Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

They do pretty awful damage. I had merc/barbarian/scout/druid as my first playthrough, so I saw what a proper 2hander damage dude could do, and what a hybrid could pull off, and it's pretty damning. I built her with the intent of critting free 2h swings, and the only reason why she did any damage worth speaking of was GM warfare. I'd have to say it's probably the most disappointing class I've played so far. You can't really overcome 125% damage loss even if you build around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Uh... what just happened? I'm in the Elemental Forge, in an area I explored with my old party with nothing special happening, I cast whispering shadows (coincidence?) and suddenly this goofy circus tune kicks in BA BAH! BabahbahBAH! Bahbababa ba! Ba! Ba! Ba!"

:stare:

No idea what the HELL that was. Nothing out of the ordinary otherwise.

:confused:

Some monsters sometimes do a goofy animation involving song and/or dance instead of their usual idle animation. It seems to be pretty rare, but I've heard an electric guitar at one point or another...

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Alright so I've gotten far enough to do the quest to turn my Crusader into a Paladin and get that sweet healing spell I've been drooling over. But I'm stuck at the ghost who wants stuff. I've got all the pieces of the disk I need but the ghost won't take them. What gives?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The Google Doc of all the trainers keeps listing the Itinerant Merchant as the "Ltinerant Merchant" and it's driving me insane every time I look over at it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Some monsters sometimes do a goofy animation involving song and/or dance instead of their usual idle animation. It seems to be pretty rare, but I've heard an electric guitar at one point or another...

Phew. I was starting to think I was crazy. There were definitely some unrevealed monsters nearby, that must have been it.

Kikilupo
Apr 3, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

Phew. I was starting to think I was crazy. There were definitely some unrevealed monsters nearby, that must have been it.

I started a new game and I was in the tower and I heard some kind of R&B lady singing song like 4 times now. Just randomly, once after resting, once after casting a spell, and 2 times after triggering enemies. Very weird and kind of hilarious. I think a dev left in some placeholder sounds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Possibly dumb question: Where is my data saved? Locally or on the steam servers? I was thinking of installing in a second location, but don't want to have to go back and forth with a flash drive.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The mace grandmaster is shark who plays the broom guitar if you wait long enough. It's reason enough to pick maces over spears with a barbarian.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

spengler posted:

Does Uplay have functionality in this game to sync saves between different machines?
I don't know whether M&M X has Uplay cloud saves or not, but they probably are not trustworthy anyway. A bunch of people had problems with saves getting rolled back in Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Out of curiosity how much better is Spear than Mace for Barb? I was planning on going Mace since that kind of fits the theme I'm going for with the character but people have been talking about how Spear's Ignore Armor upgrades are just too good to pass up.

Are Mace users out there getting good use out of the stun from that line?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Two handed maces do more base damage than spears do (on the item), which is going to scale better, but unless you're going to have the crit to frequently proc a stun, 50% armor reduction is going to be a lot more valuable to you on everything other than mages. They get a 5% bonus from expert mace, and extra crit from destiny off of master 2h, so it's not that hard. My barbarian mostly avoided destiny, and I should have gone spears instead, but he still did pretty strong damage.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bussamove posted:

I'm in the same boat with Mercenaries. I understand that they were trying to go for a Jack of all trades (grand) master of none feel with them, but you get such a massive bonus when you GM a weapon or style that I can't help but feel they'd be underpowered in the end. Especially when Crusader is right there in the same race and seems like a much better choice.
Yeah, I was thinking about restarting my playthrough with a Merc as my main melee but once I realized thaat the class doesn't get a single GM in any wepon I quickly discarded that idea. I can only hope that the developer will reconsider the Merc's role and give it GM in at least one weapon class.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
The worst thing you could do in this game is pick the "Cynical" voice. They all have the exact same line when you're detected it's the worst thing ever.

Litler
Mar 15, 2013
TAKE A BATH DAMNIT

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
That and the random female villager yelling 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!' when you're walking around in town. Ugh.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

THE PWNER posted:

The worst thing you could do in this game is pick the "Cynical" voice. They all have the exact same line when you're detected it's the worst thing ever.

All my characters have the cynical voice :gonk:

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock

ShiroTheSniper posted:

All my characters have the cynical voice :gonk:

You do know, these woods are full of brigands, right?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Man, I hate fighting air elementals. Stupid chain lightning hurts like hell even with ward spells up.

