Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

These threads are always fun. Most people agree that three years is an adequate enough time to evaluate a draft class, so in the Year of our Lord 2014 let's take a look at the 2011 draft.

Seahawks

1st round: James Carpenter, OG, Alabama

Tore his ACL in his rookie year and hasn't really been the same since. In 2013 was reduced to a rotating role with Paul McQuistan and Michael Bowie. A potential cap casualty in the offseason. Grade: D

3rd round: John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin

Dealt with chronic knee issues before being shipped to the Broncos and retiring in his third year. Is a big Chomsky fan, so he's probably insufferable at parties. Grade: F

4th round: K.J. Wright, LB, Mississippi State

Won the starting job in his first year and hasn't looked back since. A vital part of the defense. Grade: A+

4th round: Kris Durham, WR, Georgia

One of the tallest receivers in the league, but injuries torpedoed what potential he may have had. Was cut in 2012 and went to Detroit. He was the Lions' No. 2 WR for a while, which says more about the Lions than about Durham. Grade: C-

5th round: Richard Sherman, CB, Stanford

Gee, I wonder if people have heard of this guy. Grade: A+

5th round: Mark LeGree, S, Appalachian State

Sucked, cut in preseason. Grade: F

6th round: Byron Maxwell, CB, Clemson

A solid depth and special teams guy for a while, Maxwell had his coming out party this year, making people quickly forget about Brandon Browner. Has likely earned the starting job going forward. Grade: A

7th round: Lazarius Levingston, DE, LSU

Sadly, could never live up to his awesome name. Couldn't see the field due to injuries and was waived in 2012. Grade: D

7th round: Malcolm Smith, LB, USC

Replaced LeRoy Hill as the new starter after a couple seasons of special teams work. A solid, if unspectacular, player who is overshadowed by Wright and Bobby Wagner. For the seventh round, this is a home run. Grade: A

Overall

Sherman needs no introduction, and Wright, Maxwell and Smith are all major gets. Much like 2010 and 2012, this draft is a testament to John Schneider's gift for identifying talent in the lower rounds. Unfortunately, the top of the draft has to be considered a whiff--the Seahawks spent their first two picks on guards and the position is still a problem three years later. I'll be docking points for that, but on the whole there is very little to complain about here. Grade: A-

E: For posterity, here's the 2010 thread from last year.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3541670

The Patriots sections are...unfortunate.

Benne fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 05:50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm 90% sure Cam is the only member of that Panthers draft class left. Marty Hurney loving poo poo the bed.

Edit: Yep

Terell McClain - DT - Undersized, gone
Sione Fua - DT - Mediocre, gone
Brandon Hogan - CB - Can't recall him ever playing a down. Injury Problems, gone
Kealoha Pilares - WR - Was an okay kick returner, poo poo receiver, was replaced by the far better Ted Ginn. Gone
Lawrence Wilson - LB - Who the gently caress was this. Gone. Not sure he ever played either.
Zack Williams - C/G - Obviously the Panthers just had too many good O-Linemen for him to fit in. Gone.
Lee Ziemba - C - Cam's center at Auburn. That's the only reason this made any lick of sense. loving Gone.

Ladies and gentlemen, one of the worst draft classes ever. And it could have been worse... the previous year Hurney offered someone the first (#1 overall) to trade up and draft Jimmy Clausen. Bullet loving dodged. Also we didn't have a second rounder because we traded it to get Armanti loving Edwards. gently caress.

Cam Newton: A-OK
The Rest of This Draft: Fat Puke.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 02:41

Catfish Noodlin
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Miami Dolphins

1st C Mike Pouncey- He was the highest Center taken in a long time and has generally played up to the billing. He's generally considered one of the top Centers, and better than his brother which wasn't supposed to be the case coming out of college. He's one of the more mobile offensive linemen in the league and is a bit under-used in this capacity. A good pick

2nd RB Daniel Thomas- Coming out of college he looked like a well-rounded back without any stand-out skills, but just looked plain good in a outside zone scheme. Tony Sparano and Co. determined he was a power back because he is big(despite not actually playing like it), and used him largely in that regard. Has bursts of talent every once and a while in space, but no one seems able to overlook his size so he's a down-hill between the B-gaps runner until he goes somewhere else. A bad pick.

4th WR Edmond Gates- Didn't get on the field much, sucked when he was, cut in his second pre-season. He's had some snaps for the Jets, but I don't think that's really an indication he's an NFL quality receiver either. A bad pick.

5th FB/TE Charles Clay- He showed talent almost immediately as a rookie(despite mainly being used as a fullback). He got a lot more snaps his second year but suffered drops and other unforced errors, but really came on this year with Dustin Keller going down. He's incredibly versatile in terms of his route tree, and had some extraordinary after the catch efforts. He'll almost certainly be a starter going forward. A Good Pick.

7th round DT Frank Kearse- Didn't make it out of pre-season, but still in the league. whatever

7th CB/FS Jimmy Wilson- Killed a dude, and was sentenced to play for the Dolphins whom will move him between CB and FS until some unforeseen point in the future. Generally ends up a Nickel CB due to injuries and plays acceptably for a guy who starts every camp as a back-up safety.An OK pick

UDFA Pat Devlin- Has been the #3 QB since then. Hasn't seen any regular season snaps, hasn't distinguished himself much in pre-season. Probably helps clean up the locker room which can't hurt with Philbin.

