Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah, we've got a framework in place for multiplayer (the singleplayer actually runs a local server) but we haven't really messed with it in awhile so until we really dig into it I can't give any kind of ETA.
Would be on this like dots on dice once multiplayer is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Soooo... From people who have played this, how does it compare to Starbound? For some reason looking at it reminds me of SS13. Maybe it's all the violence.

E: I noticed OP says it has a tighter focus, and melee is more gratifying, but I meant more of a "How does this play," kind of thing.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Turtlicious posted:

Soooo... From people who have played this, how does it compare to Starbound? For some reason looking at it reminds me of SS13. Maybe it's all the violence.

E: I noticed OP says it has a tighter focus, and melee is more gratifying, but I meant more of a "How does this play," kind of thing.

The start of the game is pretty rough at the moment as in information is pretty sparse on what to do to progress.

One possible reason for this is the fact that the menu system is a bit more confusing than terraria/starbound and that there are a lot more crafting recipes open in the beginning.

Ideal start for me so far:

Collect things from landing pod, head right and enter the building through broken window. Loot the place and make sure you take the pick.

At this point building some shelter and making a furnace is probably the thing to do. Haven't gotten much further yet!

One gripe I have is the cost of making a furnace, those loving clay spawns can be pretty sparse. I'd rather see the furnace just cost stone.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

mirarant posted:

The start of the game is pretty rough at the moment as in information is pretty sparse on what to do to progress.

One possible reason for this is the fact that the menu system is a bit more confusing than terraria/starbound and that there are a lot more crafting recipes open in the beginning.
Yeah, we're in the process of putting together a proper tutorial that will ease the player into the mechanics/story a bit better.

mirarant posted:

One gripe I have is the cost of making a furnace, those loving clay spawns can be pretty sparse. I'd rather see the furnace just cost stone.

Hmm ok, I'll take a look at the recipe. I could probably also make sure that at least a few patches of clay generate near the spawn or something, I'll give it some thought.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game makes me cum, hail satan

love piss

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lucid Dream posted:

The inventory system really wouldn't work very well with a controller, which is why we never really went down that path, but after hearing about the valve controller its definitely an option with something like that, so we'll just have to see when it becomes available.

Terraria and Starbound both don't support controllers and even though I own them both I just can't enjoy playing them, it's too cumbersome especially since I usually use a Steam setup from the couch or a laptop in bed.

I'd kill for a game like this to have controller support and it'd give you a huge competitive edge to have as a feature I bet.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
One thing that made the game a lot easier was figuring out that you slot gems directly into the spacemagic-tool to upgrade it. Not sure if that was flat out stated somewhere or if I just randomly connected the colours in the tool screen with the different gem colours.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
So I saw a banner about hitting chickens and remembered seeing this in one of the Making Games threads. I bought it and landed on the surface of some planet and kicked an armadillo thing and it bit me so I shot it? But I only had one bullet so it kept biting me and I died. I also found a cave full of leaping green lizards that squeak adorably.

What I'm saying is this is my pick for game of the year. The minimap tool that literally scans a room to add to your minimap is loving fantastic by the way.

Oh also the game crashed when I tried to change keybinds for crouching to C instead of left ctrl. Fortunately it crashed after apparently confirming my keybind change, because I am not a fan of Ctrl. Ctrl can go right to hell. :colbert:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Terraria and Starbound both don't support controllers and even though I own them both I just can't enjoy playing them, it's too cumbersome especially since I usually use a Steam setup from the couch or a laptop in bed.

I'd kill for a game like this to have controller support and it'd give you a huge competitive edge to have as a feature I bet.

Not to hijack the thread, but there is a really amazing terraria controller mod that makes the game work better on pc with a gamepad than the PS3/XBOX/VITA versions though. It adds stuff like lock on and automining.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh also the game crashed when I tried to change keybinds for crouching to C instead of left ctrl. Fortunately it crashed after apparently confirming my keybind change, because I am not a fan of Ctrl. Ctrl can go right to hell. :colbert:

Interesting, had you changed any binds before that? It doesn't seem to crash for me if I change crouch to c from the default binds, at least from the start menu. Does it happen every time you try to bind a key or just that once?

edit: I think I figured it out, it only seems to happen if you change a binding before creating a character, was that what happened in your case?

