Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Slime Bro Helpdesk
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe this is more of Goon Doctor question, but it's about antidepressants and there seems to be more mental health threads here?

About two years ago my therapist and I felt it was time for me to get on an antidepressant. I was dealing with a lot of depression over my brother's suicide, family issues, relationship issues, work issues...basically anything that could be an issue was an issue. He recommended me to a psychiatrist he knew and prescribed me 20mg of Viibryd daily. I've been consistent in taking my medications and visiting my therapist.

Two years later, I feel things have generally been on an upswing. I'm two years further along in dealing with my brother's death, the relationship and it's respective issues are over, I've moved to a new job I'm very happy with, and I'm even back in my home city with a more established friends network. I've had some crappy weekends in the last 6 months, but nothing I would think of as too terrible.

At this point, I'd like to try and figure out a way off Viibryd. It's not a cheap drug ($170/month) and while I can afford that I could think of plenty of better things to do with than money. I never tried prozac or other drugs before, but I understand that there are cheaper and similar options- especially since I'm told 20mg is not a particularly strong dosage. Obviously I'd also like to imagine there would come a time when I could get off this type of medication.

What's the best way to approach this conversation with my therapist/etc? Has anyone gone through this? Also, anyone who was on Viibryd have any experiences in changing meds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008

Send us signals in the glow
of night windows

Just go to the doctor and tell them exactly what you wrote here.

Slime Bro Helpdesk
Jul 2, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Just go to the doctor and tell them exactly what you wrote here.

Well, poo poo.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Well, what did you expect? A cheat code?

Slime Bro Helpdesk
Jul 2, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Well, what did you expect? A cheat code?

I'm not sure. For whatever reason it makes me a bit nervous, maybe because I would have though either my therapist or psychiatrist would have already suggested something- at least on the when I can/should stop taking these.

Also I think I wanted to see if anyone who was on Viibryd had any experiences in getting off it/switching to something else. Obviously effects/side-effects vary, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

keyvin
Sep 9, 2003

My flesh and blood lives. No matter what.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm not sure. For whatever reason it makes me a bit nervous, maybe because I would have though either my therapist or psychiatrist would have already suggested something- at least on the when I can/should stop taking these.

Also I think I wanted to see if anyone who was on Viibryd had any experiences in getting off it/switching to something else. Obviously effects/side-effects vary, but thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

You might try asking in the psychiatric medication megathread in the goon doctor.

Seriously though, the konami code gets me a three month supply of opiates AND benzos.

Slime Bro Helpdesk
Jul 2, 2007

keyvin posted:

You might try asking in the psychiatric medication megathread in the goon doctor.

Seriously though, the konami code gets me a three month supply of opiates AND benzos.

Crap I missed that thread when I scanned over TGD. Thanks.

Early on I was getting discounts/free samples of Viibryd so the cost was not bothering me as much. Sadly that well has dried up.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Viibryd is a bit of an odd choice for a first antidepressant, primarily because its fairly new and expensive and studies have failed to show much of a difference between antidepressants. Might as well start with something cheap and cheerful in most cases.

Still, two years is plenty of time to now be considering coming off the antidepressants, particularly if this was your first episode of depression. See your psychiatrist and tell him you feel in a better place mentally and think you are ready to start tapering off the drugs. As a medical student who has done psychiatry believe me that's a perfectly reasonable request.

And for future reference if you are unlucky enough to relapse you might consider asking to try a cheaper antidepressant if you are paying out of pocket. If your doctor wants you on an expensive drug he should be able to justify it over cheaper ones.

Dr. Strangelove
Dec 30, 2004

If the drug is working for you that is a pretty good thing. It is always a risk to change a something that is working. Definitely talk to your therapist /psychologist about your concerns. Before you switch see if your psychologist can hook you up with free samples or has some other idea. Also see if you can qualify for the Patient Assistance Program

http://www.forestpharm.com/pap/

Rieux
Jan 15, 2010

It's not a bad idea you have there. I work in medicine, and I have to say, people don't necessarily need to take certain medications for life, especially not SSRI antidepressants. If you're feeling pretty good and things are generally on the up-and-up, it's not a bad idea to try going off the med.

Ask your doc if you can wean off of the med carefully, while also keeping careful track of any depression/anxiety-related symptoms.

I think it is quite likely you could stop taking this med if the rest of your life circumstances properly align.

jabby posted:

As a medical student who has done psychiatry believe me that's a perfectly reasonable request.

Haha, same here. I'm a fourth-year med student (U.S.).

Anyways, the most important thing to keep track of are your symptoms related to depression. Your brother committed suicide, and I'm guessing you're not the only member of your family who has dealt with depression/anxiety symptoms, so the most important thing is to pay attention to yourself, recognize when you're feeling blue, and talk to a professional about it.

Depression is a serious issue, and it deserves respect. That said, if you seem to be doing well, it's reasonable to give a medication-free lifestyle a trial.

Jeffrey
Dec 22, 2005
mildly retarded

Save 15% or more by switching to paxil

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

a fanfiction involving Brad, Lina, Rylai, and Aiushtha

You can buy 90 day generics at costco for $10, you do not need a membership for the pharmacy.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

Ask the pharmacist for his opinion and pit him against the doctor.

Carl Seitan
May 20, 2004

jabby posted:

Viibryd is a bit of an odd choice for a first antidepressant, primarily because its fairly new and expensive and studies have failed to show much of a difference between antidepressants.

The drug rep likely visited his doctor a week before the OP had his initial appointment.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

Go to your regular psychiatrist and tell them about your experience with the drug, highlighting how your life is better, but how you're frustrated by the cost of it. If your doc is worth anything, they'll find you a cheaper alternative.

Seriously, most decent doctors absolutely love their patients being their own advocates.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Definitely talk to your doctor about it, but be aware that changing your medication often involves a short or mid-term transition period where your brain chemical levels are going to be out of whack, and each type of medication works slightly differently so it's possible the new medication may not help you as much as your current medication does.

In the end it's worth paying the big sum of money each month if it works well, but you can always work with your doctor to try out alternatives.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Who the gently caress gives out free samples of an antidepressant? Is that even legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

snorch posted:

Who the gently caress gives out free samples of an antidepressant? Is that even legal?

I think in the US drugs reps may give free samples to doctors, and the doctors can give them to patients if they prescribe that particular drug. It's a fairly sleazy way to try and get doctors to prescribe your new drug, but it can sometimes work for patients who can't afford their medication.