Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ineffable posted:

I'm about to pick this game up, but I was hoping to get some advice about my party. Right now I'm thinking about running a Bladedancer, a Barbarian, a Freemage and a Runepriest. Is this setup good? Would I be better off with a druid and not a runepriest?
With this set up, it seems your Runepriest will be relegated to pure healing duty- and in that case, a Druid is just better.

quote:

Couple of questions beyond that, should all of my casters be using focuses, or will my runepriest be able to use a mace and a shield effectively?
Mace and shield (with only one point in mace) would be if you are trying to go the Tank route with your runepriest. In that case, pump some vitality, get some armor, focus on light and earth, and you'll have an undying tank that can heal.

Focus gives +chance to crit and +crit damage for spells. My freemage has something like 40%chance to crite and +100%crit damage, for example. It's just plain better than any other 'weapons' unless you want to be a pure healer.

quote:

How important is grandmastery over mastery when it comes to spell schools? I suppose what I mean is, am I better off getting grandmastery in a couple schools or mastery in several? I'm thinking particularly about my freemage: is it going to be worthwhile to get mastery in water magic? Grandmastery in air seems a given, but is grandmastery in primordial or dark magic worth the points over mastery?

Grandmastery is an order of magnitude better than mastery. Not only does it double the effectiveness of any spells (you healed 50 per round with regen before? now you do 100), but it also more than double spell penetration (goodbye resists) AND it gives an overpowered spell.

Always, always, always go for grandmastery.

THE PWNER posted:

Focuses doesn't seem to influence anything related to spellcasting. My Runepriest uses a mace. Maybe later on, focuses have a higher chance of having beneficial caster stats or something?

MF stats gives +0.8% chance to crit for spells per level when you wear a focus. The grandmastery gives you another +30% damage on crit for spells. Focii gives you, when you wear them, +% damage on crit.

This means if you dual wield two dragon wand, you get +30%*2 damage on crit for spell. If, furthermore, you are a grandmaster in Focii, you get another +30% AND you get a minimum of 25*0.8=+20% chance to crit.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Ineffable posted:

I'm about to pick this game up, but I was hoping to get some advice about my party. Right now I'm thinking about running a Bladedancer, a Barbarian, a Freemage and a Runepriest. Is this setup good? Would I be better off with a druid and not a runepriest?

If you want Nurture, a druid might work better, but that party composition is still quite viable, and the Rune Priest can still benefit as a healer from GM Earth. A lot of people like running a rune priest, they are good nukers, supports and can do decently well in melee for a casting class.

Ineffable posted:

Couple of questions beyond that, should all of my casters be using focuses, or will my runepriest be able to use a mace and a shield effectively?

How important is grandmastery over mastery when it comes to spell schools? I suppose what I mean is, am I better off getting grandmastery in a couple schools or mastery in several? I'm thinking particularly about my freemage: is it going to be worthwhile to get mastery in water magic? Grandmastery in air seems a given, but is grandmastery in primordial or dark magic worth the points over mastery?

Sorry about all the questions; I can't play the game for another few days so I'm sort of obsessing over my party setup.

Foci do very little damage for much of the game, but they boost casting stats and can't miss or be blocked. A runepriest with a mace shouldn't have any problems, but if you want to play him primarily as a nuker you might benefit from using a focus instead. In my game my rune priest is using a mace and my freemage has a focus.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
People have commented on this before, but I love how the classes evolve throughout the game. My freemage went from being a utility character to slaughtering everything, my shaman transitioned from dealing damage to support and my scout went from being terrible at life to being one of the most balanced characters I have. The variety in enemy design also means that each class has its moment when it shines and every fight isn't just a race to buff the blade dancer and chop everything to pieces.

So yeah, the graphics are functional at best and the story is oblivion-level terrible (although not oblivion-level intrusive) but the gameplay, enemies and class design are fun and addictive as hell. We need more games like this.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Edwin is the best companion. Until I am down to two quests in my log: the final one, and his, he will be my buddy for life.

Who should I get as #2? Many of these guys want all my golds and that is too many golds.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Waltzing Along posted:

Edwin is the best companion. Until I am down to two quests in my log: the final one, and his, he will be my buddy for life.

Who should I get as #2? Many of these guys want all my golds and that is too many golds.

I am pretty early into the game, but want to get him as soon as possible for the most xp. Where do you get him?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

People have commented on this before, but I love how the classes evolve throughout the game. My freemage went from being a utility character to slaughtering everything, my shaman transitioned from dealing damage to support and my scout went from being terrible at life to being one of the most balanced characters I have. The variety in enemy design also means that each class has its moment when it shines and every fight isn't just a race to buff the blade dancer and chop everything to pieces.

So yeah, the graphics are functional at best and the story is oblivion-level terrible (although not oblivion-level intrusive) but the gameplay, enemies and class design are fun and addictive as hell. We need more games like this.

I think the Heroes world suffers (and has always, always suffered) from being a conceptually cool excercise marred by really, truly bad and cliched storytelling. I think the world is cool. There's a lot of individually interesting takes on the bog standard fantasy tropes, but then it all gets hosed up by the same tired fantasy tropes. If you're going to do a kingdom of necromancers who perform necromancy as a religious rite, can we get some necromancer characters that don't roll their Rs while twirling their mustaches and talking creepily to corpses? There's a lot of room for compelling writing in the world, but there doesn't appear to be anyone at Ubisoft (or, previously, New World Computing) who are at all capable of it.

Heroes V almost had some good plot points, but it was marred completely by horrible, horrible dialog writing. How does this keep happening?????

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Mirthless posted:

I think the Heroes world suffers (and has always, always suffered) from being a conceptually cool excercise marred by really, truly bad and cliched storytelling. I think the world is cool. There's a lot of individually interesting takes on the bog standard fantasy tropes, but then it all gets hosed up by the same tired fantasy tropes. If you're going to do a kingdom of necromancers who perform necromancy as a religious rite, can we get some necromancer characters that don't roll their Rs while twirling their mustaches and talking creepily to corpses? There's a lot of room for compelling writing in the world, but there doesn't appear to be anyone at Ubisoft (or, previously, New World Computing) who are at all capable of it.

Heroes V almost had some good plot points, but it was marred completely by horrible, horrible dialog writing. How does this keep happening?????

I could not disagree with you more. M&M is the Team Fortress 2 of RPG's. TF2 would be a loving terrible game if it went for hyper realism and tried to compete with Call of Duty and poo poo like that. Instead, TF2 took the cartoony approach and ran with it. M&M is at its best when it's a ridiculous over the top cartoon of an RPG. Every time they try and go for "realism" (like Skyrim or something), the game suffers.

M&M is about farting ogres and vampires that yell out "BLAH" when they attack. The cartoonier it is, the better. You either go full cartoon or full realism. The limbo in between the two makes for a very lovely game.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

DevNull posted:

I am pretty early into the game, but want to get him as soon as possible for the most xp. Where do you get him?

Seahaven I think, so you can't get him until you're done with act 1.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Apoffys posted:

Seahaven I think, so you can't get him until you're done with act 1.

I swear I found a second guy that gave +experience gain. Or at least that sounded like what he was going to give you if you recruited him. Am I wrong?

A nice list of all Hirelings, what they do and where to recruit them would be great for the OP.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Apoffys posted:

Thanks, but I'm too far in to bother starting over now. Thankfully there's a workaround (fast travel between the stables in Sorpigal and Seahaven). Hopefully I don't find any other serious bugs...

You definitely want to start over. You are about 5-10% into the game at that point. There are many more things broken since you're running the Early Access Alpha, vs. 2-3 patches in.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I could not disagree with you more. M&M is the Team Fortress 2 of RPG's. TF2 would be a loving terrible game if it went for hyper realism and tried to compete with Call of Duty and poo poo like that. Instead, TF2 took the cartoony approach and ran with it. M&M is at its best when it's a ridiculous over the top cartoon of an RPG. Every time they try and go for "realism" (like Skyrim or something), the game suffers.

M&M is about farting ogres and vampires that yell out "BLAH" when they attack. The cartoonier it is, the better. You either go full cartoon or full realism. The limbo in between the two makes for a very lovely game.

...I didn't say any of those things you think I said? I don't mind Might and Magic being a goofy game series. I loved the Xeen games which were about as goofy as games can get. But the various worlds of Xeen worked in the context of the series, remarkably well. My issue is that the Heroes of Might and Magic world that M&M X is set in has a tremendous potential to be an interesting and compelling world, with plenty of room for brevity, but right now the potential is being wasted to re-play some awful mix of Ivanhoe, Lord of the Rings and the Dark Elf Trilogy. The M&M X development team added some goofy humor here and there that I appreciate, but the elements that I'm taking offense at are goofy and aren't intended to be. If those elements had been handled with the same originality used in crafting the setting (however on accident that may have been) the game world, it's characters, and overarching plot would be a lot more enjoyable to begin with.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I swear I found a second guy that gave +experience gain. Or at least that sounded like what he was going to give you if you recruited him. Am I wrong?

A nice list of all Hirelings, what they do and where to recruit them would be great for the OP.

Yes, there is a second on in Karthal Slums.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I always get so drat indecisive when it comes to creating a party in games like these..

I started a party with a Crusader, Bladedancer, Freemage and a Shaman but I think I hosed up with the skillpoint assignment so I'm rolling a new party but I'm unsure whether the Shaman is a good choice. I'm also not quite sure how I should level my Crusader.

Ineffable
Jul 4, 2012
Thanks for the help, guys!

Right now I'm thinking for my casters I'll try a druid focusing on earth and water, and a freemage focusing on air and dark (with a bit of primordial, fire and light between them for resurrection, identify, etc.) Does this leave me with any major holes in my party's spellcasting? Will my druid have a decent offense with those two schools? I'm not expecting them to be a great nuker, but I'd like them to have some sort of offensive option.

How necessary is mysticism for casters? I assume I'll want it at a decent level, but is it necessary to go all the way to GM on a druid?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I'm in act 2, I don't regret leveling Mysticism to Expert. I need all of those magic points. But probably not to the point where I'll sacrifice a few schools of magic to Grandmaster it.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ineffable posted:

Right now I'm thinking for my casters I'll try a druid focusing on earth and water, and a freemage focusing on air and dark (with a bit of primordial, fire and light between them for resurrection, identify, etc.) Does this leave me with any major holes in my party's spellcasting? Will my druid have a decent offense with those two schools? I'm not expecting them to be a great nuker, but I'd like them to have some sort of offensive option.
Yeah, earth and water have some decent offensive spells too, though they all double as utility.

An advice: get the bit of light on the character that doesn't have earth, so that you can heal the healer if things go bad. I love my crusader partly because it's a never-dying tank that res my dying toons.

quote:

How necessary is mysticism for casters? I assume I'll want it at a decent level, but is it necessary to go all the way to GM on a druid?

GM is an enormous investment- you can only get GM to three of of your skills. In most skills, getting GM means a complete gameplay change. Not so for endurance and mysticism. Read: i don't think you need more than expert on either.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ineffable posted:

In addition to having one of the best healing spells, earth has some great offensive spells in Acid Spray and Poison Cloud, so they should be fine for damage. I only took water to expert on my first playthrough but it's got some good stuff later on too, like the spells that lower the amount of strikes an enemy does, and of course Liquid Membrane for awesome damage reduction. I would recommend getting expert fire on your Freemage for Burning Determination, it's a godsend against pretty much everything. Since you're also getting prime to expert, don't forget to snag Dispel Magic.

As for Mysticism, I took it to GM on my druid because having to stop to quaff a potion might mean one of your other party members gets knocked out or killed if you do it at an inopportune time and can't reapply a buff. With that and a couple MP boosting rings I had nearly 500 MP when I beat the game, which might be a tad excessive. I would definitely put some early skill points into it though, since it's been stated multiple times that getting your casters to 150 mana ASAP is the best course of action.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Speaking of which, where's the detect secrets hireling?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
This reminds me, because I am completely at a loss; I'm taking Air to GM on my freemage, but I don't know what to do next, Dark or Prime. Which is more useful, and why? I've got both to Expert already. Also, where's a good place to take Focuses to?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

Speaking of which, where's the detect secrets hireling?

He's in a cage just north of Lord Kilburn in Yon-chall. Watch out for blackfang.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So has anyone messed around with the game's data files at all yet? They're all in nicely readable formats except for the actual savegames (which is just a ZIP file with additional header data -- delete and there you are) e: nevermind, saves for the wrong game.

Interestingly, the only thing listed in UnlockableContent.csv is that helmet you could get via a promo code given out at PAX (grrrr, thanks for thinking of us others!). I'm guessing they'll be patching that file when the promised DLC comes out. No idea where the additional UPlay content is unlocked from.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 30, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Man, I promoted my shaman to Bloodcaller, and their passive ability is ridiculous! In those extreme fights where enemies just keep coming, my other 3 party members end it on 0 mana and my Bloodcaller is back on full every couple of turns, I can hit regeneration every turn like it's Heal Party, and drop liquid membrane and that water aoe spell like sparks any turn we don't need to heal (which, with liquid membrane and regeneration, is a lot of them'.

Flat out better for healing than my rune priest now, but on the other hand once my rune priest got promoted she can cast the fire grandmaster spell which does 600+ damage to everyone adjacent. Role reversal AGAIN!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
What's the best offensive spell-tree to GM for my Runepriest? I'm probably only going to GM one spelltree since I want to max out his Armor, Mace & Shield as much as possible.

Any "must-have" levels for him otherwise? I have Prime to expert level for Identify obviously but I've been hesitant on investing in anything else.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Fire is pretty loving amazing for damage and it seems to be what the Runepriest's main focus is.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

What's the best offensive spell-tree to GM for my Runepriest? I'm probably only going to GM one spelltree since I want to max out his Armor, Mace & Shield as much as possible.

Any "must-have" levels for him otherwise? I have Prime to expert level for Identify obviously but I've been hesitant on investing in anything else.

The best would be GM fire + GM magic focus. But if you insist on going melee earth might work for you a bit better with the armor debuff.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Space Pussy posted:

The best would be GM fire + GM magic focus. But if you insist on going melee earth might work for you a bit better with the armor debuff.

I was going to do Magic Focus and put a one-handed focus in his off/shield-hand but it looks like all the focus "weapons" are two-handed.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

The Joe Man posted:

I was going to do Magic Focus and put a one-handed focus in his off/shield-hand but it looks like all the focus "weapons" are two-handed.
Master magical focus let's you equip 2 1handed foci

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm using the default party and is stuck midway in act 2. It seems like every part of the map is blocked by enemies that are too tough, especially the Black Something guys around Karthal. What am I supposed to do after discovering the second town?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So, regarding the cyclops: What a loving waste of time! He's twice as hard as the Shadow Dragon for basically no reward. The poo poo in the chests in his dungeon aren't even scaled up past Act 1 quality. Is this a bug? I don't think I even got a cheevo for it...

ymgve posted:

I'm using the default party and is stuck midway in act 2. It seems like every part of the map is blocked by enemies that are too tough, especially the Black Something guys around Karthal. What am I supposed to do after discovering the second town?

There are glowy green walls in the woods. If you did the green portion of the elemental forge (which you should have when you were there, I don't know if you can advance to A2 without doing it) you should be able to bypass those walls. Go west down the road from seahaven until you get to a wall blocked by 3 earth elementals, and then proceed north to the tower there. And then in that area of forest you can get to a dungeon where the quest proceeds. If you can't clear the manticores/minotaurs/panthers you are probably undergeared or underleveled.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 31, 2014

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mirthless posted:

So, regarding the cyclops: What a loving waste of time! He's twice as hard as the Shadow Dragon for basically no reward. The poo poo in the chests in his dungeon aren't even scaled up past Act 1 quality. Is this a bug? I don't think I even got a cheevo for it...

There are glowy green walls in the woods. If you did the green portion of the elemental forge (which you should have when you were there, I don't know if you can advance to A2 without doing it) you should be able to bypass those walls. Go west down the road from seahaven until you get to a wall blocked by 3 earth elementals, and then proceed north to the tower there. And then in that area of forest you can get to a dungeon where the quest proceeds. If you can't clear the manticores/minotaurs/panthers you are probably undergeared or underleveled.

I scoured that area, there was no quest continuation there. I think there was a Lost City dungeon but I lacked the key.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Restarted my warrior run today. I found that my original party was lacking. I didn't excactly plan well when I made it. It was a standard one with two melee and two casters. Defender, barbarian, druid and freemage. It didn't seem like the two pure melees pulled their weight or maybe I just didn't build them right.

My new setup is Ranger/Scout/Shaman/Freemage

This makes for a much easier earlygame as I let everyone specialize in a different school of magic at the start. As weapons seems to be bad at the beginning. The ranger and scout went up to max (master) in earth and light respectively and got some points in spirit so they had mana to spend. They are my earlygame healers and endgame will be backup healers. Shaman pumped air for aoe damage and freemage took primeval and then fire (got to have protection against stuns and paralyze) for utility and some damage. Later will pick up earth and light on them. I find this setup to be very good as when I rest everyone gets useful mana back and the ranger and scout can actually be useful against high armor opponents at the beginning of the game.

I don't know if it will hold up in the later parts of the game though. At least I have all spell schools covered to expert for the wards and debuff removal.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 31, 2014

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know if increasing spell skill level decreases the resist chance? I'm thinking of taking dark to GM, mostly because sleep and terror are so absurdly useful. But if it doesn't make it easier to land those, I'll stick with GM primal for bigger implosions.

On a related note: is GM earth or GM water better on a shaman? GM water gives a new damage spell, but GM earth would boost my regens and poisons, which are used pretty often.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I started a run where I was planning to have a Shaman with Earth, Water and Air, along with a Dark/Light/Prime free mage (with some fire on the Defender for burning determination). I noticed too late that a Dark/Light/Prime combo has basically no good nukes until like, Implosion. Oh well. At least that Freemage has my Relic staff to hit enemies with while I figure out where to get some damage from :v: Or maybe I'll just fully commit to a debuffing role with Dark.

Also, it's so annoying that being stunned or asleep means no xp from monster kills. At least this run I know which enemies to keep Burning Determination up on.

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

The Insect Court posted:

Anyone know if increasing spell skill level decreases the resist chance? I'm thinking of taking dark to GM, mostly because sleep and terror are so absurdly useful. But if it doesn't make it easier to land those, I'll stick with GM primal for bigger implosions.

On a related note: is GM earth or GM water better on a shaman? GM water gives a new damage spell, but GM earth would boost my regens and poisons, which are used pretty often.

The Expert/Master/GM trainings reduce enemy resistance to that magic school. Both schools are pretty good. Water gets liquid membrane which is a flat dmg reduction, as well as spells which reduce the number of enemy attacks and an aoe push spell.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Whats up with the shrines that say "come pray on the day of X". I've visited the shrine before and gotten "the party prays to X" and it was for sure not on the day of X. It was just a random day. Now the shrine says "nothing happens" when I click on it, so I guess I did the right thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Whats up with the shrines that say "come pray on the day of X". I've visited the shrine before and gotten "the party prays to X" and it was for sure not on the day of X. It was just a random day. Now the shrine says "nothing happens" when I click on it, so I guess I did the right thing.

I made a list of the days, and some of the Gods(?) definitely don't have days named after them. I assume one of the lore books refers to certain days as being sacred to certain gods even if they aren't named after them.

The days go:
Ylda, Ashda, Malda, Elda, Arda, Sylada, Shalda

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

If you pray at all of them you get a heavy armour relic. That's all, nothing else.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mirthless posted:

Not a bug. The cyclops was easier (to the point of being too easy) and the treasure was better (to the point of being too good) in earlier development versions of the game and they kind of overcompensated when they were fixing it.

Fintilgin posted:

I made a list of the days, and some of the Gods(?) definitely don't have days named after them. I assume one of the lore books refers to certain days as being sacred to certain gods even if they aren't named after them.

The days go:
Ylda, Ashda, Malda, Elda, Arda, Sylada, Shalda

Yeah, each day corresponds to a dragon: Ylda is for Ylath, Ashda is Asha, Malda is Malassa, Elda is Elrath, Arda is Arkath, Sylada is Sylanna and Shalda is Shalassa.

This is complicated, though, by the fact that the thing in the lower right corner that displays what day it is is buggy and will sometimes show the wrong day. You can fix it by resting.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

ymgve posted:

I scoured that area, there was no quest continuation there. I think there was a Lost City dungeon but I lacked the key.

Ah, that happened to me. Go back to the dude in the act one castle and show him the letter you picked up. He'll send you to track down a guy in an observatory who gets you into the lost city. It's way too easy in act 2 to skip that part and end up banging your head against the nastier enemies that fit more into act 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, each day corresponds to a dragon: Ylda is for Ylath, Ashda is Asha, Malda is Malassa, Elda is Elrath, Arda is Arkath, Sylada is Sylanna and Shalda is Shalassa.

This is complicated, though, by the fact that the thing in the lower right corner that displays what day it is is buggy and will sometimes show the wrong day. You can fix it by resting.

So I should just rest spam outside each shrine until I happen upon the correct day?

• Locked thread