Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

So I stumbled into this thread a while ago and check it again every now and then because it looks so nostalgic and rad. I don't have a PC capable of running *any* games, really, so I didn't expect to ever get to play it and was just soaking up the nostalgia from the screenshots. Now I see apparently it's being published through ID@Xbox on the One? Couldn't possibly be more thrilled. Can't wait to pick this up. Looks awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

So I stumbled into this thread a while ago and check it again every now and then because it looks so nostalgic and rad. I don't have a PC capable of running *any* games, really, so I didn't expect to ever get to play it and was just soaking up the nostalgia from the screenshots. Now I see apparently it's being published through ID@Xbox on the One? Couldn't possibly be more thrilled. Can't wait to pick this up. Looks awesome!

The best part is that you'll be able to play with all of us since the game's going to be cross-platform.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Cross-platform but I should mention before anyone gets worried that you'll be able to restrict a game you host to your own platform if you wish if you're worried about KB+M players going up against people with controllers.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm the forearm sticking out through the shirt.

Looking great! Can't wait for the next build. Hopefully you'll have switches working in that build too, or at least sometime soon... (I really need switches in order to make a good SP map)
i thought you were the backwards head

For the next build I'm hoping to get in new player models + new animations and animation fixes, up to 4 new weapons, switches, the scissor lift special element and ramps/stairs/angled walls. That's a lot and the next build might be as soon as Thursday so we'll see which things don't make it.

Edit:

Because of the animation blending issue, some of the weapons had to have their third person models reduced in size to fit into the players' hands because the hosed-up blending made their hands closer together than they should have been.

They make somewhat more of an impression now:

The concrete saw should be big and intimidating because it can ruin your poo poo in about half a second.

The freezethrower still sucks (it should be freezing players but that functionality needs some fixes) but it didn't help that it was tiny and toy-like.

oh that's what the B stands for

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 25, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Radix posted:

For the next build I'm hoping to get in new player models + new animations and animation fixes, up to 4 new weapons, switches, the scissor lift special element and ramps/stairs/angled walls. That's a lot and the next build might be as soon as Thursday so we'll see which things don't make it.
:awesome:

I'm getting my video card back from RMA this Thursday too. Hopefully that'll all be in the next public release on Thursday, just so that day gets to be extra awesome. I hope we get the Too Rockin' set, the bits of it that you teased look awesome.

:magical: Holy poo poo. I thought it was supposed to be the size of the gauntlet from Quake 3 Arena, not a giant honkin saw.

Also, do you have plans to add the player's arms/hands into the viewmodels for weapons? I'd like to see my player avatar's arms holding weapons, and when I'm using my fists (why does blockoman have human-looking fists for his viewmodel?). Unreal Tournament 3 does this, I'm not sure how difficult it'd be to pull off in Unity but I imagine it's easy enough.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
This stupid video finally uploaded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFdDJZBnKc

:awesome:

I'm getting my video card back from RMA this Thursday too. Hopefully that'll all be in the next public release on Thursday, just so that day gets to be extra awesome. I hope we get the Too Rockin' set, the bits of it that you teased look awesome.

:magical: Holy poo poo. I thought it was supposed to be the size of the gauntlet from Quake 3 Arena, not a giant honkin saw.

Also, do you have plans to add the player's arms/hands into the viewmodels for weapons? I'd like to see my player avatar's arms holding weapons, and when I'm using my fists (why does blockoman have human-looking fists for his viewmodel?). Unreal Tournament 3 does this, I'm not sure how difficult it'd be to pull off in Unity but I imagine it's easy enough.

Honestly I probably won't get everything on that list done in time if the build happens on Thursday so Too Rockin' stuff will be at least another week.

Regarding hands, we'll see since the plan keeps changing on that. It's got more to do with the complexity of setting up different arm assets for each player model (they need to be higher-detail than your player model's actual arms since it's so much nearer to the camera) and either making unique animations for each gun or setting up some kind of grip locators and doing it with IK, or something. So for 40+ guns it'd be somewhere in the range of a moderate amount to a shitload of work.

In the meantime the fists you use for your punch attack were meant to be beefier and hairier and have tattoos and scars and poo poo, the joke being that they wouldn't change even though you're using a female character/whatever. I think the gag got lost in translation somewhere along the way to the artist. It's still an open question, anyway.

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
This is an awesome game. I got to meet up with Ben at GDC, your roadmap is amazing.

I've been working on a single player map, is there a way I can move it from my desktop to my laptop (I'm on a Mac in both cases).

I looked for more obvious stuff, like the Package Contents, but I can't seem to find my map anywhere.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Hey, thanks! And thanks for getting my attention here, I wouldn't have checked the forums on the site again today. I answered your question there anyway just so the answers would be there for other people.

In earlier versions you could maybe do this by shuffling around local cached copies (your maps are in User/Libraries/Caches/Blowfish Studios/Gunscape/Levels btw) but it's currently not possible as far as I know. We'll turn user account registration on soon and then you'll be able to jump between devices easily.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I finally got around to backing this, even though it looks like the kickstarter will fail. Have you guys considered early access? I'd definitely pick this up there.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cicero posted:

I finally got around to backing this, even though it looks like the kickstarter will fail. Have you guys considered early access? I'd definitely pick this up there.