Of course once I closed the gap they just fold immediately while getting skull cracked.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Lysdexic posted:

:psyboom:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gort posted:

Good god, does the writing stay this bad throughout? That intro was about fifteen minutes long about angels fighting assassins causing civil wars and pirates and kings with hilariously modern names like Kevin and Steve and after all that high-fantasy crap, they dump you in the fantasy equivalent of Bournemouth and make you fight spiders down a well. Maybe some kind of pacing? You know, introduce your angel lords and demonic badasses AFTER you get done doing odd-jobs for the village idiot?

I get the feeling that the people developing the game didn't necessarily intend for it to be shoehorned into HOMMVI, and tried to make their game as unobtrusively related as possible once that decision came down, only to get overridden in the end by somebody in charge of brand management. Setting it in the same world as the most recent HOMM games worked only in the sense that there's some interesting poo poo in there, but trying to make a plot that actually interacted with and referenced the story of the games ends up making everything kind of stupid. They should have just divorced the two plots and given the players a completely original story in a world that happened to have some dumb poo poo going on on the more grand scale.

That's what I always liked about the earlier Might and Magic games, Xeen especially. If your character ended up saving the world, it was pretty much incidental from the primary goal of the player, which was killing monsters and amassing treasure. You weren't 'thrust into a battle of good vs evil' or whatever. You were just there. If you happened to save a town from an evil ninja dojo or stop an ancient evil superwizard from stealing a spaceship, it was just a nice bonus to all the treasure you were getting. This seems to be where a lot of the more modern attempts at this genre miss the point. The games that seem to understand the plot elements do other terrible things to ruin themselves (I really, really wanted to like Grimrock but not being able to find a sword for three floors in a game where you have to specialize in weapons was horseshit, bad game design. And no shops? Really? Even Wizardry had shops!) and the games that understand the mechanics seem to ruin themselves with plot, or they have a vague enough understanding about both that they just end up making GBS threads out a turd. In the case of MMX, the base game is so good that it covers any deficit in the story, and the story is just unobtrusive enough that you can ignore it if you skip all the cutscenes.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 29, 2014

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lysdexic posted:

Party has Detect Secrets up:

"What was that, probably nothing"

Probably?! Checks every wall
:psyduck:

edit: The Gryphon Guy in the Castle rides his crossbow like a pogo stick if you let his animations idle

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is my first experience with this particular genre. Although I've played tons of RPGs and enjoyed Grimrock, this is obviously different. There have been all sorts of useful tips in this thread, but I'd like to make sure my party concept will actually make sense as I progress through the game in Adventurer mode.

Basically, I'd like three melee guys to deal damage (each with handy backup utility spells when possible) and a magic user to keep everyone healed/debuffed. I'm thinking Crusader/Blade Dancer/Scout/Druid.

Just to make sure, does Dispel Magic actually clear away ALL conditions, even stuns/sleep/paralyze? It seems like that would free up a lot of points that would have been spent getting other debuffs, so my Druid can concentrate on Earth+Light. Either way, would it be worth it to pick up Burning Determination on my Scout? Unless the conditions it prevents are telegraphed by or exclusive to specific enemies it seems like it might be a pain to keep up.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 29, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Some more info on the performance issues - oh my. Someone took the time to dig into the actual game files to find out why this runs like a slug on tar, and it turns out the developers don't seem to really know how to make 3d-models, since almost everything has a ridiculously high polygon count - floor tiles, for example, are 1200+ polygons. Why it works better on some rigs for no apparent reason, no idea. Changing drivers / NVidia settings doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, taken from the debug log - there are literally thousands of lines, these are just some:

code:
Unloading 43307 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 19824.
AudioManager: AudioController is set persistent, MEMORY LEAK?
OnAbilityEvent: Ability GFX is missing!
PlaySoundOnAwake: AudioID not found! DangerSenseYellowStart
AudioID: 'DoT_evil_Laughter' not found!
AudioID: 'smallFire1' not found!
And keep in mind that the game looks like this. Some areas better, some.. less so. This is with the textures set to high, mind. Next-gen graphics! Pro developers! Jesus, I want to like the game but goddamn Ubisoft, get your poo poo togeter.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Does no-one read credits anymore? The game literally had 8 programmers and 4 content creators. If the budget was more than $1 million I would be absolutely amazed.

