Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Unluckyimmortal posted:

Started playing a little while ago, I'm level 16 at the moment. I'm wondering if I should use the LoLking list to pick a different champion because I've been playing a lot of games with Vayne recently and doing okay I think, but Vayne's winrate is pretty bad. Does this indicate I should be playing something else, or should I not worry about it for now? For what it's worth I'm planning on picking up and learning Teemo once I have the IP.

A fed Vayne can shovel entire teams into the dumpster on her own. The problem is getting fed against teams who know that Vayne's laning phase sucks really badly and capitalizes on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Lightning Knight posted:

Wow. Nasus... sucks. Like seriously, I get why he's good and being so hilariously tanky was kind of amusing but Nasus sucks, all he does is show you how poo poo you are at last hitting (I don't think I broke 150 stacks in a 30 minute game) and let you feed a Pantheon of all things into a monster. But even if I were any good, Nasus sucks, he's just so boring, he's literally "last hit under tower for 30-40 minutes, 2 shot nexus."

I learned how to last hit because of Nasus. No offense, but if you can't last hit with Soul Siphon helping, you desperately need to practice last hitting, and I'm saying this as a guy who rarely breaks 300 stacks by the end of the game.

E: and to your second post, Nasus stops being boring really fast when people stop rolling over and screaming constantly when Nasus gets through. If they're trying to shut you down, you have to play a much trickier game, which keeps me engaged.

Previous Jesus posted:

One nice thing about Nasus is that just getting into the pattern of Q farming makes you more or less freeze your lane inherently, so you're not really at risk of getting ganked.

Actually, Nasus is extremely easy to gank if you set it up well. His single escape option is Wither, so a 2v1 gank usually completely fucks him over unless he burns his ultimate and/or Flash. Nasus's big weakness is being shut down by gankers and pressure denying him early farm in lane.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

I'm getting back into League after a few months away. Last night I actually saw people other than me call fill at champ select... and all of my games (L30 normals) had people calling support. I felt like I had stepped into bizarro League. Am I getting matchmade with particularly selfless players for some reason, or is jungle the new role nobody wants for this season?

I'm definitely not complaining- I love support, but I love jungling even more, even if I'm crap with anyone less tanky than Nunu/Naut/Rammus. (Trundle and Vi are very cool champs but I just don't feel all that useful with them.)

Secondary question: I hear Annie's a support now? How does that work? Did the League general population learn how to count to 4 or something?

As far as I can tell, support has gone from the role nobody ever wants to play to basically being "crouching support, hidden kill lane" because of the newly popular support meta. A lot of the really popular supports (Annie, Leona, Thresh, and even Lux at my skill level) can crush the other team given half the chance. They're less healbots and more poking, initiating, disabling monsters.

And yeah, that's why Annie's a support. Her stun got nerfed because everybody realized a reliable and incredibly long stun meant that you could just poo poo all over bot lane with a carry to help you. In exchange, she can use Tibbers a lot more often.

Meanwhile, I looked over in the main thread and it seems like people are real angry about jungling changes, but I'm too new to really see/understand any differences.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, Rammus's entire schtick is to be a counterpick to Yi and other fast, murderous AA assassins. He waddles in, taunts, activates his spiky shield, and lets the squishy carry/assassin kill themselves on his shell.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
"Y'all need to stop focusing the tank and support, noobs :smug:"

- An enemy Malphite who kept diving in too far, getting ultimated by me (Warwick) and my buddy (Malzahar), and turned into fine paste when his carry doesn't actually engage (alternatively, at me ulting Sona when Varus was well out of my range and Sivir was in range to chunk her, which somehow made both teams call me a scrub.)

I'll admit it made me a bit frustrated, but at the same time I counterbalanced that with the satisfaction I got for reporting half of both teams at the end of the match, so there's that.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Fair enough. I just didn't/don't know how Malphite works beyond "oh holy poo poo he's in the middle of all of us, under tower, and about to crush our carry PANIC," so that's what I did.

Another Post About How Being Nice Works: I ended up as support Thresh with two teammates who couldn't type four words without misspelling half of them, a Pantheon obviously trying to emulate Curse's Pantheon jungle and failing, and a bottom lane Teemo only there because the mid laner refused to budge. I coached Teemo, never lost my patience despite the enemy Kennen running a train on mid lane and the enemy Ashe/Volibear across our lane constantly smashing Teemo to pieces, and kept calling shots and complimenting good plays. We got every single dragon because their team kept trying to full-team into lanes like wrecking balls, and once Teemo turned into a beautiful, mushroom-vomiting butterfly, we regained enough map control to turn team fights and counter-ganks our way with clever Akali/Thresh/Teemo table-turning. We ended up crushing them in a final teamfight as their fed but outplayed Kennen cried bitter tears in allchat and we smashed our way through the mid inhibitor all the way to the nexus in one go.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I joined the Dark Side and bought Mundo cause he was on sale. Can I get some general tips for him? Items, skill order, play style, etc. I put him through his paces in the jungle during a bot match and actually killed myself in a camp early on because I didn't realize how brutal his early HP costs are (and boy was I humiliated :ughh:), but by the end it felt like I was the familiar wrecking ball I've had to face so many times hauling rear end out of the enemy jungle/top lane.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, uh, why don't I see more people playing Ryze? Because after giving him a spin, it seems that if you're fast with his full combo, you just straight up chunk people before they can even react.

