Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Might and Magic X: Legacy is a turn-based, first-person computer RPG that reboots the Might and Magic series after a nearly twelve year long hiatus.

Although it is the tenth game in the series, it is not necessary to have any knowledge of the other M&M games to jump in. The campaign shares a backstory with Ubisoft's Heroes V/VI and Dark Messiah, though references and callbacks to New World Computing's older M&M games are mixed in as well.

Steam Store Page - Website - Metacritic - Wot I Think

:siren: This title uses Ubisoft's Uplay DRM. :siren:
:siren: You may encounter performance problems, especially in the 32-bit version. Some users have been helped by setting AA/shadows to 'low' and maxing out the other settings. :siren:
:siren: 6/26/14: Ubi announces that no further updates are planned to this game. :siren:
:siren: 4/16/14: Now available for Mac! :siren:
:siren: 3/17/14: First DLC released, along with the version 1.5 patch. :siren:
:siren: 2/19/14: New patch! See here for patch notes. :siren:

Gameplay

You control a party of four adventurers, known in-game as "Raiders," as they roam around the Agyn Peninsula in grid-based fashion. Moving around on the grid or taking certain actions will advance the clock by a certain number of minutes, otherwise time stands still. Combat, too, is turn-based: during the player's turn, each of your characters can take a swing at a nearby opponent, fire a bow, cast a spell, activate a skill or use an item such as a potion. Once each player character has taken an action, all nearby opponents will have a chance to attack or move one square. In lieu of attacking, the player may move during combat by a square per turn, but only if no opponents are in your face. If you're engaged in melee, it's usually a fight to the death!

Tried and true strategies from MM6-8 such as "run backwards and hold A" or "fly around spamming Meteor Shower" aren't the bread and butter of combat anymore, as many encounters require you to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of your party members. Even the most basic spells and abilities have useful effects like pushbacks, snares and taunts, opening up many tactical options from the get-go.

Like in most RPGs, cutting down enemies and completing quests will provide the party with gold, gear and level-ups. You are free to guide the development of your party as you choose by assigning stat and skill points. Investing a skill unlocks training to "Expert," "Master," or "Grandmaster" status, which provides a bonus to stats and unlocks powerful new spells, gear and abilities. Classes are limited in how far they can progress in a skill, and it's wise to play to the strengths of each party member.

Player characters can be Humans, Elves, Dwarves or Orcs, and each race has its own strengths and weaknesses as well as three unique character classes: a warrior, a spellcaster, and a hybrid proficient in both might and magic. Since there are twelve possible classes and only four slots in your party, it might take multiple playthroughs to fully experience each style of play. The game is split up into two difficulties: "Adventurer" (hard) and "Warrior" (harder). Warrior mode is difficult, but winnable with a carefully built party. Adventurer is still challenging, but once you get the basic mechanics of the game figured out your team will grow quite strong if you have at least a vague plan in developing them.

