Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics was solid, I forgot it existed though. It seems like it's over the peak even though the episodes (second half of last season) have still been fairly decent. Not sure if it was really that great for a season premiere though. Broad City seemed all right. I'll probably watch it again and see where it goes. Hopefully it eschews Girls comparisons though because it did seem already to have its own identity to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I love how Blake's always the butt of those jokes even though Adam's lays are probably more pathetic. Another solid one from Workaholics, felt about on par with the first episode of the season.

Broad City was okay. It did feel a little bit jumbled and incoherent at times. I think they're trying to include stuff from the web series (which I haven't seen) into some kind of coherency. I think after 4 or 5 episodes, it'll be smoother. Hannibal Burress kind of saved it and I'm not even a huge Hannibal fan. The "vagina is nature's pocket" joke is pretty hackneyed. I liked Abi's old friend Cheese has a kid and acts all above weed then pops a xanax with wine. All too real. I think it did a decent job teetering the line of smoking a ton of weed and getting weird but not LSD weird which too many shows do. I want to see more of the foreign/gay roommate and it looks like we'll see Abi's love interest unfold next episode. I'll keep watching but I thought this first one episode was definitely more coherent.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 31, 2014

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Both episodes were weaker this time around I think. Broad City was better than Workaholics, but both were mediocre.

Workaholics really going for the gross out stuff this time around, they're better when they reign it in a bit.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 7, 2014

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Harry posted:

I think it was the beginning of last season when they started to lose it for me. The first couple of episodes were really really weird.

The last half of the season was really weak. "In Line" and "Webcam Girl" were the only two solid episodes I thought. "Hungry Like the Wolf Dog" wasn't terrible but it suffered from not reigning in the gross out stuff there again. The rest are really forgettable.

I wonder if Broad City is slowly going to phase Hannibal out. It was good to see Rachel Dratch and Janeane Garofalo play straight women to Ilana too.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 9, 2014

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm definitely preferring Broad City over Workaholics this season. Workaholics seems to have gone downhill, hopefully it redeems itself. I feel it's on it's last couple of seasons with the way they're all branching out. Broad City was good, a little weaker than the previous few episodes but still solid.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics felt definitely more like it used to this time around, Broad City is eclipsing it though. It was really strong once again.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's not. Is it established that Hannibal is more than just a guest star though? I felt like they were slowly phasing him out and he was kind of there to help carry it initially.

Workaholics just feels like it's retreading ground a lot and isn't as clever as it once was.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Workaholics this season has been terrible. Workaholics is more outrageous humor that doesn't fly in the real world, whereas Broad City's appeal is that it's pretty realistic for a mid-late 20s in the city type show. Considering there's been dozens of those types of shows, they're not very realistic. I think that's where the current Girls comparison comes in because it, on some level, tries to do something similar but also misses the mark. It's not as laugh out loud funny as Workaholics can be (and really hasn't this season), but it's more consistent and definitely clever. I don't see how they're THAT similar outside of marketing cheaply on "stoner humor" which is shortsighted on CC's part. Workaholics relies on nostalgia references and outrageousness, whereas Broad City, so far, is more about comedic struggle and exploring the interpersonal relationship between Abbi and Ilana. I can see that it's not for everyone, CC shouldn't market it as a female Workaholics at all. But given their schedule, I can see how they'd try to make it fit.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 21, 2014

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think this one was the best one in a while and that's not saying much.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's like they completely forgot what the show was about. Now it's just too much gross out scenes. The dialog is still funny most of the time but there's only been like 1-2 episodes either in the office or without some gratuitous gross out humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Does Workaholics come back? I think CC's going to market Broad City differently now that it's taken off.

I'm not super into the shorts. I really liked all the episodes (except maybe the NYC/Cell phone episode) but the show finds a better balance to them (and referential humor) than the shorts or the web series. I feel like I wouldn't be into the live show.

• Locked thread