Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Witch Craft Works is an anime adaption of a manga being animated by J.C. Staff. It's being directed by Mizushima Tsutomu, the director of xxxHOLiC, Hare Guu, Another, Girls und Panzer, etc. The manga by Mizunagi Ryuu started in 2011 and has released six volumes so far, and has some really neat artwork at times.

Story:

Wikipedia posted:

Takamiya Honoka is an average student with no real talents or special abilities. In class, he sits next to Kagari Ayaka, the "Princess" of the school. The two never talk to each other and any interaction with her results in him being attacked by her fan club. However, when Takamiya's life is in danger, Kagari arrives to his rescue dressed as a witch. It is revealed that Kagari is what is known as a Workshop Witch within the city and Takamiya is under her protection. Because of this close call, Kagari is now free to openly protect Takamiya from whatever or whomever tries to endanger him.

Staff:
Director: Mizushima Tsutomu (xxxHOLiC, Hare Guu)
Series Composition: Mizushima Tsutomu
Music: Some group called "Technoboys Pulcraft Green-Fund", the ED is pretty catchy.
Animation Studio: J.C. Staff

Cast:

Takamiya Honoka (VA: Kobayashi Yuusuke, this appears to be his first major role)
Just your average guy being hunted by the supernatural. Takes the proactive step of becoming Ayaka's apprentice.

Kagari Ayaka (VA: Seto Asami, she was Lan in Rinne no Lagrange and Ayase Chihaya in Chihayafuru)
A powerful and taciturn Workshop Witch who uses fire magic. Has a bunch of fangirls who follow her around at school.

http://i.imgur.com/PQo0NxA.jpg
Chronowaalschwarz Six (VA: Kugimiya Rie)
A Tower Witch, her powers have a fish-motif and she claims to have been alive since the Crusades. Has a crocodile man in a suit as a familiar.

Kagari Kazane (VA: Oohara Sayaka)
Ayaka's mother, headmaster of the school and is in charge of the local workshop witches.

http://i.imgur.com/TnpR60bl.jpg
Takamiya Kasumi (VA: Kayano Ai)
Honoka's sister, apparently also a witch and also a mean person.

The Tower Witches
Left to right: Menowa Mei, Katsura Kotetsu, Kuraishi Tanpopo, Kazari Rin, and Cake Hat Utsugi Kanna. Want Takamiya for nefarious reasons but generally are about as successful as Team Rocket.

Why should I watch/read this?
It's pretty stylish, the plot seems to be going somewhere, the humor is decent, and from a quick skim of the manga chapters already covered, it's a faithful adaption so far.

Where can I watch this?
Witch Craft Works has been licensed by Crunchyroll, and is simulcast on Wednesdays at 11AM Pacific time. The manga was also licensed by Vertical earlier in the month, but there aren't any announced release dates yet.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I like the little happy fire critters she has.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
So I'm up to speed with the manga, and judging from the pacing of the anime, the anime will probably end after Weekend's arc. Also ED of the season?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is the ED to take over from Machine Doll of last season, indeed.

Overall, so far WCW has been plenty stupid but sufficiently entertaining, and I can't see it going further downhill from here. Really, the evil witch quintet is carrying the show as it is now.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I couldn't really get into the manga but i'll probably end up watching the whole season, it's managing to be completely ridiculous but not stupid enough to put me off, in spite of ticking the box for nearly every anime trope. The art and production is really good, though that isn't enough to redeem junk on its own, and it's also got just about the only ED i'd watch every week.

Excellent choice of thread icon by the way. :golfclap:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

An important thing to note is that this series is fundamentally a comedy where most of the humor stems from every character being an idiot, especially Ayaka and the quintet, and all of it is played completely straight with nobody paying any particular attention to it. As for the show itself, I think they've done about the best that can be expected for transitioning the detail and fanciness of the manga into animation, and everything else is faithful to the original material so far.