Races & Classes

Humans have a natural resistance to air and start the game with additional skill points.
  • The Mercenary is the human "Might" class, boasting high defensive capabilities and the ability to master any melee weapon. However, the Mercenary is the only non-caster lacking access to a Grandmaster weapon skill. Upon promotion, the Merc becomes a Windsword, gaining a bonus to opening strikes and a special movement ability.
  • The Crusader is a hybrid class that is skilled in both close combat and Light magic. The combination of shields and heavy armor grants incredible durability for a class with GM in a magic shcool. Promotion to Paladin unlocks a pair of spells that heal the party and enhance their damage output, respectively.
  • The Freemage is the magic class with the largest selection of spells in the game, but also the most limited access to weapons and armor. They are the only class that can use Dark magic, and they have access to Grandmaster Air and Primordial magic as well. Once promoted to Archmage, they gain the ability to freeze time.
Elves have a natural resistance to Earth and have a bonus to Dodge.
  • The Blade Dancer is a warrior class that can put out arguably the highest damage output in the game while dual-wielding swords or daggers. They can reach Grandmaster in Dodge, but this is their primary defensive option: eschew most armor skills in favor of avoiding attacks entirely. Once they are promoted to Blademaster, they gain extra attacks on kill and gain the option to attack all nearby enemies.
  • The Ranger is a hybrid class that boasts the most effective archery talents in the game, hits hard with daggers and can use both Air and Earth magic with some proficiency. Promotion to Warden enables this class to launch a full-damage hail of arrows against all enemies in range.
  • The Druid is a magic class that can reach Grandmaster in Water, Earth and Prime, and can train Mysticism to the highest level. Promotion to High Druid enables an area of effect calm skill as well as Nurture, a very effective regeneration ability. Although limited in hand to hand combat, the Druid is one of the game's most effective healers with Nurture and GM Earth magic.
Dwarves have a natural resistance to Fire and have a bonus to HP.
  • The Dwarven Defender is a might class that sports some of the heaviest armor in the game in addition to the most advanced aggro-management skills. His incredible defense is balanced out by a middling offensive output, though he can still reach GM in axe or mace. Promotion to Shield Guard unlocks a special blocking ability.
  • The Scout is a hybrid that can wield axes and crossbows to the highest level of proficiency. Scouts have decent defensive capabilities and can use Fire and Light magic up to Master level. Promotion to Pathfinder increases crossbow range and unlocks an immobilizing shot.
  • The Rune Priest is a magic class that can Grandmaster in Fire, Earth and Light, and can handle itself reasonably well in melee with a mace or spear. Promotion to Runelord grants the ability to explode things in an area of effect around a tile.
Orcs have a natural resistance to status effects and have a bonus to critical damage.
  • The Barbarian is a warrior class that can do heavy damage with maces, spears or two-handers. This class cannot learn magic, and has only limited access to defensive skills beyond raising his health via Endurance (which he can Grandmaster). Promotion to Warmonger enables this class to put out more damage as his health sinks lower.
  • The Hunter is a hybrid that can reach Grandmaster Spear or Mastery in daggers and maces, and can become proficient in Air magic. GM Endurance, Dodge and Arcane Discipline give good opportunities for survivability. Promoting the Hunter to a Marauder allows this class to lay traps, and to send out a harpoon to pull unsuspecting enemies into melee range. Get over here!
  • The Shaman is a magic class that can Grandmaster in Water, Earth and Air, and can access Mastery in spears, maces and two-handed maces. Promotion to Bloodcaller allows them to regain mana after losing health.
======

Early Game Tips
  • Avoid specializing in bow/crossbow skills too heavily early on. Most fighting happens up-close and your Scouts and Rangers can be very formidable in melee. It's nice to have at least a point in them, though.
  • If your melee characters are missing a lot, put more points into their primary weapon skills.
  • Have one character reach Expert in Primordial magic with their first few level ups to unlock the Identify spell. Otherwise you will be paying out the rear end to identify stuff in the beginning.
  • Regeneration (Earth) and Celestial Armor (Light) can drastically improve a party's survivability when starting out.
  • If you have a freemage, raise Dark to at least Expert so that you can take advantage of Sleep and Purge. It's worth it.
  • Other spells worth learning: Burning Determination (Fire Expert), Purge (Dark Expert), Water Flows Freely (Water Expert), Strength of the Earth (Earth Expert), Spirit Beacon (Prime Expert)
  • Pumping Spirit for a spellcaster's first few levels will make them much more effective, as mana is a big limitation at first. Once you are comfortable with your mana pool, work on your casters' Magic stats as well.
  • Gold is tight at first, but you will be flush later on. Spend wisely, but don't worry about saving up for the endgame.
  • If you're in an area where the enemies wipe the floor with you, you might have wandered there at a too-low level. Go exploring!
General Tips & Non-Obvious Game Mechanics
  • Many buildings have multiple NPCs to talk to besides the one you meet when walking in. If so, there will be more than one portrait at the top of the screen. Click on them to start a new conversation.
  • To target a specific enemy up close, click them or use tab to cycle through nearby enemies. You can't pick an enemy at range: ranged attacks go for a random enemy downfield.
  • Your characters have a limited number of block attempts per turn: 0 by default, but you can increase this by by wearing a shield or training up certain skills.
  • NPCs also have limited blocks: if an enemy keeps blocking your big bruiser's melee strikes, make him waste his block attempts on weaker characters' attacks each round before bringing in the big guns.
  • Arcane foci are unblockable, never miss, and don't depend on stats, but do dogshit damage below Grandmaster.
  • Resistance-boosting spells can be quite useful, especially in elemental-themed areas.
  • Although a Freemage is the only class with access to Dark magic, it's not vital to have one. Most Dark spells can be approximated by other spells, hirelings or effects such as Blessings.
  • Having a Loremaster or using the Whispering Shadows spell allows you to see secret areas. A high Might, Magic or Perception stat will increase a character's chance to access a detected secret.
  • If your stats are low, you still have a chance to pass through a secret door. Cast regeneration and keep trying. Buffs such as Eagle Eye should help as well.
  • Some areas or encounters might require you to rest frequently, or suck down potions. It happens. The game balance tends to encourage you to actually use your consumables.
Gameplay Videos & Goon Streams
Other Useful References
Let me know if anything can be added or improved to this post. Additionally, feel free to talk about other titles in the series in this thread.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

From old thread:

alarumklok posted:

The class/skill chart floating about isn't 100% accurate by the way. Shaman can only expert bow (says master on chart) and crusader can master air (can't even train it according to the chart). I found that one on the forums pre-release from some guy who datamined it, so it's no surprise it's a bit inaccurate. Whoever is redoing the OP should hold off on using it though.

edit: 5 minutes too late!

