kroll Show. :) I'm just not able to enjoy their style of comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
They had a lot of music in Broad City. Perhaps that made them more careful about keeping it up longer.

Also, for what its worth, they have blurbs that the iTunes Comedy Central app has the full season of Broad City. I have every reason to expect the episodes have evaporated from there as well but if you have an iPad or iphone, it's worth downloading and checking there.

• Locked thread