The thread icon choice is also highly correct.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I'd probably spoilertag Takamiya's sister and Chronowaalschwarz Six to be honest, they're both from the most recent episode and while its not a huge spoiler, it would still probably be nice to new watchers.

Really enjoying the series, so far, although theres still a lot of questions, like whether a witch is a learned attribute or is something more inherited. My guesses were going for learned but then it turns out that his sister is a witch, so it might be hereditary and the sister just took on the work that he would have otherwise gotten

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Conot posted:

Really enjoying the series, so far, although theres still a lot of questions, like whether a witch is a learned attribute or is something more inherited. My guesses were going for learned but then it turns out that his sister is a witch, so it might be hereditary and the sister just took on the work that he would have otherwise gotten

If you paid careful attention, in episode 2, the sister actually trails the two when they are on a date. A subtle foreshadowing, and a shrewed viewer would have noticed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If the breakfasts are in, I'm sold on this adaptation.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

ArcadePark posted:

If you paid careful attention, in episode 2, the sister actually trails the two when they are on a date. A subtle foreshadowing, and a shrewed viewer would have noticed

His sister is literally Solid Snake.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A while back I ended up reading the manga after someone posted a panel in the "Convince someone..." thread. It's still kind of ho-hum but for what it is I suppose it's OK. Nice artwork and a rather peculiar sense of humor.

Anyway for this anime every time I tell myself I'm not going to watch the ED, because it's honestly sort of annoying, and I end up watching it anyway.

RagnarIV
Jul 23, 2013

Man in Pink Armor
But the ED is the best part.
I like the manga quite a bit and I really enjoy the anime adaptation a lot so far, too. The manga has a fairly unique aesthetic in the art style that they've done a very good job of carrying over and preserving in the anime. So far it seems to be staying pretty close to the original but with some original content, like the "Star Team", which I don't remember from the manga.

Speaking of the ED, "Witch Activity", the CD single is being released on the 5th. The cover looks like this:

Witch Kraftwerks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I always did like the non-sequiturs in this. I mean, why can't you bring a llama into a cafe that allows dogs? Makes sense to me!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RagnarIV posted:

Speaking of the ED, "Witch Activity", the CD single is being released on the 5th. The cover looks like this:

Witch Kraftwerks.

That's incredible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think it has anything to do with magic, but every single lady in that city is completely nuts. For example, the llama thing. They weren't using llama magic, the llama wasn't a familiar, etc. They just dragged around their pet llama because they wanted to.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

That's incredible.

Is there a reference that I'm missing?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Probably this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Having seen a few more episodes of this now, my fears that it wouldn't transition well from the manga have been put to rest. The level of detail in some of the spreads hasn't quite made it, but they compensate by other little charming touches like the fish swimming across the the seats in the Chronoir bus. The reverse shoujo nature of the series while the protagonist is trying really hard not to be that is also captured really well.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 3, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Another reason to watch the ED every time: the new characters get added to it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RagnarIV posted:

Witch Kraftwerks.
I know we all like to rag on the anime industry for being formulaic and uninspired, but honestly sometimes it can be utterly brilliant.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

chumbler posted:

Having seen a few more episodes of this now, my fears that it wouldn't transition well from the manga have been put to rest. The level of detail in some of the spreads hasn't quite made it, but they compensate by other little charming touches like the fish swimming across the the seats in the Chronoir bus. The reverse shoujo nature of the series while the protagonist is trying really hard not to be that is also captured really well.

To be honest, I was disappointed by episode 1, but further episodes have done much better with animation. I especially like the Giant Bunny vs Giant Teddyfight and the Medusafight.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

RagnarIV posted:

But the ED is the best part.
I like the manga quite a bit and I really enjoy the anime adaptation a lot so far, too. The manga has a fairly unique aesthetic in the art style that they've done a very good job of carrying over and preserving in the anime. So far it seems to be staying pretty close to the original but with some original content, like the "Star Team", which I don't remember from the manga.