I tweaked up the table with photoshop to reflect these changes. Let me know if anything else needs fixing!

vvvv Added a note about getting Expert Primordial early on. Pinch every penny!

dhamster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 27, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Dropbear posted:

I'd recommend putting a warning about the performance problems of this game to the OP, so other people won't end up in the same trap as I did - I love the game, but I can't really play it properly because it just chugs way too badly. The graphics settings etc. don't affect anything. Someone did some digging and found out that the game doesn't use more than 2gb of RAM ever, and only used up to 40% of his CPU, while it stuttered like crazy. There is no solution as of yet, and since it's made by Ubisoft, there probably won't be. So it's not a problem about our rigs themselves; most other games look magnificent and run at a smooth 60fps, while this is just a mess.

See more here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#p1

Buyer beware, since Steam doesn't do the whole refund thing. Good game, terrible engine, and if you happen to be one of the people affected by whatever glitch causes this.. well, it sucks.

I'm having a hard time parsing through the back-and-forth in that thread. Did they track down the guy's performance problems or any possible fixes? I mean I could put in sirens on top saying "you might have performance problems" but I'd like to add in some more specifics if I can.

vvvv Well, for now I put a notice near the top about it (along with a reminder that it uses Ubi's in-house DRM). If any fixes are found I'll put them up there prominently.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 27, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

yegods posted:

New thread, some mod may want to link this thread in the old one. It's pretty annoying having to search around for a new thread.

I messaged the mods when I made this one but they just closed the old one. Might have been cool to have a link to here as the last post for the benefit of those bookmarking the old one, but it looks like people are finding this thread pretty well.

yegods posted:

I've been frustrated during combat, and hope there are some answer to be had here. Can someone please explain how movement works during combat?? It's seems utterly random, when you can move and when you cannot. This is especially concerning during that drat battled with the Murmasi (sp?) character, and I kept getting back up against the edge, and swiped off instakill style.

Also, is there a way to target a specific enemy? That is some major frustration there as well, when you're heavy hitter is up, and the target is some guy with 2 hp left, and there's an elite mo-fo looming over you waiting to strike. No way to hit the big guy, AFAIK...

Past those frustrations, it is a pretty serviceable M&M game... wish it had free movement though.

victrix answered most of this, but for that fight in particular you never want to be between him and the edge, if he is within one turn of engaging you in melee. sidestep or step towards him if you have to. if he pushes you into a tile next to the edge, you can move out of it if you do so immediately: after his push, you are no longer in melee range. It's a really neat fight IMO.

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

After the first crawl around the sewers, the game opens up a little bit, and you generally have the opportunity to poke around and explore instead of making a beeline for the next main quest location. I think they do a good job of encouraging this by scattering interesting or helpful stuff around the map. IMO the writing isn't as good as previous installments, though, which probably why the game doesn't seem to have the charm of past games. Some attempts at levity are genuinely funny, but others fall flat, such as the guy in the starting town who is basically telling knock knock jokes.

Geop posted:

Well, I've been whiffing a lot :( When both strikes hit, it's pretty good damage! Guess I need to build up some stats a bit more. Perception maybe?

Pumping up your weapon skills should help. Perception too, but chances are focusing up your primary weapon should do a lot by itself keep you from whiffing so much.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 28, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

E: Whoops I am a page behind

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Gort posted:

Good god, does the writing stay this bad throughout? That intro was about fifteen minutes long about angels fighting assassins causing civil wars and pirates and kings with hilariously modern names like Kevin and Steve and after all that high-fantasy crap, they dump you in the fantasy equivalent of Bournemouth and make you fight spiders down a well. Maybe some kind of pacing? You know, introduce your angel lords and demonic badasses AFTER you get done doing odd-jobs for the village idiot?

