Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brb on fire
May 12, 2013
Teemo... isn't really that painful early on unless you're the kind of guy who cares about Blind. But that's not the reason people hate him. His DoT, nuke and movement buff make him annoying to fight, but what really shits the bed is his ultimate, Noxious Trap.

Imagine, if you will, your jungle. Imagine every single bush in it can take a large chunk of your health away. When you fight a Teemo, the whole map becomes a minefield. You find yourself desperately sweeping every single bush, because if that Teemo built for damage then each and every single part of the map could be hiding a mushroom shaped atom bomb. To facecheck when Teemo is around is like trying to simply walk into Mordor, and goes about as well.

And then you play him. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Sounds like he's the sort of champ I really need to pick up.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
"Unfair" is the word that springs to mind.

I love Teemo as much as the next newbie, and I enjoy playing him enough that I bought the Super Teemo skin to be super annoying. But his traps are ridiculous compared to other champions. Their stuff is either limited in number or expire within a minute. It's understandable that people get worked up about him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tae posted:

What's a good standard combo for Xin? Am I supposed to activate W first, then E, then Q?

E->W->Q, almost instantly one after the other. E gets you up in their face, W buffs your attack speed, which helps get out Q faster, and then Q refreshes the cooldowns of E and W with each strike.

But it also heavily depends on where you're playing him. That's a hard, all-in, gank-y combo and doing it too much is going to blow all your mana if you're in lane. And like all gap-closers on junglers, any time you can manage to hold onto E for if/when they try to Flash or otherwise get away, then all the better.

If you are in lane, the other option is to activate Q, hit minions twice, then E in and hit the knockup on your opponent. If they turn on you or you smell blood, hit W to hammer on them and win trades. There's also always the option of just walking up to them and hitting W->Q and bullying them a bit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
As far as hated champs though, I still find Nidalee the most annoying and unfun to play against. Especially when I see her in ARAM.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Zerilan posted:

Why do people seem to specifically hate Teemo so much?

The same reason Mordekaiser es numbero uno. We League players take jokes and run them into the ground, hard.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Anyone have some tips on playing Taric? I want that pink skin. I have tried him a few times, though, and his kit just confuses me and my ADC yells at me.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Anyone have some tips on playing Taric? I want that pink skin. I have tried him a few times, though, and his kit just confuses me and my ADC yells at me.

Don't use your stun randomly for no reason. It's a pretty long cooldown and you can be punished for it.

When you do use your stun, make sure it's for a good reason. The most common reason is going in to battle. When using your stun, take into account that is has a travel time.

The general rotation is E -> auto attack -> W -> auto attack -> R -> auto attack. This is to get the most out of your passive. When you're not going in, top off your ADC every now and again with your heal. Make sure you have enough mana for stun always, though.

That's all there really is to Taric. Dazzle bitches and shred some armor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Dregs posted:

I wrote a guide for him last season in the old thread, but Latex Fetish's quickie guide is mostly right. Though I'd remind to you use your R before your W, because it's a steroid. It doesn't boost his Shatter damage itself anymore, but it DOES provide bonus damage to the auto attacks you're weaving in between skills and it buffs nearby champions. The cooldown is relatively short, too.

For using your stun, remember that as long as your stun is ready to throw, you can deny an area just by standing there even without throwing it. The threat of your stun is going to do work on it's own, so save your stun for either catching someone when they're out of position (not right at your maximum range where nobody can hit them while stunned) or peeling for your carry when THEY are the dumbass that is out of position.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zerilan posted:

As far as hated champs though, I still find Nidalee the most annoying and unfun to play against. Especially when I see her in ARAM.

I hate Nidalee because if I get one on my team she will hit roughly zero spears on anyone ever. Other Team Nidalee is on amphetamines and hits approximately 100% of all spears on my idiot teammates and me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Zaodai posted:

For using your stun, remember that as long as your stun is ready to throw, you can deny an area just by standing there even without throwing it. The threat of your stun is going to do work on it's own, so save your stun for either catching someone when they're out of position (not right at your maximum range where nobody can hit them while stunned) or peeling for your carry when THEY are the dumbass that is out of position.

