Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This seems like a pretty cool idea.

How long until someone creates a map that is portions of some of the most (in)famous FPS deathmatch maps ever linked by teleporters? Like you're fighting on DE_Dust and then run through a doorway into Goldeneye's Facility, then into a teleporter and you're suddenly in Blood Gultch with Facing Worlds floating above it.

It probably wouldn't work out nearly as well as it sounds in my head though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This seems like a pretty cool idea.

How long until someone creates a map that is portions of some of the most (in)famous FPS deathmatch maps ever linked by teleporters? Like you're fighting on DE_Dust and then run through a doorway into Goldeneye's Facility, then into a teleporter and you're suddenly in Blood Gultch with Facing Worlds floating above it.

It probably wouldn't work out nearly as well as it sounds in my head though.
Fun fact: facility was once an official CS map.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!
This game makes me happy beyond words, you have my kickstarter dollars.

I really wanted the single barreled shotgun, so I made it!

iopred fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 1, 2014

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
If this allowed me to add my own models I'd be so happy. Are there any plans for this?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Since the green ammo type is supposed to be "chemical" you really ought to change the symbol used from the nuke symbol to a biohazard symbol or something.

Also when are we going to get enemies in the public build? I want to make some single-player maps!

Also also, you should name the free to play version of the game "gunscape navigator."

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 1, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
^I agree, and ASAP, but ASAP might not be until next week, sorry. Currently working on important stuff like skyboxes, default weapons, new junk like teleporters, CTF mode and maybe a couple new weapons there's time. After that, what types of enemies would you wanna see first? I'm leaning towards the fish zombies/big diving suit guys + security cameras/turrets/manhacks for the first singleplayer update.

iopred posted:

This game makes me happy beyond words, you have my kickstarter dollars.

I really wanted the single barreled shotgun, so I made it!
Sweet. That'd fit right in.

Colon Semicolon posted:

If this allowed me to add my own models I'd be so happy. Are there any plans for this?

I definitely want workshop support at least so you can reskin whatever with your own cosmetic changes locally. Letting players create their own content that'll be visible to other players (which'd be fine for some things but is kinda problematic for others) is something that's been discussed and I think the feeling is "eventually" but not planned any time soon.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I personally would like to see the puppy/harpy from the Tremor set, as well as the diving suit man from Bathyscape. Right now I would prefer diversity among enemy types, so if they're all disparate that's fine.

Also suggestion: I really think you should make the decoration props for Bierenstein models instead of sprites. I get that you're channeling Wolf but it feels out of place compared to every other theme's models.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 3, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Oh poo poo iopred that Sixth map is quake as poo poo, sweet.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Also suggestion: I really think you should make the decoration props for Bierenstein models instead of sprites. I get that you're channeling Wolf but it feels out of place compared to every other theme's models.

Okay.

I think I'll let players choose instead of having one or the other though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Did you just make those? You work fast!

I think making it a choice is best, too. Gunscape is all about creativity, and part of that is giving users the choice to do what they want.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Haha, nope, they've been sitting around for a few days. There's a fair chunk of art that's finished but I'm the bottleneck for it actually getting into the game, and Kickstarter has been taking up most of my time for the past two or three weeks.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Sounds like you need a community manager for that kind of thing or something.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Yep. That was going to be my main request if the kickstarter took off but welp.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

The Radix posted:

Oh poo poo iopred that Sixth map is quake as poo poo, sweet.

I'm remaking Q2DM1 also, it's a bit trickier because of all the roundness.

I tweaked the UVW's (they were a bit crooked), it's about as good as it'll get, the files are here if you ever wanted to use it:
https://mega.co.nz/#!sBdBBC7D!6-n_NqAUc2cwBqrvNex4y5xCXyxQ98mG3XNxiaskb-w

iopred fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Tried the demo for the first time tonight, ended up 1v1ing some dude named Twist across a couple gloriously stupid maps. It was awesome. Will definitely be backing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Suggestion: implement a "low-violence mode" (replace gibs with fades, blood with sparks). I realize such a mode for this kind of game sounds silly and most goons won't care, but this is the kind of thing I'd love to play with some of my nephews, and their moms would likely frown on blowing people up into giblets. Making the game more kid-friendly would probably help it spread more virally, especially since the level design is minecraft-ish and it has an editor.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I think that's a cool idea because everyone wants to add more blood and we're trying to be kind of restrained, but a kids mode would be better so we can go balls-out. I've suggested serious sam-style flower gibs a couple times, I'll bring it up again when things slow down a bit.

