Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
This isn't anything bizarre, but you can at least enjoy some schadenfreude at my expense since I decided to by a cheap unlocked smartphone off DealExtreme.

Yeah, it went about as well as you'd expect. What can I say? DX had come through for me many times before, and I wanted it dirt cheap and plan free, drat it.

The interface is actually really responsive and the touch screen is really good, giving it a great first impression. It even came with a fairly modern version of android! However, shortly after buying it people I called started getting a horrible "HHHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHHH" over my voice that made talking extremely annoying, if not impossible.

Other fun facts:
•The "flash" is just a marginally brighter than normal LED.
•Random pauses are sometimes inserted into music I copy onto the phone
•The mic on the cheap included headphones is actually really good and solves the static, but like hell I'm using those uncomfortable things
•When they say "Autofocus: NO" they mean it.

So there you go. Guess you can't buy a decent knockoff for around $50, who would've thought.
http://dx.com/p/mini-i9500-android-4-2-2-gsm-bar-phone-w-4-0-capacitive-screen-quad-band-and-wi-fi-black-228251#.Uu0-BmSwImI

e: here's a fun fact: the URL says android 4.2.2, which is what I got. The description says 2.3.6, but the same phone in white claims 4.2.2 in both the description and the url. Shopping on DealExtreme is a fun detective activity, enhance brain function! :eng101:

Dr. Witherbone has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread