Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone figured out how to: 1 - get the the area in the bottom left of level 2 of Castle Potmeyron? 2 - open the door in the top right of level 2?
If you're talking about a locked door, there's a key in a chest behind a secret wall you have to bash down in one of the corner coridoors. Remember you need Whispering Secrets active to see secret walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I kind of feel they missed something when they made Spirit Beacon. The best part of Lloyd's beacon was that it was coupled with Town portal to drop a beacon, portal out and sell/heal, the beacon back in. As it is, I'm at the top of the mountains near Sudgerd with a full inventory, so if I recall to my beacon back in Karthal I have to go all the way back to the mountains, or if I drop the beacon here, then I have to go all the way to town myself and then beacon back.

I instead opted to just keep destroying white items and only keeping the magical ones, because the other ways just suck. It just seems wrong.

Edit - or two Lloyd's beacons worked well rather than TP to also solve this problem

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Arkeus posted:

So, i am in Falagar's House level 2, and i apparently need a cog to pull a lever or something. I have no idea where i can find it. Help please?

The cog is on the back side of a statue that you can walk full circle around, in a tiny chest.

I actually had the opposite problem, where I found the cog really quickly but it took me 3 laps of the mansion to find the lever

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
That and the random female villager yelling 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!' when you're walking around in town. Ugh.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Arkeus posted:

Huh... i don't know where that part is. Is it on level 2? I guess i'll go back there then.

EDIT: Can't find it :-(

I still have that opened chest that glow on the level 1 though...

It's in one of the tiny chests on the floor one tile left of the actual chest where the mermaid boss was, you have to be facing straight into the wall and it'll zoom down. It's probably the worst instance of hiding a must-have item in the game, I would've never found it either if it wasn't for this thread saying it was in that dungeon.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Man, I promoted my shaman to Bloodcaller, and their passive ability is ridiculous! In those extreme fights where enemies just keep coming, my other 3 party members end it on 0 mana and my Bloodcaller is back on full every couple of turns, I can hit regeneration every turn like it's Heal Party, and drop liquid membrane and that water aoe spell like sparks any turn we don't need to heal (which, with liquid membrane and regeneration, is a lot of them'.

Flat out better for healing than my rune priest now, but on the other hand once my rune priest got promoted she can cast the fire grandmaster spell which does 600+ damage to everyone adjacent. Role reversal AGAIN!

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

The Joe Man posted:

I was going to do Magic Focus and put a one-handed focus in his off/shield-hand but it looks like all the focus "weapons" are two-handed.
Master magical focus let's you equip 2 1handed foci

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Whats up with the shrines that say "come pray on the day of X". I've visited the shrine before and gotten "the party prays to X" and it was for sure not on the day of X. It was just a random day. Now the shrine says "nothing happens" when I click on it, so I guess I did the right thing.

If you pray at all of them you get a heavy armour relic. That's all, nothing else.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Konsek posted:

When I cast, say, Sundering, it says it affects enemies "within a range of 3 tiles". But it only affects the enemy 1 tile in front of me, not the enemy 1 tile diagonal to me. Is it bugged, or does it not affect diagonally placed enemies, or am I missing something?

It means 3 in a straight line, there's a fire master spell that works the same way

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

ShadowHawk posted:

Are all the relics generally best in slot when fully leveled? What about the two handed staff relic vs two one handed magic foci?

No, not at all. You should always be weighing up their stats. For example, the staff relic is ok for mid-game, but you're finding staves that do 30 elemental damage and give +4 to spell schools very soon after. I'm still actually using the relic one though, as it gives a block which has saved my freemage from being knocked out a few times, but to be honest it's definitely not the superior choice

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Markkei posted:

I reload if an enemy dies and there's one party member who doesn't receive exp, and even then my party's leveling is staggered quite a bit. My blademaster is like, 1000 exp ahead of everyone else. Not exactly sure what causes it.

Getting the killing blow awards extra xp. A minimal amount, but I guess it added up.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Thuryl posted:

Hey, so I've now finished the game and done everything except The Forbidden Saga, for which I've got one book left to find even after picking up the one in the final dungeon. Where's the book for Might and Magic 7?

This is from pages ago, but if you never found it Thuryl, I'm 90% sure I found it in a shipwreck, and not the Sun Hind or the one near Seahaven, the third one (near sorpigal maybe?).

That said I'm going entirely off memory from over a week ago :shrug:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I had a weird incident where the door to Castle Portmeyron wasn't activatable, so I ended up having to go through the Karthal sewers into the lost city and from there into the castle to turn in the main quest and get the next step. I came back a few hours later after questing in other areas, across a few loading screens, and it was activatable again. Try just continuing on as normal and coming back?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

-Blackadder- posted:

What level are you guys getting Armor, Endurance, and Dodge to on your respective characters?

I'm planning on a Bladedancer, Barbarian, Freemage, and Druid party. I've got my spell lines figured out but I'm having trouble deciding on how much I should invest in Armor, Endurance, and Dodge on any of them.

I went for maximum spells/weapons with my party and only put points into endurance and medium armour after having all the things I wanted GMd, with the exception of expert heavy on my defender early on, to offset some of the - attack penalty from his armor. With a shaman and a rune priest for two healers, it was perfectly fine, and I did much better smacking things for more than building for survivability, if I needed hp I could put some points into vitality.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Luisfe posted:

How the gently caress do I deal with the spider boss on lost city floor 3.

Seriously, it instagibs my party from range. And I had no issues with the mobs in the area.

Arcane ward will lower it's ranged damage, liquid membrane is just amazing in general, and having celestial armour and regeneration on before you trigger it's cutscene are all great options.

There's a huge difference between a buffed vs unbuffed party, mine goes from 'rune priest can be one-shot by bosses straight to dead, not even unconscious' to 'just press 1 until they all fall down'

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I was feeling pretty leftout with my defender doing 200-400 damage when people are saying their blademaster is hitting for over 1000 every turn, then I had a massive amount of points leftover on my Freemage and decided to just throw it into going from expert to GM magical focus. That plus the fact she's using the relic staff with +6magicfocus, and rings for a combination of a further +7, chain lightning against two targets is critting for over 1300 in the tomb of a thousand terrors. 'Oh, an ambush fight, chain lightning, fire blast, ok next group' :hellyeah:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
I'm reasonably sure it was the guild in Karthal near the church that sold the master spells. What was also annoying was going to each different guild trying to find the GM spells later on.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Serious Frolicking posted:

Master and grandmaster spells of a given school both come from the same shop. Sorpigal has light and crag has fire, but I'm not sure about the rest.
Crag also has air.
Karthal had spirit beacon so I guess it also has primal GM, never got it myself.
Karthal slums would then have Dark

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Nakar posted:

I think one of the spells you can cast causes the gargoyles on the UI to move when there's a trap or secret around. I can't recall the specifics, but the cue is the gargoyles.
Clairvoyance is the spell, it'll make the Gargoyles shake their heads if activatable things like barrels are just going to be poison instead of delicious +stat juice, or switches being bad for you etc. Worth noting that they'll still shake their head if something is like 50damage but also gain an entire level, so they're not infallible.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Tabletops posted:

Rune priest is fun, but searing rune (unless I'm retarded) is loving terrible. You have to be in melee range to use it, and the next turn it goes off it loving destroys your own team. What the fucks the point of that?

Or atleast, It says its cast on a enemy unit within range of 1. I didn't expect it to damage me when I used it earlier and killed one of my characters for the first time so far. Was kind of funny though. I guess if it can be cast without an enemy near by then I'd use it
Its actually got a range of two,you can cast it where it'll damage only enemies and not you, and it can be goddamn bananas sometimes, aoeing down entire rooms of backup that never gets to you.

It does however have a bug where sometimes it'll just take your mana, leaving you with your turn still so you try to cast it 4 times thinking the game is slow, but you'll actually just use all your mana. The only fix for it I've found is attacking with the rune priest, if you try to cast another characters spells it'll do the same mana draining thing.

Metos fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Brackhar posted:

Just finished the game last night. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but the overall story on this seems pretty weak. What's the reward for praying at all of the dragon statues on the right days?
A relic set of heavy armour

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
The cave is used for the Defender promotion quest, and pre-patch it was possible to ruin that quest by going there ahead of time. Guess that's their solution for that too.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Pretty sure you get a stack of 10 dispel magic scrolls before then, which dispels paralysis. Also if you have fire magic, burning determination will stop you from being paralysed at all. Also, that's literally the end of that act and you're heading back to town anyway, what's the problem?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Might and magic 7 still holds up pretty well in my own opinion, I still play it about once a year. Its got a much better progression system than MMX, there's utility skills like disarm trap and identify item that you need to level as well as your damage dealing so you end up feeling much better when you reach new tiers, there's two different levels of promotion for each class which gives a much cooler skill gating system than just the one in MMX, as well as the plot of the second half is actually meaningful and you're actually involved in it.

That said it has its quirks of course, some schools of magic are flat out better than others, but you won't realise how much so your first play through as it takes a little sideways thinking to get the most out of it, and there are many instances of just clearly too many enemies placed in an area (eg troglodytes under stone city). But nothing that isn't compensated just by having access to Arcomage.

If you're a veteran of it, there's actually even two different mods which completely change the game, eg all new quests, promotions being different and therefore gating of skills is different, and in fact moving all the trainers around accomplishes a surprising amount of different play. I believe they're called RevMod by BigDaddyJim and MaestroMod by Vladimir. I ran into a game stopping bug in Maestro 90% through the game, but BDJ's MM6 mod where the whole game was changed and the main villain were Drow worked perfectly, no experience yet in his MM7 one.

Metos fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 3, 2014

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Psykmoe posted:

I think it's finally time for me to replay MM VI, since I got it with the Deluxe version and I'm hugely nostalgic for it. Anyone got any starting advice? I remember playing Paladin/Archer/Cleric/Sorcerer back in the day but I'm considering replacing the Paladin with a Knight to give him a lot of utility skills since he doesn't need to put anything in magic. Not sure what mix of caster classes to go for.