Quest For Glory II
Dec 17, 2003

1 23 Danny Watkins OL
2 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett DB
3 90 Curtis Marsh DB
4 116 Casey Matthews LB
4 120 Alex Henery K
5 149 Dion Lewis RB
5 161 Julian Vandervelde OL
6 191 Jason Kelce OL
6 193 Brian Rolle LB
7 237 Greg Lloyd LB
7 240 Stanley Havili RB

Is there a grade below F

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

1 23 Danny Watkins OL
2 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett DB
3 90 Curtis Marsh DB
4 116 Casey Matthews LB
4 120 Alex Henery K
5 149 Dion Lewis RB
6 191 Jason Kelce OL
6 193 Brian Rolle LB
7 237 Greg Lloyd LB
7 240 Stanley Havili RB

Is there a grade below F

poo poo, I stand corrected.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Holy poo poo I forgot Casey Matthews existed

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

Footbawwww at it's finest.

Poor Casey "Cooper" Matthews.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Quest For Glory II posted:

1 23 Danny Watkins OL
2 54 Jaiquawn Jarrett DB
3 90 Curtis Marsh DB
4 116 Casey Matthews LB
4 120 Alex Henery K
5 149 Dion Lewis RB
6 191 Jason Kelce OL
6 193 Brian Rolle LB
7 237 Greg Lloyd LB
7 240 Stanley Havili RB

Is there a grade below F

Is there anything salvageable out of this draft? I recognize maybe two names, and that's only because of Eagles fans complaining how terrible they are.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

That man has the largest penis I have ever seen. I actually don't even know if he has mumps, forgot to look. I was distracted - by the largest penis I have ever seen

Vikings 2011

Christian Ponder QB - 1st round 12th overall

There were a lot of reasons to hate the pick at the time, but if he had managed the heights of Andy Dalton I would be okay with it now. Instead Matt Cassell should be the only quarterback on the roster going into 2014 and the Vikings wasted three years of Peterson's prime. He had some decent games but most of us knew it was never real improvement, and Ponder was a major source of my disinterest in the Vikings the last few years. He may have been more with a better coaching staff but who cares. D-

Kyle Rudolph TE - 2nd round 43rd overall

Has size and natural ability and would likely produce more if the passing game was more consistent. He's had various injuries since college and needs to stay healthy this next season to assess where he's at. However he fit a need at the time and has been the assumed starter for two seasons. Being drafted to be Ponder's safety valve has hurt him. B-

Christian Ballard DT - 4th round

Quit football because the NFL "wasn't for him." He probably just felt the same way I did seeing the Vikings. F

Brandon Burton CB -5th round

Had size but no instincts. He's with the Bills after being cut this season. 5th round CB so expectations were low and they can't all be Sherman. D+

DeMarcus Love T -5th round

I loved the pick at the time as greath depth at RT. However he had an early injury, and was suspended this past offseason for PED's. He's now with Jacksonville. I still think it was solid value for the slot, but it didn't work out. C

Mistral Raymond SS- 6th round

Still love the name, but another in a long line of safeties that hang around the Vikings for too long because there is no one else. Can't cover. C-

Brandon Fusco G- 6th round

He was absolutely terrible early on, but in 2013 he became a decent guard. Charlie Johnson is the one that needs to be replaced. A 6th round comfortable starter three later later is always an A

Brandon Ross LB- 6th- One year, went to Tampa practice squad and retired because of concussions. Fit a need but wasn't anything. D
D'Aundre Reed DE- 7th- Stuck around until this year, cut and went to SF, then Jacksonville. D

Stephen Burton WR 7th

Burton had the opportunity with the Vikings to be anything because we had no one. He was talked about briefly as someone who might surpise, but instead ended up like most 7th round Wide Receivers. Also now employed by the Jaguars. I didn't realize how thin the Jaguars were until now. C

Overall Grade D+

4/9 are still on the team at this time. Fusco is the only player to surprise, and Rudolph is still unrealized potential. Raymond will be cut eventually to the notice of few, and Ponder is a name I hope to forget soon. This was a terrible draft even considering it was mostly 3rd day picks. However if Fusco and Rudolph can be consistent going forward, I can forgive it. If you can get a couple of long term starters from any draft it's hard to consider it a complete disaster. If the Vikings hadn't reached on Ponder and wasted years waiting for him to develop, it could even be considered successful. The players picked immediately after Ponder were Nick Fairley and Robert Quinn.

I also get to mumble about how much I loved Colin Kaepernick in 2011 for the foreseeable future. I know he wouldn't have done much with the Vikings offensive coaching staff, but I was right and they were wrong and I hate Ponder.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 03:14

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

DO NOT DENY YOUR DESTINY

oh boy one of these threads.

2011 was a Pioli year so that means this draft is gon be pretty rough.

Round 1: Jon Baldwin.
I felt sorry for him because maybe he could be good if he didn't have Matt Cassel throwing to him. I guess he's not getting thrown to now, though, so it doesn't really matter any more. We traded him to San Fran for their bust first round receiver so I guess he's just a case of no net gain. Let's look at the dudes we could have taken instead:
Andy Dalton
Colin Kaepernick
Mo Wilkerson
Kyle Rudolph
Torrey Smith
Randall Cobb
I know that's mostly hindsight, but it still stings to know that we missed out on a bunch of good players, especially in positions of current and past need.

