Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

Nathalie floats next to and slightly behind Carol's head. She watches as Arachne tries to intimidate the man into a compliant quiet. Despite being a bear sized spider, she seemed to be having some trouble not sounding like a Die Hard villain. Nath half expected the next words out of Arachne's mouth to be 'we have ways of making you talk' in an eastern European accent.

She floats down from the height of Carol's head and snakes her body between Arachne and the hapless chump on the ground, grabs him, and effortlessly lifts him off the ground and a few feet into the air, easily holding him by his spade embroidered collar with one hand, his legs dangling and kicking helplessly.

Her other hand is a vice grip on his jaw, forcing him to meet her inhuman gaze. "Make this easy on yourself. Tell us everything we want to know and I will set you down and we will let you go on your way. Resist, and you won't be going anywhere, ever again. Now calm down and start talking."

Invoking Vampire for being strong and compelling. Also this stunt: Because of her imposing Vampiric Gaze, Nat gets +2 when forcefully obtaining information from a sentient being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Night FP: 3/3

Night waves her hands disarmingly at the man and steps around a nearby tree, disappearing from sight.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

No time like the present to have herself upstaged. That's fine, Arachne prefer not to have to interrogate. Leave that to others while she does the real work, which in this case takes the form of a few steps backwards, and then peering behind the tree. Where did Night just go?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The man continues to scream and struggle on the ground even after Night steps behind a tree and out of sight. It's not until Nat and Ana double-team him with their scary monster duo act that he quietens down a little, while still being very skittish about the whole thing. "I was fleeing!" He stutters out, Nat having to loosen her grip on his face to let him actually talk. That vampire grip was strong. "I didn't want no part in it, honest Mayor! I was subscripted! Made Jack an' all, but I didn't want none of it!" He more calls out to Night, wherever she was, than say it to Nat or Ana. "I was out here 'cause I managed to get away! I was looking for the rebels, to join them! Fight to get the Mayordom back!" He continues to squirm in Nat and Ana's fearsome presence. And Nat's actual grasp. "The soldiers? They're the Tetrarch's men! Follow his word they do, and his word ain't kind. I was trying to hide from them, but then you showed up and I thought they had a dragon or something!" He breaks out into a nervous laughter, one that is clearly and poorly masking his absolute terror. His head darts around as much as it could while Nat held it, on the look out for Night to pop back into sight.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Fight for the Mayordom back?" Night pokes her head out from around the tree, a deeply concerned expression on her face. "Rebels? So the Mayordom's been taken over while I was gone?" She steps around back into sight and frowns. She nudges the others away from the man with her baton. "Why don't you help me take it back, then. You can help me find these rebels so that I might organize them properly. I take it that they're of poor ability?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nat

Upon hearing the man's explanation, Nathalie sets him down. Her tone softens, but her gaze is still on him. "Stay calm. Don't panic. We're on the same side."

Her voice quiet, a few seconds later, she says, "...sorry."

xian fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 15, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

A deserted. Hardly surprising. Most don't have the will to kill, even under duress. Ana's always thought that was, net, a good thing. Less competition.

"Just why does the Tetrarch need to resort to conscription? His need for manpower must be great."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
When Night pokes her head back out from the tree, the former Jack previously of Clubs begins to scream again. "AAAAA! DON'T HURT ME!!" He indeed does scream, turning his head even in Nat's grasp to avoid what was surely to be that baton meeting his face. But then… it doesn't? And all Mayor Night does is ask a question? Confused, the poor man stops his screaming. For the moment. "Yes! I'm sorry! We didn't mean to but there was plots! And maybe a scheme!! And then all of a sudden the Mayor's Office blew up!" He explains, still wincing every time Night even so much as glanced at him.

"Take it back? From the Tetrarch? A-are you sure!?" The man's excitement seems tempered by whatever he had seen the Tetrarch do in Night's former mayordom. "I mean, the rebels have been tryin', but nothing has hurt him yet! And… I don't know where the rebels are! I heard about them and that they were out in the forest, but I can't find 'em! That's why I'm hiding, I've only seen Tetrarch's guys out here, no rebels."