The Star Llama Team was in the manga - http://mangafox.me/manga/witchcraft_works/v01/c004/21.html

EDIT: Someone on /a/ compiled all the instances of "sister stalking Honoka and Kagari during their date" in the manga.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 4, 2014

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Oh Snapalope posted:

His sister is literally Solid Snake.

I was waiting for the reveal in the episode when I saw the box. Now I gotta watch that episode all over again.

I dunno why I really like this show but I went through four episodes in one sitting. One thing I find really funny is how the Tower Witches are ineffective arrogant blowhards while the Workshop Witches are competent and extremely powerful.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Also the full ED is out. Hello new ringtone!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kazakirinyancat posted:

I was waiting for the reveal in the episode when I saw the box. Now I gotta watch that episode all over again.

I dunno why I really like this show but I went through four episodes in one sitting. One thing I find really funny is how the Tower Witches are ineffective arrogant blowhards while the Workshop Witches are competent and extremely powerful.

Hey Chronoire and her gator buddy are at least reasonably competent, just with phenomenally bad luck.

After episode 5, I'm really happy with the animation in the show. The cg still sticks out a little much, but not distractingly slow, and to some extent it looking off with respect to the rest of the show kind of makes it feel a little more magical I guess? The Medusa fight was cool as well, though I don't think the voice actress they picked for her fits at all.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

chumbler posted:

Hey Chronoire and her gator buddy are at least reasonably competent, just with phenomenally bad luck.

After episode 5, I'm really happy with the animation in the show. The cg still sticks out a little much, but not distractingly slow, and to some extent it looking off with respect to the rest of the show kind of makes it feel a little more magical I guess? The Medusa fight was cool as well, though I don't think the voice actress they picked for her fits at all.

Ya Medusa's voice felt a bit soft....I wonder who they picked for Weekend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm rather disappointed in Medusa's voice, actually. She always looked like she was having the goddamn time of her life at any given moment, but her voice is so flat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Oh Snapalope posted:

Ya Medusa's voice felt a bit soft....I wonder who they picked for Weekend.

According to ANN, Aya Hirano.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that is....definitely not how I imagined Medusa sounding.

RagnarIV
Jul 23, 2013

Man in Pink Armor

JosephWongKS posted:

The Star Llama Team was in the manga - http://mangafox.me/manga/witchcraft_works/v01/c004/21.html

EDIT: Someone on /a/ compiled all the instances of "sister stalking Honoka and Kagari during their date" in the manga.

Whoops. I've been meaning to re-read it all lately, this seems like a good excuse. I never noticed the sister stalking them either, but that is amazing. I hope Vertical comes out with some physical copies soon.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

According to ANN, Aya Hirano.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15708

Says here that Medusa was voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.

Aya Hirano is the VA for a character named Weekend.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Err...Sawashiro should have used her deeper menacing voice. This show is great, it has Noto Mamiko and Sawashiro voicing side characters!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the main story well enough, but I can't shake off the feeling that the story would be even more fun if Tanpopo-chan and her friends were the POV characters and we followed them around on their plotting sessions and karaoke outings.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

I can't say I love the plot since it's basically the same thing, I like how the anime puts in the extra details.

Like how the science teacher tries to steal away the Heroine

That's right. Honoka is our Heroine, and I would dare people to prove otherwise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Honoka is not only the heroine, he is the heroine of a shoujo manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kazakirinyancat posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15708

Says here that Medusa was voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.

Aya Hirano is the VA for a character named Weekend.
Which is why that was a reply to someone wondering who was going to voice Weekend.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The latest episode blended the CG stuff with the regular animation really well once again. I'm still really impressed with how good of a job they've done capturing the style of the manga, and the humor and absurdity come across really well. I wish more people would watch/read this series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, this is a good adaptation of a good manga. I've forgotten most of the plot so lap pillow and q-tip explosion had me in stitches.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

This episode was bit more....... revealing than the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

I wish more people would watch/read this series.

Do people really need more than 8 years worth of J.C. Staff shows to figure out if they're going to like a J.C. Staff show without watching it?

• Locked thread