This should be something that everyone with a way to initiate that people fear take to heart, for the record. Especially as support. Taric, Leona, Thresh, and Blitz all thrive from being able to zone your opponents just with your existence. No one wants to get hit by Death Sentence, Rocket Grab, Zenith Blade, or Dazzle because it means a free opportunity for you to trash them. Don't waste your initiate if you can't afford it, it keeps people scared enough to keep them off you.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
Where can I learn laning mechanics for support? I would like to know the art of supporting well. I recently picked up Annie as my support and have really been enjoying timing my stuns situationally but as for just laning while trying to help my ADC I am at a loss of what the best practices are. Obviously I shouldn't be taking farm, and poking the enemy champ when needed but what else is there?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Catsoup posted:

Where can I learn laning mechanics for support? I would like to know the art of supporting well. I recently picked up Annie as my support and have really been enjoying timing my stuns situationally but as for just laning while trying to help my ADC I am at a loss of what the best practices are. Obviously I shouldn't be taking farm, and poking the enemy champ when needed but what else is there?

Zone the enemy by being threatening with your hard cc. Try to match your aggression to your ADCs. Ward well. Watch the map. Try to figure out your enemy's habits. Spam laugh.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Catsoup posted:

Be the Dragon/Baron timer, help your ADC not tunnel vision. If you just scored a double kill and took the tower, tell them "hey we've got time, let's grab dragon", then ping and remark when dragon pops back up. Put your one vision ward in the bush by dragon. Make sure to grab one of the income items at the start, they're for you and they help a lot (typically coin, though Relic/Targon's is situationally better for tanky supports.)

Above all, be aware of Dragon, though. Dragon timing wins games.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

I hate Nidalee because if I get one on my team she will hit roughly zero spears on anyone ever. Other Team Nidalee is on amphetamines and hits approximately 100% of all spears on my idiot teammates and me.

Yeah even when the Nidalee has poo poo aim it's just unfun having to play "dodge the spear constantly or take a stupid amount of damage."

Also after realizing that probably by biggest problem is over aggressive and dying too much from engaging too early or overpursuing, been trying to play a lot more cautiously and dying a lot less.

I imagine playing too conservatively and learning when to be aggressive is probably better than the other way around. Seems like the worst thing I can do in a lot of cases is give the other team free kills.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Honestly, Teemo needs to be nerfed. The vision changes have put him over the top - he's always been a sort of win lane, lose game champ, but his contributions to teamfights and area control are way to strong right now and he needs a hit or two.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Darth Windu posted:

Honestly, Teemo needs to be nerfed. The vision changes have put him over the top - he's always been a sort of win lane, lose game champ, but his contributions to teamfights and area control are way to strong right now and he needs a hit or two.

He's weak pre-6 and still doesn't really roam well. His shrooms are still strong, but Lens actually makes them somewhat easier to deal with than Oracles did in the first place.

He's certainly still a matchup based selection up top rather than some kind of overpowered god king.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Queuedodged when the team said that I had to go jungler or they would all report me, then played a game trying to support a powerfarming Sivir who called me garbage because I was trying to help the other team. Then played a game where me and MF fed relentlessly in botlane because Twitch's stealth is a thing of ultimate bullshit.

I think that's enough league for today.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Monathin posted:

Queuedodged when the team said that I had to go jungler or they would all report me, then played a game trying to support a powerfarming Sivir who called me garbage because I was trying to help the other team. Then played a game where me and MF fed relentlessly in botlane because Twitch's stealth is a thing of ultimate bullshit.

The thing about bot lane is that there's two of you. Just because your ADC keeps doing stupid poo poo doesn't mean you need to be there to die too. When I get an overly aggressive ADC, I tell them I will engage and they should just follow up.

If they keep being dumb/getting caught out/an rear end in a top hat then tell them to ward, watch for roams, and then roam to mid or top. If you can set up a nice gank to get your mid laner going, that's pretty good for your team.

There's been plenty of games where my ADC has gone 0/4/0 by 10 minutes, but that our team has pulled out because a roaming Leona is pretty absurd early. Watch this, though, because you need to make sure you don't get behind in levels.

Also Twitch is one of the best ADCs to carry with in lower ELO because his stealth does poo poo on a lot of people. He gets attack speed from his stealth too. Three auto attacks and one W followed by E and your ADC is probably dead.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Monathin posted:

You hate Twitch now? He used to have a fifty second stealth.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

LaTex Fetish posted:

The thing about bot lane is that there's two of you. Just because your ADC keeps doing stupid poo poo doesn't mean you need to be there to die too. When I get an overly aggressive ADC, I tell them I will engage and they should just follow up.