Round 2: Rodney Hudson.
Our starting center. Has not been awful.
Round 3: Justin Houston.
basically the best. Our D is poo poo without him and he would be a household name if he was on a big-market team.
Round 3: Allen Bailey
A rotational DE who is a person.
Round 4: Jalil Brown
A bad CB who is I guess a Dolphin now? Taken some 36 picks before Richard Sherman
Round 5: Ricky Stanzi.
Someone who never got to start even though he was behind Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn. fuckin pioli never letting america's boy shine
Round 5: Gabe Miller
A tight end who was drafted as an LB. He is gone.
Round 6: Jerrell Powe
A guy named Powe who was supposed to be our nose tackle. We drafted Dontari Poe the next year.
Round 7: Shane Bannon
No joke, a Yale fullback.

This draft was the first one I ever followed. It was fun to watch Gabbert-Ponder-Locker happen in real time.

CaptainYesterday
Sep 14, 2011

The cock of the walk

11. DE J.J. Watt - A++ Would Draft Again
42. DE Brooks Reed - B-
60. CB Brandon Harris - C
127. CB Rashad Carmichael - F
144. S Shiloh Keo - B-
152. QB T.J. Yates - B-
214. OT Derek Newton - C
254. DE Cheta Ozougwu - Does it matter?

6/8 guys are still on the team, and one of them is J.J. Watt. I give it an A-.

CaptainYesterday fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 03:10

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Derek Sherrod- F. Broke both of the bones in his lower leg in a gruesome injury against Kansas City in 2011, just started to get practice snaps late last season. He had to undergo surgery in 2012 to stabilize his lower leg IIRC. I doubt he'll ever really recover, which is just terrible luck.

Randall Cobb- A+. Freakishly good after the catch, excellent on special teams and a really all around fantastic weapon. Shame about his leg injury this year.

Alex Green- F. Tore his ACL in October of his rookie year, did absolutely nothing afterward. Was a benchwarmer for the Jets this year after being cut by the PAckers.

Davon House- D+. Okay special teams guy and sometimes fill in corner. He really struggled late this year- so much so that he got benched for Jarrett Bush on dime snaps. Yeah.

DJ Williams-F. Did absolutely nothing of note. Never really developed as a pass catcher or blocker, got cut this year.

Caleb Schlauderaff- F. Traded to the Jets for nothing his rookie year.

DJ Smith- D+. Got decent value out of him his rookie year, then Smith shredded his knee his second year. No longer a Packer.

Ricky Elmore- F. Didn't even get offered a practice squad spot after he was cut his rookie year. Total waste of a pick.\

Ryan Taylor- B+. Good special teams player, not very good on offnese. Still worth the grade because he's been a ST mainstay.

Notable UDFAs: Brandon Saine, Brandian Ross (sorry Raiders fans), MD Jennings, Jamari Lattimore. Ross and Jennings are awful, Saine was okay and then blew his knee out, Lattimore has flashed some as an ILB but has been inconsistent.

Overall grade: D. Worst TT trade ever, most likely. He only got one starter out of the mix. Wondering why the Packers team has holes? Look at the '11 and '12 drafts, they are both ugly. E: I should be fair, the jury's still out on Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy, but ugh.

superaielman fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 03:13

Eifert Posting
Mar 31, 2007

Atkins Diet

code:

Grade(Grade adjusted to round)

1	4 (4)	       Green, A.J. 	WR

A(A)       Pretty drat good.

2	3 (35)	       Dalton, Andy 	QB

B(A)       What we needed at the time.  Pretty good QBs out of the second are rare.

3	2 (66)	       Moch, Dontay 	DL

D(C)       Still a head scratcher.  Better value was around.

4	4 (101)	       Boling, Clint 	OL

A(A)      Excellent guard out of the 4rth.

5	3 (134)	       Sands, Robert 	FS

D(C)      Never panned out.

6	2 (167)	       Whalen, Ryan 	WR

C(B)      Still around, all you can expect from a 6th rounder.

7	4 (207)	       Lindsey, Korey 	CB

F(C)    Never played

7	43 (246)       Finley, Jay 	RB

F(C)    Never played
Pretty cool that this is only the 3rd best Bengals draft since 2010.

bhsman
Feb 9, 2008

"Life ain't just about murder and goats, son."

CaptainYesterday posted:

42. DE Brooks Reed - B-
144. S Shiloh Keo - B-
152. QB T.J. Yates - B-
214. OT Derek Newton - C

I feel pretty similarly, especially how Reed and Yates played during their rookie years.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

You come at the king, you best not miss.

I love these.

Ravens 2011 Draft

Round 1 - Jimmy Smith CB
Jimmy had a pretty rough start. He was injured on the very first play in the regular season with a high ankle sprain and was out for half of his rookie year. When he was healthy, he would get burned by double moves constantly. In 2011 LarDarius Webb was out for a game during the best year of his career, Jimmy had to start in his place. Phillip Rivers then proceeded to slaughter Jimmy Smith every other play. He ended up with a groin injury during the end of the season, but showed a few flashes of his coverage. 2012 was pretty much the same thing as far as injuries/getting burned. 2013 holy poo poo, he suddenly became a beast in the middle of the season. He still got a lot of holding calls, but for the most part he was just awesome. Check out the Lions MNF game from this season if you have Gamepass, Jimmy dealt with Megatron pretty well.

Round 2 - Torrey Smith WR
Torrey had a rough rookie year as well. He was declared a bust by a lot of people because he dropped everything thrown at him in the preseason, and his 2 or 3 targets in the first two games of the 2011 season. He's gotten better every year. His rookie year he would just burn people on go routes. A lot of his plays were usually touchdowns from when he torched someone, or a DPI in the endzone. He ended up being a great compliment to Joe's arm. 2012 he starts to be a bit more diverse in his route running. For the most part, his highlight reel consisted of more of the same, touchdowns or huge DPI calls. In 2013 he's shown flashes of being a #1 but still remains as a great #2 guy. He became very polished on his routes and ended up being "the guy" this year. This was pretty awesome considering his hands were a bit unreliable in his first two seasons. Torrey owns.

