Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
^I will ask the person who implemented the half-arsed joystick controls for testing and forgot to take them out to fix that for the next build.

thomawesome posted:

Just played for the first time tonight. I am dying for a Jedi Knight pack.

So are we! Star Trek-inspired stuff is planned too. Not in the first round of packs that we're working on but definitely on the list for future stuff.

InfiniteJesters posted:

Any possibility of a medieval tileset for us Heretic/Hexen/Thief fans in the audience? :)
A Heretic/Hexen-inspired set is the very next thing on the list after Too Rockin'. It'll be extra diabolic, the idea being that you can combine the Quakeish and Hereticish packs to get something Doomy.

Thief is further down on the shortlist and has some really cool weapons planned for it so I'm looking forward to that one.

Hooray! Thanks to everyone who helped me hassle them.

Fib I'll look into your thing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

The Radix posted:

A Heretic/Hexen-inspired set is the very next thing on the list after Too Rockin'. It'll be extra diabolic, the idea being that you can combine the Quakeish and Hereticish packs to get something Doomy.

Thief is further down on the shortlist and has some really cool weapons planned for it so I'm looking forward to that one.

Excellent.

On that note, the Quake and Bioshock tilesets go together surprisingly well.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

The Radix posted:

^I will ask the person who implemented the half-arsed joystick controls for testing and forgot to take them out to fix that for the next build.

Awesome, cool.

Me and a couple of friends had a really good time goofing around in this yesterday.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fredrik1 posted:

Awesome, cool.

Me and a couple of friends had a really good time goofing around in this yesterday.

:rolleye: All hail the eyebox :rolleye:

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.
How does the map list work? I can't seem to go beyond page 2 and none of my maps appear there, even though they're published.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Destra posted:

How does the map list work? I can't seem to go beyond page 2 and none of my maps appear there, even though they're published.

It seems to be bugged for some people right now. Sorry. Next update (tomorrow hopefully) will fix that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
These tilesets are loving amazing. You should just call this "First Person Nostalgia" instead :haw:

Bioshock, Team Fortress, Quake, Wolf3D, Heretic, with Turok, Star Trek, Jedi Knight coming?

Its everything I ever wanted :allears:

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
This looks absolutely incredible. You captured the low-bit era FPS textures and enemy design perfectly. :gizz: Donated in a heartbeat.

Just a nitpicky suggestion but the HUD looks a bit too HD to fit into the nostalgic kind of game you've got going on. Maybe low-res it up and nostalgify that part too to bring the full experience?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Neat, I was actually considering something similar but with Doom-style maps instead of Minecraft-style blocks. I'm broke right now, so all I can offer is feedback, but there's currently a rather big problem with the menus, even for placeholders: There's no quit button!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MONKET posted:

Just a nitpicky suggestion but the HUD looks a bit too HD to fit into the nostalgic kind of game you've got going on. Maybe low-res it up and nostalgify that part too to bring the full experience?

If you do this you absolutely need to add a head for the center of the HUD that looks left and right and reacts to things.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I pitched in $25, this looks awesome. Thanks for making this for Mac as well.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Any chance in hell of this having controller support and splitscreen multiplayer? This looks like it would be a great couch deathmatch game.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Cheesegod: thanks dude!

MONKET: I agree, we had an earlier version of this HUD that I liked more; it was even higher fidelity but it had this rounded black and white comic booky look that was actually a pretty nice contrast to the rest of the blocky world. What we have now isn't ideal. In the near-ish future we'll have a customisation screen of some sort for it (personally I like HUDs that are just a couple of tiny coloured text labels next to the reticule), and I know at one point we were even talking about having HUDs in theme packs, which would mean either you could choose a HUD style from the themes you own or level creators could pick one to inflict on you depending on what kind of feel they're going for in their level. I'm not sure if that's a great idea but we should revisit the themed HUDs thing at some point for sure.

Keiya posted:

I'm broke right now, so all I can offer is feedback, but there's currently a rather big problem with the menus, even for placeholders: There's no quit button!
Should be fixed today! The current update is coming along well and will include a bunch of interface fixes. CTF mode is looking fun. I'm worried there won't be time to finish off the Final Fortress weapons and the physics changes necessary for slopes and angled walls, but we'll do the new build today regardless because some of these fixes are pretty important.

Lagomorphic posted:

Any chance in hell of this having controller support and splitscreen multiplayer? This looks like it would be a great couch deathmatch game.
There's a fair chance! There's currently (bad, just for testing) controller support and we were recently approved as PS4/Xbox developers and afaik are in various stages of the approval process with Gunscape for both so, while nothing is certain yet, if the game ends up on at least one console it'd make sense to do splitscreen and to support it in the PC version too.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
My friend and I tried playing but we keep running into an error where his game crashes every time some of note happens- such as getting killed, killing me, or even pulling the trigger. We can connect and see each other fine until that point and are using the lastest release.
We assume it's just alpha instability, but maybe it's interacting with a firewall or something else? It works fine for both of us walking around the levels alone and I haven't found any games to hop into to test otherwise.