Looking over to the giant spider lady, who was far less intimidating than Night, the man answers in a quick clip. "Nobody wanted to join him! The mayordom was never better than when Mayor Night was in charge!" Being a spy, Arachne does note that this may just be blatant flattery while the mayor was standing right there. "So they started makin' people join up!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"If that's the case, then there's only one thing to do!" She thumps her free hand with her baton. "We shall wander the forest in search of these rebels. If we find clubs, then we fight them! Beat enough of them and the tetrarch will have no choice but to show up. Surely he'd never risk losing face!"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Carol flat-lines her luminous eyes as Anna and Nath read the deserter the riot act. This is what passes for calming someone down these days? “If we were going the intimidation route, someone could have told me.”

She gives the poor once-Jack a tight-lipped smile, “If it helps, I wouldn’t know the Tetrarch apart from the Four Horsemen. I’m definitely not with them.”

Poke-poke-prod-prod. Night nudges with her baton, but Carol’s not so good at being nudged out of the way. She looks down at the Mayor, “How long have you been gone? Besides that, there has to be a better way of locating the rebels than just wandering blindly around the forest and hoping to randomly stumble upon them.” She pauses as an idea occurs to her and pinches her brow just before her horns, right at the top of her forehead.

“Is someone going to suggest flying a giant ferocious dragon, rumbling, burbling, and whuffling over the forest and see who it flushes out?” It’s so embarrassing roaring and carrying about like a great terrible monster... especially because it’s so fun and even cathartic. She glances at Iris with hope literally glowing in her eyes, “Maybe you could ask the trees in the forest instead, see if any of them have seen a rebel camp?”

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris

The terror in the Jack's voice is awful, and Iris isn't sure what she can do about it. The others seem intent on wringing information from him like water from a rag, and she's... she's indirectly caused a mischief to the frightened fellow already.

She melts out of the background at Carol's call, casting a concerned and apologetic look at the captured man.

"Traveling adventurers. You know how our sort are. Ask any orc."

Iris smiles wanly and looks to the dragoness. With a nod she says, "I can try, but most plants are more concerned about 'sunward' and 'downward' than 'east' and 'west', but sometimes it's possible to translate from there."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

Blatant flattery. It says a not, nothing actually what's being said. Jack clearly wants to ingratiate himself to Night. Why? Because the alternative must be worse, and his fear, his fear at least seems genuine to the spider. The good thing, to Arachne, is Jack's clear desire. He wants something, which means he can be bargained with.

"You must have heard something about where they are," Ana says, moving in closer to Jack. "Or did you really plan to wander the forest until you stumbled across them. They'd just as likely shoot you as let you join up. A twitchy sentry with a crossbow hears a rustle and..." Ana snaps her fingers, which makes a rather impressive *TWANG* sound. "We can help you find the, and remain unpierced in the proceed."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Okay, okay, the poor guy is a nervous wreck. Even Carol, who's not much of a people person (because they break too easily,) can tell this.

She shakes her head, muttering, "Alright, alright." and descends to her hands and knees, bringing her head down as low to the ground as possible. She gives the Jack of Spades an earnest expression, and says, "We won't hurt you. I promise. Including Mayor Night."

"And if you travel with us to the Rebels in the forest, I'll protect you. In fact," her voice grows thick and steely at this point. And frankly, when a half-dragon's voice gets steely, it's heavy enough to plate battleships. "If anyone tries to hurt you I might try and find out how far I can throw them."

"So... please. Help us find the Rebels so we can help them?" She tries a small little smile (relatively speaking) without showing any of her teeth, like a big sister encouraging a child to be brave, "At the very least, please calm down before you fret yourself sick."

=====

I'm going to Invoke Carol's Half-Human Orphan trait, citing that this is an instant where she needs to be more humane than monster. In fact, it might be a Compel because she can't just watch him stay all wound up like that, especially with people still bringing up doom by crossbows and stuff. I'd like to try and Carefully (+2) talk the Jack into calming down and use her Still Human stunt for an extra +2 because she wants to protect him (even from his own stress.)

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
you dont need to spend a refresh point on that or nothing drakli the writing is enough and he'll calm down anyways.

but just to make clear, he really doesn't know where the rebels might be so xian if you want to fly on drakli or bie if you wanted to branch-whisper or somebody doing something like that then that'd be the way to go

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"Me, Carol. I'm gonna suggest it." Nath says, raising her hand exaggeratedly like she's in an eager student in a classroom. "I'm also gonna suggest that I ride on your back, because now that you said it, it sounds so fun I can't imagine not doing it. All this guy knows is that he's running away from everything we're trying to run toward, doesn't he? So... let's go for a joyride, no?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris

Despite the conflict and violence since their arrival, the latter of which the dryad can't really deny she's been a part of, Iris smiles at Nathalie's enthusiasm for play.