I think the quality of the experience sort of raises the bar of what we expect, when in reality I think they pretty much knocked this out of the park. I highly doubt Ubisoft cared if this sank or swam. Yeah, there is an enormous amount of rookie stuff going on, but I would rather that they had spent their time on the game experience with an eye to tighten up graphics and optimisation later than vice versa.

Also, in that screenshot the entry tile hasn't loaded in. That rock facade isn't meant to be viewed up that close.

e: A lot of the really lovely assets are actually from the Unity store and not made by the team.

shalcar fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 29, 2014

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dropbear posted:

Some more info on the performance issues - oh my. Someone took the time to dig into the actual game files to find out why this runs like a slug on tar, and it turns out the developers don't seem to really know how to make 3d-models, since almost everything has a ridiculously high polygon count - floor tiles, for example, are 1200+ polygons. Why it works better on some rigs for no apparent reason, no idea. Changing drivers / NVidia settings doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, taken from the debug log - there are literally thousands of lines, these are just some:

code:
Unloading 43307 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 19824.
And keep in mind that the game looks like this. Some areas better, some.. less so. This is with the textures set to high, mind. Next-gen graphics! Pro developers! Jesus, I want to like the game but goddamn Ubisoft, get your poo poo togeter.

The bugs and glitches are so evident it's absolutely nuts. I haven't loaded a game and not seen a glitch, and I keep getting new ones. Once I had one where the audio would only play the first 1/5th of every speech sound bite. That one wasn't bad.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dropbear posted:

code:

I dunno dude, this game runs screaming fast on my i7 @ 4.8GHz + Dual AMD r9 290s. :pcgaming:

That screenshot actually looks like you're running the game on the lowest setting and not FANTASTIC!

I've sunk WAY too many hours into this so far. My GMd dagger/dual wield bladedancer that's dual wielding relentless daggers (extra attack on hit) just shits out so much loving damage it's insane.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Stanley Pain posted:

I dunno dude, this game runs screaming fast on my i7 @ 4.8GHz + Dual AMD r9 290s. :pcgaming:
That screenshot actually looks like you're running the game on the lowest setting and not FANTASTIC!

Yup, on some setups it just works - some ages old Macs run the game perfectly, while some desktop machines with beast GPUs etc. are unplayable, it's very strange. And yeah, that picture was taken with textures on high + terrain on very high. Some areas look way worse than others (this was in the wrecked ship-area near Sorpigal), looks almost like the devs just ran out of time. Or the game failed to load the proper assets, who knows.

Also, someone asked about the paladin quest with the stone disc - has anyone figured out how to return the disc? I can't complete it either. I read you need to give the disc to the ghost after finding 4 pages; the option just doesn't appear for me. Does it just not activate if you don't actually have the quest for it (I don't have a crusader)?

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

This is my first experience with this particular genre. Although I've played tons of RPGs and enjoyed Grimrock, this is obviously different. There have been all sorts of useful tips in this thread, but I'd like to make sure my party concept will actually make sense as I progress through the game in Adventurer mode.

Basically, I'd like three melee guys to deal damage (each with handy backup utility spells when possible) and a magic user to keep everyone healed/debuffed. I'm thinking Crusader/Blade Dancer/Scout/Druid.
Should be perfectly doable.

quote:

Just to make sure, does Dispel Magic actually clear away ALL conditions, even stuns/sleep/paralyze? It seems like that would free up a lot of points that would have been spent getting other debuffs, so my Druid can concentrate on Earth+Light. Either way, would it be worth it to pick up Burning Determination on my Scout? Unless the conditions it prevents are telegraphed by or exclusive to specific enemies it seems like it might be a pain to keep up.
Dispel magic dispels all the party buffs too, something to keep in mind as in most fights you'll be buffed to the maxxed.

Burning determination is totally worth it. It stops stuns/paralyzes and a third condition, and with decent fire magic it does it for a lot of rounds. You'll almost always be in a fight in multiple rounds, and having one guy making a buff at the beginnnig >> having to heal the stuns/paralyzes every turns.

And, yes, it's very easy to know which enemies Burning Determinations helps for (hint: almost all).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dropbear posted:

Yup, on some setups it just works - some ages old Macs run the game perfectly, while some desktop machines with beast GPUs etc. are unplayable, it's very strange. And yeah, that picture was taken with textures on high + terrain on very high. Some areas look way worse than others (this was in the wrecked ship-area near Sorpigal), looks almost like the devs just ran out of time. Or the game failed to load the proper assets, who knows.