Other minor quibble are some of the weapon sounds. Not to sound too much like a whiny baby but the sound effects for picking up lighting ammo and using the chainsaw are just abrasive (in a non-fun way). Is there chance of adding a volume slider in the next release or using a slightly less pitched sound effect?

The level editor is still fun to faff about in so far though.

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.
I love the coloured lighting. I think I may have gone a bit overboard with the new toys in the latest update, though.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

That looks like a hallway in Black Mesa.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I really really like the look of this game. Despite being block based I don't think it looks like Minecraft or its knockoffs at all.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
After playing it a bit more this morning, I changed my donation to $70. drat this is game is awesome. I still haven't even played around with the editor yet.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
What's really cool is that due to the low-fi art style all of the themes can mix and match well. I actually found thatthe Final Fortress decoration bits work well with Bathyscape's more metal environments.

I finished my first deathmatch level I feel comfortable sharing, Wetdocks. It takes place between a docking area in Bathyscape and a sort of reception area. I wanted to focus on tight environments with plenty of ambush opportunities.

(For some bizarre reason it's listed as being created by "Extenze" however, despite my player name being Segfault.)

Also, a suggestion for handling weapon switching: having it all controlled by mouse wheel would be extremely tedious, what with 38 weapons. Therefore I think the best way to do it would be to have a sort of Half-Life method of switching weapons. 1 cycles through melee weapons, 2 cycles through metal weapons, 3 cycles through energy weapons, 4 cycles through chemical weapons, and 5 cycles through consumables like grenades and turrets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Also, a suggestion for handling weapon switching: having it all controlled by mouse wheel would be extremely tedious, what with 38 weapons. Therefore I think the best way to do it would be to have a sort of Half-Life method of switching weapons. 1 cycles through melee weapons, 2 cycles through metal weapons, 3 cycles through energy weapons, 4 cycles through chemical weapons, and 5 cycles through consumables like grenades and turrets.

I'd say this, plus assignable hotkeys for specific weapons, because sometimes you want to switch to a specific thing in a hurry.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:

LackinPants! posted:

My friend and I tried playing but we keep running into an error where his game crashes every time some of note happens- such as getting killed, killing me, or even pulling the trigger. We can connect and see each other fine until that point and are using the lastest release.
We assume it's just alpha instability, but maybe it's interacting with a firewall or something else? It works fine for both of us walking around the levels alone and I haven't found any games to hop into to test otherwise.

This is me, and it happens in every multiplayer game I host or connect to. I can run around and get pickups just fine, but as soon as another player connects, I shoot at another player or I get shot, the screen goes black or I get frozen, ripped artifacts across it - but I can still see the HUD and the FPS counter in the bottom-right is still active. I can hit Esc, so the game itself isn't exactly crashing, but the mouse pointer isn't available to hit Quit and I have to Alt+F4 out anyway. LackinPants! says when it happens I'm immediately shown as disconnected.

Single player crafting and testing is 100% stable. I've made sure the .exe is getting a pass through my firewall and I'm running it as admin.

That said I'm having a ball in the level editor alone. It's a blast.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lagomorphic posted:

The Radix posted:

There's a fair chance! There's currently (bad, just for testing) controller support and we were recently approved as PS4/Xbox developers and afaik are in various stages of the approval process with Gunscape for both so, while nothing is certain yet, if the game ends up on at least one console it'd make sense to do splitscreen and to support it in the PC version too.
This would be glorious, splitscreen on PC would be great what with Valve's push into the living room.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cicero posted:

This would be glorious, splitscreen on PC would be great what with Valve's push into the living room.

Definitely. There aren't enough splitscreen PC games (or local multiplayer PC games in general), and I think this game would be a big hit among my friends and I for that. Get together and make something cool in co-op build mode, and then play with it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Definitely. There aren't enough splitscreen PC games (or local multiplayer PC games in general), and I think this game would be a big hit among my friends and I for that. Get together and make something cool in co-op build mode, and then play with it.

I wonder if that doesn't own to PC games traditionally being keyboard+mouse, and it being tricky to get two mice working independently on a machine, and most keyboards have very limited multiple key rollover.
(I remember many years ago having a breakout clone on Windows that supported local two-player, with the second player being controlled by a serial port mouse which the game was reading directly, around any drivers. I think this was on Windows 95.)

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

nielsm posted:

I wonder if that doesn't own to PC games traditionally being keyboard+mouse, and it being tricky to get two mice working independently on a machine, and most keyboards have very limited multiple key rollover.
(I remember many years ago having a breakout clone on Windows that supported local two-player, with the second player being controlled by a serial port mouse which the game was reading directly, around any drivers. I think this was on Windows 95.)

Yeah that would be the reason but it's pretty easy to get an xbox controller going at this point. Also the whole steam big picture/steam box is making it pretty easy to get what I want out of a console with just a PC. I just want more 4 player splitscreen shooters. Of course these are becoming pretty rare on consoles these days as well now that online multiplayer is a big thing.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I played with Hoax69 for a bit. Pretty nice guy. We had fun rocket jumping out of the intended play area of the map we were in.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Pro tip: Hitting "r" while mousing over a block in create mode will make that block rotate. This is invaluable for getting patterns to line up properly, getting a statue to face the right way, or anything else involving direction.

All this time I thought the only way to control orientation was to face a certain direction while placing the block, but no longer!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
This is great. Backed it.

One suggestion: a little more forward momentum on the jumps. I keep coming up short and falling because my first instinct is to let go of "forward" a little early and let momentum carry me, like in other FPSes. Having to hold down the forward button until I've actually landed doesn't feel right.

edit: Also, thank you for supporting Macs. I don't even have my PC plugged in these days, so Gunscape being available for OS X is nice.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I thought I'd finally give this a go today, so I downloaded the Linux version since that's the main OS I use. I unzipped the files, but I have no idea what I'm meant to do with them. I couldn't find any instructions on the website or any readme file or anything in the download. How do you make it go? :confused:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You just launch the game. The file gunscape-v.whatever.x86 is an executable.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Loving the new banner ad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc Block posted:

You just launch the game. The file gunscape-v.whatever.x86 is an executable.

If I double-click it I get a dialogue box pop up that says "There is no application installed for executable files. Do you want to search for an application to open this file?"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK, make sure it's got executable permissions. Or try running it from the command line.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc Block posted:

IDK, make sure it's got executable permissions. Or try running it from the command line.

How do you do either of those things?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Time to learn Linux if you're going to use it as your primary OS.

edit: to be less dickish, how to check the permissions will depend on your Linux distro. With some you can just right-click on a file, go to Properties or whatever, and see/change the file permissions. Or you can do it from the command line.

How to get to the command line will, again, depend on your distro. There's usually a program called something like Terminal that will bring up a command line window.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 11, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Yeah it'll be the permissions.

Doc Block posted:

This is great. Backed it.

One suggestion: a little more forward momentum on the jumps. I keep coming up short and falling because my first instinct is to let go of "forward" a little early and let momentum carry me, like in other FPSes. Having to hold down the forward button until I've actually landed doesn't feel right.

edit: Also, thank you for supporting Macs. I don't even have my PC plugged in these days, so Gunscape being available for OS X is nice.

Sweet, thanks! I agree about the forward momentum now that you mention it. As I've implied I'm hesitant to gently caress with the player physics too much at this point but something like that would be a good idea and not break anything. I should probably also add in a couple frames of airtime before you fall to make platforming feel a little nicer (this used to be in but I removed it for some reason, maybe I'll remember why while I'm doing it).

This week has been pretty intense but there's some cool stuff going in or about to go in.
2-Flag CTF (capture the fish) is now playable and mostly debugged, and I've heard it's fun? Although you can have up to 50 flags so "2-flag" is kinda misleading. I'll probably reduce this limit. I don't think you need 50 flags.
One-way teleporters exist, and might go in today if there's a new build going up, but there won't be an interface to set their channel for another couple of days. This means for now (if they're in the build) you can place them but you'll only be able to have one pair, or one exit and multiple entrances, or multiple exits which are used at random.

Some of you might have noticed all the new TF2-inspired props. Gonna do a bit more on this theme pack and move onto single-player stuff like the trigger system interface and monsters. (All of which will work in multiplayer.) The TF2-inspired pack has a cool scissor lift block that works as an elevator but it won't me much use to anybody until the trigger interface is in.

Sorry that I haven't been replying to things as quickly lately! I pass on every bug/whatever people report here or in IRC but if you have any major issues the playgunscape.com forums is the best place to get things sorted fast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Doc Block posted:

Time to learn Linux if you're going to use it as your primary OS.

People often find this hard to believe but I actually use Linux specifically because you don't have to learn anything to use it. I use Linux Mint and practically everything I wanted worked right out of the box. Almost everything else I just go into package manager, type what I'm looking for and click install and it just does it. Everything updates automatically through the one central update manager thing. There have been maybe two or three things I couldn't get like that and they came with instructions. It's way simpler and more streamlined than any version of Windows I've used, and the interface is minimal and intuitive and everything's just easy to use.

Properties -> Permissions turned out to be the right place to look and it runs now.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Tbh if you're looking for "just works" Linux is the last place to go.

The tech enthusiast in me is just shocked that you don't know what chmod is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tbh if you're looking for "just works" Linux is the last place to go.

That's what everyone seems to think but Linux Mint is literally the simplest, most straight-forward OS I have ever used. I haven't tried a Mac recently, but Windows 7 and Vista were both absolutely awful. Completely unintuitive and requiring all sorts of bullshitting around to get them halfway functional. I actually quite like Windows 8 (although 8.1 is a step backwards) but it still doesn't measure up to Mint. I do wish Mint had a start screen like Windows 8 instead of the menu though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Isn't Linux Mint the distro that doesn't install kernel updates by default? Enjoy your security issues.

To end the derail, something that would be nice to have for Gunscape is the ability to control the brightness and radius of lights. Sure, you can place a few lights right next to (or on top of) each other, but the radius doesn't really increase when you do that so you wind up with a 6x6 (or whatever) section that's superbright and then immediately falls off to black. It'd be nice to be able to have dark hallways and yet not have the entire level be super dark or have to place a billion lights.

Also, the ability to turn off the distance darkening.

• Locked thread