Welcome to Karthal, Raiders! Getting ready for the off-season? Oh, you can't leave here by boat. There's no way in or out. Yes, you did just get here by boat.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Mirthless posted:

I get the feeling that the people developing the game didn't necessarily intend for it to be shoehorned into HOMMVI, and tried to make their game as unobtrusively related as possible once that decision came down, only to get overridden in the end by somebody in charge of brand management. Setting it in the same world as the most recent HOMM games worked only in the sense that there's some interesting poo poo in there, but trying to make a plot that actually interacted with and referenced the story of the games ends up making everything kind of stupid. They should have just divorced the two plots and given the players a completely original story in a world that happened to have some dumb poo poo going on on the more grand scale.

That's what I always liked about the earlier Might and Magic games, Xeen especially. If your character ended up saving the world, it was pretty much incidental from the primary goal of the player, which was killing monsters and amassing treasure. You weren't 'thrust into a battle of good vs evil' or whatever. You were just there. If you happened to save a town from an evil ninja dojo or stop an ancient evil superwizard from stealing a spaceship, it was just a nice bonus to all the treasure you were getting. This seems to be where a lot of the more modern attempts at this genre miss the point. The games that seem to understand the plot elements do other terrible things to ruin themselves (I really, really wanted to like Grimrock but not being able to find a sword for three floors in a game where you have to specialize in weapons was horseshit, bad game design. And no shops? Really? Even Wizardry had shops!) and the games that understand the mechanics seem to ruin themselves with plot, or they have a vague enough understanding about both that they just end up making GBS threads out a turd. In the case of MMX, the base game is so good that it covers any deficit in the story, and the story is just unobtrusive enough that you can ignore it if you skip all the cutscenes.

MM6-7 had decent synergy with HOMM2-3's storyline, but they did it better than shoving a deadpan history lesson into the beginning. The story elements ported over were simple enough to make sense on their own, anyway. And it was cool to see the change of perspective between exploring the settings in first person and in the overland map. Sometimes it was just name dropping though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking of which, what difficulty are all you guys playing on? I'm having trouble deciding between adventurer or warrior.

I think a lot of people in this thread are on Warrior, but I've seen some mention playing on Adventurer too. From what I've heard, Warrior seems to require more careful planning of your party, and Adventurer doesn't require as much min maxing but enables your party to snowball in power more in the late-game.

Warrior might not be all that bad if you make use of the tips in this thread, Adventurer gives you more freedom to develop your party as you like in exchange for the difficulty dropping off at high levels.

Spome unrelated questions: How would one allocate stats effectively for a hybrid class, or a fighter? How much investment perception would a party of just Warrior/Caster classes need, if only to access all the secret doors? A viable stat path for casters seems to be pretty well figured out in this thread (spirit to a reasonable mana pool, then a mix of spirit/magic), but I'm not really sure what I'm doing with my Defender and Blade Dancer, or what I would do if I had a Hunter or Crusader in my party.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Now that I'm really enjoying myself, I'm preparing myself for the news that sales weren't good enough for M&MXI. If that's the case, at least we got one last real Might & Magic. :3:

http://steamcharts.com/app/238750#7d

It's around #33 or so right now in the most played games on steam. Given that it's a niche title was probably developed on a shoestring budget I'd say that's not bad. But who knows how that translates to Ubisoft's bottom line. Cautiously optimistic on this one.

Dropbear posted:

They did? I'm not sure if the version I played was patched up or something, but I don't think I ran into any - then again, it's been ages since I played the Xeen games. M&M 7 & 8, now those I had tons of similar performance issues with, especially since GPUs (3d-cards, as they were called back here) were a new concept and especially the M&M games seemed to have a pretty hard time dealing with them.

https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm

This guy's patches are supposed to help quite a bit when it comes to running the older MM games on newer machines.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

I didn't end up putting points into perception on my meleers until later in the game. I did end up dumping some then though. I would say it probably averaged out to a split like +2 str/+1 per/+1 vit per level. My caster probably averaged somewhere around +2 mag/+1 spi/+1 vit per level. I focused more on spirit at the start, and pumped up the others later. My druid had master level mysticism, and ended up somewhere around 300 mana. I also had at least expert level endurance on all of my characters.

I am not saying that any of that is necessarily ideal, but it was enough to get me through the game on warrior. If anything, things got kind of easy starting in the low to mid 20s. Once you get your unlockable classes and grandmastery, you start shredding things. MVPs were probably my two elves. Blademaster for doing great damage and cutting people up, and druid for keeping everybody standing.

Along the same vein, is it ever worth pumping Destiny? Maybe with a dagger blademaster?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

A Wot I Think on MMX came out today.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/29/might-and-magic-x-review/

I'd been waiting to see RPS weigh in. I think they really hit the nail on the head with both the praise and the criticisms.