Also, someone asked about the paladin quest with the stone disc - has anyone figured out how to return the disc? I can't complete it either. I read you need to give the disc to the ghost after finding 4 pages; the option just doesn't appear for me. Does it just not activate if you don't actually have the quest for it (I don't have a crusader)?

Yeah there are definitely a lot of bugs to be squashed. Going to try the game on my low end laptop (AMD A6 APU) to see how it runs. I'm also hoping that the modding community does some cool stuff with this. I'd love to see respawning enemies, or random encounter type stuff added so I can grind levels :shobon:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

shalcar posted:

Does no-one read credits anymore? The game literally had 8 programmers and 4 content creators. If the budget was more than $1 million I would be absolutely amazed.

I think the quality of the experience sort of raises the bar of what we expect, when in reality I think they pretty much knocked this out of the park. I highly doubt Ubisoft cared if this sank or swam. Yeah, there is an enormous amount of rookie stuff going on, but I would rather that they had spent their time on the game experience with an eye to tighten up graphics and optimisation later than vice versa.

Also, in that screenshot the entry tile hasn't loaded in. That rock facade isn't meant to be viewed up that close.

e: A lot of the really lovely assets are actually from the Unity store and not made by the team.

As soon as I heard you goons saying it was a good game I went out and paid full price for the drat thing just because I want to reward Ubisoft for putting the game out there in the first place. I'm hoping the game does well enough to justify more sequels in the future. I love this series and it was a real shame to see it die with IX. I'm not disappointed with my investment at all, I just wish they didn't try so hard to remind you you were involved in the HOMMVI story.

If they really want to use the HOMMVI world for this series, let's have some Necro, Academy or Sanctuary towns! Why all this uninteresting Haven poo poo nobody cares about?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah there are definitely a lot of bugs to be squashed. Going to try the game on my low end laptop (AMD A6 APU) to see how it runs. I'm also hoping that the modding community does some cool stuff with this. I'd love to see respawning enemies, or random encounter type stuff added so I can grind levels :shobon:

Likewise, I can't wait for some modders to actually fix stuff, since I actually do love the game when I am able to actually play it or just force myself to suffer through the atrocious framerate. The monsters do respawn sometimes, though - the time it takes seems to vary wildly between players, so it might actually be a bug, but some have gotten respawns later on.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Arkeus posted:

Should be perfectly doable.

Dispel magic dispels all the party buffs too, something to keep in mind as in most fights you'll be buffed to the maxxed.

Burning determination is totally worth it. It stops stuns/paralyzes and a third condition, and with decent fire magic it does it for a lot of rounds. You'll almost always be in a fight in multiple rounds, and having one guy making a buff at the beginnnig >> having to heal the stuns/paralyzes every turns.

And, yes, it's very easy to know which enemies Burning Determinations helps for (hint: almost all).

Awesome, thanks for all the information. I feel much better about going forward with this party now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

shalcar posted:

This is where I am. It's a super low budget reboot of a decade+ dead series, using tons of recycled assets from another game to stretch their limited resources. Viewed in that vein the game is pretty phenomenal. Maybe it's just because I went into expecting it to be horrible that I'm so pleasantly surprised. It may not be as huge or epic as 6 or 7, but in my book it's a worthy modern successor to the Xeen games.

I'm really hopeful that it does well enough we get a more polished/ambitious Might and Magic XI. :ohdear:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Fintilgin posted:

This is where I am. It's a super low budget reboot of a decade+ dead series, using tons of recycled assets from another game to stretch their limited resources. Viewed in that vein the game is pretty phenomenal. Maybe it's just because I went into expecting it to be horrible that I'm so pleasantly surprised. It may not be as huge or epic as 6 or 7, but in my book it's a worthy modern successor to the Xeen games.

I'm really hopeful that it does well enough we get a more polished/ambitious Might and Magic XI. :ohdear:

It's a drat good game for what it is. If it was developed by an indie studio with a new IP people would be gushing over it everywhere. Expectations are too high due to the branding.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I really wish Mercenary got at least one Grandmastery in a weapon, but I've been making do with a sword and board build. Getting Retaliatory strikes from both shield Master and Dodge Grandmaster and the occasional bonus swing from sword crits (and Destiny is high) at least means my Merc usually swings a lot, which sort of makes up for missing all that extra damage from a Grandmastery, I guess.

