Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Schwack posted:

Where the heck is the level two keycard dealy? I've enjoyed most of my time playing this game, but the 'story' could really use some tuning up. I spent most of my time mining with the wrist laser because I didn't even think to climb around the bases with dirt and break in until much later.

The log near the dead body in the Pioneer Station (top left hand room) gives a good tip; that it's near-by. Look along the floor tiles in that same room, you should see two that are different. (The top left-most, below the chair I believe) Break them and drop down, read the logs and pick up the boxing glove. The log you picked up/read said that it's buried about ~60 blocks left from the Pioneer station, and that when you get close enough you'll see it on your map. So, go about 60 blocks left (it's the first small 'cave' you can go down into, on the right from the watch tower thing). Then, turn on your map tool (m) and just start digging downwards. It's pretty loving deep. Let me know if you need more help or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Schwack posted:

Where the heck is the level two keycard dealy? I've enjoyed most of my time playing this game, but the 'story' could really use some tuning up. I spent most of my time mining with the wrist laser because I didn't even think to climb around the bases with dirt and break in until much later.

Yeah, the static content needs work, we're heavily redesigning the pioneer station and stuff to be a lot less confusing and arbitrary but it'll take us a bit before all the pieces are in place.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Whaaaaaaaaat? I broke into that room but didnt find any boxing glove. Im beginning to wonder if my first world isn't a little wonky. I restarted, to see if I missed something, and noticed that this time there were several bombs and other useful things in the mining base that definitely weren't there on my first play through.

Thanks for the heads up, I kept seeing the cryptic posts on the steam forums and spent way too long combing through Pioneer Station. Definitely didn't find anything that indicated distance, oh well, still a fun game.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Schwack posted:

Im beginning to wonder if my first world isn't a little wonky. I restarted, to see if I missed something, and noticed that this time there were several bombs and other useful things in the mining base that definitely weren't there on my first play through.

Its possible, I've had some occasional reports of items disappearing for people but its a strange bug because I've never personally experienced it, so its being super tough to debug. I know if the game crashes during world generation for some reason (happened occasionally during development) you'll get some messed up things like fruits floating in the air where bushes should be and such.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I remember when Half Life 2 was an rear end in a top hat simulator because you could huck objects at npcs.

This game feels like a 2d version of that.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Where do I get chicken food and how do I pick up chickens or otherwise get them to where I want to farm them? 5 feathers per arrow is loads :(

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Where do I get chicken food and how do I pick up chickens or otherwise get them to where I want to farm them? 5 feathers per arrow is loads :(

There is a bag of chicken feed in the pioneer station somewhere but it isn't really useful at all yet, you can't really farm chickens or anything yet. The arrow recipe makes 5 at a time, so it's only one feather per arrow and you can pick them back up after they are shot.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Working on the assault rifle:

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Are you planning on hiring the cast of Archer to provide some voices? The gifs remind me of the show in a very good way.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Loving the usage of gifs to show us what you're working on.

That sheep looked like it poo poo out meat and that's awesome, as is the assault rifle. The reload/hit animations look pretty smooth as well.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Esposito posted:

Are you planning on hiring the cast of Archer to provide some voices? The gifs remind me of the show in a very good way.

Haha, I wish.

Babyface Mingo posted:

Loving the usage of gifs to show us what you're working on.

That sheep looked like it poo poo out meat and that's awesome, as is the assault rifle. The reload/hit animations look pretty smooth as well.
Thanks, I like gifs but I'm going to have to upgrade my hosting, I'm running out of bandwidth for the first time like ever.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Looks like we got the dodge roll working pretty well, check it out:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We're working on a sweet minimap function where you scan the area around you in order to build up a map from scratch. Here is what it looks like with the highest tier amethyst installed:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Starbound ain't got that

I'm more addicted to buying games than playing them these days. I was about to add this to the least, and this first reply seals the deal. Add dynamite fishing and I'll buy two ;)

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Couple of things so far.

The biggest thing I've accidentally figured out is this:
Once you find or make a pickaxe of sorts, you will have it in your weapon list (hot bar #2). Scroll to it and swing it at things to mine them faster than your MEG. Also, you can use this to break up those rock-piles that look like background items but fall when you mine beneath them.

I've finally made a handful of special bags.. like for example, Excavation Bag. What would be fantastic is if you could click a button on that bag, and have it automatically grab all carried items that would normally auto-load to this bag and sort them out in there. It is horrible trying to navigate a massive bag of overlapping items to figure out wtf you have, and there's no log or anything of what you're picking up as you area-loot around you. I needed grey rocks for example, and I'd knock out some rocks, scoop them up, and try and sort anything that looked rock-like in my bag so I could see what had a quantity that went up, and go "ok.. so this is limestone.." and go digging somewhere else. It's really confusing.

Otherwise, looks good so far. Off to gather more poo poo to make more poo poo to kill more poo poo.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

glug posted:

What would be fantastic is if you could click a button on that bag, and have it automatically grab all carried items that would normally auto-load to this bag and sort them out in there. It is horrible trying to navigate a massive bag of overlapping items to figure out wtf you have,
Yeah, I'm planning on doing an auto-organize button on containers, which would sort the container (and any sub-containers) so it would make sense to have it go through the items in your pack and shove them in the auto-sort containers (excavator etc) when you hit that button.

glug posted:

and there's no log or anything of what you're picking up as you area-loot around you. I needed grey rocks for example, and I'd knock out some rocks, scoop them up, and try and sort anything that looked rock-like in my bag so I could see what had a quantity that went up, and go "ok.. so this is limestone.." and go digging somewhere else. It's really confusing.
Ah interesting, this is the kind of thing that didn't really occur to me because I'm too close to the game - some kind of log letting you know what you just picked up would be pretty nice, I'll have to give it some thought.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
- Fixed an issue that would cause torches to not light up when placed on the ground by right clicking
Was going to mention that, thanks.