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of secret doors, what are the stats I need to bump to open them? Just the first 3 or is it all of them?

Getting really sick of bumping into walls in the first castle. Want to get that detect secrets companion (or the blessing) ASAP.

I think all of them require either Might, Magic or Perception. I saw on a forum that the most advanced secrets require 58 in a stat to open, after bonuses. How high can stats be buffed with magic? +10? Also, I thought there was some early quest hireling that is supposed to detect secret doors. Maybe I'm mistaken on that, but I remember having one with me when I was doing the Lighthouse.

vvvv Right, it's Rosalie, and she's temporary

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 30, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

What the heck is the point of hunter's expert air magic? Considering that bladedancers also have a single expert magic skill (albeit one that is much better for a non-mage), hunters don't really seem like hybrids at all.

They can get to Master Air, I think the combat classes are limited to at most Expert in a magic school. Crusader and Ranger can get Master Air too, though, and they have an extra Mastery/Grandmastery to go along with it. Most of the orc classes seem to be tooled more in favor of might than magic, so from a flavor standpoint it makes sense. In exchange the Hunter gets some good durability skills (GM Dodge, Endurance AND Arcane Discipline), and some nice utility with Harpoon. It would have been neat if they gave him something unique like Master Water or an additional Expert school, but maybe there was a balance reason for this.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Ineffable posted:

I'm about to pick this game up, but I was hoping to get some advice about my party. Right now I'm thinking about running a Bladedancer, a Barbarian, a Freemage and a Runepriest. Is this setup good? Would I be better off with a druid and not a runepriest?

If you want Nurture, a druid might work better, but that party composition is still quite viable, and the Rune Priest can still benefit as a healer from GM Earth. A lot of people like running a rune priest, they are good nukers, supports and can do decently well in melee for a casting class.

Ineffable posted:

Couple of questions beyond that, should all of my casters be using focuses, or will my runepriest be able to use a mace and a shield effectively?

How important is grandmastery over mastery when it comes to spell schools? I suppose what I mean is, am I better off getting grandmastery in a couple schools or mastery in several? I'm thinking particularly about my freemage: is it going to be worthwhile to get mastery in water magic? Grandmastery in air seems a given, but is grandmastery in primordial or dark magic worth the points over mastery?

Sorry about all the questions; I can't play the game for another few days so I'm sort of obsessing over my party setup.

Foci do very little damage for much of the game, but they boost casting stats and can't miss or be blocked. A runepriest with a mace shouldn't have any problems, but if you want to play him primarily as a nuker you might benefit from using a focus instead. In my game my rune priest is using a mace and my freemage has a focus.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

THE PWNER posted:

You can cheese secret doors and brute force them. Cast regeneration and just spam click until they work. Turns don't pass unless you're moving while out of combat, so the regen stays on forever. The perception buff from expert air (i think) also helps get this done faster.

Very useful tip, I added this to the OP. I've been making small updates here and there as this thread has gone on.

One thing I want to expand on some more is advice on stat development. For instance, does a Dwarven Defender need very much vitality? I've seen a few people indicate they'd be willing to trade off some of their overkill durability for an increased offensive output.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Dahbadu posted:

So I was looking for a list of secret doors, because the detection system seems kinda buggy. With WD on all the time, I've still managed to miss at least a good 30% of the secrets based on my progress and the non-official compilation from gamefaqs below.

Sweet list, added to OP.

Going to be streaming in a little bit, up until the Superbowl starts or so. Still in Act 1 as I haven't had a whole lot of time to play. Come and yak at me I'm doing something wrong, I'll be reading the chat. Twitch streams have a ~30 second lag by default now due to their new video system. The URL is http://www.twitch.tv/dhamster

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

dhamster posted:

Going to be streaming in a little bit, up until the Superbowl starts or so. Still in Act 1 as I haven't had a whole lot of time to play. Come and yak at me I'm doing something wrong, I'll be reading the chat. Twitch streams have a ~30 second lag by default now due to their new video system. The URL is http://www.twitch.tv/dhamster

Finally beat Act 1! The bandit dungeon was good fun, the castle too but it felt like more of a slog due to the volume of opponents. I think my party is really starting to grow into their roles, though. My Freemage has evolved from a support class to a competent nuker too, and my Sword blade dancer is now starting to crit and dodge things. I haven't decided yet if I want to develop my Rune Priest with a shield/mace or with foci; since she's my party's primary healer, I might want the extra defense from the shield instead of the bonus to spell crit. I like that my options in combat have expanded as much as I learn new spells. Lots of enemies? throw down poison spray and sparks. Break through blocks with Radiant Weapon. Punish spellcasters with Mana Surge. Control the enemy's positioning with entangling roots and gusts of wind. The boss fights are great, too: beatable, but hard enough to keep me hanging on by the skin of my teeth on Warrior difficulty. The archers that came out of nowhere against the Castle boss had me cursing, but it was satisfying to mow them down in pairs after focusing down the boss.