"It's likely best if we take an approach that has multiple fingers. One can poke and scratch, but two can grab," she points out, smiling at Carol encouragingly.

She gestures toward the woods with a green hand. "While you two are aloft, I'll make inquiries with the ground."

Once that's decided, hopefully one way and not t'other, the dryad takes off her shoes and strides across the way. It's good to walk barefoot on earth and grass, and the grass seems to be fairly happy about it as well. She pauses briefly to shift her feet and wiggle her toes ticklingly.

At the woods' edge, Iris sits down at the roots of the largest tree she can find and leans against its bole like a child at the foot of its elder. She closes her eyes and whispers, then pauses as if listening, and smiles.

---
Iris will attempt to communicate with the woods and determine where the resistance might be located. This is a Careful process, as the speech of trees takes 'thoughtful' to all new realms of ponderousness.

[22:17] <Bieeardo> !r 4df+3
[22:17] <Maidbot> Bieeardo, -///+3 = 2

Thbbt.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"This is all too complicated!" Night suddenly announces, her hands placed firmly on her hips. She huffs, grabs the Jack by his shoulders, forcefully stands him up, and dusts him off. "We should just do the thing I suggested!"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Carol opens her mouth to offer some kind of embarrassed protest or quip to Nath's insistence on free dragon rides, but Night speaks first.

Rather than give Night time to go barreling off into the woods, Carol lunges to scoop up Nathelie like the vampire is a child who wants a piggyback, "Let's go!" she shouts urgently to the cheerful Nosferatu, passing her up to her shoulders.

She lets Nathelie find her own grip and leaps into the sky with a great gale of wing-beats, "Keep an eye on the Jack!" she calls out to the others as she gains altitude. Agile flight Carol's no good at, but forceful she can manage, mighty wings hurlng the gigantess and her passenger into the sky.

Once she can get into something approaching a soar on the strong high level air currents of Wonderland, she glances back at Nath, "Sorry for the suddenness. I didn't want to give Night a chance to act upon her impulse! She's... probably more likely to go along with a plan once it' in momentum and she can't stop it."

"So... I guess I should rampage." gathering herself, she lets a rolling, booming roar across the forest, gaping her jaws so wide it looks like she could fit a whole hog's head inside. She inhales deeply as she swoops low and breathes a gale of wind across the tree tops, aiming low enough to make acres of leaves rustle loudly in unseasonable wind, but high enough that she doesn't actually uproot anything or shred the canopy.

It's probably fairly obvious that she's holding back, considering the raw damage Nath has seen her cause in the past, even before Carol says, "I don't want to lay waste to the forest... Iris would... be disappointed."

====

I'm going to fly over the forest and be loud and scary to attract attention with a Flashy (+1). Carol is either too rough or too reserved, so flashy isn't her thing.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
If Night wants something, Night gets it! Suddenly the group is buzzing about, seeing to it that the rebel camp was found and that her Mayorship was taken to it without delay. But before taking off, Carol gets the hot gossip from Iris. Though trees were slow, ponderous, and largely unemotional; they were also huge tattletales. Let's face it, it's not like they had a whole lot else to do except chat amongst themselves. So when somebody new wants to sit down and listen, well, they can hardly refuse now can they!

Iris gets an earful of what every sapling is up to, what those upstart shrubs are doing wrong, and how all these upstarts would have never made it back when the pines grew up. Now those were some real trying times! Winters the North Wind blew in himself! Summers so harsh that even the the most lush foliage was libel to burst into flame without warning.

Eventually she gets to hear something about a bunch of furless, upright walking animals who recently took up residence in the forest. Now 'recently' is a relative term for trees, it could mean anything out to a couple years ago. But the number of them actually staying out in the forest meant that was more than likely the rebels. A little more gentle probing gives her their general location, which is then given over to Carol and she and Nat are off!

Short of breathing fire or tearing trees up, Carol is as loud as possible. She waits until she is in the vague direction Iris pointed them in before doing so, but even with that the group back by the road can hear the commotion. So surely the rebels, if they were indeed so close to where Carol was whiffling, would hear it too. Much louder. Much more worthy of looking in to.