Round 3 - Jah Reid OT

The Ravens traded up for this rear end in a top hat and he's awful. He was so terrible the Ravens brought in Bryant McKinnie between the end of preseason and the season opener. He ended up being the backup guy for when anyone went down. Luckily in his rookie year the Ravens had a relatively healthy line, but every time Reid stepped onto the field he'd get Joe murdered. He started in 2012 because Harbs doghoused McKinnie and the line sucked all year until they shuffled the line up and benched Reid again.
He was so bad that when the line had injuries this year, Harbs went with his 5th and 6th round rookie linemen and kept the guy in his 3rd year on the bench. I wish they'd just give up on him and save the roster spot.

Round 4 - Tandon Doss WR
He had a really rough start. He got buried in the depth at receiver since Ozzie always has a shitload of project receivers on the roster. When he ended up being in a game and getting a target he would drop the ball. He ended up being a wash but ended up getting a punt returned for a TD this year, and had a few nice plays simply because we had no healthy WRs at the beginning of this year. He'll probably stay on the roster for depth/special teams but he's expendable if the FO has some project receiver they like who needs the roster spot.

Round 5 - Chykie Brown CB
I really can't put my finger on this guy. He got a good amount of playing time in the 2012 season since Webb and Smith were both injured. I've seen him get burned and I've seen him make some nice plays. He's still a bit raw but for a 5th round pick he's good for depth and has game experience. I hope the FO keeps him around, personally.

Round 5 - Pernell McPhee DE
Had a great rookie season. A lot of people thought he'd be an unquestioned starter in 2012 but he was injured for a good amount of the season. He's an OLB now and is coming into his own as a pass rusher. I really like the guy and he shows pretty good burst off of the line. He's been mostly buried in the depth chart as he had to compete with Dumervil/Suggs/Upshaw for playtime this past season, but with the clock ticking on Suggs' time in Baltimore I hope the FO holds onto McPhee. Nice little Ozzie Gem in the late rounds for sure.

Round 6 - Tyrod Taylor QB
Mobile quarterback who plays entirely different from Joe, and is the only reason I watch Ravens preseason games. The Ravens bring him in for wacky option/wildcat plays occasionally (except for one game this year when Caldwell did it like a million times). He has no accuracy beyond a 15 yard pass however. As far as backups go you could do a lot worse, but if Joe got injured for a stretch of 4-6 games then that'll pretty much nuke a season in progress. Cool guy but I can't say I have too much faith in him managing a game.

Round 7 - Anthony Allen RB
Bad runningback, great special teams player. That's pretty much it.

Everyone except Allen is still on the team. 2 decent starters out of Torrey and Jimmy Smith, 3 if McPhee can be more consistent, and a good substitute/nickel guy in Chykie Brown. Even though trading up in the 3rd for Jah Reid really really sucked, I'll still have to give Ozzie an A- overall for grabbing a starting CB and WR with his first two picks, especially since he nearly always whiffs pretty hard on receivers.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Dogs are never responsible for their actions.

Dallas Cowboys

1st: Tyron Smith OT

Smith was a pretty good right tackle his rookie year but struggled after swapping to left tackle his second year. This season he was dominant and earned a Pro Bowl berth along with being named 2nd Team All Pro. A+

2nd: Bruce Carter OLB

Carter flashed potential as an ILB in Rob Ryan's 3-4 his rookie year and looked very good his second year before being lost to an injury mid-season. He struggled after transitioning to SAM linebacker in Kiffin's 4-3. You probably remember him as the guy who was beaten TWICE by Danny Woodhead for receiving touchdowns, and one of the guys responsible for not touching Brandon Meyers, who proceeded to get up and walk into the endzone for a score. Carter is incredibly gifted but has shown more bad than good so far, and next year is make-or-break for him. C+

3rd: Demarco Murray RB

Murray is awesome when healthy. Murray is not healthy very often. He also doesn't get enough carries when healthy. As a third round pick, he was a steal and I hope he can stay healthy next year. A-

4th: David Arkin G

Arkin was a project when drafted, and he was a healthy scratch for most of his career. I don't think he ever started a game and was cut this offseason. D

5th: Josh Thomas CB

Was cut before his rookie season, picked up by Carolina. He made a bone-headed penalty late in the playoff game and that's the only time I've ever heard of him doing anything. D

6th: Dwayne Harris WR

Harris is an elite special teams player; he is excellent on returns and is the leading tackler on coverage. He doesn't offer much on offense but he is pretty valuable nonetheless. A for getting value out of a 6th-rounder.

7th: Shaun Chapas FB

I don't remember if he ever started. He was on and off the practice squad and the team has relied on free agents at FB ever since so he he was a wasted pick. D

7th: Bill Nagy C

I had high hopes for Nagy, but he was injured his rookie year and placed on IR. He re-injured his ankle the following preseason and was waived and claimed by Detroit. He's out of the league now. D

Overall: B-

Tyron Smith was a home-run, and Murray was surprise value in the 3rd round. Other than that, there's not a whole lot outside of Harris on special teams. There's still a possibility that Carter redeems himself and becomes a reliable started at OLB but he is unreliable at this point.

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

Oakland Raiders

1: Nothing (Nothing) - Nothing was drafted, was able to contribute much more than some more recent #1 Draft Picks the Raiders have had. A+++++.

2: Stefen Wisniewski (C) - Considering how much the Raiders needed an O-Line, a problem that hasn't been solved since, this was a good start to fixing it. Replacing noted poo poo player Samson Satele, he was an overall upgrade from him despite dealing with some knee injury issues at the beginning of this season. B.

3: DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB) - A member of our atrocious pass defense that ranked 27th in the league and 31st in passing touchdowns given up. While there were other players involved in that, Van Dyke nonetheless contributed to being awful. Was released the next season. F.

3b: Joseph Barksdale (OT) - Don't even remember who this guy is. Didn't crack starting O-Line while here, released the next season. F.

4: Chimdi Chekwa (CB) - I guess this guy projected well but never did anything with it. Is still with the team but has not had an interception yet. D-.

4b: Taiwan Jones (RB) - Drafted as an RB to back up Darren McFadden, where he proceeded to do a poor job of it. Converted from a Running Back to a Corner which is typically a death knell for making the roster but likely made it to the 53 man roster because we're bad. Did absolutely nothing of note this season at that position. D.

5: Denarius Moore (WR) - Showed really well in the preseason and training camp and went on to become one of Carson Palmer's top options. Had some crazy games his rookie season, even winning Rookie of the Week twice but became spotty with his ability to catch passes. Nonetheless probably the second best choice of the draft. B-.

6: Richard Gordon (TE) - Didn't do anything with the Raiders, ended up on the Chiefs. Alongside DeMarcus Van Dyke he is the other Raiders player from this draft to end up there. F.

7: David Ausberry (WR) - Converted to Tight End and became a project, shows flashes of being a good player but he's typically a Special Teams player and backup. Considering his draft position it was a good choice considering he's still hanging around and semi-relevant. C+.

Overall: D

This was not a fun draft. Despite getting a good O-Lineman to help fix that perpetual issue and a Receiver that has catching problems every other player is gone or flat out bad. Denarius Moore might rebound back to being his former self from the Rookie season but given our luck, I doubt it. Wisniewski will likely be relevant on the O-Line for years to come however. Hopefully Taiwan Jones is loving gone after this season.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

Got a phone call while writing this so SD beat me and did a better job. Still going to put it up. You will endure my opinions!

1-29:Jimmy Smith B

Developed into a good corner this year but it took a while. Hard not to see him as an inferior Sherman clone. He even bested Crabtree on a national stage. B

2-58:Torrey Smith A

The single best WR in Ravens draft history. Is almost an okay number 1. A

3-85: Jah Reid F

Big guard that never figured into starting rotation. Probably doesn't make the 53 next year. F

4-123:Tandon Doss WR

Drafted for his sure hands, has terrible hands. Was given enough chances and eventually became a somewhat serviceable punt returner. D

5-164:Chykie Brown CB

Solid depth corner. Okay special teamer. Isn't a total liability when called to cover due to injury. JAG. C

5-165:Pernell McPhee DE

Flashed his rookie year with 5 or 6 sacks but hasn't met that potential since. Okay rotational linemen. B

6-180:Tyrod Taylor QB

Okay back up that has never seen meaningful playtime outside of a few wildcat plays. We don't have to pay a real back-up. Makes preseason games entertaining. A

7-225:Anthony Allen RB

No Longer with the team but was an excellent ST guy. B

Ravens have really struggled in the middle rounds recently.

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth

EDIT: Hahahahaah all of us at once

Ravens

1. Jimmy Smith - CB - B
Finally started looking like a first round talent in his third year, but it remains to be seen if he'll be able to maintain that form. Still the second best corner of a draft that featured Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman, and has performed at roughly the level of the guys picked around him.

2. Torrey Smith - WR - A+
Already the best receiver the team has ever drafted. Has the potential to be the best receiver in franchise history before the end of his second contract.

3. Jah Reid - G/T - D
Was a starter briefly during the Super Bowl season before a toe injury, but has barely seen the field otherwise. Apparently a worse guard now than AQ Shipley

4. Tandon Doss - WR/RS - D
A receiver who does nothing well, he was cut and resigned during the 2013 season and finally saw playing time due to the Ravens' wasteland at the WR position. Finished the season with the same yards per punt return as Jacoby Jones, so apparently a competent return man.

5. Chykie Brown - CB - B
A solid nickel/dime corner and one of our better special teams players at this point. That's about what you should expect from a 5th round corner.

5. Pernell McPhee - DE/LB - B
Had six sacks as a rookie playing exclusively on third downs, but hasn't been able to replicate that success. Not really gonna know what he can do as rush linebacker while Sizzle and Doom are still on the roster.

6. Tyrod Tayler - QB - C
He's been Flacco's only backup his entire time with the team, but only played outside of garbage time in one game as a wildcat QB, and has pretty much produced hot garbage. I don't really know else to ask from a sixth round QB though.

7. Anthony Allen - RB - B
A inoffensive special teams contributor for two years who didn't see much of the field on offense and didn't contribute much when he did. Cut before the 2013 season, he's the only player from this draft out of football. We ended up needing to rejigger the roster midway through the season to improve special teams, and I'm surprised he wasn't resigned. Maybe he was worse than I remembered, but two full years of special teams snaps seems acceptable from a 7th round guy.

Overall, not as bad as I'd feared. Jimmy Smith, Brown, and McPhee are guys who probably need to another year to cement their grade. The CBs are trending up, McPhee is trending down. The top two picks are likely staying longterm, and a couple other guys will have second contracts somewhere. Everybody has at least seen the field and made visible contributions.

