Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

She humms and perks a bit at Night. "Some sort of trouble, I'd wager," Ana says. "Expect to hear them screaming for help soon." At this Ana puts down her tea cup with a gentle clink, following Night into the hall. It's odd. Ana seems like a fairly willowy woman, at first blush, yet also tall, space-filling, as if she's more cramped than she wants to admit. Something seems off, now if only her spider sense would tell her what.

Arachne is suspicious, and thus using her new Footsteps in the Web stunt to detect magic use on her.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Dix looks back over to Carol. "Not just a dragon, but a rhyming dragon?" She shakes her head. "Sure, whatever. So long as you want to breathe fire over the Tetrarch and not me." She acquiescences, choosing to just let the dragon help her out and eat the guys she's fighting rather than argue any further. Sometime you just have to accept help, in any for it decides to grace you with. "Never heard of a Tomte, but with things the way they are over here I wouldn't be surprised if even gnomes turned to stealing land to set up a warren."

"Hitting these broken boxes of scrap fixes it most of the time." Dix counters a little unconvincingly to Nat, getting up and letting Iris and Nat get their hands on the radios. "See that stack?" Dix motions to a rather high pile of similar looking radios, numbering at least twenty. "Resistors are blown on every one. To send and receive transmissions from the city we need to throw way more watts into these then they can handle." With this information in hand, Iris and Nat get to work. Nat had the practical know-how, deftly wielding multi-metres and soldering irons as she quickly but efficiently went about the internals of the radio. And Iris provided the book smarts, directing where wires were meant to be and how the ancient circuitry was meant to be arranged. Between the two of them, the problem is identified as a combination of a dysfunctional power supply and old worn out transistors. These units were just plain too old to work like Dix was trying to make them. Patchwork, makeshift repairs were possible with this many spare parts, but a permanent solution involving these old radios wasn't going to happen.

The radio begins to crackle into life, much to Iris' and Nat's delight. A voice crackles in behind it, Dix reaching in to tune into the frequency until the voice is audible. "He…… ……ome in? H………"

Night looks at the doors as she walks passed them. And comes to the conclusion that, yes, these were doors of a rather standard size. Even in underground rebel bunkers, there were building codes to adhere too. She should know, she authorised a great many of them after the Mayordom had that great big accident that demolished half the city. And, according to the building code documents on her phone, that would make these doors 2.04 metres tall. Though they did seem a somewhat larger than that, to her.

Focusing her sharp senses upon matters of the less mundane, Ana tries to puzzle out what was the matter. Beside things seeming bigger. Now, they hadn't been killed that was for sure. She would have at least two Gods annoying her if that had happened. And they hadn't been poisoned, intoxicated, subject to a bane or wicked witch cursed; those were quite obvious effects to feel. Usually accompanied with special effects. So what had happened, exactly? Something more subtle, clearly, so something less noticeable. Less big and flashy. A small type of magic, perhaps? An enchantment, or magic potion. Something that is quite hard to notice unless studied carefully. Yes, that might be it. Something innocuous that worked quietly enough that it could go by unnoticed. And both she and Night were smaller than they were before. After having had a drink.

xian, i rolled careful +1 security vulnerability consultant and you got +2. bie, i rolled clever +2 sage and you got +2 as well. between the two of you the radio is all better now, good teamwork.

And I really liked that write up, xian, so take a fate point!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Night FP: 2/3

Night stares at the nearest door in deep thought.

She turns to Arachne suddenly. "I think we've shrunk! We need to go get help!" She dashes off in direction of what she assumes is Dix's quarters. "Come on, come on!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris FP: 4/3

Iris smiles, just a little, at Dix's approach to repairs. "Straightforward devices, designed to take that kind of treatment. Perhaps even thrive on it."

Nat needs little help; electronic principles have changed little since the rise of the transistor, and something as old as the radio is easy to diagnose with its few, simple circuits. Iris is useful in identifying workarounds and other repairs made over the years at least.