Regarding the log, an optional (resizable/closable) tab with a log containing combat info, loot info (ie: picking up resources mined, etc) would be nice, but I think the lack of it would be alleviated by those tooltips that people have mentioned. Even if it's possibly a toggle key that'll give you environmental tooltips while you point with your mouse at mined or un-mined objects, along with the inventory tooltip.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Babyface Mingo posted:

The log near the dead body in the Pioneer Station (top left hand room) gives a good tip; that it's near-by. Look along the floor tiles in that same room, you should see two that are different. (The top left-most, below the chair I believe) Break them and drop down, read the logs and pick up the boxing glove. The log you picked up/read said that it's buried about ~60 blocks left from the Pioneer station, and that when you get close enough you'll see it on your map. So, go about 60 blocks left (it's the first small 'cave' you can go down into, on the right from the watch tower thing). Then, turn on your map tool (m) and just start digging downwards. It's pretty loving deep. Let me know if you need more help or whatever.

So.. regarding the part where you have to break the floor.. what are you breaking it with? I've had to use barrels and I don't have enough resources for that. I think I read there's a better lens you get around here besides the starting broken one, but I have not seen it anywhere :(

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I think I had the better lens and used that to break it, yeah. Can't quite tell you exactly where I got it thought as it's been a while. Sorry!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Check out this wicked cool 3d printer we're working on:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Awesome. Really looking forward to this when it's done.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I think the material printer is pretty much finished, we added some sweet sound effects and it really kinda completes the package =D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS--AreauE0

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We did a poll last week on our site for which item to add next and the winner was the rocket launcher. Its pretty much finished, so check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fSwql-mMI

Frank Serpico
Aug 8, 2005

Oh man, it's total gridlock!!
Although I've told myself no more Early Access Indie games, and knowing it will go on sale sometime, this looks like way too much fun and I'm pretty certain that it'll be 10 bucks well spent. SOLD!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Frank Serpico posted:

Although I've told myself no more Early Access Indie games, and knowing it will go on sale sometime, this looks like way too much fun and I'm pretty certain that it'll be 10 bucks well spent. SOLD!

Hah awesome! I hope you enjoy what we have so far =)

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This looks fantastic, and for 6.99GBP it's a steal, imo. Gonna try it out.

How often do you churn out updates? Is it a regular occurrence or more of a "when it's ready" sort of deal?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Loopoo posted:

How often do you churn out updates? Is it a regular occurrence or more of a "when it's ready" sort of deal?

Every couple weeks I'd say, but it kinda depends on what we're working on and when we can find a nice stopping point. We've got a lot of stuff in various stages of completion so they just sorta go into the game when we finish all the bits.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When are you hoping to have this game released and finished?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Loopoo posted:

When are you hoping to have this game released and finished?

Within a year ideally, but no specific schedule.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So apparently the April 25th update made things so I could actually play, and even with good FPS when I turn all the extraneous detail off. Kudos, I'm enjoying myself so far. Although the animation/physics is a bit weird when jumping up steps in tunnels I have to crawl through.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm not really convinced to buy this yet (mostly due to a huge gaming backlog,) but I'm definitely going to be following your progress. It's definitely a different take on the crafting genre.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The mecha-chicken could stand to be tweaked a little bit, I think. As it is there, blocked by the ceiling, it can't eyebeam me, and its guns can't aim high enough to egg me. If I step forward a bit, it can catch me in the eyebeam explosion but I'm still out of range of the egg cannon. I didn't actually kill it that way, I got bored and left after firing over 200 crossbow bolts into it 11 at a time.

Also, neither limestone, marble, nor coal will work for making steel, and the (seriously under-informative) wiki points me to graphite and anthracite, neither of which I've even seen.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Dareon posted:

The mecha-chicken could stand to be tweaked a little bit, I think. As it is there, blocked by the ceiling, it can't eyebeam me, and its guns can't aim high enough to egg me. If I step forward a bit, it can catch me in the eyebeam explosion but I'm still out of range of the egg cannon. I didn't actually kill it that way, I got bored and left after firing over 200 crossbow bolts into it 11 at a time.

Also, neither limestone, marble, nor coal will work for making steel, and the (seriously under-informative) wiki points me to graphite and anthracite, neither of which I've even seen.

Hmm yeah, the mech chicken definitely needs some work, especially around those prefabs. We also have a more involved second-stage fight planned in a little boss room, but that is still a ways out. You make steel with anthracite and iron ore, anthracite is found pretty deep, it looks like darker coal nuggets sorta.

Also, here is a sweet gif of the TNT we're working on. There are single sticks for throwing, and then you'll be able to craft bundles that can be stuck to stuff.

edit: Update, now lasers light TNT bundles too :neckbeard:

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 15, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Those explosions look pretty small, you're standing about 10 feet away. Looks good though!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Those explosions look pretty small, you're standing about 10 feet away. Looks good though!

Yeah, not exactly a realistic explosion range, but we need to leave room for bigger, higher tier explosions down the line =D

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If I can eventually work my way up to (or creative-retrieve) a nuclear/anti-matter bomb that renders an entire cave system into easily-collected rocks, I will be happy.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Sneak peek at the work we did on the crafting window for the upcoming update, its a lot easier to navigate now!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I just pushed an update to Steam, here are the update notes on our site.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Spent the last couple days working on elevators, yay! The visuals are still a work in progress, but functionally it all seems to work pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
We updated Signs of Life to version 0.39 today, here are the patch notes. Nothing earth shattering in there, but the saltpeter deposits on new worlds should make crafting bullets easier and now you can eat food this way:

• Locked thread