They're working on getting Greenlight status, so Early Access would be a good idea too. However Gunscape's business model is somewhat different from most games: playing in user-made levels is free, but you have to pay for content packs. Free themes are rotated weekly a la League of Legends.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
We'll also be offering the ability to simply "buy the game" and get everything forever. Early Access could be on this basis; a discount on the everything offer plus, well, early access. I think this is how the Xbox version might work, with no in-game purchases at all. Not sure yet though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How long till Devolver Digital is publishing

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

The Radix posted:

Hey, thanks! And thanks for getting my attention here, I wouldn't have checked the forums on the site again today. I answered your question there anyway just so the answers would be there for other people.

In earlier versions you could maybe do this by shuffling around local cached copies (your maps are in User/Libraries/Caches/Blowfish Studios/Gunscape/Levels btw) but it's currently not possible as far as I know. We'll turn user account registration on soon and then you'll be able to jump between devices easily.

Ah thanks for getting back to me in both forums.

I'll just continue my single player map on the desktop. I'll be publishing it shortly, but it won't make much sense until I can lock doors and require a switch to open/unlock them.

Also, I'm trying to do the thing where you can see into the area you want to get to, but it's closed off. I'm using the bathy themed platform, but I just realized you can kind of jump on it and fit through. Any plans to making a solid block that you an see through to the other side? Or making the pillars like the ones for Tremor block the player?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
^Yeah we need a couple more obstacle blocks that don't occlude your vision much. And non-magic windows. It's something I've been meaning to work on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r4ZqtObrGg

The final Kickstarter update has gone up. I didn't read it but the gist is probably that you can still support the game/grab some early supporter features at https://playgunscape.com/purchase
Since we're not beholden to anything we said in the KS now we're not gonna go closed alpha/beta at all now. Updates will probably slow down (I need a chance to actually finish all the poo poo went in 80% done over the last month) but the game will remain open for anybody to play, with complete access to all the themes currently in the game.

Thanks again to everyone that has supported the game so far by pledging or making sweet maps! Nothing is really changing so let's just pretend it succeeded instead of being totally ignored by everyone!

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.
Well $90USD is now yours. I'll have to think of a good skin/face to submit when the time comes.

It'd be great if we were just sent like the the UV map and preview model or something and allowed to make the texture directly as it were. Though that's probably not the most ideal method for both parties.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I dropped 90 bucks on this game too because it is pretty much the best game.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
You guys rock, thanks for the continued support!
I don't know exactly how we're going to do the MySkin thing, ideally I'd be able to whip up a tiny previewer app so people can make their own if they want to. Otherwise you can just tell us what you want and the artists will do something cool for you. I'll ask the art lead in a minute exactly what we're planning but Destra, either way I'll totally hook you up so you can make your own skin. Same for any other goons that take that level and wanna make their own.

Edit: yep, confirmed that this is cool. I'll do a tool at some point so people can export base textures for the player model of their choice (and probably optionally the model file if you want to paint it), edit, import and preview with all the animations.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 1, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, what are the plans for 'default' skins, before buying fancy ones or custom ones? One male and one female per theme would be lovely, but probably a lot of work...

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Every theme should have at least two player models, usually a male and female. Depends on the theme though: the Final Fortress pack contains five (this is in lieu of a unique set of bad guys: instead the enemies will be the robotic Laddy Inc. Green Team), so it's possible some will have fewer. None do yet though.

Individual player models can have alternate textures but for now those'll only be used for the MySkin rewards. We'll do something else with it eventually, maybe for special events.

Here's Space Mariney Football Dude's counterpart, I keep forgetting to put her in:

...Looking at this now I think I might request a couple tweaks to her texture. I'd grab a screenshot with a more interesting pose but my dev machine's tied up atm.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I can't wait for pink Ms. Blocko with comedy block boobs.

You also need to put in the male Stein counterpart.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Oh yeah. I forgot the Stein guy wasn't in the build yet because I've been testing stuff using him for over a week.

Ms. Block-Man is definitely planned! I think there might end up being a couple more goofy variants in different colours like Bomberman family.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

The Radix posted:

Every theme should have at least two player models, usually a male and female. Depends on the theme though: the Final Fortress pack contains five (this is in lieu of a unique set of bad guys: instead the enemies will be the robotic Laddy Inc. Green Team), so it's possible some will have fewer. None do yet though.

Makes sense that some themes would break ranks! And thanks for addressing that. Too many pay-for-appearance things lately have decided that females should have to pay more than males.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

I can't wait for pink Ms. Blocko with comedy block boobs.

You also need to put in the male Stein counterpart.

Gunscape Nexus confirmed.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I was down for the $25 package on the kickstarter, but that seems to be only $10 now on the website. Bargain!