"Even mighty workhorses need putting out to pasture," Iris notes quietly, in the midst of the work. She steps back as the radio springs to life, giving Dix and Nat more room at the console, almost as if spooked by the unfamiliar voice.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie FP: 5/3

"Could a half dozen working radios out of that pile if we need to." Nath says, then gets on the radio to attempt to clarify the voice on the other end, "We read you. I repeat, we read you. What's your situation? Repeat, Sitrep."

fate point added daww thx robo

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Rhyming Dragon? Okay, she'll take it. Seeing her rolling her eyes is like watching lamplight whorl. but okay, okay, as long as Lady Curly-Q isn't taking out frustrations on her or the group, she'll take it.

She simply says, "No matter how long I've spent cultivating my vocabulary... it never grows any easier to explain." She toyed with saying 'brain' instead of 'vocabulary,' but drat if she's actually going to rhyme under expectation. That said, she coils up in a large portion of the corner of the room and watches the witch and the vampire tinker with archaic electronics. If any event is going to be worth happening, it's likely to be here, though she does offer, "If the troops need heavy lifting, let me know."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Expert knob-wiggling clears up most of the interference, Nat's vampiric hearing picking up what was still obscured by static. "Hello? Full House, come in Full House. This is Nines High." The voice calls down the line, sounding hugely panicked. "This is an emergency, we need evac immediately. We secured vital intel about a security flaw in the jamming system but our man on the inside was found out. We have no idea how compromised we or other cells are. Repeat, requesting immediate evac!"

Outside the room, Dix was preoccupied by something far more pressing. "…did you two drink the tea? The big urn with 'drink me' on it?" She pinches the bridge of her nose and sighs. "The 'drink me' potion is to make you smaller, remember!?" She growls at Night and Ana, both both now about a foot shorter. "What are you doing wandering off around here, anyway!?" The scowl looks to be fixed to her face, now. "You two better hope I still have some of those biscuits around…"

Sorry for both the wait and how shrimpy the update is, but let's just move on along now and get things back on track.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"I don't remember, thank-you-very-much!" Night marches right up to Dix with her hands on her hips. Any intimidating posturing is diminished by the fact that she has to look almost straight up at her. "That is, about the potion or why I was wandering. That tends to be my thing! Why weren't you better supervising me?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Since when was it my job to keep you from getting into trouble!?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"Nines High." Nat says into the radio, "This is Jokers Wild. HOLD TIGHT. I REPEAT. HOLD TIGHT. WE ARE COMING TO GET YOU. You will know when we get there. Give us a signal to your location when we arrive. I repeat. SIGNAL WHEN WE ARRIVE."

Nathalie turns towards Dix, looking at the woman inscrutably. A look that could be taken as what-would-you-do-if-we-weren't-here-stop-giving-us-poo poo but could as easily not mean that at all. In a way so laconic--no, vampiric-- that makes everyone in the room feel like they're moving slower as opposed to Nathalie moving faster, she turns towards Carol.

"Something, something, something, I'll drink a flagon." Nathalie says, tgebtakes an overly dramatic pause then continues, "These wankers are goners. I'm riding a dragon."

"Do you have, like, a vertical launch area from here or do we have to go outside to get this done?" Nathalie asks Dix. This time, the tone is unmistakeable. Nathalie clearly views herself and Carol as the Cavalry.

xian fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 30, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"You are in charge, are you not?" She glances at Nathalie momentarily, but ignores her in favor of maintaining the tempo of her argument. "It's your responsibility to keep everyone from getting into trouble~! This is clearly not in accordance with the Standard Safety Procedure Manual. All poison and chemical hazards should be posted clearly with the required personal protective equipment, material safety data sheets, and the signature and date for both the chemist and their supervisor. Intro to Chapter 3B."

Night waggles a finger as she quotes straight from the book. Had someone had a copy handy, they would have noted that it was repeated verbatim. "I might not remember much, but I do remember the regulations I've written!"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"Acknowledged Jokers Wild, signal on stand-by." Nat hears crackle back over the radio.

"Ugh!" Dix groans as Night lectures her on the Mayordom's OH&S procedures. It was a long, loud, annoyed groan, almost an acquainted level of annoyance with being lectures on regulations. "The regulations you drafted don't matter a drat while the Tetrarch is in control!" She stamps a foot. "Come back and cite me for improper chemical storage after we tear down this quisling."

Dix is interrupted from more being angry at Night by Nat asking her something. "Vertical launch area?" She turns on her heels to stare right back at Nat, her expression a great deal more blunt that hers. It was saying nothing less than 'I'm mad enough to throttle somebody right now'. "There's roof access for our anti-air defence, you can use that."

Robodog fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 31, 2014

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Very well! We'll save the incident report paperwork for later." She makes a note in her phone, then turns to Carol claps her hands twice. "Let's head up and get moving!"

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 31, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

The slight-less-than-big spider now has other things on her mind. Information! Extraction!

In fact, she might be able to make the best of her situation. Being smaller could help her with aerial pursuits. "Get more tea," she says. "And pack biscuits!" Ana calls. "Carol?" she asks. "How small do I need to be for you to carry me?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

When Dix gives her the blunt—one might interpret as threatening look—Nathalie doesn't try to stop herself from going what she would think of as half-Nosferatu. Slightly taller, even thinner, fangs out, arms growing more sinuous, fingernails sharpening into claws. "Palace intrigue is boring." She says, her voice more ragged and savage, then leads the way out the door.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Carol's eyes light up with a fiery glow, and she turns sinuously in the passage to move into action. The reason Nath moves faster is that Carol's massive size means she has to move more carefully in the underground bunker. Also because Nath is a vampire with vampire fasty-move powers.

Pretty much ignoring Dix's surliness, (everything's already been said that needs to be,) she looks down at the miniaturized Ana and Night, "Er, if I'm carrying Nath and anyone else too, pony-sized or smaller would suit. Like the centaur girls from the city. Remember Pink Rage and... um... Blue nice filly? Or was it Purple Rage?"

She continues slithering and clambering down the passages, commenting idly, "If we're going to do this often, we should weave me some people-satchels or something," That said, she proceeds to the roof access take-off point and takes off when everyone who's coming aboard is aboard.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Palace intrigue is not boring! Shoo!" She shoos them off. "Go save the people!" Night turns to Dix, then back to Nathalie. "Wait! I'm going, right?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"I'm starting to get where Dix is coming from." Nathalie says to nobody in particular, not breaking stride, but not drastically outpacing anyone either.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Iris FP: 4/3

And suddenly there's a whirlwind of activity! More a couple of metaphoric dust devils, to be honest. No, an actual whirlwind, as the great sails of Carol's wings scoop the still air as she turns. Iris puts a hand at the nape of her neck, keeping her vines from flying entirely askew, and watches the others head for the exit.

The question that creeps through the dryad's mind is what she should do. She doesn't consider herself a combatant, and there's got to be a limit to Carol's (pardon) capacity, bless the strength of her heart. Still, someone may need medical care. Iris hurries out of the radio room, pausing momentarily to steady a pile of devices knocked toward the fall.

In the hall there's shouting about tea, alerting her to the fact that other things have gone awry. Because really, if she can have a civilized debate with a kappa and domovoi about the merits of their (adoptive) homelands' infusions, then nobody should need to...

Iris looks at Ana. Then at a doorframe. Then to Night, the doorframe again, and Dix. Neither woman is any less menacing for being notably shorter-- at least, not yet. The dryad sidles around the edge of the hallway to get a better sidelong look at the two, looking for the telltale signs of sprouting antennae or wing buds, but to her relief she sees nothing. Given how desperate the resistance seems to be, it wouldn't come as a complete surprise if they were using fairy food as a sort of biochemical weapon.