I've been stuck at the Novice level for a couple skills, but I'll look up the trainer locations for those before my next session.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm disappointed that this game doesn't have respawns and allow grinding. I know that that might sound daft, but the combat in this game is fairly enjoyable and I'm a completionist. Not being able to max out to level 40, unless everyone is really missing something, is a disappointment.

I thought I heard some areas respawn after about a month? I haven't gotten that far, though, and maybe it was a bug.

JustJeff88 posted:

I would like to propose, though, that in a few weeks/months when the excitement over this new game dies down that the OP rename this thread and we make it a Might & Magic megathread. I'd bet a hefty sum that this game's release will get people buying/playing the older M&M games, some again and some for the first time. Wizardry has its own thread that gets a fair amount of traffic, and since the M&M series is longer and has better presence outside of Japan I think that that would be a good evolution of this thread once the initial enthusiasm for Legacy cools down.

Agreed! I like that this thread serves as a defacto M&M Megathread, but we can make it official once most people have played the new game and have decided to give Xeen, MM6-8 and other titles a try. I think it would be neat to watch some streams of those older titles, as well.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So if I want to try out some of the other M&M games, is the 6 game collection on GOG a good place to start?

Definitely. There are players who will argue that 4-5 or 6 are their favorite titles in the series. Others think the high point was at MM7, which is sold separately for about $6.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually like Day of the Destroyer the most apart from the fact that you can't start with a full party, but that one is kind of the forgotten installment of the series. 1 & 2 are really dated and get overlooked because they are so inaccessible, 3 is good but is overshadowed by 4/5 which is amazing. In the "new generatiion", 6 is to 7 what 3 was to 4/5, and 9 is only mentioned with either anger or wistful sadness and disappointment. 8 and Swords of Xeen, which was a fanmod I think, kind of never get talked about much. VIII appeals to me a lot largely because of having a larger party size... I was never happy with 6/7/9/X going 4-man party and not shy about saying so.

I actually played VIII before VII because I got it as a gift many years ago, and enjoyed it quite a bit since I got to see all the improvements that MM7 brought to the engine. The ending felt a bit thrown together and the balance was a bit broken since you could recruit overleveled characters and overleveled dragons in the midgame, but it was still a good time.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

I have a really hard time skipping games in a series but given that Xeen doesn't really have any connection to the earlier games, I'll probably do that. It looks like 6 - 8 are pretty much their own entities as well, though I understand 7 has some connection to the party from 3. I'm just worried that Xeen might be way too long for me since it apparently dwarfs X.

MM1, 2 and 3 all take place in different worlds (VARN, CRON and Terra respectively). MM4-5 take place on Xeen and MM6-8 and Heroes 1-3 take place on Enroth. Heroes 4 and MM9 are set in Axeoth, and the games on different worlds are connected loosely by the series' sci-fi elements. Otherwise the games are perfectly enjoyable as standalone installments.

The Ubisoft titles (MMX, Dark Messiah, Heroes V-VI, Clash of Heroes) all take place on Ashan, which doesn't have the sci-fi stuff going on but appropriate some names and themes from past games.

Anyway what I'm saying is you can pick up anywhere in the series without missing anything, though MM6-8 and Heroes of MM 2-3 are connected nicely.

Morricone posted:

Anyone heard/read anything about how the game has sold? It'd make me very happy if this can be a small reboot of oldschool M&M, perhaps even get a bit larger budget than M&M.

http://steamcharts.com/top/p.2

It was around the top 30 most played games last week, it's about #43 as of this posting. Likewise it's been hanging around the top 20~30 best selling games for awhile since launch.

I'm not sure how that compares to what Ubi spent on development, but they probably didn't invest that much into this one.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

victrix posted:

Any opinions from MM fans on MM6 vs MM7?