Seriously, he's fun as hell. "Oh, I see you're out of position! [R > Q > E/W > Q > W/E > Q] :vd:"

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

KillerQueen posted:

Does Warwick's ult continue through a Zhonya's activation? If so, pure AP Warwick would be funny. DFG>ult>Zhonya's>Q and the adc is gone.

It's a channel, so I don't think so.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I may take the night off League. I go in for my first game, I say I'm willing to fill, the rest of the team fills up quickly aside from a guy who says he can't carry or jungle when those are the only two positions open. He then says "Wait, supp" (when we've already got a support ready to go), switches to Master Yi with Ghost and Barrier, and only says "truuuust me, i sup" when called out.

Yeah, I dodged that. I'd be up for a gimmick lane if bot lane wasn't infested with matchups that amount to "Oh, you're trying something goofy? Allow us to all-in you at level two and smash our way to the inhibitor by fifteen minutes."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, the dust's settled a bit on the Xerath rework. Anyone got any build order suggestions? I've been tooling around with a few, and I can't quite decide on a first item that feels right, or isn't ridiculously expensive unless you're getting fed hard.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm relatively new, I picked up Teemo out of the blue to screw around with him because of his reputation, and even I saw that he was loving ridiculous. Given enough time and money, a single mushroom could chunk most of a carry's health if they weren't rushing MR (and why the hell would they be, they're the carry), and seriously gently caress up anybody but the tank. That's on top of their ability to be a gently caress-you forest of map control, vision, slow, and zoning. If Teemo is left alone long enough to set up a mushroom forest, not even five sweepers will get rid of them all before someone stumbles into one, gets mangled by Liandry's/massive scaling/poison, and gets pounced on by a passing teammate.

Add his Q - untouched by that PBE update - which can vaporize people's health at terrifying speeds mid-to-late game, and you get insane damage potential on an annoying little bastard that'll never be caught if he's not bad or tilting.

I'm not saying "delete Teemo" because he's easily squished in lane if you play right and he's godawful in a teamfight beyond nuking one person before his global taunt draws the entire enemy team on top of him, but his mushrooms were frankly a little ludicrous, even as the guy using them. Some guy mentioned either upthread in here or in the main thread that a more interesting nerf might be to let you see them just before you'd hit them, which might be fun, but a damage cut might slake the bloodthirst of the masses more effectively.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Smith Comma John posted:

They're only halving Teemo shroom AP scaling, not total damage. At level 16 even if you have 500 AP it's less than a 24% damage reduction. The max base damage on those things is high as poo poo especially with Liandry's.

Alright, because this started to bug me and I need an excuse to justify my stats courses, I decided to whip up a quick Excel sheet to crunch some numbers :science:

Grabbing a random Jinx build to match against a random Teemo build out of the aether (and ignoring runes/masteries):

Level 18 Jinx has a base HP of 1860 and an MR of 30. Odds are she'll have a single defensive item in her six, Guardian Angel, which gives +40 more MR.

This build's level 18 fully kitted Teemo has 520 AP and 30 MPen, plus Liandry's Torment. With current mushroom scaling, assuming Jinx has an effective MR of zero (if she's going full ham), one mushroom should deal 1028.5 damage if she runs into it at full health. This is a bit over half her health in a few seconds. With the new scaling, it deals 832.27 damage, which is 80% of its former damage, and about 44% of her health.

Now the part I'm less sure about. Assuming she's got GA, and MR to each tick she receives (giving her 28.6% reduced damage per tick), current scaling would deal 746.3 damage (40% of her HP), and new scaling would deal 603.99 damage (32% of her HP), which is, again, about 80% of the former value.

Again, this is PER MUSHROOM. At worst, you're still chunking a third of the carry's health for every mushroom they blunder into.

So, from crunching numbers, assuming you're going Peak Teemo, you're going from "make the carry panic and immediately RTB if they hit a mushroom" to "seriously inconvenience the carry if they've kept their defense up, make them strongly consider lifesteal farming or RTBing if not". If they hit two or more, they're in serious poo poo or just straight up dead.

From the looks of things, Teemo's still gonna be an rear end in a top hat, but they're cutting back on "entering Teemo's Magical Realm means instant death", which I endorse because that's just bullshit. Plus, again, as mentioned, they still slow, they're still AoE, they're still around for ten minutes, they're still invisible, they still grant vision, you can still put them freaking everywhere, and you still regenerate them relatively quickly.

The more I run the numbers, the more I think this is fair, both to make people demanding a gutting shut up for a while and to curb AP Teemo a little bit.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zaodai posted:

Keep in mind a lot of the damage from mushrooms is the high rear end base damage that doesn't get affected by the scaling change. So your "full built teemo vs full built carry" scenario is actually the most severe scenario where the nerf will affect Teemo and it's still not that bad.

Yeah, when I ran the numbers, most of the damage was coming out of the base damage, and the Liandry's %HP damage was pretty low because it wasn't on somebody like Mundo.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Fiddle is also a suprisingly good newbie jungle. His drain keeps him topped off, and his pre-6 ganks tend to burn summoner spells if they don't get a kill. He's still one of the few junglers it's possible to use pre-20, so I'd recommend him to anyone wanting to learn. His only major weakness at that level is his reliance on blue.

Not only that, he can do dragon incredibly early if you get Drain to 2 or 3 before focusing on his fear. At low skill levels, people never check dragon early on, so you can actually pick up dragon kills at eight or nine minutes if you don't get caught by an enemy rotation. Just grab the second blue, plunk a ward or two down if you want to feel safer, and mash Drain on the dragon. It'll be extremely slow compared to later clears, but pre-30 and/or at low leagues, the other jungler is probably going to be farting around with his red, and the other mid probably won't be roaming yet unless they're crushing lane, effectively guaranteeing you'll get first dragon.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Freaksaus posted:

Lantern plays are another way to get some good looking kills. When you get confident enough in your hooks you can throw a lantern back towards a jungler that's coming in for a gank, walk forward and hook someone. If you time it properly you hook yourself in while they take the lantern and you give them an easy ride to the target. Don't expect everyone to click the lantern(probably the most frustrating thing about playing Thresh) but you can make some great offensive and defensive moves with it.

This is probably one of the best ways Thresh can secure ganks, but is also really loving difficult. It's especially hard to pull off in solo queue, but if you communicate with your team (or play with a buddy) you can turn nearly impossible ganks into double or triple kills by hauling your jungler or carry across the entire lane and a few walls with a hook-and-lantern ride.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
In general, until you're better able to read situations, assume that enemies will get away if you don't help secure the kill when you can without being an idiot. This doesn't mean you should blow both summoner spells and every long cooldown meant-for-crowds ability to kill a fleeing carry with 50 HP when you have your entire team with you, but if a clear kill presents itself, you should almost always go for it unless you know it'll feed a shutdown or a multikill right back to the other team.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Lightning Knight posted:

I was playing against Renekton, and was playing really safe, had teleport, never died or anything.

There was this point where I had a bunch of Q stacks and was like hm, can I trade with him? So I bopped him and did a metric fuckton of damage and was like :stare:.

Yeah, this is why thinking "I've got Nasus tower farming and terrified to move, I'm winning" is about the worst thing you can do. If you're gonna bully him, you need to do it hard enough to deny him last hits under tower, or try to freeze the lane outside the tower's range. Otherwise, you'll win lane for about 15-20 minutes, and then suddenly he'll walk up and smash you into paste when you're getting complacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Sing to me the song of Singed.

I got a Mad Scientist skin for him from a mystery skin and I've been looking for an excuse to play him more, so I've taken him out for some more whirls. I generally take Teleport/Ghost for maximum split pushing, Benny Hill chasing, and shenanigans. My skill order's R>Q>E>W, not sure if I should max W before E though, that's one of my major questions. First purchase is a crystal flask, two red potions, and a blue potion for sustain, rush Tear and level 1 boots, build a Rod of Ages and Boots of Mobility, either finish Archangels or start on Rylai's/Liandry's, and then just go from there. I'm basically winging it on item choices though, so I'm probably doing it all wrong or at least missing obvious priorities.

So far, my play style with Singed early is to play keepaway and farm best I can while avoiding getting murdered by hyper-aggressive bruisers, harassing/killing with throws under tower if I can bait them. Once I get rolling, I proceed to wander around and infuriate people into trying to hunt me down while massacring creep waves and forcing objective fights, then run away farting death gas into the angry mob behind me. By the end of the game, I turn into a super-speed hunter-killer that catches runners and hurls them back into the teamfight and my poison. That all seem about right?

• Locked thread