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
A long list of things that aren't done yet: https://playgunscape.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74

There should be an update today, but true to my word I didn't get a chance to finish most of the poo poo I was planning to work on last week! The pace should pick up again soon and we'll try to go back to weekly builds from now.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Bought a Gold Copy from you guys since the Kickstarter didn't go thru (condolences on that) but hopefully this helps out. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, that singleplayer campaign level. Hnnnngh. I can't really check the game out right now (stuck with a laptop and no mouse for the next few days), but I'll definitely be doing so when I get back to my main computer and if it's anywhere near as good as it looks you'll definitely be getting some money from me.

Good luck with the project! And thanks for supporting non-Windows platforms from the get-go!

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Thanks guys!
TooMuchAbstraction please have low expectations it's not even an alpha yet whatever that means.

Tomorrow's build should feature switches so you can start toggling your teleporters and doors (and anything else I have time to add/hook up properly) and lots of miscellaneous fixes, including the freezethrower finally slowing your targets although it'll probably feel crappy still since there's no "you're slowed because you're frozen!" effects or feedback yet. Maybe the Tremor lady avatar too.

Final Fortress weapons have gone back to the artists for changes but they'll hopefully go in next week. Angled walls I think should be put off until the new creative tools (repaint, copy/paste/flip volumes and extrusion) go in because it's a real pain not having them. I hope nobody minds waiting!

Besides ramps the Too Rockin' theme should be ready to go in soon but the dinosaur AI is gonna be a whole big thing that'll probably take a few days so I'm not sure how to prioritise it.
Basically I'm working through this big upcoming feature list and if anyone sees anything there that they're excited about and would like me to work on sooner rather than later I'm convinceable!
Things on my plate right now are (not in any sort of order):
  • Final Fortress weapons
  • Creative tools
  • Ramps/angled walls
  • Too Rockin' terrain blocks and tree props and stuff
  • Dinosaurs, multiple
  • Nazi guards and robutt
  • Bathyscape zombies and big diver dude
  • The Final Fortress scissor lift special element
  • Bathyscape special elements (security cameras, turrets, manhacks)
  • Stein special elements (trap doors, moving sawblades and a pushwall-style sliding block)
  • Too Rockin' special elements (vertically moving temple block, dart trap block, Prince of Persia extending spike trap)

edit:

(From an upcoming multiplayer mode.)

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 9, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Hey, no worries, I know what alphas are like. I'm just glad to see someone operating in this space. Best of luck to you and your team!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Radix posted:

[*]Stein special elements (pushwall-style sliding block)

Yessssss

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
We've got plenty of guns already. When are you planning on adding capes?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
What this game needs is hats and a hat store! :eng101:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Clearly what it needs is a Super Noah's Ark 3D theme

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Actually, how does the engine play with 1st person sprite weapons and sprite characters (ala Doom era)?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Sprite enemies we're not doing because they're a LOT of work, and I can't remember why were not doing it for any guns. Consistency probably. But they were both originally intended so should work fine with just a little effort. It'd be cool to support both by the time we let people mod in stuff.

circ dick soleil posted:

We've got plenty of guns already. When are you planning on adding capes?

Please refer to my google alerts folder for all your guns + capes related needs.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Can you add a player option so that you can choose whether guns are right/center/left aligned?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to downloading the demo and giving it a shot. I played the "The Climb, Single Player" level, and had a blast...up until the end. Grabbed the BFG at the top of the spire, jumped...and the game hung. No error messages, nothing. I was playing the OSX version, .2.5262m.

Is there a particular time when there's likely to be people online to try out multiplayer?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Can you add a player option so that you can choose whether guns are right/center/left aligned?
I have a vague memory of coding this and never using it months ago when the first weapons were being set up. It's planned so when we start putting in the expanded settings screens I'll find out whether it still works!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Finally got around to downloading the demo and giving it a shot. I played the "The Climb, Single Player" level, and had a blast...up until the end. Grabbed the BFG at the top of the spire, jumped...and the game hung. No error messages, nothing. I was playing the OSX version, .2.5262m.

Is there a particular time when there's likely to be people online to try out multiplayer?

During the Kickstarter you had a 50/50 chance of there being a game running whenever you jumped in but it's slowed down a bit. People seem to be making levels at a decent pace but at least during the times I'm on MP games seem much rarer. You might have to get a friend to play or rope in some goons or something.

I was considering setting up an irc room for finding opponents but idk there must be a better way.

Edit: wow, that The Climb level rules.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 14, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
You guys gotta update this thread when you release new builds.

Version 0.2.5317 notes posted:

Improvements to the trigger system
Lighting system optimisations
Bunch of new blocks for the new Too Rockin' theme pack (more to come shortly!)
Two new guns! X24 Lobster a jackhammer plasma rifle with projectiles that explode when they hit living targets, and the Buffalo X4 a magazineless quad rocker launcher

:neckbeard:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Yeah, you're right. I have this strong impulse to attach gifs to any update news though and got sidetracked while trying to figure out how to show off the weapons. Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good vine-style service for sharing micro-videos? That'd be perfect for demonstrating guns (because audio is such an important element) but I can do without the wannabe social network or restrictive iphone poo poo.

We're embracing the "dimensional overlap" thing with skyboxes--intentionally this time! This'll be cool in conjunction with skybox trigger blocks that'll let you change them mid-level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
This looks really cool, don't have much else to say, but uh yeah, really cool

• Locked thread