If they keep being dumb/getting caught out/an rear end in a top hat then tell them to ward, watch for roams, and then roam to mid or top. If you can set up a nice gank to get your mid laner going, that's pretty good for your team.

There's been plenty of games where my ADC has gone 0/4/0 by 10 minutes, but that our team has pulled out because a roaming Leona is pretty absurd early. Watch this, though, because you need to make sure you don't get behind in levels.

Also Twitch is one of the best ADCs to carry with in lower ELO because his stealth does poo poo on a lot of people. He gets attack speed from his stealth too. Three auto attacks and one W followed by E and your ADC is probably dead.

Yeah, that's probably what I should have been doing, but I've been playing on tilt heavily all day today so I'm just going to try again tomorrow instead of ram my head against a brick wall.

Also, the game in which we were behind was pretty terrible because our Renekton was complaining about everyone while willingly engaging in 1v2s that he was just going to die to and then asking why we ran away.

Soulcleaver posted:

Stealth is kind of a bullshit mechanic and I don't mind when it's something that can be easily predicted or is on some sort of long cooldown but it seems like literally any time that game we tried to engage with an advantage twitch came out of nowhere and popped us. So gently caress Twitch.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Soulcleaver posted:

He loving what. How on earth did Riot think that was a good idea?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
If you have an idiot as an ADC who is flaming you or going for braindead engages, just ditch him and go to a lane that's doing well that you can snowball. You don't need to put up with that poo poo because you're the carry that's getting him through laning and he owes you for keeping him alive :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Flipswitch posted:

Better still, whenever he deigned to come out of stealth, he gained an attack speed bonus...but its duration was equal to the time he spent in stealth.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

John Murdoch posted:

Better still, whenever he deigned to come out of stealth, he gained an attack speed bonus...but its duration was equal to the time he spent in stealth.

:stare:

Anivia is literally the most hilarious teamfighting champ I've ever had the privilege to play when you manage to get Athene's/Seraph's/Liandry's. I just sat there in my ult throwing the occasionally Q and E and the other team had to beg me in all chat to leave their base, while I casually stole their blue on the way out. Anivia is a wonderful champion. :allears:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Flipswitch posted:

Some earlier iterations of champions had hilarious kits. I wasn't around for it but I believe TF used to have his global on his E and wildcards had the same range as nidalee spears or something absurd like that. Jax could dodge tower hits and Vayne's R quadrupled her movement speed. :D

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
You know, Jayce is a shitton of fun, playing him made top lane actually fun, as I poo poo all over an enemy Pantheon to the point where me walking towards him in Hammer form was enough to get a flash.

But you know what's even better? Picking Heimer cause some rear end in a top hat on the other team took Jayce and so thoroughly crushing him in lane that sending one rocket barrage at him was enough to get a barrier out of him. He managed to build an Infinity Edge and a Long Sword and get just shy of 100 CS in a 26 minute game. Spite is a wonderful thing. :allears:

GoldenSeraph
Mar 8, 2006
reincarnation time!
Just picked up Gragas and I love this guy. I love his laning phase and how he can just throw barrels for days to harass. I have been watching videos on him and played him a few times so far. Is it normal now to pick up another Doran's after Boots? or Should I try to build Athene's after boots asap? I read that Sorc Boots, Athene's, and Deathcap are essential to build first then Void Staff and Hourglass? What else is good for Gragas?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Detection was quite a lot easier back then. You could plop down a lane pink and be relatively safe for some time, and since supports were pretty much wardbots anyways it wasn't considered a huge deal.

Venom Cask also used to be a champ-centered AoE slow with a massive diameter. I think it was about Expunge range? The slow scaled with venom stacks, too. If Twitch successfully ambushed someone, they weren't getting away.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

Detection was quite a lot easier back then. You could plop down a lane pink and be relatively safe for some time, and since supports were pretty much wardbots anyways it wasn't considered a huge deal.

Venom Cask also used to be a champ-centered AoE slow with a massive diameter. I think it was about Expunge range? The slow scaled with venom stacks, too. If Twitch successfully ambushed someone, they weren't getting away.
Ah, that makes sense I guess!

Here's a question for goons. I'm looking to play more Diana (with my experience being mostly in ARAM or Dominion) and I kinda want to play her as a jungler. With the 6th slot now being taken up by a jungle item, do you think it's worth going for both a Lich Bane and a Nashors, or just the one?