Which would could say happened. After about twenty minutes of circling above and buzzing the woods, Nat's sharp eyes spot a small patch of the woods that looked different from the rest. At the centre was the huge trunk of a dead tree, and in a rough circle patch around it was not clear felled trees but an area where they had been gently coerced to move out of the way. And to Carol, well, she spots movement down below in a way that wouldn't be a forest dweller fleeing a hungry dragon swooping overhead. It was a much more intelligent, human kinda of movement. This had to be the place.

Carol and Nath arrive back, and report on their find.

you found the base! head towards base?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris

The dryad sits and listens as much out of desire as duty-- it would be rude to leave in mid-conversation and, besides that, it's been, what, six months since she sat down with one of the copses around London? Not that there's a lot to say from season to season when you're planted in parkland; things there tend to be rather static. Her garden's the same way, though the company of the smaller plants is always appreciated. It's like a bit of old home in the new. And fortunately for times like this, a neighbor comes by to tend it if she's been gone more than a few days.

With a pat on the great old gossip's trunk, Iris rises and returns to the others. She passes word of the furless, upright animals and their general direction, reiterating her observations on the time scales trees tend to think on. Then she waits with the others while Carol and Nathalie take to the sky.

When they return and report, Iris frowns pensively. A great, dead tree? That's not a pleasant place for any sort of business. Still, the only way through seems to be forward.

"Let's proceed, then. Doubtless they'll know the place better than we do, but I'll do my best to listen to the green for signs of lurkers."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night looks up from her cellphone, which had preoccupied her for the vast majority of her wait. "Yes, let's!" She grabs the Jack by the wrist and stomps off in the direction of the camp. "What is this place we're heading to, again?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"Yes! Perfeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" Nathalie's jubilant cry fades as she's hauled into the sky. Nathalie sits astride Carol's neck, Neverending story style, as they soared upwards. She found grooves that she could wedge her fingertips into for a handhold, which was enough to provide sturdy purchase.

"Probably for the--" Nathalie starts, but the sound of her voice is obliterated by the wind shear buffeting her face. She focuses for a second and speaks again, "This is amazing. Probably for the best." She says, the sound unnaturally cutting through the background noise.

"So... I guess I should rampage."

Nathalie erupts into laughter as Carol barrel rolls towards the forest and buzzes the tops of the trees. A few minutes later Nathalie says, "I wouldn't worry. I think we're going to lay waste to a fair amount of things before we're finished." She spots the base a few minutes after, "Like that. And those people. whoever those people are hiding from."*

Back at camp, Nathalie says to Night, "We're off to meet some rebels."

edited because I misunderstood

xian fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 1, 2014

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Carol can't help adding, in a singing voice that's probably too husky for the part.

"The Wonderful Rebels of Oz!"

That said, she bunches her back and wing muscles in preparation of take-off, presumably with Nathelie still mounted on her neck, "Keep an eye on the sky and follow us!" before launching herself back into the sky, soaring in the direction of the camp.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
With the former Jack being dragged along by Night, and Carol flying overhead with Nat on her back, and Iris listening to the old trees gossip along the way, our group of adventurous head off into the forest to find the rebel hideaway.

While a direct flight there would only take minutes, only Carol and Nat had that privilege and if they flew too far ahead then the feet users below might get lost. So up high and on the ground, they take a steady pace that seems to take a noticeable while. While not utterly lost, there was no way any of them could find the road again from here. The forest wasn't trying to hide anything away, but by the virtue of it being just that drat thick it was hard to tell one stretch of forest from another. It's only by following Iris and Carol that a sure direction can be followed.

It's just that little bit too late that one might have noticed that, for being in the middle of a massive forest, things were quiet. And as cliché as it was, too quiet.

Thankfully, that lasts only for as long as it took somebody to finally notice it. Because once somebody noticed that things were too quiet, it was no longer quiet at all. Bursting out in a bustle of shouting and commotion from all around them were rebels, armed with swords, spears, crossbows, anything with a lethal edge to it more or less. The group were surrounded before they knew they were being attacked, every member having a sharp thing pointed at them. Several, in Ana's case. The downside to being the biggest target out of a group.

Which applied to Carol, as well. For as soon as the rebels burst out, a might bolt was loosed from that empty tree base they were evidently mere metres away from. The tip of the bolt blows open, shooting out a net that ensnares both steed and rider. Not being able to freely beat her wings, both Carol and Nat feel gravity in full force and come crashing back down to earth. A huge plume of dust, leaves and twigs shoots up as they hit the ground and slide almost into the empty tree itself.