MM6 is my personal favorite, but a lot of people really like MM7. MM7 had a wider selection of skills, races and classes, but gave you less flexibility on how to develop your party. MM7 gives you a few interesting choices on how to proceed in the storyline, but the finale felt a little anti-climactic (and felt a bit more rushed). Spells in MM7 are better balanced and scale better, and fixed bugs that made some spells in MM6 do basically nothing at all. On the flip side, non-casters in MM6 have a wider selection of spells: anyone can master any spell school they have access to, and spells aren't blocked off to certain mastery tiers. MM7's graphics were a bit better too.

Really I would just play both.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Madcosby posted:

I think the worst bug in the game is that stunned members do not get xp after a victory. I'm not sure if this is intended, but it's pretty lame. I hope it's a bug and I hope it gets fixed. The moral of my story is unconscious=no xp is fine, but stunned? gently caress that

Yeah it sucks. Try popping dispel magic before you win, that should clear stun on all your guys. I think burning determination (expert fire) prevents the stun state, as well.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

Know that I am watching you and silently judging... judging... judging...

Creepy warnings aside, that Mamush guy hits like a large truck filled with other, smaller trucks. He took your entire party from full HP to half in one stroke. Thank... someone for Regeneration and Celestial Armour

I like watching streams of this game, since it gives a little bit of a multiplayer component to an otherwise single-player game. Not to mention you get to see people running all kinds of different party composition.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Teslavi posted:

Yeah, I could see that being the case. I did use it a lot on my first playthrough but my build wasn't invested in magic. I'm not sure about it being stronger than fire blast, aside from the many enemies that resist fire, though.

Admittedly I did forget about celestial armor benefiting from magic (half the reason people run light magic), which is a massive oversight. I honestly couldn't see myself needing more healing than GM light magic naturally gives though. I still think Crusaders end up being the least reliant on magic compared to other GM magic users. I guess it's the beauty of being a decently designed hybrid class; I don't think you can really go wrong with a crusader unless you straight pump perception.

Might have to try a mandate of heaven blender with 1 full magic crusader, 2 100 mana blade dancers with mana drain weapons and a mageslayer ranger.

What about throwing in a Freemage to get Agony in on the mix?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

What would be the most viable all-might party? I feel like an all-hybrid run wouldn't be too bad, thanks to how flexible those classes seem to be.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I was thinking 2h mace barbarian, 2h spear barbarian, dagger blademaster, sword blademaster

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Streaming again soon! About to start Act 2.

http://www.twitch.tv/dhamster

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Toward the end of my stream I started getting a bug where some of my sound effects weren't playing. I was getting party barks and some buff sound effects, but I couldn't hear my guys swinging swords or firing arrows, and the monsters weren't making sound either when they were attacking me. It was fine all through Act 1 and nearly halfway through Act 2 so I don't really know what happened.

I was getting some intermittent frame rate issues too but I'm not really sure what they were connected to. My first trip through seahaven was pretty choppy to look at, but my second one was pretty manageable.

e: The sound issue fixed itself when I closed out of MMX and Uplay, then reloaded the game.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 10, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm playing M&M6 right now and while I don't mind the graphics, the controls are complete garbage.

Just do what I do and run around in real-time mode like a madman mashing A (attack) and S (quickspell) as needed. I think C opens up the spellbook in case you need to pull up a healing spell or something.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

shalcar posted:

Update on the upcoming patch:

Which all looks pretty good to me. Hopefully they keep up the support and iron out all the little kinks.

Yeah, if they do even a fraction of what they set out to do with that patch I'll be pretty happy. Especially if they really do have performance improvements.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Any improvement in performance? I tried looking on the SPUF for players' experiences with the patch but didn't find anything useful.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Sloober posted:

King's Bounty: The Legend and King's Bounty: Crossworlds, specifically.

Legend is fun and light and has a goofy sense of humor, but you have to learn that you won't be able to fight everything from the getgo. Same with Crossworlds, which is Armored Princess with an expansion that adds a bunch of new content and balance fixes (so play Crossworlds over Armored Princess, as the former has all the content of the latter plus more).

I played a little bit of KB:The Legend awhile back and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd recommend it for a fan of the older HoMM titles

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Is this guy on the money when it comes to choosing settings to mitigate stuttering? If so I might put it in the OP. It sounds like he did a lot of tooling around with the options.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558748653725178650/

quote:

I messed around with the ingame settings a few hours running the game on a single 560ti and reduced the stuttering to a still horrible but playable rate. Put everything on ultra and very high, put shadows on low, viewdistance 40, set the main viewdistance very high instead of ultra, disable land shadows, disable any type of Fxaa (that causes much heat), disable HDR and V-Sync. Finaly i set max fps at 31 getting a lower but stable rate. Reducing object-landdetail results in higher frames but constant beeing loaded into the ram causes lag.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

My cynic-sense was tingling... did anyone else get a bad feeling from the fact that Legacy went on sale for a bit a few days ago? I interpreted that to mean that the game wasn't selling well and they lowered the price a bit to try and get some more buys.