I'm thinking (game depending) that my average build is going to be
Sorc Shoes
Spirit of the Wraith dude
Nashors/Lich
Zhonyas
Void Staff

Then either Rabadons or Abyssal, or I could potentially make the Lich Bane the 6th item. I'm trying to figure out how vital Rabadons actually is.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Flipswitch posted:

Ah, that makes sense I guess!

Here's a question for goons. I'm looking to play more Diana (with my experience being mostly in ARAM or Dominion) and I kinda want to play her as a jungler. With the 6th slot now being taken up by a jungle item, do you think it's worth going for both a Lich Bane and a Nashors, or just the one?

I'm thinking (game depending) that my average build is going to be
Sorc Shoes
Spirit of the Wraith dude
Nashors/Lich
Zhonyas
Void Staff

Then either Rabadons or Abyssal, or I could potentially make the Lich Bane the 6th item. I'm trying to figure out how vital Rabadons actually is.

If the enemy team has a good amount of MR and magic damage themselves then Abyssal is a very good idea, otherwise Rabadon's/Lichbane if you want to nuke people really really hard.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

It was largely silly and pointless, because in order to get a 50 second buff, you had to spend 50 seconds not doing anything, beyond maybe acting as a living ward.

And as you might guess, considering how his stealth worked, he was played in the jungle rather than as an ADC.

TheChad posted:

Some earlier iterations of champions had hilarious kits. I wasn't around for it but I believe TF used to have his global on his E and wildcards had the same range as nidalee spears or something absurd like that. Jax could dodge tower hits and Vayne's R quadrupled her movement speed. :D

I knew about most of these, even though they're all before my time, but I just had to go look up the full changelog for Twisted Fate. He was a complete clusterfuck of abilities:
- His original passive was a global team crit bonus.
- His original Q was some kind of targeted mark thing and/or silence? I've never heard of it at all before.
- Wild Cards was originally W, but was then moved to Q when they added Pick a Card. It also had some kind of weird variable damage thing going on, and if I'm understanding this correctly, a facing-based spell rather than a skillshot.
- Locking in Blue Card only added bonus magic damage, no mana restore, but let you chain Pick a Card. Gold Card was an AoE, and yes, it still stunned.
- As was said, Gate was his E, and as a non-ultimate, had a much faster cooldown. As low as 30 seconds, base.
- His ult was just the reveal effect, but it also had a slow attached and allowed him to cast Gate faster.

I also feel like you can't bring up Jax (who, incidentally, also went through a crazy number of changes) without pointing out that Dodge used to be a stat. It was the opposite of crit; it was a defensive stat that gave all incoming auto-attacks a chance to miss and deal zero damage. It existed on four champion abilities, Ninja Tabi, Phantom Dancer, and runes. But that's okay, old Sword of the Divine's active made your attacks undodgeable. :D

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dodge was such horseshit. It was impossible to balance, because it was fairly inconsistent for pretty much everyone but Jax, but when those odds came through you'd just win fights seemingly at random because it was total damage reduction. Jax had the ability to get enough dodge he could actually count on it to save him from a bunch of damage every fight while he beat people to death with a lamp post.

Some people also believed in getting a single source of dodge regardless of how small the chance was because it's like people running a single crit rune now. Even if it was a low chance, it was now a non-zero chance and if it proc'd it could swing a lane in your favor early.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

John Murdoch posted:

It was largely silly and pointless, because in order to get a 50 second buff, you had to spend 50 seconds not doing anything, beyond maybe acting as a living ward.

And as you might guess, considering how his stealth worked, he was played in the jungle rather than as an ADC.

I also feel like you can't bring up Jax (who, incidentally, also went through a crazy number of changes) without pointing out that Dodge used to be a stat. It was the opposite of crit; it was a defensive stat that gave all incoming auto-attacks a chance to miss and deal zero damage. It existed on four champion abilities, Ninja Tabi, Phantom Dancer, and runes. But that's okay, old Sword of the Divine's active made your attacks undodgeable. :D

That makes sense, every time I see somebody play Twitch, they play him like Teemo (caster who happens to autoattack a lot) more than they play him like MF or Lucian (ADCs who happen to cast spells a lot).

That's kind of amusing, dodge seems like something that would be fun to stack lots of but obnoxious to actually deal with. If you got a crit and they got a dodge, would it just hit as a normal autoattack?

Also, do you think you could get away with not building Manamune on Jayce if you went BOTRK first and just went into Hammer form whenever you were low on mana? I feel like he could manage with that but at the same time it means getting into melee range which could be rather dangerous for him, a non-super tank in top lane.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm almost level 30 too. Woo! I think I might just go right into ranked and try it out and then use it as a way to set goals for practice, but I haven't decided yet.

Edit 2: It's a really miserable feeling to lose lane (as an ADC, no less) and thus a game just because your game crashed in the beginning and you missed the first three levels of lane, coming into lane 0 to 38 CS already. I get that it's a competitive game but it's really annoying when the enemy team reacts to 4v5 by going really hard and just being assholes about it.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 31, 2014

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Hi newbie thread! I recently made a video about playing Master Yi in Season 4. Master Yi is a decent champion for new players to pick up because he farms easily, has no skill shots... and he can CARRY! The trade off is that you have to be patient and pick your spots to go in carefully or you will feed like an idiot. I finished Gold 1 last season with Master Yi as my most played champion, so if you are new to jungling, or not very good at it maybe you can take something away from this video :).

Season 4 jungle Master Yi

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Manamune isn't nearly as strong on Jayce as it used to be when he could build stacks by switching between stances. It's still good, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory if you can get away with it in favor of more other stats for your matchup.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Zaodai posted:

Manamune isn't nearly as strong on Jayce as it used to be when he could build stacks by switching between stances. It's still good, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory if you can get away with it in favor of more other stats for your matchup.

I really wish they'd just have something that built off Chalice into an item with some form of Attack Damage, since that'd be way better for him than Manamune. Honestly I've been thinking about picking up Last Whisper as my first big ticket item, then going into the standard AD complements. Manamune is so neutered now that that route's probably better, and if you're really having mana problems, you can pick up Athene's or Crucible later if you absolutely must.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 1, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Get chalice and don't upgrade it into anything. Alternately, rely only on auto attacks unless you have blue buff.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Monathin posted:

I really wish they'd just have something that built off Chalice into an item with some form of Attack Damage, since that'd be way better for him than Manamune. Honestly I've been thinking about picking up Last Whisper as my first big ticket item, then going into the standard AD complements. Manamune is so neutered now that that route's probably better, and if you're really having mana problems, you can pick up Athene's or Crucible later if you absolutely must.

I was just thinking about that today too, there really should be an AD Chalice upgrade, though I imagine that would completely render Manamune irrelevant if it isn't already (who still uses it, blue Ezrael?).

Still, nerfed into the ground or not, utterly crushing a Teemo as Jayce to the point where just not having minions between him and I was enough to get a flash out of him is a great feeling. Cannon E-Q R Hammer Q-E is such a hilarious combo if you land all of it, I could make him go 100-20 in nothing flat and if I went back to Cannon and hit him with my W autos he was dead, he couldn't even stay in lane. :allears:

I heard Trinity force is good on Jayce, perhaps I could build that for my mana issues. I just wish that its Sheen proc scaled to bonus AD or something, cause Sheen/Tri/Iceborn all feel really underpowered and weak compared to Lich Bane and I end up not getting them cause they don't feel like they're making me significantly more powerful.

Edit: How am I supposed to lane against Ryze? Cause I got to do it for the first time just now and it was completely miserable, he did 3 or 4 times my damage from the start (playing Anivia), barely used mana, and he apparently scales damage from mana so I couldn't ever hope to push him out of lane. He felt like the mid lane equivalent of laning against loving Nasus, you're just watching as he gets so many multiples of your power no matter how hard you try to fight him.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Lightning Knight posted:

I was just thinking about that today too, there really should be an AD Chalice upgrade, though I imagine that would completely render Manamune irrelevant if it isn't already (who still uses it, blue Ezrael?).

I know I used to beeline for it on like, AD Blizcrank builds, but yeah, Manamune was essentially rendered completely irrelevant because it had huge stats and Jayce could max it out by like the 20 minute mark.

Though an AD Chalice upgrade wouldn't be so bad. Mana Font + a resonable amount of AD instead of Manamune's scaling AD + effect. Make it about as easy to upgrade as Athene's and I could see it useful for a mana hungry bruiser and give them a little more viability.

How're you building Jayce, LK? I can never seem to get him rolling, and I'm wondering if I'm just loving up somewhere.

• Locked thread