"Halt!" A voice shouts out from the darkness of the forest. Presumably the leader of the fighters but even for those with night vision the thick foliage obscured clear sight on the ambushers. "Surrender yourselves now or die!" The former Jack, still held firm in Night's grasp, is shaking in his boots.

gosh golly!! everybody take one (1) fate point for having the complication 'ambushed and held at swordpoint'!!!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night shoves the Jack away and points a baton out towards the forest. "No, you surrender yourself now or die!" She shouts back. "And let those two," she waves to her tangled compatriots with her other baton, "go free before I start thinking that this is something more than a practical joke! Really, I swear. The nerve of some people these days! Thinking you can just ambush every group of travelers that comes along." She harumphs. "You should all be ashamed of yourselves!"

Of course, it was easy to say all this when she was nowhere near where she looked to be. The real, invisible Night is slowly repositioning herself around the ambushers, being careful to watch her step as her illusory double continued to grandstand and shout.

Going to create a Flashy distraction, so +2 from Sparkles and Hearts.
[19:29] Atlatl !r 4df+4
[19:29] Maidbot Atlatl, ++/-+4 = 5
Spending the FP we just got to invoke Last night, Night before... to boost that to 7.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

Nathalie could ride around on Carol all day and all night. Flying like this was one of the greatest sensations she's ever experienced and she doesn't want it to end.

But it does, and what an ignominious way to land. Nath should have been ready for that, she thinks as she runs her hand down the cording of the net. Jumped off Carol and...what? She shakes her head. No, they got cocky, flying around like that. But what was she going to do? Jump off a flying dragon and get all vicious on everyone who was standing around them? There were worse ideas.

And now they had to work their way out of a net.

Nathalie has no idea what Night thinks she's doing, but definitely respects the Mayor's moxie trying to turn the tables on their armed captors. Nathalie also sees it as an opportunity to escape this net without them knowing. While Night is yelling Nathalie transmutes herself to mist and rises above the fray, literally. She hangs there, an imperceptible cloud in the darkness, waiting for the fracas to start.

Sneakily using vampire powers to turn into a mist cloud and hang above in ambush. +2

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ana

Blood embarrassing, having the drop put on her. Ana should have seen this coming, that she didn't...at least none of the others did, not that that knowledge salves her pride very much. Her reflexes, at least, pick up where her perception didn't. Nobody's quite certain where Ana pulled those pistols from, but she yanks them free and pulls them out. "Those swords look heavy," she warns the rebels, "you're liable to hurt yourselves."

Ana will be QUICK on the draw and use her (newly Robo approved) Tables Turned stunt to put herself back in control...
<Platonicsolid> !r 4df+4
<Maidbot> Platonicsolid, /-//+4 = 3
I'm guessing that'll be embarrassing, again.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Jack is shoved face-first into the mud, and Night shouts a lot. The voice from the forest, and his soldiers, seem somewhat taken aback when Night does this. One can imagine that not many challenge the order of 'surrender or die' but not only refusing to surrender, but to yell back about the sheer umbrage of being told to. "…no, you surrender now or die! We said it first!" He deftly counters Night's demand. "You don't get to make demands! We're in charge here! We've been tracking you for ages now! And you're surrounded!" With each halted statement he seems to grow madder, not taking the disrespect well at all. "You're not going back to the Tetrarch alive!"

While the rebel leader and the fighters bristle and posture, fuming and itching to make good their ambush, they are more than distracted enough for both Night and Nat to secret themselves away in the dead of night. While everybody else is distracted by the illusionary Night's loud bluster, both Night and Nat can move themselves into positions to unleash a devastating attack at but a moments notice. Attacking from up above and from behind would surely free the others long enough for them to counter-attack, beating these ambushers at their own game.

"W-we're here to join you!" Jack blurts out to try and diffuse the situation, pushing himself up from the mud just enough to talk. For his troubles, he gets a couple spears shoved in his face for good measure. "No tricks, I swear! Look!" He points at the illusion of Night. "I found the Mayor! She's back, she's going to help us!" This does help diffuse the situation a little bit, as snickers run across the forest. "Oh right, you found the Mayor all of a sudden. Like you spade types haven't tried that one before. Pull the other one, you piece of…" The leading rebel's smug attitude drops dead as, perhaps, he takes a closer look at who was shouting at him and his men.