Mind you, this is Ubisoft, so I would not be surprised if they just have ridiculous sales expectations despite a tiny dev budget, limited programming team, and the fact that it's an IP that's been inactive so long that only a very niche audience would be drawn to it.

I thought the sale was meant to coincide with the first patch.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Washout posted:

Is there a good trainer out there for this yet? I just want to be able to rejigger my skill points if I gently caress everything up.

edit: I am aghast that there is no where I can find respawning monsters early in the game to grind gold/xp. I can't even afford to buy the spells and expert skills I need!! (playing on hard)

I'm partway through Act 2 (since I'm really taking my sweet time to finish the game), and I feel like I'm just now at the point where gold isn't as tight as it used to be. Prior to that point I'd bankrupt myself every time I walked into the spells shop. So that part gets better.

I think some users on the SPUF or the Ubisoft forums found a way to mess with some text file configs in the game to change stuff around, but I'm not sure if that part is true for savegames.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Fire GM runelords are supposed to put out a lot of punishment, barbarians might hit hard now too thanks to the buffs to two-hand weapons.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

It might be this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558748653725178650/

I would put it in the OP but I couldn't get anyone to confirm that it worked

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

All right, so I've been cruising the SPUF to try and find some possible fixes to performance problems. A lot of it is in the game's optimization, but a few users seem to have found some stuff that worked for them to some extent:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558748653725178650/

quote:

I messed around with the ingame settings a few hours running the game on a single 560ti and reduced the stuttering to a still horrible but playable rate. Put everything on ultra and very high, put shadows on low, viewdistance 40, set the main viewdistance very high instead of ultra, disable land shadows, disable any type of Fxaa (that causes much heat), disable HDR and V-Sync. Finaly i set max fps at 31 getting a lower but stable rate. Reducing object-landdetail results in higher frames but constant beeing loaded into the ram causes lag.

"Everything on ultra and very high, shadows on low, viewdistance 40, main viewdistance very high instead of ultra, disable land shadows, disable fxaa, disable HDR and Vsync, max FPS 31, reduce object-landdetail"

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#c558746995094430276

quote:

Anytime you have performance issue first start by making a custom profile within Nvidia control panel.

Select all your AA settings very high
Power high
Define your primary GPU
Test with / without Vsync
Threaded Optimization Off

In-game settings, start with..

No AA
No Shadows
Textures and everything else maxed

Use that as a baseline and try a few small adjustments if needed.

Another recommendation to crank up textures and turn down AA/shadows.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238750/discussions/0/558746089016714487/#c558748822628910730

quote:

Stuttering can generally be fixed by increasing the number of maximum pre-rendered frames in your Nvidia control panel's profile for the game. Try setting it to 3, possibly 4, and see if that has an impact. Keep in mind I'm talking only about stuttering and not about just frame drops.

Additionally, one user is claiming that this problem is largely connected to NVidia GPUs, and another is saying that new drivers have been helping. Not sure if either of those statements are true.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Yeah, even though the plot was pretty weak in many of the NWC titles, at least the writing that was there was well-done.

Humor in HOMM2: A wizard calls down a lightning strike on a boat carrying the seer. His death is described as a "tragic boating accident."

Humor in MMX: In the first town there is an NPC that tells jokes. :airquote:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Konsek posted:

There's going to be some DLC, The Falcon And The Unicorn.

I'm still in act 2, haven't touched the game in over a month because of real life, but I'm glad to be able to get back into it easily now. I'm wondering though, does the order of the party members at the bottom matter, like the characters on the far left or right, do they take more damage when you're flanked?

I'm in the same boat as you are, I am still somewhere in act 2 or 3, just because I have been distracted by other things after release. Looking forward to the DLC and future patches though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

The survey was pretty long: I had to start over at one point since my mobile battery drained in the middle of my first try. Still, I liked filling it out, they seemed to put some thought into the different feedback sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

I definitely put Will Not Buy to everything that wasn't an rpg on that survey.

Was any of the endless M&M spin offs NWC at all successful besides Heroes? If you look at the wiki page for all "Might and Magic" games there is just so much console shovelware.

Crusaders of Might and Magic was pretty bad. Also something something branding intellectual property name recognition.

• Locked thread