And are there any spell schools to avoid or get for sure? Last times I played VI I just kind of muddled through without knowing anything about anything.
Here's a run-down of the spell schools, its also applicable to MM7.

As mentioned by another poster above, Air is far and away the best school. Not only does it have Fly, Sparks manages to be one of the best early-game nukes, the best mid-game nuke, and pretty much only eclipsed by Shrapmetal in late game after maxing out Dark, or Implosion (another air spell). Its also capable of stopping enemies from moving in turn based combat by hitting an earlier-laid spark when its their movement phase, and costs so little mana with so tiny a recharge time that you'll actually end up using it instead of Shrapmetal in late game to plow through everything. If I recall right, you can even master air for free without even putting in the usual required 12 skill points, as eligibility is based off the Corlagen's Estate quest, which is relatively easy except for one lich. MM7 makes Air even more irreplaceable by adding Invisibility, which is just plain amazing.

Then comes water, for Poison Spray/Acid Burst to sparks-immune enemies - they both use Poison as a damage type instead of Water or something like that so they're pretty great for dealing with all types of elementals. Plus Town Portal and Enchant Item are amazing (sitting by the fountain at Myst with master water enchanting everything you found after a dungeon upgrades pretty much all of your gear)

Fire does ok damage to rooms with Inferno, but nothing else worth talking about until Conflagrate except for Torch Light to be honest.

Earth can be avoided entirely with no worries except for stone to flesh.

Dark has Shrapmetal and Dragon's Breath which are huge damage output but with a long recharge time, along with Day of Protection, but doesn't quite shine as much as in VII without Soul Drinker.

Light has Day of the Gods for the other half of the buffs, and Paralyze, which trivialises the entire game as it works on everything.

Self schools:
Body does healing, and Power Cure is incredible. Everything else is pretty much worthless except for the cure status effect spells. Yeah, you think Harm sounds great, but they'll just disappoint you. MM7 changes this with Preservation added to spirit magic, which is vital later on, and making Body magic even better by adding to what Protection from Magic does.

If I was playing it again I'd probably do Knight/Druid/Cleric/Sorc or Knight/Archer/Cleric/Sorc, while parties like C/S/S/S are not just possible but pretty much incredible, the game will feel pretty off if you're just ignoring every melee weapon or heavy piece of armour around, I feel much better with a big tank up in front and if you're using master enchanting then you'll be making some incredible '+6d12 poison damage' or something ridiculous Lionheart swords for the knight and he'll remain respectable throughout. Afterall, the game's not about 'what can I do the blow it up the fastest' its about what'll be fun.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Chinook posted:

Is this going to be a decent party build for the easier difficulty? Am I missing anything huge? I feel like healing is covered by the Crusader and Freemage, and the Scout/Crusader can pick up the extra melee damage that the Blademaster can't cover.

I'd especially appreciate tips on where I should be putting my stat points with these classes, and where I might want to start putting skill points too. (or if I've mis-assigned any!)

That party will be fine, basically the rule of skills is pump the main damage skills at the beginning, eg air for freemage and swords for crusader etc, throw in some survivability for everyone and spirit on casters before then pumping the damage stats including perception for melee-ers, the end. If you're waiting on a 'pump spirit till 150mana then put magic until X with Y points of vitality every level' kind of rule you're over thinking it for adventurer difficulty.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Chinook posted:

Thanks. As far as survivability goes, would you recommend Destiny over Vitality or to keep them at the same level?

Also, Might vs. Perception for melee, keep them at the same level, generally?

Thanks again. :)
Vitality way over destiny.
Perception is your chance to hit so basically hit up might until you start to miss enough to be annoyed by it, then throw in perception.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
It took me just under 20 minutes in my morning commute to work. Some very strange questions where you can see they're trying to gauge interest to judge trying to break into a lot of currently-popular markets, eg a M&M Moba or RTS, so I think more M&M games is a certainty, but most importantly I hope every single one of you is ticking that Arcomage box.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
If you only have 2 spellcasters, shaman is probably a better choice.

That said I ran with a shaman, rune priest, and freemage, and all 3 casters together were AMAZING.

At the end of the game when the shaman is throwing up liquid membrane, regeneration and poison, the rune priest is dropping searing runes and flame blasts, which are hitting the same area the freemage has dropped a Cyclone and the other duration aoe spell, thunderstorm? And if they got out of range? Tsunami back onto it. It was ridiculous. The only regret of that party was picking a defender instead of a bladedancer

Metos fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Crushing weight was never a useful spell to me except for in that one dlc dungeon that had the guy with way too much hp, so to be honest I'm not sure if taking Earth to GM is necessary. While regeneration and poison are definitely spells for champs, I found that once I was near endgame my shaman was casting water far more often and using the other earth spells wasn't as attractive a prospect, so I didn't find the spell damage bonus for GM useful either.

• Locked thread