"Holy Hells, it's the Mayor!" He shouts in astonishment and fear. "Oh Gods!" "The Mayor!?!?" "We're hosed!" Also reverberate around the forest as his men see that this was true. Along with this is the sound of more than a few blades being dropped as some of the men made for a quick retreat while they still had unbroken limbs. This sudden shock-induced gap gives Ana ample time to quickdraw two handguns from about her persons (tailor as talented as her can work pockets into any piece of clothing while keeping them hidden) with time spare to cover the slight hitch in actually taking her weapons out that might have proven to be a lethal otherwise. This levels the playing field as, between Night being revealed to the men and them having guns pointed at them, they were now at a distinct disadvantage. And they knew it.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Their leader's response gives her more than enough time to hunt him down.

She walks up behind him and gives him a bear hug, squeezing his arms tight to his body and resting her chin on his shoulder. "Oh, so you're the rebels, you say? Then you've just made my job easy~!" Night reappears as her illusion disintegrates in a shower of rainbow-colored sparks. "What were we going to do with you again?" She pauses, looking to the rest of her group. "Join you, right? To take everything back?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"See? See!?" The former Jack exclaims, a big ol' smile on his face. But he's the only one smiling, the rebels not reacting well to the Mayor just fading into a giant rainbow coloured sparks. And the man in charge just about dies when the real Mayor pounces from behind and gives him a big ol' hug. Those strong arms are the last thing many people see before having their skulls caved in, so naturally they have a fearsome reputation. And even just the hug is strong enough to keep him from blustering any longer. Or breathing properly.

"Typical." A woman's voice suddenly pronounces from the hollowed out tree, presumably where these rebels had their headquarters. "Everybody else does the hard work, then you come in to 'save the day'." That voice spits in Night's general direction with an audible amount of vindictiveness, the figure belonging to that voice then emerging from the darkness in a brilliant ball of multicoloured lights.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night drops the man and turns to face the newcomer. "Oh, come now. I haven't had even the foggiest understanding of my timing since..." She stalls, motioning with one hand as if searching for words while the other retrieves her cell phone. "Since I can remember." The mayor does her best to try and snap a picture of her and run a little search. If she actually knew her, surely she would be in her personal files.

Using Google-Fu on her!

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

After doing a face-plant in the dirt from above the tree-line, grinding said face across the length of the clearing, one might expect a massively heavy dragon-creature like Carol to either be stunned by impact, or completely draconic-rage furious.

Instead, her first action as Jack is tossed into the mud is to reach out with an enormous arm and scoop him underneath her as she rises to her feet... fortunately after he gives his speech. She looms over him and uses her long arms and large hands to shield him, should the situation erupt into violence.

That said, her eyes have an unsettling glow about them and the guttural, almost crocodilian growl emerging from deep behind her throat suggests she's only operating with a very tenuous grip on her draconic instincts at the moment

=====

+3 to Forcefully back Anna and Night up with the threat of a barely restrained dragon-creature-thing.
+2 to carefully protect the Jack should violence occur.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

No hits. Great.

Night waves Carol down. "Please, dear. There's no need for any of that." She stuffs her phone back in her pocket and slowly approaches the woman, being careful to keep a safe distance. "You must know who I am, so why not introduce yourself?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris - FP 4/3

The route is straightforward, though the destination lies some distance away, but while Iris walks with the silent step of a forest nymph, the others are making enough noise to--

Nets fly and warriors boil out of the undergrowth, shouting and waving their sharp things.

Iris goes still, stunned out of sorts by the commotion.

"Ah..."

Night begins to shout.

"...Pardon..."

Someone of self-styled import, at least, appears. Another one who seems to know Night from before.

Iris goes quiet again. This is getting stickier than adolescent pine cones.

With an effort of will the dryad asks, "Would someone terribly mind explaining who or what this Tetrarch business is?"

She has an idea, but rather hopes that she's wrong about it.

---
Adding the FP!
I don't think this is really a Compel situation, but Iris's Wallflower aspect is flaring up something awful at the moment.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 9, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

Ana grasps and misses, then makes another grab and manages to get her pistols out. Yup, she can stitch a holster into anything, that's easy. Getting the fabric to lie right, that's the magic.

"We were sent," Ana tells the woman, looking at her askance. The spider shifts her weight awkwardly, looking at the men she's so recently drawn on, and shifting her guns away from them. "And we're here to help. Iris," a slight nod towards the dryad, since it's terribly gauche to gesture with weapons, "is right. We need to know a lot more about the Tetrarch."

