Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Anatharon
Aug 6, 2010

One of my friend's greataunt is dying of what is likely cancer. She's upset (for obvious reasons) but isn't able to visit her, as she lives on a different continent. One of my own relatives got checked into the hospital recently so I'm not quite at my best either. I want to offer advice, but I don't really know what to actually do to that end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassaShowtime
Aug 16, 2012

Saviour, thy name is Knuckle

Have your friend visit your relative and everybody wins!

Chubba
May 30, 2011

Death is one of those inevitable things that we all get to deal with over and over. I've found that the only thing you can really do, especially when the relative is distant (geographically or otherwise) is tell your friend that you're there if she wants to talk. Then be there.

keroppl
Jan 4, 2013

Don't offer if you're not asked.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Cure cancer OP.

WYA
Jan 4, 2012

Bone done on the great aunt

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Have your friends greataunt move to another continent (for different medical advise) and report back here.

The Endbringer
Dec 21, 2012

The flesh is a casket for the soul.

Remember that the flesh is a casket for the soul.

Romes
Jun 18, 2003

Anatharon posted:

One of my friend's greataunt is dying of what is likely cancer. She's upset (for obvious reasons) but isn't able to visit her, as she lives on a different continent. One of my own relatives got checked into the hospital recently so I'm not quite at my best either. I want to offer advice, but I don't really know what to actually do to that end.

Tell her that you're there for her if she needs anything from talking to ideas. If she doesn't ask, don't try to pry. If she does, offer whatever advice you have to give (such as setting up some kind of skype session so she can see her and possibly talk to her one last time).

Just be there for by being there for her, if she needs you.

Yellow Jackson
Jan 13, 2013

by Ralp

Anatharon posted:

Get a nice notebook, like something bound in leather and maybe even decorated with gold or silver thread or something. Pick out a selection of poems you think she'd like and copy them, by hand, making sure to use really good lettering or even calligraphy and making it look really nice. Present the book to her as a gift. It won't cure the aunts cancer, but it's such a thoughtful and high effort gift she'll just go crazy.

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

How close can she possibly be to her great-aunt who lives on another continent? Have they ever even met? Your friend is probably upset at having to face her own eventual mortality, which isn't unique (or threadworthy, tbh). Just give your friend a hug, commiserate if she wants to talk about it, and take her out for a beer or something to get her mind off things. She'll be fine.

Anatharon
Aug 6, 2010

martyrdumb posted:

How close can she possibly be to her great-aunt who lives on another continent? Have they ever even met? Your friend is probably upset at having to face her own eventual mortality, which isn't unique (or threadworthy, tbh). Just give your friend a hug, commiserate if she wants to talk about it, and take her out for a beer or something to get her mind off things. She'll be fine.

Well uh, she didn't live on a different continent for her entire life.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Red Star Baldgreg

What you should do is taking flying lessons then buy an airplane so you can fly her over to see the person who's dying. Duh.

Minimalist Program
Aug 13, 2010

When February comes, sister will get that extra love she needs - if you know what I mean...

Get a nice notebook, like something bound in leather and maybe even decorated with gold or silver thread or something. Pick out a selection of old timey racial slurs you think she'd like and copy them, by hand, making sure to use really good lettering or even calligraphy and making it look really nice. Present the book to her as a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 13, 2010

When February comes, sister will get that extra love she needs - if you know what I mean...

Get a nice notebook, like something bound in leather and maybe even decorated with gold or silver thread or something. Pick out a selection of strange facts about your genitals you think she'd like and copy them, by hand, making sure to use really good lettering or even calligraphy and making it look really nice. Present the book to her as a gift.