B+

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

I will regard the Raider question as solved only after the very last W has left their record. After the very last fan has left the continent.

Captain Tolerable posted:

Oakland Raiders

1: Nothing (Nothing) - Nothing was drafted, was able to contribute much more than some more recent #1 Draft Picks the Raiders have had. A+++++.

2: Stefen Wisniewski (C) - Considering how much the Raiders needed an O-Line, a problem that hasn't been solved since, this was a good start to fixing it. Replacing noted poo poo player Samson Satele, he was an overall upgrade from him despite dealing with some knee injury issues at the beginning of this season. B.

3: DeMarcus Van Dyke (CB) - A member of our atrocious pass defense that ranked 27th in the league and 31st in passing touchdowns given up. While there were other players involved in that, Van Dyke nonetheless contributed to being awful. Was released the next season. F.

3b: Joseph Barksdale (OT) - Don't even remember who this guy is. Didn't crack starting O-Line while here, released the next season. F.

4: Chimdi Chekwa (CB) - I guess this guy projected well but never did anything with it. Is still with the team but has not had an interception yet. D-.

4b: Taiwan Jones (RB) - Drafted as an RB to back up Darren McFadden, where he proceeded to do a poor job of it. Converted from a Running Back to a Corner which is typically a death knell for making the roster but likely made it to the 53 man roster because we're bad. Did absolutely nothing of note this season at that position. D.

5: Denarius Moore (WR) - Showed really well in the preseason and training camp and went on to become one of Carson Palmer's top options. Had some crazy games his rookie season, even winning Rookie of the Week twice but became spotty with his ability to catch passes. Nonetheless probably the second best choice of the draft. B-.

6: Richard Gordon (TE) - Didn't do anything with the Raiders, ended up on the Chiefs. Alongside DeMarcus Van Dyke he is the other Raiders player from this draft to end up there. F.

7: David Ausberry (WR) - Converted to Tight End and became a project, shows flashes of being a good player but he's typically a Special Teams player and backup. Considering his draft position it was a good choice considering he's still hanging around and semi-relevant. C+.

Overall: D

This was not a fun draft. Despite getting a good O-Lineman to help fix that perpetual issue and a Receiver that has catching problems every other player is gone or flat out bad. Denarius Moore might rebound back to being his former self from the Rookie season but given our luck, I doubt it. Wisniewski will likely be relevant on the O-Line for years to come however. Hopefully Taiwan Jones is loving gone after this season.

Was this first rounder Carson or Seymour? I get all the 1st round pick trades mixed up. I remember Barksdale, and basically Khalif Barnes never sweat his starting position at RT, so yeah F. I'm with you on everything else, but Taiwan almost made the Pro Bowl as a special teams gunner, and is impressing everyone with his work ethic at CB. He's totally worth the roster spot right now. I'd bump him up to a C+. I'd lower Ausberry to a D because he hasn't stayed healthy, but he could be our starting TE next season. He was supposed to be this season before going on IR almost immediately.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Taiwan Jones is a really good gunner.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

Hell, I'll give this a try

Denver Broncos

1st: Von Miller OLB

An absolute monster on the field. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer off the field. Hopefully he can bounce back from his ACL A

2nd: Rahim Moore S

Known best for undercutting Jacoby Jones and badly whiffing in the '13 AFC Divisional Round against the Ravens. Slow to come up to speed in the NFL but had a great '12 and '13 season (except for the previously mentioned play and when he got injured this year with lateral compartment syndrome in his leg ) B-

2nd: Orlando Franklin T

A solid, capable starter whose managed to keep Manning awfully clean the past couple of years. A-

3rd: Nate Irving MLB

Second stringer whose had to fill in for the likes of Miller, Woodyard, and others due to injuries. Has been quite capable and hasn't hosed up too badly when forced to step up and make plays. B

4th: Quinton Carter S

Started next to Brian Dawkins ahead of Moore his rookie year. Injuries early in the season ended his '12 and '13 years, however. C

4th: Julius Thomas TE

Denver went out and found a TE like Jimmy Graham. A basketball player at Portland State all 4 years, he only played football his senior year. Denver saw enough in him to give him a try and he's been an absolute steal. A huge, quick TE who can block and catch is awesome. It's even better when he's 6'5" and has super soft hands. A

6th:: Mike Mohamed LB

A practice squad guy who never made the team. Was also a practice squad guy for Jacksonville and Houston. INC

7th: Virgil Green TE

A solid TE for Denver. Manning has made him look great, but Manning does that with everybody. Not as big or strong as Thomas but an adequate TE and a great 7th round pick. A

7th: Jeremy Beal DE

Never made the team. INC

Overall: A+ would draft again. Two whiffs in late rounds, 4 starters, 2 solid backups and an injury prone safety? Yeah, I'll take it.

Captain Tolerable
Sep 29, 2010

JUST WIN BABY

Volkerball posted:

Was this first rounder Carson or Seymour? I get all the 1st round pick trades mixed up. I remember Barksdale, and basically Khalif Barnes never sweat his starting position at RT, so yeah F. I'm with you on everything else, but Taiwan almost made the Pro Bowl as a special teams gunner, and is impressing everyone with his work ethic at CB. He's totally worth the roster spot right now. I'd bump him up to a C+. I'd lower Ausberry to a D because he hasn't stayed healthy, but he could be our starting TE next season. He was supposed to be this season before going on IR almost immediately.

That first rounder was Richard Seymour.

I had no idea about Taiwan Jones, but with that knowledge then yeah at least he found his place. I guess I just have his terrible Running Back play fresh in my mind.

Quest For Glory II
Dec 17, 2003

Benne posted:

Is there anything salvageable out of this draft? I recognize maybe two names, and that's only because of Eagles fans complaining how terrible they are.
Kelce has been decent. That's it.

And I mean.. to get a center that's ranked #1 among centers by PFF in the 6th round.. that's pretty awesome. But that's a loving horrible horrible draft all around.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

Where the hell was Julius Thomas before this season?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To all my critics, you get paid to be negative.

Patriots

1-17 Nate Solder A- Quite good left tackle. Gives up a few sacks, but very few pressures beyond them, and is an excellent run blocker. Pretty much exactly what you're hoping for when you're drafting a 1st round tackle.

2-33 Ras-I Dowling F Unable to stay healthy, like comically so. Already gone, think an (un)healthy scratch for the Jets all year.

2-56 Shane Vereen C+ Your typical 3rd down back. Isn't an able returner, only plays like a quarter of the snaps. Had almost 50 receptions this year out of necessity in 10 games, not terribly explosive. A perfectly reasonable player that just isn't producing what you want from a 2nd round pick.

3-73 Stevan Ridley B+ A perfectly acceptable head of a platoon running back. Averages 4.5 a carry, contributes nothing in the return game or as a receiver, has contributed solidly, but has fumbled 9 times.

3-74 Ryan Mallet C A backup quarterback. Comically considered trade bait to foolish GM's, probably does meth. Probably can't beat Tom Brady in a footrace.

5-138 Marcus Cannon A A capable starter in the 5th round? Sweet. Filled in for Sebastian Vollmer for over half the year due to injury. A bit leadfooted, and gives up a few sacks, but is a mauler in the run game.

5-159 Lee Smith D Never did anything for us, but plays about half of Buffalo's snaps as a blocking TE.

6-194 Markell Carter F
7-219 Malcolm Williams F Neither could hang and contribute even on special teams.

So all in all a decently average draft, probably a C+ kind of draft. Would've been better if they had gone after a receiver instead of Vereen (Torrey Smith, Greg Little and Randall Cobb all drafted shortly after), but at the time, wasn't much of a need. Also made a bunch of trades, notably losing out on Cameron Jordan to the Saints to draft Ras-I Dowling and a pick in the 2012 draft they used to trade up to get Chandler Jones

Kalli fucked around with this message at Jan 26, 2014 around 04:32

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

I will regard the Raider question as solved only after the very last W has left their record. After the very last fan has left the continent.

Captain Tolerable posted:

That first rounder was Richard Seymour.

I had no idea about Taiwan Jones, but with that knowledge then yeah at least he found his place. I guess I just have his terrible Running Back play fresh in my mind.

He's just not built for it, which sucks because his highlight reel at whatever the gently caress mini-college he was at was like a video game. Let's take a guy with a 4.3 40 and put him in at RB in D2.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where the hell was Julius Thomas before this season?

Had to teach the man football! Stat sites show that he played 4 games in both '11 and '12 so I'll bet he was deep on the depth charts for those seasons while he figured out how to play.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

all the pretty whoreses

Not bad at all, Denver. Especially makes you appreciate competence when it seems like other teams blindfolded each other and threw darts at a board full of names.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

Kind of crazy but two starters seems about league average.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hurney's last draft was the work of a man who thought he had a lot of time left on the job. Sua and McClain were both undersized UT projects, Hogan was never even going to play in 2011, and Cam was the biggest gamble in team history.

Also gotta throw in that longshot developmental short WR so lazy writers can make steve smith comparisons.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

Odd choice since the Panthers had Steve Smith.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Giants

1. Prince Amukamara - A really good pick after starting slow due to injuries.
2. Marvin Austin - Super bust. God loving damnit.
3. Jerrel Jernigan - Stating to come on this year, decent slot guy.
4. James Brewer - generic backup OL
6. Greg Jones - cut
6. Tyler Sash - generic backup S
6. Jacquian Williams - solid reserve LB
7. Da'Rel Scott - a fast RB who can't stop fumbling

It's not terrible, but man Austin was loving bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If you even dream of covering me you'd better wake up and apologize

CaptainYesterday posted:

42. DE Brooks Reed - B-
144. S Shiloh Keo - B-
152. QB T.J. Yates - B-
214. OT Derek Newton - C

Traded up for Harris who has done nearly nothing, I am less forgiving. D-

Reed is more of a C to me, Newton is a B considering where he was taken

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Kim Jong Il posted:

Giants

1. Prince Amukamara - A really good pick after starting slow due to injuries.
2. Marvin Austin - Super bust. God loving damnit.
3. Jerrel Jernigan - Stating to come on this year, decent slot guy.
4. James Brewer - generic backup OL
6. Greg Jones - cut
6. Tyler Sash - generic backup S
6. Jacquian Williams - solid reserve LB
7. Da'Rel Scott - a fast RB who can't stop fumbling

It's not terrible, but man Austin was loving bad.

They drafted Austin with a recommendation from Nicks.

Kirios
Jan 25, 2010

Few Head Coaches have ever granted the Fifth Freedom. It's the right to defend our team, by attacking it. To safeguard our wins, by losing them. To save seasons, by tanking them. To do whatever it takes to protect our team. The Fifth Freedom is mine alone. I am Case Keenum. I am a Splinter-back.

1st round - J.J. Watt A+++++++++++++++++++

2nd - 7th round - Who cares

2011 Draft Overall - A+

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

1.7: Aldon Smith, DE/OLB Missouri. loving awesome when he's not driving drunk. Hopefully that won't be a problem going forward, he's been very-low key since coming back. A+
2.36: Colin Kaepernick, QB Nevada. Maybe you've heard of this guy. Is he really a franchise QB? Hard to say yet, but the team has already made two deep playoff runs with him at the helm and he arguably hasn't hit his ceiling yet. Hard to complain with those results out of a second-round QB. A
3.80: Chris Culliver, CB/S South Carolina. Was quietly an extremely effective corner for most of the 2012 regular season, for now only widely known for falling apart in the playoffs and saying some extremely stupid poo poo on the radio. Hurt all of last year, should be ready to go by camp. B+
4.115: Kendall Hunter, RB Oklahoma State. Pretty good change of pace back for spelling Gore, good receiving threat out of the backfield and stout as hell in pass protection for a guy his size. Also contributes on special teams. B+
5.163: Daniel Kilgore, OG Appalachian State. Backup interior OL for now, sees occasional playing time as an extra blocker in jumbo packages. Probably the frontrunner to take over Jonathan Goodwin's job at C next season. B for now, could change a lot based on next year.
6.182: Ronald Johnson, WR USC: Probably should have taken Doug Baldwin here, Trent. Hurt all the time, never saw the field and I don't even think he made it out of the first training camp. It's a sixth rounder so that can happen, but still. D
6.190: Colin Jones, S TCU: Backup/special teamer for a couple years, traded to Carolina last offseason. C+ I guess?
7.211: Bruce Miller, DE Central Florida: Converted to fullback in training camp, loving rules at that. Excellent lead blocker for Gore, good dumpoff option in the passing game and makes a lot of the read-option plays work for Gore and Kap. Huge contributor for a seventh round pick. A+
7.239: Mike Person, OL Montana State: Bounced between the practice squad and waivers a bunch, I think he's on Seattle now because of course he is. He at least spent some time on the actual roster, even if he was never active, which is something of an achievement for a pick very near to the end I guess. C-
7.250: Curtis Holcomb, CB Florida A&M: Actually made it through camp unlike Johnson, but Holcomb was another guy who was never able to come back from injury problems. Got released during last year's cuts iirc. D

Overall: Not quite as pants-on-head ridiculous as that 2007 draft (), but four starters with a starting QB among them and some quality depth at the edges is pretty great. All of the first five picks and six of the first eight are still on the team and contributing, with Kilgore possibly taking on a great deal more responsibility in the near future. Solid A all around I'd say.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

We will fight them to the last. And we will defend those that cannot defend themselves. Today we fight, brothers and sisters. Today we stand up and never, ever relent. Brothers and sisters -- prepare yourselves. Today we go to WAR!

superaielman posted:

Derek Sherrod- F. Broke both of the bones in his lower leg in a gruesome injury against Kansas City in 2011, just started to get practice snaps late last season. He had to undergo surgery in 2012 to stabilize his lower leg IIRC. I doubt he'll ever really recover, which is just terrible luck.

Randall Cobb- A+. Freakishly good after the catch, excellent on special teams and a really all around fantastic weapon. Shame about his leg injury this year.

Alex Green- F. Tore his ACL in October of his rookie year, did absolutely nothing afterward. Was a benchwarmer for the Jets this year after being cut by the PAckers.

Davon House- D+. Okay special teams guy and sometimes fill in corner. He really struggled late this year- so much so that he got benched for Jarrett Bush on dime snaps. Yeah.

DJ Williams-F. Did absolutely nothing of note. Never really developed as a pass catcher or blocker, got cut this year.

Caleb Schlauderaff- F. Traded to the Jets for nothing his rookie year.

DJ Smith- D+. Got decent value out of him his rookie year, then Smith shredded his knee his second year. No longer a Packer.

Ricky Elmore- F. Didn't even get offered a practice squad spot after he was cut his rookie year. Total waste of a pick.\

Ryan Taylor- B+. Good special teams player, not very good on offnese. Still worth the grade because he's been a ST mainstay.

Notable UDFAs: Brandon Saine, Brandian Ross (sorry Raiders fans), MD Jennings, Jamari Lattimore. Ross and Jennings are awful, Saine was okay and then blew his knee out, Lattimore has flashed some as an ILB but has been inconsistent.

Overall grade: D. Worst TT trade ever, most likely. He only got one starter out of the mix. Wondering why the Packers team has holes? Look at the '11 and '12 drafts, they are both ugly. E: I should be fair, the jury's still out on Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy, but ugh.

I had almost forgotten how bad that draft was, and how much worse it would have been if TT hadn't struck gold with Cobb. Jesus christ.

Cruel and Unusual
Feb 19, 2013

Detroit Lions

Round 1:

Nick Fairley

Immensely talented, also inconsistent. Secretly the dirtiest player on the Lions' defensive line. Still, a good player.

Round 2:

Titus Young

Taken before Randall Cobb, out of football.

Mikel Leshoure

Tore Achilles in training camp his rookie year, led the Lions' awful rushing attack last year, benched this season.

Round 5:

Doug Hogue

Never developed into anything, now playing for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Round 7:

Johnny Culbreath

Not even a Wikipedia article. Cut from the team last year for smoking weed.

Yowza, this was a terrible draft. D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Seattle also picked up Doug Baldwin as a UDFA that year, Benne. I wouldn't disagree with your overall grade, though. Spending a 1st and a 3rd on it and still failing to improve the offensive line is a real black mark.

«5 »