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Carol blinks her round eyes almost owlishly as Night dismisses her as if she's being fussy over nothing. She sits down on her backside with enough impact to shake the clearing, and leans on an elbow against the massive dead tree. She rubs her aching chin, the part of her body that plowed full on into the landscape, and spits out a mouthful of dirt.

Burbling in mildly annoyed snippets of Latin and Old English, the half dragon tries to flex her wings free of the net.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie 4/3

Nathalie remains a dispersed cloud of vampiric mist. She's got nothing to say, and in a way, what she's doing now isn't much different than sitting-in-a-van surveillance back in London, waiting to learn something actionable about the Tetrarch and, not seconds later, the identity of this new person on the scene. That, and she can still surprise attack anyone here if that becomes something to do.

And she's floating—which has nothing on the exhilaration of riding a Dragon, but wasn't bad either—the wind pushing her side to side gently, sort of like an ethereal hammock. Natalie finds it notable that as she's mist she still has the sensation of eyes. Or, at least of vision from the same fixed points, the difference being that as mist it's much easier to change the perspective. She wonders if with practice she could eliminate the fixed points.

She notices Carol and watches the half-dragon is having some trouble suppressing that half of her at the moment. At some point, before, Nathalie might have had a calming quip to make, or known the right words to say to help Carol ease up. But now... it doesn't even occur to her to try.

A mild compel (not sure if it's worth the FP) of losing her humanity to remain hidden and predatory and not try to help the half-dragon laverne to her vampiric shirley chill out.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The image search doesn’t go well. After a few moments it comes to pass that Night did not have an existing photo of this woman on her phone. And with the internet being blocked she couldn’t search the WonderNet for it, either. So Night was out of luck on finding out who this person was exactly. And it wasn’t even a good picture to begin with, have you even tried using camera phones in pitch dark? They’re just terrible, harsh contrast and no aperture options to speak off.

Fate apparently was not content to leave the former Jack of Spades alone. Being shoved into the mud and threatened with sharp pointy things was just the start, as Carol grabs him roughly in her rough, clawed arm and hauls him back up. Then he is flung across the forest clearing into Carol’s protective care, unceremoniously dumped into the dirt. Former Jack groans, trying once again to get up off the floor, a now petulant Carol not helping with that. But to his credit he was taking his various beatings like a champ!

“Scarce few around here who don’t, Mayor.” The woman puts her hands on her hips and looks the Mayor up and down. Sizing her up, perhaps. Which didn’t take too much time, Night wasn’t exactly tall. “Dix.” She does answer once she was satisfied in whatever she had been looking at in Night. “I’ve been the only person in the mayordom keeping the hope alive while you were off… wherever you went.” Dix goes back to crossing her arms. “Saved you from getting strung up too, fancy pants.” She looks beyond Night and at Rupert. “We caught a unit chasing after you while you were legging it. Don’t know what you did, but it got them all sorts of riled up.”

Dix casts her eyes over both Arachne and Iris as they explain things a little bit. “A spider, and a witch.” She answers the both of them. “And a dragon, and her rider.” She looks across to Carol, and then up above her at the slight cloud of mist hanging overhead. “And you’re here to help take down the Tetrarch?” She finally comes back to Night. “Gotta thank serendipity, huh? Because there’s no way you actually brought them here to help on purpose, is there?” Dix glares at Night. For a few, long moments. Until it was uncomfortable for everybody else watching on. Eventually she relents, sighing. “All our intel on the Tetrarch and everything is inside. Come on.”

She turns and makes for the hollowed out tree. “Secure the area, make sure they weren’t followed.” Dix orders the captain of the troops as she passes, who quickly runs off to make sure her orders were followed through. “And get that net off the dragon, already!”

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night meets Dix's glare with a blank stare and a distant smile. There was no need to meet her hostility.

"Well, actually..." She hops into step behind Dix. "They're just my drinking partners. Oh, how long has it been? Since I've been gone, I mean. A month or two?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

Spider. Not surprising that she'd be recognized by the right players on this side of the hedge. Ana's stance shifts just a little, something more predatory and more natural at the same time. More honest. "Wouldn't care one whit if the Tetrarch killed you all off. Thing is, this little conflict's spilling over the hedge, and that can't be allowed. We share interests, not a crusade."

• Locked thread