"Haven't precisely the opportunity at the moment, but if that... shrinkage hasn't worn itself out by the time we return, I'm sure I can get a counter-agent steeping without too much trouble," Iris calls from the rear as she follows the others up and out of the hidden base.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

"There's probably a reason some dragons dwell in secluded caves," Carol replies, keeping pace with Nath in the tight tunnels, more or less. Her head keeps level with the vampire, but her body perforce must stay behind Nathelie to avoid stepping on her.

"And start spitting fire when nobles begin waving their flags and pointy hats around."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
As our team of intrepid adventures and rescuers reach the roof, the former Jack of Clubs arrives with a thermos of tea and a packet of Eat Me© brand biscuits as requested. "You need to be careful." He warns, worry contorting his brow. "The moment the Tetrarch notices rebels attacking, with a dragon, he's going to respond with as much force as he can. You need to hit hard, get those people out of there, and leg it again." He advises. But whether his sage words are taken on board or not, he wouldn't know until the job was done.

Though the anti-air gun slash catapult slash net slash howitzer took up much of the space on top of the tree base, there was still enough room for Carol to stretch out to her full size and let her wings out to their full width. After the others arrange themselves on her back, Nat taking her place up front as designated dragon-rider, Carol starts beating her massive wings and takes off. The force from the wing beats blows dust and leaves up all around the tree and clearing, leaving a dust cloud behind as she took to the air.

As the dragon flies, it wasn't far to the city at all. After only a few minutes flight, the top of a spire could be seen over the horizon. And then the rest quickly came into view, showing those who hadn't been before the true majesty of the former Mayordom. Former, because even if Night did remember what her city looked like before what was laid out under her bore little resemblance to it. A large castle spiralling upwards from the centre of the city, dominating the landscape. Sprawling out from around it were houses, shops and factories for miles. None of it was ever more than two stories high, lest it rival the castle, so it had to spread out. The closer Carol and her passengers got, the more of the city was revealed. Soon, even past the horizon, there was only the city to see. No trees, no deep dark forests, no empty plains filled with farmers. Just urban growth.

This was the Democratic People's Republic of Kalabria.

So far Night and Ana are smaller than usually, if anybody else wants to take a sip of tea before piling on Carol just say the word. And you are all pretty much at the city now, flying and all, so if you want to enact whatever crazy plan you have, you can go ahead and kick it off and we'll be in town.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night holds onto her hat with one hand, shouting over the wind. "You don't suppose you could track the exact location of the distress signal, do you?" Her question is aimed at nobody in particular. "Perhaps we could triangulate it somehow! Oh, we should probably land somewhere before we get spotted!"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"The whole point," Nathalie doesn't need to shout, her voice carries despite the wind, "Is that we are going to give them a signal, then they're going to give us one back. We're going to give them some of those biscuits, hop them on Carol's back, and high tail it out. If we have to fight our way out, then we fight our way out. I'm beginning to get hungry, anyway."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"I thought the biscuits were for growing!" She pouts slightly. "I was hoping to use them for a growing uppercut."

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"Then we give them the tea!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"But how will we boil it?" She thumps on Carol's back. "Dear? You can breath fire, yes?"

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"They can drink lukewarm shrinking potion. If it comes to it, they can chew the leaves."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Very well~!" She thumps on Carol's back once more. "Could you make a low pass against the closest patrol to our target?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

Attack a patrol. It's a bold idea, at least, and more than she'd have given Night credit for. "I'll take this rooftop," she announces. Pocketing one of the biscuits, the notably smaller Arachne jumps off Carol's back and clatters to a landing on a rooftop near the patrol, slowing herself with webbing.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

"Seems like everyone except me is forgetting why we came here." Nathalie says, "To attack random patrols? Or to rescue the guys who are pinned down with intel... and we don't know... where... they are..." Nathalie said for them to signal, they wouldn't know when to signal without some queue from her end.

"Yeah, actually, take em down and make it loud. Loud enough that the rebels know what's going on so they give their signal. Loud enough to create some misdirection for why we're actually here, even for a few minutes. Time enough for us to do a bit of search and rescue."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"That was my original plan!"