Neat new stuff today:

Skyboxes!

Feels really nice after being in the dark void for so long. When we release the next build you'll be able to pick your window and sky scenes independently. Also you'll be able to set the starting gun and ammo now.

Palette-animated acid!

It stings!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Radix posted:

I think that's a cool idea because everyone wants to add more blood and we're trying to be kind of restrained, but a kids mode would be better so we can go balls-out. I've suggested serious sam-style flower gibs a couple times, I'll bring it up again when things slow down a bit.
For a good genre-centric example, check out Quake Live. Characters sort of de-rez into loud bright sparks when gibbed, which seems like a reasonable solution.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Progress on this is looking hella good, going to have to try this out again! Great work.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Downloaded it yesterday and gave it a quick whirl (just the editor). I think Minecraft might have damaged me, because the first thing I tried to build was a lovely wooden shack.
What was the thought about having blocks be one character high, instead of the MinecraftTM standard of two blocks? That threw me of in the beginning.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I hope Yogscast will take a look at this game.

Oh god, YES!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Radix posted:

Palette-animated acid!

It stings!

:gizz:

I absolutely love palette animated stuff and I hope you include more of it in the game. Palette-animated water/lava, palette-animated lights and stuff, you can do all kinds of neat poo poo.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

The Radix posted:

Palette-animated acid!

It stings!

Sweet jesus, I'm in love.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This looks super fun. Definitely going to follow this and see if i can get some of my buddies interested.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
In the event this doesn't get funded on KS, will you open a PayPal or something so we can help fund anyway? I want to give you guys my money one way or another.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

The Radix posted:

Palette-animated acid!

It stings!

The correct scientific term is "nukage".

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
I just call em painfloors.

Iacen posted:

Downloaded it yesterday and gave it a quick whirl (just the editor). I think Minecraft might have damaged me, because the first thing I tried to build was a lovely wooden shack.
What was the thought about having blocks be one character high, instead of the MinecraftTM standard of two blocks? That threw me of in the beginning.
Couple reasons, mainly because it lets you do decent-sized features so the textures and props look nice and not like they're crowing themselves. Gameplay-wise we don't need to go smaller, since the objective is making level layouts, so this way you can build stuff a lot faster.
Yeah, it means you can't do quarter-block-sized details but I think it's more than worth the tradeoff.

In the event this doesn't get funded on KS, will you open a PayPal or something so we can help fund anyway? I want to give you guys my money one way or another.
Thanks. I think so.

It's probably too late to save the Kickstarter, but if anyone has any youtuber or games press friends and wants to point them this way it'd be appreciated. I've done what I can and even though people seem pretty uniformly enthusiastic about this thing we just aren't getting any eyes on the campaign page. I'm hoping to be able to make an announcement soon that'll help but... we'll see.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Did you ask Yogscast? I have sent an email to RPS. Maybe they'll post something.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Total Biscuit may be a decent guy to try contacting as well. This seems like something he'd possibly enjoy and he'd be fantastic publicity.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wait. You haven't gotten anything from RPS? Which sites have talked about this game? Your KS might be failing simply because nobody knows about it. I do know Worlds of Wander (a similar project but for platformers, started by Commander Keen creator Tom Hall) didn't get funded because nobody knew about it. Get RPS, Yogscast, TotalBiscuit, all of those motherfuckers on the horn, I guarantee there's enough people out there who would fund this.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
This looks fun but the feeling of the movement doesn't feel great to me. Is that something you are still working on? Or am I just dumb and it controls are perfectly? Can you justify the way it play? Like why do you think it plays at least as well as Quake or UT?

I mean you don't have to justify it to me personally, I don't even have to money to back it. But I think if you get the feeling of the movement and the gameplay down right it could be something that people play for a while instead of just a novelty people play for a bit and get bored with.

People still play Quake and UT, and people will continue to play Call of Duty and Halo for years to come because they got the feel of controlling the character right. That's one of the most important parts of the long term success of a game like this.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, what i miss in the movement is a bit of sliding around and coming to a halt. I think the word i'm looking for is momentum.
The editor feels nice. Gonna be fun trying to make a decent map with this.

iopred
Aug 14, 2005

Heli Attack!