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 14, 2014

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

It happened for me when I changed kick to mouse4, I had not made a character yet.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

Dizz posted:

And to think the only game that would allow me Chicken abuse was Runescape.

And Dink Smallwood.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tactical Grace posted:

And Dink Smallwood.

and Fable

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I used to beat the poo poo out of chickens in A Link to the Past

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Harvest Moon, too, but if you did that you were a monster. And harmed your income I guess.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You could kick chickens in Fable. I think it even kept track of the farthest you've kicked a chicken.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Red Dead Redemption, too!

This is the Chicken Kickin, Finger Lickin Good thread, right? :v:

So I'm very interested in this game, about to buy it on a whim, but question: I see turrets in one of the OP gifs. Can you get a hold of automated defenses later? That'd be fun as all hell. :dance:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Was I the only one who took a look at the .gifs and immediately thought this was a side-scrolling Space Station 13?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SL the Pyro posted:

Was I the only one who took a look at the .gifs and immediately thought this was a side-scrolling Space Station 13?

First thing I personally thought was QWOP. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

SL the Pyro posted:

Nope.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I'm probably going to get this game eventually, but one question remains...

Is there going to be a grappling hook of sorts? Like the one in Starbound and not like the cruddy one in Terraria, because I wanna swing around wildly even if it is detrimental to my health.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
I remember a big part of end game Terraria was zone traversal and having to make gaudy highways to get anywhere, and I see you've already made elevators. Any plans to make monorails? Maybe with rails in the background so as to not break any biomes, but with carts in the foreground plowing through chicken flocks.

And maybe if you got careless dynamite somewhere on the track and knocked out a rail or two, or when multiplayer comes round you have a joker buddy put up a brick wall in the middle of the track, or if you got the bright idea to make a ramp to nowhere on the face of a pit... The point is this hypothetical rollercoaster monorail needs a sick explosion when it inevitably crashes.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Morter posted:

So I'm very interested in this game, about to buy it on a whim, but question: I see turrets in one of the OP gifs. Can you get a hold of automated defenses later? That'd be fun as all hell. :dance:

Technically they are functional and work pretty well, but we haven't actually made them craftable yet because we haven't figured out exactly how we want to balance them yet (right now they have infinite ammo, no energy cost, etc).

SL the Pyro posted:

I'm a fan of the SS13 concept and I always liked all of the interaction that SS13 has so I'm not surprised that some of that comes through.

GloriousDemon posted:

I remember a big part of end game Terraria was zone traversal and having to make gaudy highways to get anywhere, and I see you've already made elevators. Any plans to make monorails? Maybe with rails in the background so as to not break any biomes, but with carts in the foreground plowing through chicken flocks.

And maybe if you got careless dynamite somewhere on the track and knocked out a rail or two, or when multiplayer comes round you have a joker buddy put up a brick wall in the middle of the track, or if you got the bright idea to make a ramp to nowhere on the face of a pit... The point is this hypothetical rollercoaster monorail needs a sick explosion when it inevitably crashes.

I don't think we've considered monorails yet, but its a neat idea. The elevators are still a work in progress, but it does seem like we should have something that provides horizontal movement eventually as well.

Gobblecoque posted:

You could kick chickens in Fable. I think it even kept track of the farthest you've kicked a chicken.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Harvest Moon, too, but if you did that you were a monster. And harmed your income I guess.

crabrock posted:

I used to beat the poo poo out of chickens in A Link to the Past

I feel like you guys are hyper-focusing on the chicken abuse, and not spending enough time appreciating the sheep abuse.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lucid Dream posted:

ike you guys are hyper-focusing on the chicken abuse, and not spending enough time appreciating the sheep abuse.

I really need to play this having bought it on a sale then having other distractions happen. Beta or not.

The fact after all that one of the crazy bat things is STILL ALIVE is the best part. "Don't worry sheep, I'll save you :downs:"

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Lucid Dream posted:

I feel like you guys are hyper-focusing on the chicken abuse, and not spending enough time appreciating the sheep abuse.

I usually just use the fire starter on them.

So do you have any plans for gibs in the future?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Lucid Dream posted:

Interesting, had you changed any binds before that? It doesn't seem to crash for me if I change crouch to c from the default binds, at least from the start menu. Does it happen every time you try to bind a key or just that once?

edit: I think I figured it out, it only seems to happen if you change a binding before creating a character, was that what happened in your case?

Yeah, I hadn't made a character yet.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Is it just me, or does this game remind me of a side-scrolling Archer game?

This is not a bad thing.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Mo_Steel posted:

Yeah, I hadn't made a character yet.

Ok cool, this will be fixed next update.

In other news, I'm working on camera stuff and we decided to try out an edge peak thing, here is what we have so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZLrBeMJDY

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

Lucid Dream posted:

Ok cool, this will be fixed next update.

In other news, I'm working on camera stuff and we decided to try out an edge peak thing, here is what we have so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZLrBeMJDY

I like the looks of that.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

TomR posted:

I like the looks of that.

Who wouldn't enjoy fisting sheep in the rear end?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Mephiston posted:

Is it just me, or does this game remind me of a side-scrolling Archer game?

This is not a bad thing.

This was basically my exact first thought.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Just got paid; told myself I was going to really save up for some future releases.

But I don't have that willpower.

Game looks great, here's 10 for ya. :)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Another copy sold thanks to the banner Lucid. I didn't need that :10bux: anyway. :shepspends:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Trilin posted:

Just got paid; told myself I was going to really save up for some future releases.

But I don't have that willpower.

Game looks great, here's 10 for ya. :)

RickVoid posted:

Another copy sold thanks to the banner Lucid. I didn't need that :10bux: anyway. :shepspends:

Awesome, let us know about the parts that are confusing or unintuitive in the beginning, we're working on an intro/tutorial and we want to cover as many bases as possible.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Well, it took me some time to notice that I had to drop wood to replenish the camp fire.
By the way, does adding stacked gems to the MEG have a greater effect than adding a single gem?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Atomikus posted:

By the way, does adding stacked gems to the MEG have a greater effect than adding a single gem?

No, but 3 of any gem type (up to brilliant) can be crafted into a higher tier of gem which will have greater effect.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Lucid Dream posted:

Awesome, let us know about the parts that are confusing or unintuitive in the beginning, we're working on an intro/tutorial and we want to cover as many bases as possible.

I had to look online on how to really get the ball rolling. I didn't know there was a pick in the respawn building. For a while I was a little lost on how to get grey stones. :downs:

Beyond that, I'm just exploring and stuffing random things into my inventory. I kinda wish that the game didn't tease me with some craftables that required other cratables that I don't know how to make (large lead-acid battery for the laser pistol). Other than that I'm just kinda meandering for lead and black powder so I can start shooting again. I wasted my first bullet on a chicken. :downs: :downs:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Trilin posted:

I kinda wish that the game didn't tease me with some craftables that required other cratables that I don't know how to make (large lead-acid battery for the laser pistol). Other than that I'm just kinda meandering for lead and black powder so I can start shooting again. I wasted my first bullet on a chicken. :downs: :downs:

Hmm, yeah, I think I might make it so if you use the inspect button on an item in a recipe it gives you that recipe if you don't already have it. You'll need to find some lead underground, and once you smelt some lead ingots you should get the recipe for a small battery, which will give you the recipe for the medium battery, which will give you the recipe for the large battery. I went ahead and changed that to just require a small battery for the next update, it used to be considered a higher tier weapon but then we made an upgraded version, so it doesn't really make sense to require the large battery on it anymore.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

Hmm, yeah, I think I might make it so if you use the inspect button on an item in a recipe it gives you that recipe if you don't already have it.

This. Do this.

I've got more to say about the game but I'm phone postin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Is there any reason why I should be building something better than a filthy mud hovel with wooden doors to live in?

What's the difference between a Wall block, an Insulation Block, a Floor Block, a Ceiling Block, and a Slab?

Am I missing some benefit of building stairs over building platforms?

• Locked thread