Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
The little dudes are hilarious pests. Nice addition.

The cooking expansion is a cool system, but I have trouble remembering what buffs come from which foods with all the new options. I would actually like to see something like a "cookbook" section of the crafting menu that populates as you cook (or taste) items so we can look up the effects, or at least a hint in the item description that describes the effects (doesn't need to be in "gamey" terms, just something general like "increases energy regeneration"). Moving from the crafting menu to the "ingredient+additive" interface from the smelters also seems to have removed the ability to cook on the go with the portable grill or tech stove, or at least I didn't find a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

The cooking expansion is a cool system, but I have trouble remembering what buffs come from which foods with all the new options. I would actually like to see something like a "cookbook" section of the crafting menu that populates as you cook (or taste) items so we can look up the effects, or at least a hint in the item description that describes the effects (doesn't need to be in "gamey" terms, just something general like "increases energy regeneration").
Yeah that makes sense, I'll give it some thought.

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Moving from the crafting menu to the "ingredient+additive" interface from the smelters also seems to have removed the ability to cook on the go with the portable grill or tech stove, or at least I didn't find a way.
We pulled the recipes for those because we were worried people might get confused if there were 2 ways to cook stuff, but we might go back and make it so the basic stuff (cooked meat, etc) can be done with just a "heat source" like the grill.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Lucid Dream posted:

We pulled the recipes for those because we were worried people might get confused if there were 2 ways to cook stuff, but we might go back and make it so the basic stuff (cooked meat, etc) can be done with just a "heat source" like the grill.

:what: why would people get confused if there was more than 1 way to craft something? Hell, I spend most of my time these days playing modded minecraft and I'm surprised if I don't find myself having half a dozen ways to cook something. Heh.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

How do I rekindle a campfire that has burned down? Putting sticks or coal into it doesn't seem to work and using the firestarter on it led to myself being on fire

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tin Tim posted:

How do I rekindle a campfire that has burned down? Putting sticks or coal into it doesn't seem to work and using the firestarter on it led to myself being on fire

If you're using it as a "heat source" for a recipe, you should be able to drop logs or sticks on the campfire in world (it will siphon off as many as it can hold) and then you can re-light it. If you're processing materials with the right click popup then you just use the popup. I know its kinda awkward/unintuitive now, I'm probably going to remove all the "heat source" recipes and make it so they all work by being processed in the menu.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah it's a little clunky that way but it worked. Not gonna lie, I've played terraria before so some expectations towards mechanics are shaped by that. No offense, just so that you can understand where I'm coming from. I mainly didn't expect the fire to burn down at all since that kinda goes into the needless busywork side of these type of games but it's no biggie.

Btw, after constantly dying to goats, pigs, purple flying thingies and little plant men, I finally got my poo poo together in my underground hovel and made my first set of proper gear.

gently caress yeah I'm gonna walk all over these critters and get their hides and meat chunks

Uhm what is that?

Oh poo poo it's coming over here

Nononono

Well this is awkward

Almost died twice on the way back to the pod already and then I had this staring contest. Luckily the right one hosed off eventually and then I killed the other while it was stuck on the pod. Of course it wasn't alone but just as I was about to die again the ghosts disappeared so I guess it turned to day? Anyway good stuff dude

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tin Tim posted:

Well this is awkward
lol, nice.

Tin Tim posted:

Not gonna lie, I've played terraria before so some expectations towards mechanics are shaped by that. No offense, just so that you can understand where I'm coming from.
Yeah I totally get that, its a tricky thing because we wanted to improve on many of the issues we had with Terraria, but ultimately where we diverge, we usually end up just adding back in the familiar mechanics as an option anyway. For example - I thought managing the hotbar was annoying in Terraria, so we came up with the auto-filling scrollable slots... but a lot of folks preferred the Terraria-like system so we added that as an option.

Along those lines, we're going to be adding a grid based inventory option in the next update:

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 3, 2017

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah I totally get that, its a tricky thing because we wanted to improve on many of the issues we had with Terraria, but ultimately where we diverge, we usually end up just adding back in the familiar mechanics as an option anyway. For example - I thought managing the hotbar was annoying in Terraria, so we came up with the auto-filling scrollable slots... but a lot of folks preferred the Terraria-like system so we added that as an option.
Yeah I appreciate having options in that regard. I struggled a little to develop a control flow for me early on but now I'm good. I'm fine with your style of hotbar btw. I customized the other one for combat but I hardly need it. Though, one thing I would like to have would be dodge jumping by double tapping my movement keys left or right. No idea how feasible this would be to make but it's just a thought. Oh, and here's a possible bug report. I was able to discover several recipes through my crafting menu by right-clicking on ingredients I hadn't seen before. Not sure if that is intended?

Anyway I feel a little stumped in my progression right now. I found the mining outpost and did the quest thingy there which made me a space wizzard but I'm not sure what to do next. I mean I would need to make steel now but I haven't found any of the stuff I need for it during my spelunking. I guess I have to dig even deeper?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I came here to look at the gifs but none of them work

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tin Tim posted:

Anyway I feel a little stumped in my progression right now. I found the mining outpost and did the quest thingy there which made me a space wizzard but I'm not sure what to do next. I mean I would need to make steel now but I haven't found any of the stuff I need for it during my spelunking. I guess I have to dig even deeper?

Yeah, for steel you need anthracite which is pretty far underground. You should start to see it around the depth that you start seeing marble blocks.

GlyphGryph posted:

I came here to look at the gifs but none of them work

Well poo poo! Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix 'em.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 4, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Don't know if you did anything or the host was down when I checked before, but I can see them all again now! (or at least the ones in the OP)

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't know if you did anything or the host was down when I checked before, but I can see them all again now! (or at least the ones in the OP)

Yeah, I re-hosted them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah, for steel you need anthracite which is pretty far underground. You should start to see it around the depth that you start seeing marble blocks.
Gotcha. Started to work on a hellevator and eventually I found some. I'm not sure how cool you are with spoiling things but I've found a bunch of odds and ends that I haven't quite figured out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Tin Tim posted:

I'm not sure how cool you are with spoiling things but I've found a bunch of odds and ends that I haven't quite figured out yet

No prob, let me know what you're having trouble with and I'll help you out.

• Locked thread