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Carol

Mighty wings spread wide, Carol swoops over the urban sprawl.  Lamp-like eyes wide, slack-jawed, she doesn't respond to anyone at first, illusions of a mystical fairy tale Wonderland further shattered.  It takes Night's pounding palm to even make her remember her passengers.

She cranes her head back, looking befuddled, "No, I don't breathe fire.  I breathe air... I mean, high-pressure blasts of wind, like I have a hurricane in my lungs."  Everyone starts debating over whether or not to actually assault a patrol, she shakes her head in dismay, "Wouldn't it be easier to just do this?"  She puts two fingers into her mouth and whistles.  

With the sheer gale-force of air rushing forth,  it belts out like a great, wailing, train whistle, although one that knows how to wolf-whistle!  

=======

Combining Half Monster with my stunt for putting the Gale in Carol's lungs to cleverly create a signal to which the rebels may respond.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nathalie

Thank god someone was on the same page as Nath. Double thank god it's the giant dragon. "Yes!" Nathalie says, fist pumping astride Carol's neck, "Now that's what I call a signal! Let's do this!"

xian fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 10, 2014

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Arachne

Ana shifts on the rooftop, moving closer to the ledge while keeping in shadows. She takes the biscuit from her pocket and noshes it, preparing for the return to her full size.

Invoking Mythic Greek Spy to infiltrate the roof and get into ambush position for the patrol

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Night FP: 1/3

Upon hearing the whistle, Night jumps to her feet. "Wait, wait! I can help!" She waves her non-hat-holding hand wildly in the air, creating a literal fireworks display to spring into existence. An oversized neon sign pointing to a static location appears in a shower of rainbow-colored sparks soon after. "Do you think they'll see it?"

Creating the Flashy advantage Eat at Night's!
[21:19] Atlatl !r fudge+2
[21:19] Krysmbot Atlatl, /---+2 = -1
[21:20] Atlatl man gently caress you too krysmbot
Reroll using an FP and Last night, Night before...
[21:20] Atlatl !r fudge+2
[21:20] Krysmbot Atlatl, -/+/+2 = 2

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
The plan, much like a fork, was three-pronged. In fact, with prongs of exploding fireworks and neon, gale force winds, and a massive, hungry spider, it was exactly like a fork. The plan was going to go in hard and fast, pick up the target in no time at all, and then whisk it all home again safely.

The first prong, naturally, kicks things off. Carol breathes in deep from the cool night air and fills her enormous lungs up. When she blows it all out, the sound of a freight train steaming through the night rattles every house and shatters every window pane inside of a mile. Surely, this grabbed the attention of the rebels. And the army. And anything with ears.

The second prong explodes. Fireworks and neon signage bursts all around Carol and the flying freedom fighters. Zeroing in on a building with a large enough roof for a landing and take off, the neon signs jump across and set themselves up upon it. And the fireworks all fire up as if launched from the rooftop, the patterns pointing down towards the building-cum-landing-pad.

The third prong was already getting into place while the first and second prongs were busy doing their thing. See, while a signal was surely given between prong one and prong two, it alerted drat near everybody in the town. Including certain patrolling members of the armed forces, who would get there before Nines High and get into a fight. But Ana's job was predicting these sorts of things and defusing them before matters came to a head. While a rather large, startled patrol does hustle down the lane-way towards the giant 'Eat at Night's!' sign they are so distracted that dropping a massive spiderweb down upon them was easy. Quickly followed by dropping the giant spider down upon them. They were no longer going to be a problem.

An agonisingly long time passes after Carol's signal and Night's fireworks go off before another person, one not webbed up and dealt with by Ana, make themselves known. "Jokers Wild?" A solitary man, dressed in technicians overalls but otherwise carrying nothing with him, asks from a fair way down the alleyway from the building Carol and co had landed on.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Night waves to the man. "I'm sorry, what did you say? What are you asking?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"M-Mayor Night!?" The man says with equal parts astonishment and terror.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

She looks around before pointing to herself. "Yes? Why do you ask?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
"B-but you're not meant to be here! They said you were dead!"