I *think* this is the most extra attack opportunities you can squeeze out of a class but I'm not convinced it makes up for the extra attack value and huge damage boost from a GM weapon on something like a Defender, who can GM axes AND get additional party protection from the Shield Grandmastery.

And if you try a 2h or dual wield build? You're just a bad damage dealer who can GM medium armor and dodge. :shrug:

I enjoy gimmicky builds like "max extra attacks" so maybe GM weapons are just TOO good to make a melee class without them very good.

Good thing I started on Adventurer where it's not holding me back much :v:

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

The Muffinlord posted:

The Google Doc of all the trainers keeps listing the Itinerant Merchant as the "Ltinerant Merchant" and it's driving me insane every time I look over at it.

The Dual Wielding skill being listed as "Duel" is pretty bad too!

THE PWNER posted:

It's a drat good game for what it is. If it was developed by an indie studio with a new IP people would be gushing over it everywhere. Expectations are too high due to the branding.

Aside from the technical aspects which I can easily overlook due to the small team, I'm ridiculously impressed by this game. I mean, it's a miracle that it exists in the first place. The fact that it's actually good is unbelievable.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Psykmoe posted:

I really wish Mercenary got at least one Grandmastery in a weapon, but I've been making do with a sword and board build. Getting Retaliatory strikes from both shield Master and Dodge Grandmaster and the occasional bonus swing from sword crits (and Destiny is high) at least means my Merc usually swings a lot, which sort of makes up for missing all that extra damage from a Grandmastery, I guess.

Go to "Might & Magic X - Legacy\Might and Magic X Legacy_Data\StreamingAssets\StaticData" and open up the "CharacterClassStaticData.csv"

Merc is StaticID 1. Under the title GrandmasterSkills, add in "6," before the the other three numbers. Then go to the ExpertSkills and delete the 6 in there.

Merc now has Grandmaster sword. If you want to know more about the skill numbers, open up "Skills.csv" and read through that. You can edit them all pretty easily from in there. Unsure on issues later in game, but it's working.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 29, 2014

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I'm stuck, can anyone help me? Done pretty much all I could find in Agyn Peninsula (except some cursed ruins with ghouls that were way too strong for me, a cave with a dragon in it and the cyclops cave), but I can't get anywhere new. There's a blocked bridge, a broken bridge that needs a blessing and a teleporter that also needs a blessing, but the only blessing I've found is Sylanna (to go through thickets).

I've done Castle Portmeyron, the Lighthouse, the Bandit hideout in the woods and the Elemental Forge. Maybe I've missed something in one of those?

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Apoffys posted:

I've done Castle Portmeyron, the Lighthouse, the Bandit hideout in the woods and the Elemental Forge. Maybe I've missed something in one of those?

The bridge near castle Portmeyron should open after you've done the Elemental Forge; at least the guy blocking it disappeared after that for me.

About the classes; dwarf defender seems completely broken against melee opponents. I can solo anything that only melees me with him alone; right now I'm soloing two cyclopses at once. They hit me for 1 damage per strike, if they hit at all since most blows are blocked. The rest of my team died almost immediately. Not sure if this is exclusive to the dwarf, or if any heavy armor char can do the same - and I don't even have heavy armor grandmastery yet!

EDIT: Oh no, one of the cyclops critically hit me! For two damage. Out of 325.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apoffys posted:

I'm stuck, can anyone help me? Done pretty much all I could find in Agyn Peninsula (except some cursed ruins with ghouls that were way too strong for me, a cave with a dragon in it and the cyclops cave), but I can't get anywhere new. There's a blocked bridge, a broken bridge that needs a blessing and a teleporter that also needs a blessing, but the only blessing I've found is Sylanna (to go through thickets).

Once you finish the forge (fought and won vs. the earth lord elemental), finish the quest at the castle, which should then open up the blocked bridge. If the bridge remains locked, you need to make sure that the game is fully updated and activated in uplay since you're running an older/not activated version, or potentially :filez: :shobon:, or try the following http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/826555-Important-Notice-if-you-can%92t-access-Act-2?s=fd3b458a87c31626248eb28a095729ad

• Locked thread