Humans Among Us posted:

Yeah, what i miss in the movement is a bit of sliding around and coming to a halt. I think the word i'm looking for is momentum.
The editor feels nice. Gonna be fun trying to make a decent map with this.

The movement in general is not as fast as in Quake/Wolfenstein, but seems the right pace for the Bioshock tileset.

Speaking of momentum, the one thing about the jump platforms I've noticed is that you can stop your momentum while in the air. Which means a lot of trips to the void. In Quake 3 you could influence your trajectory, but not completely change it.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Is something weird with the newest patch or on my end? I can't see my old maps on the edit list and there seems to be no maps available to host for MP along with the display of a 'No Offline Maps Found' message.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Wait. You haven't gotten anything from RPS? Which sites have talked about this game? Your KS might be failing simply because nobody knows about it. I do know Worlds of Wander (a similar project but for platformers, started by Commander Keen creator Tom Hall) didn't get funded because nobody knew about it. Get RPS, Yogscast, TotalBiscuit, all of those motherfuckers on the horn, I guarantee there's enough people out there who would fund this.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try sending off some more emails now. RPS got an email before of course but I'll give it another shot. It does seem to me to be a case of nobody knowing about it rather than actual indifference or people hating it or anything.

iopred posted:

Speaking of momentum, the one thing about the jump platforms I've noticed is that you can stop your momentum while in the air. Which means a lot of trips to the void. In Quake 3 you could influence your trajectory, but not completely change it.

Oh, I'll look into this. You shouldn't be able to stop yourself mid-air from those green arrow boost things (except maybe by using shotgun recoil or a well-placed rocket etc), just steer around a bit or overshoot/undershoot. I made some changes to the way momentum works a week or two ago, it could be related to that.

As for player movement having a bit of inertia/slide to it, what do other people think? Personally I prefer the abrupt movement, but it was implemented during an earlier phase of the design that would have had a greater emphasis on tricky platforming, so I might not have given due consideration to classic-style character momentum.

Everdraed posted:

Is something weird with the newest patch or on my end? I can't see my old maps on the edit list and there seems to be no maps available to host for MP along with the display of a 'No Offline Maps Found' message.
Give it another shot and let me know if it's still broke. We just did something to the map server that might have put it offline for a couple minutes.

Edit: confirmed, just a server hiccup.
BTW we updated the Kickstarter video, it now features a lot of Everdraed's maps and you guys dying from that session I was recording the other day.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 4, 2014

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Just played for the first time tonight. I am dying for a Jedi Knight pack.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
If in future you allow user-created models, please have stringent texture and model size limits, otherwise the first thing people will do is upload poorly-conceived 'HD' versions of everything with 1024x1024 textures and way too many polys :geno:

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
I forgot to mention this before, but I've noticed when I get a new build my firewall blocks it by default, and then the game just blocks on startup with a black screen and I can't even exit it.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Any possibility of a medieval tileset for us Heretic/Hexen/Thief fans in the audience? :)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/04/gunscape-fps-construction-kit/ :)

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The Radix posted:

As for player movement having a bit of inertia/slide to it, what do other people think? Personally I prefer the abrupt movement, but it was implemented during an earlier phase of the design that would have had a greater emphasis on tricky platforming, so I might not have given due consideration to classic-style character momentum.

I also really enjoy the abruptness. Platforming is really easy for me because of it, and frankly jumping from place to place is very fun when I know I'm not gonna slide off the end of a platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
This looks really cool, and I'll absolutely back it, however would it be possible to disable joystick key bindings completely, or maybe you can already? I tried remapping in the input tab but it didn't seem to do much, is there a config file someplace I can edit?

The reason is that unity does not want to play at all with joysticks that have more than the standard amount of axes, and it will just randomly assign functions to them. It wouldn't be so bad if it was sensical in a way that zero input would to an axis would mean zero input in the game, but it doesn't. If I spawn in game with the stick connected unity will just tell the game that it is constantly receiving input and run me off an edge somewhere.

Every single unity game I've played have had these issues in early development, so you are not the first developer that missed this.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread